News tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

calypso

Post by calypso »

http://www.laineygossip.com/Mobile/Deta ... ardashians

We’ll get to his criticism of reality show famewhores in a minute.

First...

Can we admire how good he looks through the lens of half of my obsession, Sam Taylor-Wood? Because while we mostly talk about her in the context of her marriage and child-bearingness with Aaron Johnson, she is a proper artist. And she photographed Daniel Craig for the new issue of British GQ. The pictures are gorgeous. He’s been looking a little harsh lately. Her camera, it fixed that. I love the light. I love how she caught him in a moment of softness, in sharp contrast to how cantankerous he seems these days every time he gives an interview.

Is a high five the expected reaction? Am I supposed to cheer, “Word up, Daniel!” to his comments about famewhoring?

“I think there's a lot to be said for keeping your own counsel. It's not about being afraid to be public with your emotions or about who you are and what you stand for. But if you sell it off it's gone. You can't buy it back - you can't buy your privacy back. Ooh I want to be alone. F*** you. We've been in your living room. We were at your birth. You filmed it for us and showed us the placenta and now you want some privacy? Look at the Kardashians, they're worth millions. I don't think they were that badly off to begin with but now look at them. You see that and you think ‘what, you mean all I have to do is behave like a f***ing idiot on television and then you'll pay me millions’. I'm not judging it - well, I am obviously.”

Yes, he’s right. Yes, they’re shameless. Yes, they are rich from being shameless. But ultimately, they’re all courting the same audience, aren’t they? Daniel Craig makes mass market movies. And Celebrity is a Venn diagram. Daniel Craig isn’t an independent circle. Where else do people like Daniel Craig and Kim Kardashian intersect in addition to the audience? We don’t talk enough about how Hollywood publicists, the ones who represent the A List stars, also represent the twatty reality ones too. There’s a new book out called How Famous People Make Money by Jo Piazza. The author posits that about 10 years ago, the demand for Celebrity exceeded the supply, thus the birth of the Reality Star. I agree with the hypothesis. There was no coup d’etat . There was no new regime installed to rewrite the industry. The industry created these fake losers. The same industry that also continues to support the legitimate players. A very simple analogy would be a company that produces both high end, luxury handbags and other items while also selling cheaper goods, all under the same umbrella.

The question is - and I don’t know the answer, I’m just asking you to think about it another way and maybe we can discuss it later during the liveblog and you can tell me I’m dumb - whether or not Daniel Craig, the $4,000 alligator tote, is allowed to criticise the $30 pleather one without blaming the Big Boss, ultimately, for making it in the first place...?

Famewhoring and celebrity strategy weren’t invented by Jersey Shore and those assholes on The Hills. The basic principles of famewhoring where introduced to us by the Movie Star Machine. The reality stars just came along and modified it - to grotesque proportions, certainly, but that doesn’t absolve the originators, and the modern movie stars they work for, from the inception.

I wonder if it isn’t too obvious to be all like, f-ck the Kardashians, hate them so much, blah blah blah without actually addressing a system that made them a success in the first place, the same system that helped those like Daniel Craig.

For example - they say they hate getting papped and they wish the paps would leave them alone. Fine. But the paps make most of their money from the magazines. Not just the trashy ones but the celebrity friendly ones. Like PEOPLE. So PEOPLE publishes the pap shot and 6 months later also gets an exclusive interview with the person hating the pap shot. No, they don’t have the right to tell the magazine what photos it can and can’t print, but they do have the right to say that they’re not speaking with a publication that actively supports the paparazzi industry.

Daniel Craig can’t actively remove himself from a toxic ecosystem that keeps pushing for a level of engagement he’s not comfortable fulfilling. He wants to act. He wants to make movies. He has to live there. How then does he justify his choice? He justifies it by hating on elements of the system - paps, media, Ebola Hilton - without actually addressing the rot in the infrastructure. Like all celebrities, he’s applying easy blame.

Ultimately though, as Sarah from Cinesnark said to me the other day, all it is is complaining. Daniel Craig’s Kardashian criticism is a big fat Whine. Like, for you and me, parts of our jobs can suck and we have to live with it, but for celebrities, there shouldn’t be any sucking. At all. That’s what I’m hearing when I read about Daniel Craig sh-tting on Kardashian. And f-ck him for making me write an entire article where I don’t get to sh-t on Kardashian.

