Tintin news

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

sasha

Post by sasha »

tampa wrote:Speilberg and co. were smart to open it outside of the US first where the books are hugely popular. The kids in the US don't know ditz about the series. The fact that it looks like a big hit everywhere else will create lots of buzz for when it opens in the US. Finally a hit for DC. If Tattoo does well, he will end the year looking so good, and then on to Bond. We know DC is great in Bond, so Mendes better not screw it up.
And US critics and audience will be, most likely, much easier to please since they will evaluate the movie as separate entity and won't compare it to original comic books and won't look for deviations from the characters and story line.

The Tintin success should be partly credited to DC since it's a motion capture, so basically it's him acting and not only voice as in usual animation.
sasha

Post by sasha »

Nice article about Spielberg.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/30/movie ... ref=movies

I like his sense of loyalty:

Inside his creative cocoon he relies on a small corps of fellows including the editor Michael Kahn, the cinematographer Janusz Kaminski and the composer John Williams. All three have contributed to “The Adventures of Tintin,” “War Horse” and now “Lincoln.” Mr. Kaminski is the baby, at 52. Mr. Kahn, who is 75, has been Mr. Spielberg’s editor since “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” released in 1977. Mr. Williams, 79, dates at least to “The Sugarland Express” (1974), Mr. Spielberg’s first feature film.
tampa

Post by tampa »

sasha wrote:Nice article about Spielberg.

Inside his creative cocoon he relies on a small corps of fellows including the editor Michael Kahn, the cinematographer Janusz Kaminski and the composer John Williams. All three have contributed to “The Adventures of Tintin,” “War Horse” and now “Lincoln.” Mr. Kaminski is the baby, at 52. Mr. Kahn, who is 75, has been Mr. Spielberg’s editor since “Close Encounters of the Third Kind,” released in 1977. Mr. Williams, 79, dates at least to “The Sugarland Express” (1974), Mr. Spielberg’s first feature film.
He really is a great guy, and talent. He often doesn't get his due, particularly from the critics who love to attack very successfull guys. People knock him just because some of his sequels have run out of steam. Yes, they have, but so what - who bats 100% when they've done a ton of great films like he has. ET, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Close Encounters, Shindlers List, Saving Private Ryan, his new one War Horse is supposed to be an oscar contender too, and lots more. He doesn't make intellectual stuff, but he makes films that are hugely popular, good natured and incredibly skillfully made. Most directors would be lucky to make one or two of these films. He just keeps going. TinTIn is getting great reviews. Can't wait to see it. Also, when ever I've seen him interviewed, he is unpretentious, never boastful, like a bunch of egomaniacs in the business without a 100th of his talent, and just seems like a decent guy. Hope he keeps going for decades more. And he likes our guy a lot too. :)
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

tampa wrote:

He really is a great guy, and talent. He often doesn't get his due, particularly from the critics who love to attack very successfull guys. People knock him just because some of his sequels have run out of steam. Yes, they have, but so what - who bats 100% when they've done a ton of great films like he has. ET, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Close Encounters, Shindlers List, Saving Private Ryan, his new one War Horse is supposed to be an oscar contender too, and lots more. He doesn't make intellectual stuff, but he makes films that are hugely popular, good natured and incredibly skillfully made. Most directors would be lucky to make one or two of these films. He just keeps going. TinTIn is getting great reviews. Can't wait to see it. Also, when ever I've seen him interviewed, he is unpretentious, never boastful, like a bunch of egomaniacs in the business without a 100th of his talent, and just seems like a decent guy. Hope he keeps going for decades more. And he likes our guy a lot too. :)
Yeah, they say he is a super friendly, generous, and a great family man. Oh, and a genius at filmmaking too, of course. Oh, and we can vouch that he recognizes good talent when he sees it! I like the clip of Daniel and him hugging it out watching those TinTin clips. It's possible that without Spielberg, Daniel would not be anywhere where he is today. There are a lot of talented people who have just not been given the right break. Maybe Babs's observation was exclusive of Spielberg's though. Don't know.
tampa

Post by tampa »

sf2la wrote:
tampa wrote:

