News tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

I was in HMV earlier. They have repackaged the box set blu ray of Daniels Bonds thus far with a new pic of the cover. 8) They've also put Skyfall in a more prominent place, presumably in anticipation of the release of Spectre. Not much point in me buying the box set when I have all the blu rays I'll ever need! :wink:
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

The Rugby World Cup kicks off tomorrow and lasts until the end of October. I hope Dan makes an appearance at some point.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

danielcraigss

Post by danielcraigss »

Ay! Groans. I'm all for him being happy and working but the stage......AGAIN?

We haven't had a film in 3 years and then Spectre comes out and its like he gets all moody and does something easy for him close to where he lives that is convient. I don't think he is pushing himself to the great ability his possesses. He isn't proving he can do anything else other than Bond anymore like how he did with CR. I mean we got that out and then only a few months later in 2007, The golden compass and, all these others in 2008 & 2009. I'm all for Bond but I do bloody dislike having to go back to other films that aren't bond which are 4+ years old, I'd probably take him doing the cloggin Irish dance for five minutes of entertainment at this point, or twerking. I'm literally open for anything.
CRAIGING FOR 12 LONG YEARS NOW

Daniel isn't social via Jamie Lee Curtis so I'm social for him.
Holler at the North-side Chester Wild boy. https://www.instagram.com/danielcraigsss/

YOUNG BLONDE BOND & THE DOUBLE O MOB TILL I DIE
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

http://nypost.com/2015/09/17/daniel-cra ... than-bond/

Daniel Craig wants to play someone more badass than Bond

Daniel Craig usually plays the hero — most famously, of course, James Bond.
But Craig’s thinking of swapping his Walther PPK for Desdemona’s handkerchief as the villainous Iago in a stage production of “Othello.â€￾
Craig, a stage actor by training, is in talks with off-Broadway’s New York Theatre Workshop to do Shakespeare’s tragedy next year, probably in the spring, sources say. No one’s saying anything about Broadway yet, but you don’t have to be M to deduce that if the production gets good reviews, it can move to Broadway in the summer for what will no doubt be a limited, sold-out run.
Iago is one of the great roles in the history of the theater. Furious that Othello has passed him over for a promotion, he plants wife Desdemona’s hankie in rival Cassio’s chambers. Othello becomes insanely jealous, and, well — even James Bond wouldn’t be able to save the day.
I usually think of Iago as being played by a small, evil-looking schemer. Bob Hoskins was brilliant in a 1981 TV movie. Sometimes Iago’s given a homosexual spin — his real motives being his sexual desire for Othello and his jealousy of Desdemona. That’s how some critics thought Kenneth Branagh played him in the 1995 movie opposite Laurence Fishburne.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Exactly what he said, he would do. As usual. :wink:

This is a real dedicated piece of writing from Mi 6 member.

See, comments like this bother me. Where has Dan ever said, on tape and for the record, that he doesn't appreciate the Bond role or that he isn't motivated by the character and the stories the films tell? If you actually watch Dan's interviews and listen to what he's saying (and not what some tabloid rag or online film website hungry for views says he said), you'd see how much of a blast he's had being Bond. He loves it, and that's clear to anyone who understands who he is and why he does what he does.

Dan is a guy who acts not for money or fame or awards-in fact, he loathes those last two-but because he loves it and gets supreme joy and satisfaction from it. He loves to act and work with amazing talents in the business like EON's people, Judi Dench, Eva Green, Sam Mendes, Javier Bardem, Naomie Harris, Ben Wishaw, Ralph Fiennes, Albert Finney and countless others down the line. He openly acknowledges and appreciates all the Bond franchise has done for him, often mentioning all the great people he has met and worked with through the films as well as all the roles he never would have landed without the pedigree and notice that the franchise has allowed.

Therefore, those saying Dan isn't motivated or appreciative of all the Bond franchise has done for him clearly hasn't done their research. If Dan didn't care, would he commit himself to a crazy pre-production schedule, getting fit for the role, helping with the creative team and looking for prospective directors and actors to join the movie 24/7? Would he be so willing to put himself out there and do all the stunts the crew will allow him to do if he didn't want to honor the role and let the people watching the movie know that it really is him out there risking his life to bring them a good movie? And most important of all: do you think Dan would still be doing these films if he didn't actually enjoy them?

At the end of the day, Dan always does films because he is interested in them and thinks they are a good use of his time and creative energies. He's not going to waste his time on something he doesn't see being successful and worth his while, which is why you see him dropping out of film projects from time to time, The Whole Truth and Monuments Men being just a couple examples. He really analyzes projects and determines if he could see himself having fun doing them, and if he can't or spots another issue like an unfinished script, he's out of there. Dan isn't your average movie star, glitzed out and glammed up. No matter what a film is going to make him money wise, he's not eager to jump on the opportunity if he sees red flags like those above, or more importantly, if he doesn't feel it's a good use of his time and energy.

And of course, it is important to remember that Dan is just a regular human being like the rest of us, with pressures and conflicting ideals. As we have seen, like anyone worked to the bone, he gets exhausted and often lets his frustrations be known, regardless of what his publicists urge him not to say. He's upfront and honest as can be, almost to a fault at times, and that's just one of the great things about him. He can see the beauty of the Bond role in what it has done for his career, but that doesn't mean he also can't be critical of the fame he has gotten in direct result from it. In a perfect world, I think Dan would want to practice his craft, go up on stage, perform his heart out and hear all the praises and get the energies of those in the room, and then when he walks off stage he'd just want to put that character and persona away and go have a pint at his favorite pub without being followed by a horde of people who just want autographs and pictures and all that materialistic filth.