And just once I wish we could get him to talk about his wedding/marriage - or NOT talk about his wedding/marriage - without so much hostility.

“We got away with it. We did it privately and I've got a lot of people to thank for that. But that was the point, we did it for private reasons. Because we didn't want it f-cked up, because that would be sharing a secret. And the whole point is that it was a secret. A secret is a secret in my mind. Look, I'm in love. I'm very happy. And that is as far as I'm prepared to go. Life is long, life goes wrong and I don't want to say something now that might be thrown back later.”

Even his happiness has to have an asterisk, non?

So no, I’m not high fiving myself over his awesomeness. All I can think about is why he’s such a misanthrope.
Last edited by calypso on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
calypso

Post by calypso »

Edit
Last edited by calypso on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
caramel

Post by caramel »

Dunda wrote:Daniel Craig has ‘personal’ tattoos (go figure :lol: )

Daniel Craig says his new tattoos are “part of a stage” he is in.

“There are mine. They are two very personal tattoos. Yes, they are [new]. They’re just part of a stage I’m in.

“You should see the rest of my body. Then you’d be intrigued. Oh boy. It’s been a very complicated couple of years,” he laughed to the January edition of GQ.

source: http://www.film-news.co.uk/show-news.asp?nItemID=8455
Hmm - clubbing the two quotes I feel his new tattoos have a conn to his falling in love and making those imp changes in his life.
Poor baby - glad he is able to laugh about it now.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Hmmmm I actually had to look up the term "misanthrope" :lol: :lol:

After reading Lainey's article I thought it maybe means something different in English than in German.

But it means the same, so Lainey, I'M sorry I really don't get your point. :wink:

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
calypso

Post by calypso »

Dunda wrote:Hmmmm I actually had to look up the term "misanthrope" :lol: :lol:

After reading Lainey's article I thought it maybe means something different in English than in German.

But it means the same, so Lainey, I'M sorry I really don't get your point. :wink:
i think wht she trying to s ay is that as he still part of fame game no matter what level he at, he shouldnt hate others who play it as well. as a person who depends on people liking them to make money (clothes, shoes, films) is just that in the fame game. no matter if theya re nice about it or not, everyone in entertaiment industry is selling themsleves. no matter is they appear to be not selling thmeselves. they are the commodity.

is what i get from it, i voice no opinion part from what is how i am reading it from her article is all. :wink:

'misanthrope', why hate all when you are in same industry no matter that you at at the higher level of it, i read it that way but again, i offer how i udnerstand it not that i agree nor disagreee please.
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I think his whole point is, that if you play the game like they do, you have lost your right to complain about intrusion and I agree.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

calypso

Post by calypso »

Germangirl wrote:I think his whole point is, that if you play the game like they do, you have lost your right to complain about intrusion and I agree.
i agree that his point but he only given them more airtime which they dont deseerve even if bad comment. no such thing as bad publicity

i would rather he kept his interviews to films and little tidbits into his personal life, this is wrong type of attention, he free to express them and his feelings but we all know they are idiots, his precious time he could have talked about something else i feel, more on tattoo maybe, more on fincher more on important things to his fans as i sure his fans don't even entertain people like kardahsians. i dont care about them so i dont want someone i admire talking about somethings I don't. does that make sense? him getting angry/upset/outspoken about them is a waste of energy as there will always be people like them around in in the social media because there is a section of public who want people like that.
:D
Last edited by calypso on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
khenton

Post by khenton »

mis·an·thrope noun \ˈmi-sən-ˌthrōp\

Definition of MISANTHROPE

: a person who hates or distrusts humankind

direct slam. No doubt about it. But I don't get the idea that cause you think someone's behavior is whacked you hate humanity. She can't defend the Kardasians I mean who could, but can't resist a slam whenever she can. On the other hand, funny, how she just can't help but admire those photos. Sour grapes IMO :wink: k
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Can't but agree on some, what's been said about better staying out of it, but - so far - it seems like a fresh wind into the dusty corners of trash celeb acceptance, which many seem respond to very positive. I mean over this day, there have been thousands of replies to the DM story, the twitter was burning with it and it was almost 95% agreement. So obviously he hit a nerve - willingly or unwillingly..

