Daniel in Arena

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

togal

Post by togal »

I haven't seen the issue in Canada yet.

I ordered 5x7 prints of all 4 piccies. I couldn't make up my mind between the 5x7 size or the 8x10 size especially when if comes to Daniel, the bigger the better huh? :wink: Whenever I buy magazines I have to no idea what to do with then since it's difficult to tear out the pages without ripping them.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

togal wrote:I haven't seen the issue in Canada yet.

I ordered 5x7 prints of all 4 piccies. I couldn't make up my mind between the 5x7 size or the 8x10 size especially when if comes to Daniel, the bigger the better huh? :wink: Whenever I buy magazines I have to no idea what to do with then since it's difficult to tear out the pages without ripping them.
Hi, togal. :D Where did you order them from? Would like to have some of those in addition to the magazine!

Gee, like your avatar. :lol: :wink:
Lu

Post by Lu »

Germangirl wrote:
Lu wrote:I still haven't seen Road to Perdition...but I LOVED Infamous. Just a warning, it takes a while for Daniel to show up...but the whole movie is excellent. Daniel is amazing in this role. If you can be sure to listen to the director/writers commentary on the DVD, he has some really nice things to say about Daniel Craig the actor right around the scene where Perrey gets angry/finds out that the title of Truman's book is In Cold Blood.
Its not on mine, Lu. Would you mind telling, what he said - if it isn´t too long. Just the contents would be enough Image
No problem...Anything for my Dtd friends. :D :D :D I copied this to the Infamous thread in "Movie Roles" also.

Douglas McGrath (director/writer):

I want to talk a little about Daniel Craig, who plays Perry, because his performance is so central to the audience's response to the film. Daniel's an English actor, just like Toby. It's funny to be playing such deeply, almost iconically, American characters, and yet both of them are from England.

(now McGrath goes on about how he originally wanted to cast Mark Wahlberg as Perry, but he had to drop out...then he cast Mark Ruffalo...who could not due the role as a film he was already on ran over schedule)

So two weeks before filming started, Mark Ruffalo dropped out, and I remember...that day I despaired...I thought...oh no...we'll never get anybody good, this is terrible...and then Daniel's name came up. And I hadn't thought about him at all, just because he was English, but he was someone that I really admired, and he had been in a number of movies in which I thought he was terrific.

But Perry Smith requires an actor who can do two very different and distinct things. One...you have to believe him as someone who could kill Truman in this scene right now (the "faux-rape" scene)...you have to believe that he could tear Truman's head off his body and kill him without a moment's remorse. And this scene...when we shot it...I couldn't even believe I wrote it! It was so alarming and upsetting to watch, and I found my palms sweating on the set, I was so anxious, and that's because both the men are so good at it. But Daniel is utterly persuasive...utterly persuasive. You don't doubt for a second that he'll murder him. And yet, at the same time, you have to believe he's THAT vulnerable, and that full of tenderness, that he could inspire such a sympathetic portrayal in In Cold Blood. And in the scenes preceding this and the scenes that come after, he reveals really an almost excruciating vulnerability. That's hard, to find an actor who can do that.

And I've got to say, in a funny way, I thought...oh, this will be great. Because unlike the two Marks, in America, Daniel wasn't that well known when we cast him. About 6 weeks after he finished the picture for us (laughs), he signed on to play James Bond. Okay, so the whole anonymity thing went out the window. But, this is actually, of course, not how Daniel really looks. Daniel has light hair, and has very very bright blue eyes. Movie star blue eyes. Hypnotically blue eyes. One of the first things we discussed was that we would have to darken his hair, which he was happy about, and darken his eyes. And he was concerned about that, because he was uncomfortable wearing contacts, but luckily we found a pair that worked. And it's funny how maybe the contacts, more than the hair, completely changes his appearance. So I had many people tell me that it's several scenes into the movie, before they realize it's Daniel. He also had to work, as did Toby, with an accent coach. Given the short amount of time he had to prepare...boy were we lucky to get someone this quick.
My books!

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks a bunch, Lu :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

togal

Post by togal »

Pandora wrote:

Hi, togal. :D Where did you order them from? Would like to have some of those in addition to the magazine!

What I do is just save them on my account at a photofinishing site ( I use my drugstore chain) and then order the prints. Because these photos are Hi-res you can print them quite large. The quality would be the type you get from any photofinisher. Or you can just save them on a CD and bring them to a store that does digital prints.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Togal and Pandora - the twins :lol:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Pandora

Post by Pandora »

togal wrote:
Pandora wrote:

What I do is just save them on my account at a photofinishing site ( I use my drugstore chain) and then order the prints. Because these photos are Hi-res you can print them quite large. The quality would be the type you get from any photofinisher. Or you can just save them on a CD and bring them to a store that does digital prints.
Oh, ic. I know some photographers offer prints for sale of celeb photos they take...thought maybe you meant that. Still, your way is a great idea! Thanks for the info.

Germangirl, I think we are triplets, but only two of us are identical. :lol: I remember seeing another member using the same avatar when I looked through the memberlist months ago. I wanted to use the pic back then, but didn't because they had already beat me to the draw. BUT, since I never see that person post on the board I figured it wouldn't cause any confusion if I went ahead and used it also. I don't remember who it is...they might have changed theirs by now.
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Has anyone in the states got this magazine yet ? I called Borders and B&N ( today and last week) and niether had it and Ed Norton is on March's Total Film .
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Laredo, I'm going tomorrow to look for it at B&N (where I usually get my import mags and hard to find stuff). I will let you know if they have it. Hope they do! :wink:

Btw, I've had them tell me over the phone something was not at the store - only to find it the same day when I went and looked for myself. B&N (the one here, anyway) is particularly bad about things like that...they're always slammed with people when I go, really busy, and have about a million mags, so I think they probably just don't have the time to really look for me. I don't even call anymore. :roll:
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

When I went to B&N to find 'Interview' and asked the guy behind the counter for help, he said straight out... we don't carry it.

I walked over to the rack and started digging. It was on a top shelf behind some other mags. He was not pleased when he saw me with it in my hand and ready to check out.

I said very quietly that I didn't think his boss would be pleased! :D
Crazy!
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

They were gone for a few minutes so it seemed ligit .
They didn't know when the brit mags came in and one mentioned another cover so he looked . I bought the others at borders the last time .

I must admit I did that when i worked retail and someone wanted some obscure 75% item off a sale rounder.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

That's exactly what I'm talking about, E.

Laredo, I was on hold about five minutes...don't know what they were doing during that time since they gave me incorrect info, but glad I went with my intuition and drove there to have a look anyway. Weird you can only find things you want at Borders and not B&N, it is the complete opposite for me. The Borders here doesn't ever have squat.
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Laredo, I went to B&N today and they had two copies of the Arena issue we've been waiting for. They were in the 'Men's Interest' section...I really had to look a bit to find one. Was $10.70 with tax.

HOT!!! :twisted:
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Did you look for the Total Film with the Bond cover ? Thanks for the 411 .
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

laredo wrote:Did you look for the Total Film with the Bond cover ? Thanks for the 411 .
You're welcome. :wink:

I didn't know there was a Bond cover on Total Film. I think I saw the magazine you're talking about, but Ed Norton was on the cover. I'm not completely certain it was Total Film...I'm about 75% certain. Please let me know if and where you find one with Bond on the cover.