News tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Girl With the Dragon Tattoo to Be Hard R, Fincher for Trilogy?

We've known since earlier this year that David Fincher would be directing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake, the first in Sony's re-adaptation of the popular Millennium Trilogy. In addition to Fincher's directing, we've even heard that Daniel Craig had landed one of the lead roles in the flick, and there's been plenty of rumors of actresses like Carey Mulligan potentially snagging a lead role. Now we're finally getting wind of the style and tone for the American take on the series as The Wrap interviewed Sony's co-chair Amy Pascal who revealed the films will be "very R-rated" and hopefully Fincher will be on-board for all of them.

SlashFilm scoured the extended interview and found this relevant bit from Pascal in regards to the trilogy:

"We're going to really do this, in all their glory. Otherwise why do it? They're very R-rated movies. It's the shock of what's really going on underneath the surface of society. If you don't actually make good on that, you haven't told the story."

In addition, Fincher is ready to direct all three installments and so is Pascal: "I'm hoping he will. And he's hoping he will." How soon can we expect to see the trilogy get off the ground? "Well, I'm going to try to get these movies out as fast as possible. But, you know, we'll have the first one next Christmas. :?: And hopefully, the next two as quick as I can get them. We're trying to figure that out now." And if the critical reception for the Swedish version (at least the first film) is any indicator, there should be plenty of people looking forward to Fincher's version, especially if he has free reign to be as violent, gritty and loyal to the books as possible.

source: http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/07/19/ ... r-trilogy/

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

More of the same...

It’s a good time to be David Fincher.

Though the film hasn’t yet been released, he’s reportedly made Sony very happy with The Social Network. (If the trailer is any indication, he may make audiences very happy, too.) And he’s putting together a new film version of Stieg Larsson’s novel The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. The central role of Lisbeth Salander has yet to be cast, and many young actresses seem to want it. Basically, Fincher has his pick of just about anyone working now.

We’ve wondered what Fincher’s version of the story would look like, and Sony co-chairman Amy Pascal has some interesting things to say, including that it will be rather intense.
Speaking to The Wrap, Pascal said that Sony and Fincher are going to do “a global search” for the new Lisbeth Salander (which, by all accounts, has been going on for a while) and that the director’s take on the material will be faithful and serious.

We’re doing the book. That’s why we hired David Fincher. We’re going to really do this, in all their glory. Otherwise why do it? They’re very R-rated movies. It’s the shock of what’s really going on underneath the surface of society. If you don’t actually make good on that, you haven’t told the story.

This makes Fincher’s take sound more promising. Not because he might serve up a lot of violence and intensity, which the original Swedish film version certainly has.

But I thought the primary failing of the original was a reluctance to really engage with what was going on. The book’s title directly translates to Men Who Hate Women, and there’s no small amount of violence against women done in the film. But despite being graphic, the presentation felt very removed. I’d like to see Fincher and screenwriter Steve Zaillian more directly engage the idea behind the thriller, and Pascal seems to be promising exactly that.

There are also a few other details in the long interview. For one, Pascal says she expects Fincher to direct all three films adapting the three novels by Larsson. Asked if she would expect Fincher to direct the trilogy, Pascal says, “Yeah, I would like it. I’m hoping he will. And he’s hoping he will.”

Once everyone is cast, it sounds like this is a machine Pascal wants to get into motion quickly. “Well, I’m going to try to get these movies out as fast as possible. But, you know, we’ll have the first one next Christmas. And hopefully, the next two as quick as I can get them. We’re trying to figure that out now.”

And, for what it’s worth, Pascal shies away from saying that Daniel Craig has been cast as Mikael Blomkvist. When asked if they’ve confirmed the lead in the movie, before asking about Salander’s role, Pascal says, “No, we have not.”

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/07/19/son ... e-trilogy/
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Guess, they won´t say anything, before they have the girl :lol: Because if he confirms Daniel now, it will be all over the net and my guess is, they want to announce both at their own good time. I don´t worry...