Lainey always hits at him for being the private person he is and calls it whining. She would be right, if he wasn't doing what is needed to promote his films, but he does and at length. But this is all he owes the public and his profession in his book. No more, no less. He makes that clear, when asked and that is not whining, that is standing true to his opinion and way of living. Of course, that doesn't sit well with people, who live off people like the K's. But he will make his career without the 5 fingers raised by those or sell his soul to their goodwill.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

khenton wrote:But I don't get the idea that cause you think someone's behavior is whacked you hate humanity.
That's exactly what I thought when I read that scribble of her :lol:

That's why I thought "misanthrope" means something different in Lainy's vocabluary, because the regular meaning "Misanthropy is generalized dislike, distrust, disgust, contempt or hatred of the human species or human nature" is surely not fitting :lol:

khenton

Post by khenton »

Dunda wrote:
khenton wrote:But I don't get the idea that cause you think someone's behavior is whacked you hate humanity.
That's exactly what I thought when I read that scribble of her :lol:

That's why I thought "misanthrope" means something different in Lainy's vocabluary, because the regular meaning "Misanthropy is generalized dislike, distrust, disgust, contempt or hatred of the human species or human nature" is surely not fitting :lol:
Don't get her! :dunno: k
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

calypso wrote:
Dunda wrote:Hmmmm I actually had to look up the term "misanthrope" :lol: :lol:

i think wht she trying to s ay is that as he still part of fame game no matter what level he at, he shouldnt hate others who play it as well. as a person who depends on people liking them to make money (clothes, shoes, films) is just that in the fame game. no matter if theya re nice about it or not, everyone in entertaiment industry is selling themsleves. no matter is they appear to be not selling thmeselves. they are the commodity.

is what i get from it, i voice no opinion part from what is how i am reading it from her article is all. :wink:

'misanthrope', why hate all when you are in same industry no matter that you at at the higher level of it, i read it that way but again, i offer how i udnerstand it not that i agree nor disagreee please.
I understand where she's coming from, I just think she didn't even has the slightest understanding of what Daniel was saying here.

He slammed the K, not for being on a stupid TV show, he's talking about selling privacy and your life and yourself as a person on the market.

IMO Lainey is dead wrong in saying that being in the industry alwasy mean you are selling yourself. I guess that's the dumbest statement I every heard.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Of course, doing promotion is partly promoting and hence selling yourself - like trying to be a nice guy, when you promote your movie, BUT its a matter of how far you go IMO. For many out there, he doesn't go far enough, hence the hating.Outside of his films, he doesn't feel he needs to sell himself and acts accordingly. This irritates a lot of people, like - doesn't he want, that we love him? Lets make a wild guess - the answer is NO, with capital N, because he knows, the price is too high - at least for the persona, he is. My two..

BTW - I did some counting - just for fun.
There are 622 comments under the DM article and only counting the highest ratings, we have 32.200 thumbs up.
Last edited by Germangirl on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khenton

Post by khenton »

Yea, it seems like she missed the text and went for the chapter heading. So agree that it is the dumbest statement I have ever heard as well as the oldest cliche in the book. No wonder she's not on CNN. :wink: k
calypso

Post by calypso »

wow

http://thefilmstage.com/news/first-look ... m-lincoln/

I’ve been waiting for this day. Steven Spielberg has been shooting Lincoln in Virginia for quite some time yet and until today, we haven’t had a single glimpse of his star Daniel Day-Lewis as president Abraham Lincoln. He even added another person to the cast recently (Jared Harris as Ulysses S. Grant), but no peek at DDL. Today we were sent a photo from Richmond.com taken by @UVAMichael that shows our actor at a restaurant in the town.
DDL is backed up by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Tommy Lee Jones, David Strathairn and John Hawkes in the film that will be focusing on Lincoln’s pivotal role at the end of the Civil War. With a script by Tony Kushner, Lincoln also includes James Spader, Lee Pace, Jackie Earle Haley, Sally Field, Michael Stuhlbarg, Hal Holbrook, Walton Goggins, Bruce McGill, Tim Blake Nelson, David Oyelowo, Joseph Cross and David Costabile.

Expect a December 2012 for Lincoln, while Spielberg’s War Horse and The Adventures Tintin arrive late next month.
ImageImage