Mag-Scan

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

JoniJoni

Post by JoniJoni »

Thanks agrippina. It's fantastic that you can translate.
catherinep

Post by catherinep »

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Thank you Catherinep :D

I never doubt a second that the red carpet terrifies him :lol:
catherinep

Post by catherinep »

Thelma wrote:Thank you Catherinep :D

I never doubt a second that the red carpet terrifies him :lol:
You're welcome! :)
tulipa

Post by tulipa »

Thank you for the scans, catherine!
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks :D good read. I think with Sats at his side, he is not feeling too uncomfortable these days any more - not great either, though :lol:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

agrippina wrote:Client magazine for one of the ferry companies trafficking from Finland, Viking Line, Scandinavian World, November 2008

Interview from the summer, the Soho Hotel junket, his arm in a sling already, but this is pre-operation, her (the writer) image of the perfect Bond emanating physical strength, muscles and virile mythology is shattered... This leads to some discussion on narcicism and its dangers. During his pre-Bond days, going to the gym was an exercise against laziness - he was often unemployed for long periods of time and was quite able to just sleep until midday and while away the days. ("I am capable of having a beer at 11 am, or even at 10 am...")

Last year he stayed at Sorrento (a classic resort near Naples) for a holiday and was impressed by the people on the beach: all kinds of bodies, all different and all beautiful, just people forgetting about work and having fun on the beach. Then a bit about travel (the wonderful vacantions he's had with the money coming from Bond) . The shooting in Italy meant also sitting at dinner table a lot, eating and drinking well. Working in Italy meant to him particularly trying hard not to gain too much weight :lol:

Oh yeah, the main title is "Love is my rock", and then she asks him about Sats being with him during shooting QoS: "She is always with me. I couldn't do with less. She takes care of me, she is my rock." (I wish Zonzi was around to check this translation - I'm a little uncertain of the second sentence...)
Thank you Grip and Catherinep for these magazine articles from the various countries. There are a couple of new statements by DC or new pieces of information that I haven't seen or heard in English-language articles or interviews.

Since these are probably reputable publications, then hopefully we can assume that DC is quoted correctly. These aren't tabloid gossip and rumor publications.

What's most interesting to me is what he says about his relationship with Satsuki Mitchell. What he says above is similar to what he told Mary Hart in the Entertainment Tonight interview that was aired on TV, but wasn't in the website version.

I'm speculating, but it sounds like SM might be functioning like any partner of a prominent person, a partner who doesn't have a professional career of his/her own. She keeps his life at home organized, smoothly and efficiently running. She maintains the kind of home atmosphere and personal and family activities that he likes. She's his butler who manages the household; his private secretary who keeps his personal schedule, social engagements, business appointments; his cook, maybe; his confidante.

That's why he says "she takes care of me." He says "she's with me all the time" because he needs her, especially when he's filming, concentrating on his work. He says "she's my rock" because she's reliable, capable, and even-tempered.

What do you all think?

And yes, I hope someone can verify the translation. Meanings can change depending on how something is translated.
Last edited by cornell01 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Agree on al you have said, cornell. She certainly gives the impression of being all of that. He sure is a lucky man to have found a person, that is a true partner.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

agrippina

Post by agrippina »

Good points, Cornell!

I would like to remind though that the Vanity Fair is an Italian mag and Italian journalism is very different from many others - the journalist is supposed to give opinions, arouse emotions etc., not so much inform and give facts. So, it may or may not be a verbatim quote. And also they've interviewed in English and translated that into Italian and in that process something might have been missed.

Now I got very curious whether I got the meaning right, gotta ask a friend who has majored in Italian...

Grip
cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

agrippina wrote:Good points, Cornell!

I would like to remind though that the Vanity Fair is an Italian mag and Italian journalism is very different from many others - the journalist is supposed to give opinions, arouse emotions etc., not so much inform and give facts. So, it may or may not be a verbatim quote. And also they've interviewed in English and translated that into Italian and in that process something might have been missed.

Now I got very curious whether I got the meaning right, gotta ask a friend who has majored in Italian...

Grip
Yes, I'd like to find out what the Italian journalist's meaning is also. Please let us know if you get another translation.

I think, though, that maybe your original translation is pretty correct. Because the quotes attributed to him, are pretty much the same as in the ET Mary Hart interview. I saved it on my TV hard drive (I have satellite, not cable TV), but I don't know how to get it off there onto my computer;.
Here's the exact text:

DC: (answering a question about warming up with vodka on the set) Jamie and Liev and I, we had to sort of become brothers as quickly as possible. And the best way to do that is to go out and get drunk.