"For what its worth" just shows, that its not necessarely the truth, but probably their way of saying "We are not ready yet to announce anybody". I say - by the end of this month, we have the announcement. :D

Everybody seems to be happy with that casting, so why wouldn´t they go with him? Unless, of course, its Daniel himself, who doesn´t want to or cannot take the role, for whatever reason - but I don´t believe that, Its too good a role to turn down.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

calypso

Post by calypso »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-10568996

Some of Inception's action sequences clearly owe a lot to James Bond. Nolan has admitted 007 was a big influence.

With the Bond franchise in uncertain territory, how does DiCaprio feel about stepping into Daniel Craig's secret agent shoes?

"I think he's doing a terrific job," laughs Dicaprio. "I wouldn't dare think of that at this moment. I think he's an excellent Bond - don't you? - I think he's fantastic. You guys should be very proud!
"
ImageImage
calypso

Post by calypso »

Liev and Naomi at Angelina's Salt premiere.

All that missing is Daniel! He work with so many people yes?
ImageImage
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

I actually thought Angelina looked good for once, nice dress, healthy glow and a sprouting goaty-less partner in tow :twisted:
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111802 ... nt=Twitter

Sony is moving forward with its English-language reboot of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." Studio has dated the pic for a Dec. 21, 2011, release and is continuing talks with Daniel Craig to star.

"Dragon" is the first installment in author Stieg Larsson's hit Swedish trilogy, which was adapted first by Danish helmer Niels Arden Oplev that became one of the year's top specialty pics, grossing $12.1 million. Sony's rendition will be directed by David Fincher from a script by Steven Zaillian. Scott Rudin will produce.

Craig, who developed a good relationship with Sony after toplining the most recent "Bond" pics, would play a disgraced financial journalist hired to investigate the case of a missing woman. "Dragon's" title role has yet to be cast; it's expected that Sony will go with an unknown.

Sony hopes "Dragon" will launch a new franchise for the studio. The holiday launch pad reps a vote of confidence for the pic, given that Christmas typically is a B.O. boom time.

The second pic of the Swedish-lingo productions, "The Girl Who Played With Fire," from Music Box, bowed July 9 and has to date cumed an impressive $3.9 million in the United States.
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Never thought, I would say this, but f*** Bond. I didn´t write this down, because I was being superstitious, but those were my thoughts, that scheduling problems might get into his way of playing Blomkvist. Mind you, its not over yet, but what I thought was - with Bond being a franchise and with C&A, which they want to become a franchise - how can he get involved with yet annother? A high class problem to have, yes, but still a problem. Lets hope, they sort it out. At least give him some breathing space after C&A and start not in September but October etc.
At this point, I´d rather see him loosing Bond then Tatoo.

But its great, they are so set to get him. After all, its one of the most prestigious roles in Hollywood right now. Shows his reputation has finally arrived in H´wood :D
Good thing is - when they continue talking, they are REALLY trying.

Sony Pictures Skeds 'Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' - But Two Leads Not Set Yet
EXCLUSIVE... UPDATE: The plot is thickening on the David Fincher-directed adaptation of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the internationally hot Stieg Larsson mystery novel. Of course, with the Swedish film version having made $100+M worldwide so far this year, many quarters are predicting that Sony Pictures will screw up the Hollywood version. Today, the studio set a December 21, 2011 release date for the film -- even though the two leads are not locked in. The studio continues talking with Daniel Craig to play publisher Mikael Blomkvist, but sources tell me there's a scheduling problem for him involving the long delayed next Bond pic and Cowboys & Aliens. (BTW - this is from Nikki Finke, who is a rather reliable source)
The studio is also signing test deals with a group of young actresses dying to play the complex role of Lisbeth Salander. While Carey Mulligan, Ellen Page, and Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) have been mentioned as possible Lisbeth candidates, i'm told others include Emily Browning (Sucker Punch), Sara Snook (Sleeping Beauty), Rooney Mara (The Social Network) and Sophie Lowe (Blame). Some have submitted their own tapes to director David Fincher already, while others will test shortly for the role. It's a process similar to the one Sony orchestrated before choosing Andrew Garfield to play Spider-Man. Meanwhile, I hear Fincher is telling actresses to working on their Swedish accents, which indicates the novel may not Americanized. The book was adapted by Steve Zaillian and is being produced by Scott Rudin, who just worked with Fincher on The Social Network, also for Sony Pictures.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/columbi ... more-55187

PLEASE NOT Ellen Page! She would ruin the character. She was ok in Inception, but you can always tell when she’s acting.

