Daniel Craig Joins Steven Spielberg's Tintin

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Thelma wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
Spielberg and Jackson is guarantee to become a hit.
And a great movie. I totally trust them, especially Spielberg who is my favorite director.
Spielberg is a genious and is together with P. Jackson and Q.Tarantino my favorite director. This movie, can't be other than great.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
JoniJoni

Post by JoniJoni »

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/other/d ... enture.php

British stars sign up for Tintin adventure

Daniel Craig and Jamie Bell are to lead a largely British cast in an animated film version of one of the Tintin adventures.

Bell, who shot to fame as a teenage dancer in Billy Elliot, will take the lead in The Adventures Of Tintin: Secret Of The Unicorn, directed by Steven Spielberg.

The 22-year-old will provide the voice and motion for the intrepid Belgian reporter with the famous quiff in the movie, which will use 3D motion-capture technology to create a realistic look.
advertisement

Bond star Craig, who featured alongside Bell in the recent Second World War drama Defiance, will play Red Rackham, one of the villains of the adventure.

Simon Pegg and Mackenzie Crook have also been signed up to star in the film, which is due for release in 2011.

Andy Serkis, the British actor who played Gollum in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, will reportedly play Tintin's bearded chum Captain Haddock.

Fans of the original books, created by Belgian George Remi under the pen name Herge, will remember the whisky-sodden sailor for his short temper and eccentric maritime expostulations, including: "Blistering barnacles" and "Thundering typhoons". Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson has also been signed up to work on the film. Jackson is to direct a second Tintin film, with the option to make a third.

The Secret of the Unicorn, published in the 1940s, is one of the most popular of the 24 Tintin adventures, and focuses on clashes between Captain Haddock's ancestor Sir Francis Haddock and dastardly pirate Red Rackham.

The story concludes in with a possible sequel, Red Rackham's Treasure, though it is unclear whether this will be included in Spielberg's film or held back for Jackson's. The screenplay has been written by Steven Moffat and Shaun of the Dead scriptwriter Edgar Wright.
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Great read
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Daniel Craig signs on to star in Spielberg-produced `Tintin` movie

Actor News - 26-01-09

Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures Entertainment issued a press release today announcing the start of principal production in Los Angeles on the 3D Motion Capture Film The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn which will be directed by Steven Spielberg and will star Jamie Bell as Tintin, the intrepid young reporter whose relentless pursuit of a good story thrusts him into a world of high adventure, and Daniel Craig as the nefarious Red Rackham - reports Rope of Silicon.

Bell and Craig are joined by an international cast that includes Andy Serkis, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Gad Elmaleh, Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook.

Perhaps the more interesting part of the story for the fanboys that seem to be gushing over this picture is that the film was written by Steven Moffat (”Doctor Who”), Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead) and Joe Cornish penned the screenplay.

This film will be the first in a series of 3D motion capture films based on the iconic character created by Georges Remi, better known to the world by his pen name “Herge” and is due for release in 2011. The second feature in the series is scheduled to be directed by Jackson, with a potential for a third film as well. Any assumptions that Edgar Wright may be in line for that one?

Eighty years ago, Herge introduced the world to a unique cast of characters who have been embraced by readers of all ages. The Adventures of Tintin - a series of 24 books, the final unfinished adventure was published after Herge’s - death became Herge’s life’s work. The first adventure was published in 1929. Over 200 million copies have been sold worldwide. The popular series has been translated into 70 languages and still attracts thousands of new fans each year.

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson will bring Herge’s stories to life employing state-of-the-art performance capture technology developed by Jackson’s Weta Digital.

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?ite ... mi6&s=news
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

I wonder it he will have any scenes with Toby Jones ? It will be there 3rd mvie together
agrippina

Post by agrippina »

When I first read about this I so hoped that he would have been cast as Captain Haddock... Think about all that extremely elaborate swearing, he would have loved it! But I guess, Red Rackham is ok as well. Andy Serkis as CH will be fine at least. Simon Pegg as one of the silly detectives is spot on - although he should do a double role!

My purist Tintin fan friends are concerned: will Hollywood destroy the spirit of Tintin?! :shock:

Grip
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

agrippina wrote:
My purist Tintin fan friends are concerned: will Hollywood destroy the spirit of Tintin?! :shock:

Grip
With Spielberg, I don't think so :) He's a big Tintin fan.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I really wonder how well known an beloved this character is. I am aware of Tim and Struppi here in Germany but haven´t heard/seen anything of them for ages.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Germangirl wrote:I really wonder how well known an beloved this character is. I am aware of Tim and Struppi here in Germany but haven´t heard/seen anything of them for ages.
there hasn't been anything new since Hergé died in 1983 - it was his last will that the series will not be continued by someone else after his death
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Germangirl wrote:I really wonder how well known an beloved this character is. I am aware of Tim and Struppi here in Germany but haven´t heard/seen anything of them for ages.
In France (at least), Tintin is timeless, just like Asterix or Lucky Luke :)
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Thelma wrote:
In France (at least), Tintin is timeless, just like Asterix or Lucky Luke :)
in Belgium as well, from what a Belgian friend of mine told me - it isn't really a surprise, though, is it? :wink:

here in Germany, I think, he's less common than Astérix, but still quite known (just my impression, not a empirical-based hypothesis :wink: )
Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

I'm actually super stoked that Andy Serkis is playing Cap. Haddock, I think he could pull off that character better than DC could. But that's just my opinion :wink:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

He sure looks the part

The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

He's the perfect Haddock
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Thelma wrote:He's the perfect Haddock
Oh no he just looks like a hairy Gollum to me! This is going to be the physical form of DC's character?