Non member Defiance Reviews

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Maybe the thread title should be changed to newspaer/magizine reviews of Defience . I find it confusing and I post here daily .
Mariah

Post by Mariah »

Elaine_Figgis wrote:
Mariah wrote:I finally saw Defiance everyone!
I'm sure you don't need me to tell you it was amazing. But I will anyways. The movie was a little over 2 hours but I still found myself wanting it to last longer. It had such a powerful story. Daniel did an awesome job with his accent and the Russian sounded close to fluent. However, nothing I say will do this movie justice, it was just that good.

5 stars.
I wish/hope Daniel gets nominated for an award because the performance he did was so moving and inspiring. He deserves every bit of recognition.
Mariah, how about moving your review to the Movies section, to keep all fan reviews together.
Okay, sorry. I didn't know.
Should probably make clarification in the title or first post of the thread.
"I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me. Whatever is left of me - whatever is left of me - whatever I am - I'm yours."
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Defiance
January 26th, 2009 (03:49 pm)
While I'm sure the movie only touches on part of the story (as they all do) and was no doubt Hollywood-ified (as they all are), the story of the Bielski brothers and their forest community was just...amazing. I cried within the first few minutes of the story, and go ahead and push that off as me being a softy and easy to cry, but the first part is definitely heartbreaking just in the fact that you know that happened to someone. The story was incredible for the fact that it was based after a true story, and the real forest community lead by the Bielski's fought, hid, and worked to save about 1200 Jews during the war. I'm definitely going to have to read Defiance, as well as a few other books that I see the library has.

On another note, fantastic acting. By far Daniel Craig's best movie, and Liev Schreiber was fantastic as well.
http://metalgnome.livejournal.com/55262.html
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

On Rottentomatoes it has 52% on the T-Meter critics but 85% in the RT community. So obviously the average movie goer likes the film.
But I don´t think the BO is that great from what I read. Does anybody here can provide us with some actual numbers?
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

The box-office is doing well $19,441,106. It will probably end like Blood Diamond for the numbers.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thelma wrote:The box-office is doing well $19,441,106. It will probably end like Blood Diamond for the numbers.
Thanks Thelma :D. Could you please tell how much that was for Blood Diamond??
One has to account also, that the film is rated R and plays in like 1700 places, wich is about half of what QOS had.

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Germangirl wrote:
Thelma wrote:The box-office is doing well $19,441,106. It will probably end like Blood Diamond for the numbers.
One has to account also, that the film is rated R and plays in like 1700 places, wich is about half of what QOS had.
Blood Diamond did $57,377,916 for a $100 million budget.
When we see the Defiance budget and the number of places where it plays, I think it's doing well :)
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thelma wrote:
Germangirl wrote:
When we see the Defiance budget and the number of places where it plays, I think it's doing well :)
Well, many of the reviewers talk about full houses, so yeah...
Was the budget really 50 Mill or less, as Daniel always speaks of little money - does he nowadays consider 50 Mill little money? :lol:

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Germangirl wrote:
Thelma wrote:
Germangirl wrote: Thanks Thelma :D. Could you please tell how much that was for Blood Diamond??
Well, many of the reviewers talk about full houses, so yeah...
Was the budget really 50 Mill or less, as Daniel always speaks of little money - does he nowadays consider 50 Mill little money? :lol:
Well, for an Ed Zwick movie it's a little budget :lol:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Is that total US or worldwide?

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Germangirl wrote:Is that total US or worldwide?
US only. The worldwilde is at $30,847,485
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Half the budget must be for comercials because they are still showing them during THE DAILY SHOW . They only showed it in one theater at my multiplex . I was surprised of that since he did more promos then he does for Bond . I don't think it is doing well unless you consider it is in less theaters .
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

laredo wrote:Half the budget must be for comercials because they are still showing them during THE DAILY SHOW . They only showed it in one theater at my multiplex . I was surprised of that since he did more promos then he does for Bond . I don't think it is doing well unless you consider it is in less theaters .
The ad has been running for about 3 weeks on the 7.30 AM Today show slot too! It's not multiplex material and without a significant awards nod, these films struggle to become sleeper hits.
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

bumblebee wrote:
laredo wrote:Half the budget must be for comercials because they are still showing them during THE DAILY SHOW . They only showed it in one theater at my multiplex . I was surprised of that since he did more promos then he does for Bond . I don't think it is doing well unless you consider it is in less theaters .
The ad has been running for about 3 weeks on the 7.30 AM Today show slot too! It's not multiplex material and without a significant awards nod, these films struggle to become sleeper hits.
It's still playing in my local, art-house theatre. A 2 week run for a that theatre is quite unusual.
Crazy!
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

My mutiplex has 16 theaters . Its still playing and we just got The Reader which was exclusive at the other multi that has 20 theaters .