So, @tony, while Dan appreciates the franchise and the opportunities he's been given, he doesn't have to be through the moon with some of the after effects of playing James Bond, which, believe it or not, isn't always great. In fact, it's probably more back-breaking, strenuous, stressful, exhaustive and soul-sucking than any of us would like to admit living in our little fantasy lands where we ourselves dream of being a part of the films someday.

Let's examine just some of the pressures, shall we? A decade ago, Dan's life instantly went from a modest acting career with a good body or work and stellar commendations from his colleagues in the field to the full blown face of one of the most iconic characters ever imagined on celluloid, where soon everyone knew his name and face. Such a drastic change would make anyone become shaken, especially when he had to contend with reporters and internet news sites calling him inferior and unworthy of the role at all hours of the day, well into production. I don't think people give Dan enough credit for how tough he is, because most people would crumble and give way under that kind of pressure. And yet he sucked it up and kept fighting, giving a rousing performance in CR and showing all the haters than he was worthy of the role and a risk worth taking, regardless of what they thought.

Of course, being Bond wasn't just a career change for Dan either: it affected his personal life intimately and in ways he couldn't have prepared for in his wildest dreams. Gone were the days where he could go out with family and friends and simply enjoy being off the job. He's followed day and night by photographers and reporters who never give him a break, always asking question after question about you-know-who when he's simply trying to get away from all of it and take a break from the role for once.

Now, pretend for a second that you are the seventh Bond actor, and have at least one movie under your belt, which was a massive hit, making everyone around the world know who you are. How would you feel if you went out to dinner with a significant other to have a good time hot off a Bond film and reporters and photographers crowded you as you tried and get in the door, blocking your way while asking you if you're doing another movie. Not only is it an affront to your personal privacy, but you are being badgered about a role you are simply trying to get a break from for just a while after spending half a year exhaustively bringing the latest installment to life.

Now, your name, once unknown, is a weapon, a means by which tabloids will report false information about you and smear your name all for the sake of selling a few copies, regardless of if you truly did or said what they wrote. You question even stepping outside your apartment for fear of being recognized and ravaged by these so-called "professionals" trying to get a scoop, knowing fully well they won't ever leave you alone. Next you try to come up with inventive ways of getting by them, disguising yourself the best you can, though at times the ruse fails and you find yourself swarmed again while trying to get groceries, the reporters asking the same questions over and over again until you go deaf.

In an understandable rage, you tell them to let you be with a raised voice, but they misconstrue this as you being an arse and the next day a headline in a tabloid rag reads "License to Freak?: Bond Actor Throws Tantrum Outside NY Grocer." This naturally causes internal doubts in your head, unsettling you. It seems nobody in the world gets the pressure you're under or that you want just a few months where you don't have to worry about being reminded of that spy character, the guy they only ever want to talk about, and none of your other projects which you are even more proud of. If only they'd see that you're more than just that guy in the tuxedo with a gun, a worthy talent with a variety of roles under his belt, the kinds of roles they never want to talk about because they're not as well known, and therefore, not as worthy.

Taking all of this into account, how happy do you all think the Bond role would make you? Because the odds are stacked highly that you'd feel the same pressures Dan feels every day of his life, where every comment you make is twisted to mean something entirely different, regardless of if you meant to be quite so cryptical in the first place. If I had to be put through the same things Dan has been time and time again, I'd go mad, without a doubt. We've got similar personalities, private and to ourselves, so I can only image the stress of living a life in the shadow of such an iconic role where you are expected to always put on a happy face of deep contentment when all you want to do is get away from all the cameras, the interview chair, the stupid questions and just go to bed and forget it all ever happened.

As we've seen, Dan has thanked Bond time and time again for what the franchise has been able to do for him. However, I can't help but think sometimes that instead of Dan thanking Bond, maybe Bond should be thanking him every once in a damn while. Fleming knows he's earned it.

Boy, am I exhausted or what...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

That was a good post from a MI6 member.
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entert ... 7533471352

00-heaven: Andrew ‘Joey’ Johns dating James Bond star Daniel Craig’s ex-fiancee
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

She surely always manages to het hunks. I really hope, it will work out.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

I can imagine Iago being right up Daniel's street.
Even though he's quoted as saying that he's not interested in doing Shakespeare - "too many lines" or words to that effect.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I dont know the part, but we do know, he is capable of learning as many lines as he wants :lol:

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:I dont know the part, but we do know, he is capable of learning as many lines as he wants :lol:
Here's a good character analysis of Iago

http://www.shmoop.com/othello/iago.html
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

Re the comments from the MI6 member........ they were very intelligent and insightful... BUT I HOPE Dan's life is NOT (really) THAT horrendous!!!! :shock: :( It's quite shocking in a way and I guess I had never thought of it like that. I feel that Daniel is a very level headed, sensible and let's face it - COURAGEOUS - man, in the way he deals with the intrusions and the negative side of being Bond. He seems to cope with it very well but if he isn't?? :shock: It emphasises the importance of a STABLE family life and if R can direct him to a place of peace and harmony, then that is truly great.... even I can admit that.... For more than anything else, I just want Daniel to be happy...

And a Shakespeare play? I can also understand what DCSS is trying to say but if Daniel wants to do a play then that's exactly what he should do. Nobody wants to force Daniel into a different non Bond movie role with a gun to his head. For me, it just means a greater effort must be made to try and get to NYC to SEE him in a play for the first time, if this is truly what is going to happen...
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I think, he should direct the thing.