MH: (voice-over while photo of DC and SM at Pineapple Express premiere shows on screen) Keeping him in check, his fiance Satsuki Mitchell.

DC: She's with me all the time.

MH: (pause) She is.

DC: Yes, though we kind of work together, so ...

MH: Okay. So she was there, and that makes a big difference.

DC: Well, it - I mean, it does, I mean, when you have your family close by, it's always nice. I mean it's essential in a job like this.

MH: It really does make a difference, doesn't it. I mean it's why relationships in this business go so wrong, because you end up being separated unless you make that pact,

DC: (smiling) Well I wouldn't like to comment on things like that, but maybe. (chuckling, while MH also laughs).

It was kind of interesting that MH paused, right after he said "she's with me all the time." It's like MH got caught off guard, that he actually said something about his personal relationship with SM. Mary Hart and ET must have been instructed to keep the questions about the movie (Defiance) and the work. DC's PR people probably tell all interviewers that.

So when MH got that answer from DC, she was thinking fast in her head - how can I get some more interesting answers from him, without his putting up the wall or getting upset. And DC did adroitly deflect her attempt to continue - "well I wouldn't like to comment on things like that."

And then ET omitted that part of the aired interview from their website video. Maybe DC's people got that part cut. Because that part was the most interesting part of the interview. The rest of the interview was the same things we've seen in his other interviews during this Defiance publicity tour.
Guinness

interesting

Post by Guinness »

Censorship by DC? hmmm, he did say it and he did or his people were instructed to do it by him. and it wasnt bad or intrusive...but give the media an inch. its still somehow controlling news. that bugs me somehow. someone help me here. why did you note that in your post Cornel? ~g
cornell01

Re: interesting

Post by cornell01 »

Guinness wrote:Censorship by DC? hmmm, he did say it and he did or his people were instructed to do it by him. and it wasnt bad or intrusive...but give the media an inch. its still somehow controlling news. that bugs me somehow. someone help me here. why did you note that in your post Cornel? ~g
I don't know why that part of the interview where DC says a few things about his relationship with Satsuki Mitchell was omitted; I'm speculating that it was at the request of DC. He has said many times that he doesn't talk about his family, so I was surprised when I saw it on TV. And even more surprised when that part wasn't on the ET website version.

Maybe ET cut it for time, or maybe they didn't think it was interesting enough. I thought it was the most interesting part, because the other information - like the story, the Bielski family visiting the set, how cold it was filming - all that has come out in other interviews with Liev Schreiber and Ed Zwick as well.

But then, the Italian magazine interview that Grip put up, quoted DC as saying about the same thing - that SM is his "rock." So maybe he doesn't mind his comments being public. Or maybe you can't change or control printed interviews unless you sue, like some stars sue the tabloids; but you can change video interviews?

So then, it becomes a discussion of 1st Amendment rights and invasion of privacy? Wow, Guinness, I didn't mean my comment to develop into anything important.
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Re: interesting

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

cornell01 wrote:
Guinness wrote:Censorship by DC? hmmm, he did say it and he did or his people were instructed to do it by him. and it wasnt bad or intrusive...but give the media an inch. its still somehow controlling news. that bugs me somehow. someone help me here. why did you note that in your post Cornel? ~g
I don't know why that part of the interview where DC says a few things about his relationship with Satsuki Mitchell was omitted; I'm speculating that it was at the request of DC. He has said many times that he doesn't talk about his family, so I was surprised when I saw it on TV. And even more surprised when that part wasn't on the ET website version.

Maybe ET cut it for time, or maybe they didn't think it was interesting enough. I thought it was the most interesting part, because the other information - like the story, the Bielski family visiting the set, how cold it was filming - all that has come out in other interviews with Liev Schreiber and Ed Zwick as well.

But then, the Italian magazine interview that Grip put up, quoted DC as saying about the same thing - that SM is his "rock." So maybe he doesn't mind his comments being public. Or maybe you can't change or control printed interviews unless you sue, like some stars sue the tabloids; but you can change video interviews?

So then, it becomes a discussion of 1st Amendment rights and invasion of privacy? Wow, Guinness, I didn't mean my comment to develop into anything important.
I would think is was edited for time by ET and not for content by his people.
Crazy!
Guinness

yea

Post by Guinness »

that is still interesting to me. but us dc junkies know how to get AALLL the info the popular media is censoring or editors are cutting out from our beloved! (sorry-i cant find an emoticon for serious sarcasm!! :D and playful banter! ) ~guinness.
cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

I'm sorry, but I've been looking for the scan of last year's Playboy article about DC. I think Elaine_Figgis posted it somewhere, but I can't find it.

Can anyone help? Thanks!