Oscars' 08

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Image Image
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Amy Ryan was robbed , she was so much better than Tilda . She was so smmy in Gone Baby Gone .

Its almost a cliche for a women t win for playing a singer though I think the french girl deserved it .

I was disappointed that the cut off date for the memorials was Jan 31 so hey didn't include Roy Schieder from Jaws and All That Jazz who died on Feb 10th . I don't think they had Robert Goulet either and he died in Oct . He was famous for mostly theatircal stuff ( Lancalot ) but he did film and tv .
livetwice

Post by livetwice »

laredo wrote:Amy Ryan was robbed , she was so much better than Tilda . She was so smmy in Gone Baby Gone .

Its almost a cliche for a women t win for playing a singer though I think the french girl deserved it .

I was disappointed that the cut off date for the memorials was Jan 31 so hey didn't include Roy Schieder from Jaws and All That Jazz who died on Feb 10th . I don't think they had Robert Goulet either and he died in Oct . He was famous for mostly theatircal stuff ( Lancalot ) but he did film and tv .
I was surprised too that Marion Cotillard get an oscar.. because she had already few days ago a Cesar in France and was celebrated in England too...
You only live twice or so it seems..
One life for yourself and one for your dreams...And one day I realize that I was addicted to Daniel Craig's blue eyes.
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

Liverpool Rules wrote:Just saw Viggo on the red carpet with his niece? Syndey?
Maybe its off topic but they were sooooo sweet. :) BTW I just loved photos of him & Cate Blanchett at Governor's ball. Image

I was also very happy 4 TGC! But now everyone is bashing it :( because its not Transformers. Yes, sometimes its hard 2 be a winner... Im in hopes 4 a sequel!
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Elvenstar wrote:Yes, sometimes its hard 2 be a winner... Im in hopes 4 a sequel!
That makes two of us then. I don't know if it's ever going to happen, but one can always hope. :D
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Anglophile wrote:
Elvenstar wrote:Yes, sometimes its hard 2 be a winner... Im in hopes 4 a sequel!
That makes two of us then. I don't know if it's ever going to happen, but one can always hope. :D
Two? Many more than that I think :D Count me in at least.
New Line might not exist much longer, but maybe someone else is picking it up - seeing the possibilities that franchise might still have. Go Japan Go! :lol:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Germangirl wrote:
Anglophile wrote:
Two? Many more than that I think :D Count me in at least.
New Line might not exist much longer, but maybe someone else is picking it up - seeing the possibilities that franchise might still have. Go Japan Go! :lol:
From HisDarkMaterials.org:

New Line Folding into Warner Bros.
February 28, 2008 23:27 by Erica Fetterman

Reuters reports: Time Warner Inc (TWX.N: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Thursday it will consolidate its New Line Cinema film studio under Warner Bros. Entertainment.

New Line's Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs Robert Shaye and Michael Lynne have elected to leave the studio, which will become a unit of Warner Bros., but are in discussions about possible future business relationships with the company, Time Warner said.

The LA Times adds more information, noting that New Line will maintain its own development and production:

It is unclear how many people will lose their jobs as a result of the consolidation. New Line Cinema employs more than 600 people in Los Angeles and New York.

While New Line will maintain separate development, production, marketing, distribution and business affairs operations, it will rely on Warner's global infrastructure to save significant costs and improve profit margins in the volatile movie business.

The decision is the boldest effort yet by Time Warner's recently named Chief Executive Jeff Bewkes to slash costs at the media giant, whose stock price has largely stagnated since its merger with America Online eight years ago. Bewkes is under pressure from shareholders to take steps to improve the stock price and profitability of the company, which owns cable channels such as CNN, TBS and HBO -- cable systems that are the largest in Southern California and publishing operations that include Time, Sports Illustrated and In Style magazines.

"This is a no-brainer move," said Richard Greenfield, an analyst with Pali Research. "There's no reason to have two separate infrastructures. The question is why did it take so long for this decision?"

Earlier this month, in his first conference call with media analysts since succeeding Richard Parsons as chief executive in December, Bewkes announced plans to immediately eliminate 100 jobs at corporate headquarters, to split AOL into two parts, and to potentially reduce its 84% ownership of Time Warner Cable. At the time, he said New Line would be targeted for "near-term costs cuts."

In a statement Thursday, Bewkes said: "We are moving quickly to improve our business performance and financial returns. New Line has built a strong franchise of cutting-edge entertainment. We can enhance its value by combining it with Warner Bros. Given the trend toward fewer movie releases, New Line and Warner Bros. will now have more complementary release slates, with New Line focusing on genres that have been its strength. With the growing importance of international revenues, it makes sense for New Line to retain its international film rights and to exploit them through Warner Bros.' global distribution infrastructure. We can also take better advantage of digital distribution platforms by combining our studios. These changes will enhance our revenue opportunities and drive dramatic cost efficiencies and higher margins at New Line."

New Line Cinema becomes Hollywood's latest distributor to downsize its ambitions and business strategy in a tough market, where bloated overhead and soaring production and marketing costs have compromised profitability, once-reliable DVD sales have cooled and movie attendance is flat.

Over the past three years, DreamWorks, the once high-flying live-action studio founded by Steven Spielberg, David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg, was sold to media giant Viacom Inc. and scaled back as part of the media company's Paramount Pictures. At the same time, Harvey and Bob Weinstein's Miramax Films became a much smaller unit of owner Walt Disney Co. after the brothers were forced out. The Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio was gobbled up by a consortium of investors including Sony Pictures, Comcast Corp. and two major private equity firms.

"People start out with high hopes for these indie studios," said media analyst Harold Vogel, "But ultimately they encounter rising costs and difficulties in managing the businesses. At some point, the cash flow and balance sheets fall short of their ambitions."

Please note that this report is premature. We don't yet know what this will mean in terms of the His Dark Materials franchise. We hope to have more information soon. A meeting with corporate heads is scheduled for tomorrow (29 February).

http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/news/th ... arner-bros
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Theatrical Happenings for The Golden Compass

February 22, 2008 18:01 by Erica Fetterman

Our friends in the Sraf network at Hisdarkmaterialsnews.com, the Chinese fan community, have alerted us to a theatrical release date set for The Golden Compass to hit theatres across mainland China. Each year, China imports only 20 "revenue-sharing" films, and it's great to see The Golden Compass as one of them.

The Golden Compass China release date is set for 28 March.

As well, Japan's Tokyo recently hosted a press conference and premiere event for The Golden Compass, in theatres across Japan on 1 March. The event was attended by The Golden Compass director Chris Weitz, as well as actresses Dakota Blue Richards, and Nicole Kidman.

And finally, don't miss out on this super-cute Japanese television special starring Dakota Blue Richards and Iorek Byrnison. Much of the dialog is Japanese, but it's still a fun watch no matter your native language.

http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/news/th ... en-compass
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Compass has grossed $2.5 million only in SNEAK PREVIEWS. Opens March 1.
http://www.varietyasiaonline.com/content/view/5575/1/

Estimated to gain around Mill 51 :D - together with China :?: maybe :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Germangirl wrote:Compass has grossed $2.5 million only in SNEAK PREVIEWS. Opens March 1.

GO Golden Compass!! :D Image Image Image
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Anglophile wrote:
Germangirl wrote:Compass has grossed $2.5 million only in SNEAK PREVIEWS. Opens March 1.

GO Golden Compass!! :D Image Image Image
Just re-reading my own post. The estimate is for Japan alone - China will be additional money. :D That maybe was meant for the possible sequel.