Yeah, they say he is a super friendly, generous, and a great family man. Oh, and a genius at filmmaking too, of course. Oh, and we can vouch that he recognizes good talent when he sees it! I like the clip of Daniel and him hugging it out watching those TinTin clips. It's possible that without Spielberg, Daniel would not be anywhere where he is today. There are a lot of talented people who have just not been given the right break. Maybe Babs's observation was exclusive of Spielberg's though. Don't know.
Good point sf. This might have been DC's really big break. I think I read that DC has now done 4 films with SS as either the producer or director. I think SS was a producer on Perdition, then came Munich, C&A (which I bet SB recommended DC for) and now TinTin. SS has been very loyal to DC. It must be because he thinks DC is very talented, and easy to work with. DC must be very grateful to him.
khenton

Post by khenton »

Did I miss something did Spielberg cast dc as bond? :wink: K
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
tampa

Post by tampa »

khenton wrote:Did I miss something did Spielberg cast dc as bond? :wink: K
Nope. SS had some producing role on Perdition, directed Munich and TinTin and was a producer on C&A. So he hired him directly or indirectly for 4 films. He did however, encourage DC to do Bond, according to interviews that DC gave when he was trying to decide if he should do Bond. Apparently DC was worried about being type cast as Bond.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

tampa wrote:
Nope. SS had some producing role on Perdition, directed Munich and TinTin and was a producer on C&A. So he hired him directly or indirectly for 4 films. He did however, encourage DC to do Bond, according to interviews that DC gave when he was trying to decide if he should do Bond. Apparently DC was worried about being type cast as Bond.
Yeah, and I was just saying that maybe Babs would have selected Daniel even if he hadn't caught the eye of Spielberg first. Reports seem to indicate Layer Cake was a pivotal pre-Bond role, but who knows what kind of career DC would be having now without someone like Spielberg having his back. Like we said, there are a lot of talented actors whom we aren't exposed to because they haven't been given the right break.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Steven Spielberg’s ‘The Adventures Of Tintin’ To Close AFI Fest

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/steven- ... -afi-fest/
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

digitalspy Digital Spy
'Adventures of Tintin' beats 'Paranormal Activity 3' at UK box office dspy.me/sktI0G Have you been to see either yet?
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

tampa wrote:
Apparently Daniel phoned Spielburg and asked (paraphrasing) "If I took Bond, would you still hire me?".

Spielburg's response was "In a heartbeat".
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:
tampa wrote:
Apparently Daniel phoned Spielburg and asked (paraphrasing) "If I took Bond, would you still hire me?".

Spielburg's response was "In a heartbeat".
Yes and he sure was true to his word. :thumbup:

tampa

Post by tampa »

They must be planning a TinTin series. For those who have seen the movie, I keep reading that DC plays two roles, the Sak guy and the pirate captain. Is his pirate role a speaking part? It seems like the other character is his main role. I hope the next film has the pirate character in it. The trailer has a very brief view of what I think is DC's pirate captain and he looks incredibly cool, but the pirate guy has no speaking lines in the trailer.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

tampa wrote:They must be planning a TinTin series. For those who have seen the movie, I keep reading that DC plays two roles, the Sak guy and the pirate captain. Is his pirate role a speaking part? It seems like the other character is his main role. I hope the next film has the pirate character in it. The trailer has a very brief view of what I think is DC's pirate captain and he looks incredibly cool, but the pirate guy has no speaking lines in the trailer.
He has a few lines as Red Rackham. But if they stay only a bit true to the comics, he will be back in Red Rackham's treasure, but his role will be very small.
In the books the pirate had only about two pages if all.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

New script underway for Tintin 2

Tintin's new screenwriter says filmmakers are still discussing which story will form the basis of the sequel.

Anthony Horowitz said earlier this year that he had penned a script based partly on Herge's Tintin story Prisoners Of The Sun.

But he told the BBC: "That was true a few months ago but I can tell you that I think the second film is not going to be Prisoners Of The Sun... What it is going to be is still under discussion."

The writer said: "I've had meetings with the directors and producers and we've talked about ideas and action sequences.

"At the moment I'm trying to put together a story that will please everybody. It's a very difficult one to do."

The screenplay for Steven Spielberg's first Tintin film, The Adventures Of Tintin, starring Jamie Bell, Daniel Craig and Andy Serkis, was written by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish.

Anthony, the writer of the Alex Rider series of spy novels, is set to pen the Tintin sequel directed by Peter Jackson.

source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... 230564153A

As far as I remember Prisoners of the Sun has neither Sakharine nor Rackham in it. Hopefully they are making up some new parts.
Sakharine only appeared in The secret of the unicorn and in Red Rackham's Treasure, both episodes have made it already into the movie.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com