Daniel Craig, on the other hand, would be perfect as Mikael Blomkvist.

I have yet to read, someone doesn´t approve of him in this role...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Germangirl wrote:Never thought, I would say this, but f*** Bond.
Germangirl wrote:The studio continues talking with Daniel Craig to play publisher Mikael Blomkvist, but sources tell me there's a scheduling problem for him involving the long delayed next Bond pic and Cowboys & Aliens. (BTW - this is from Nikki Finke, who is a rather reliable source)
I acknowledge there have been some benefits to Daniel having done Bond, but wonder how many other lovely and challenging scripts he has missed because of it. :roll:

I will spit feathers if he misses Tattoo for the sake of running around in a tuxedo.

Apologies. I know that view is not popular. :oops:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:The studio continues talking with Daniel Craig to play publisher Mikael Blomkvist, but sources tell me there's a scheduling problem for him involving the long delayed next Bond pic and Cowboys & Aliens. (BTW - this is from Nikki Finke, who is a rather reliable source)
I acknowledge there have been some benefits to Daniel having done Bond, but wonder how many other lovely and challenging scripts he has missed because of it. :roll:

I will spit feathers if he misses Tattoo for the sake of running around in a tuxedo.

It might become more popular :wink: I feel, this is a role, he really would want to do,too. It has everything he likes in a character.

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Germangirl wrote:
JEC57 wrote:

It might become more popular :wink: I feel, this is a role, he really would want to do,too. It has everything he likes in a character.
JEC - :shock: :shock: :shock: Pick your feather of choice! :wink:

bubita

Post by bubita »

The studio is also signing test deals with a group of young actresses dying to play the complex role of Lisbeth Salander. While Carey Mulligan, Ellen Page, and Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) have been mentioned as possible Lisbeth candidates.

Mia wasikowska play Chaya in Defiance.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1985859/
Linda

Post by Linda »

Let's hope Daniel can do all the movies, Bond and Tatoo. I want to see him in all kinds of different roles, he can do it. But lets hope he can have a rest in between moives and that he does not get too tired, or hurt, or sick, or fed up. On one hand I worry about the dear man and on the other hand - make lots of movies, Daniel. It is all up to him! He knows what he can do.
calypso

Post by calypso »

i think it not this tatoo filming that problem it the other two films in trilogy. as we know bond takes about 6 months to film so sony want to sign daniel up for three films and they will film back to back i think, so filming bond movie will cause the chaos with that.
that the problem. but i say if sony/fincher really want daniel they will work with him. after all they realize daniel have first to honor bond filming. it seem daniel under contract for third film, if he not there would not be schduling problems.

i would like him to do tatoo trilogy more than bond. i think it will be better for him as actor, he can show his range more.
it would be shame for him to lose this opportunity because of another franchise that is not even close to sorting out problems.

is my thoughts only. :?
ImageImage
Miss-Meow

Post by Miss-Meow »

I'd like to see Daniel do them all (just being a little bit greedy :wink: ).

I know I might be alone in this, but I really really want him to do another Bond. My reasons for this - I didn't think much of QoS and, as he won't be Bond forever, I would like him to go out on a better movie than QoS. CR showed a little of what could be done with Bond - one more Bond movie starring as 007 (as long as it's a high standard of movie) would be my hope!
"I shouldn't love you" ("Our Friends in the North") / "Fire up the Quattro!" (DCI Gene Hunt, "Ashes to Ashes")