Oscars 2009

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

It was his choice to not bend his head and get the press´darling (even at his humble beginnings) and that´s their way to say Thank you - they are pretty merciless. I remember the QOS press conference. In one paper they had a laughing pic of him in the morning, two hours later, they had it replaced with one of the serious ones of him.

I don´t even think, he ever considered playing it differently for the sake of better press. He is not selling out in that way or any other - and that´s what we love and I feel - for the larger picture, it will turn out to be the right decision. If he continues to do what and how he does it, he will be very well respected in the end. In many ways he already is - reading the other Bond boards confirm that.

If we look close, he is getting good press, too - but the eye always rather catches the bad stuff than the good. I think he will be exactly where he wants to be at one point, if not already he is now.

Being able to choose the stuff he wants - make it happen and not give a damn what it does to his career - only if it is a story he wants to tell or if it is a director he wants to work with or a way of filming he hasn´t done yet. (I think that´s the case with Tin Tin - Spielberg and Motion capture)...

He is just a good man - a rare species...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

Great statements by everyone, I couldn't agree more. I can see him being a social introverted person, maybe someone who prefers to be in a calmer or quieter setting vs. a huge circus. And I've never considered him a 'celeb' by any means. People like Britney Spears and Miley Cirus are celebs; they seem more attracted to the glitter than the harshness of the craft.
JoniJoni

Post by JoniJoni »

JEC57 wrote:All those folks saying how wonderful he looked......he did good :D :D :D

I didn't realise he left early in 2007 too.

Maybe he likes to escape before the rush and while the cameras are still on the main event? Give himself time for a breather?

He does still seem to be a bit nervous at these red carpet events.
Isn't it protocol that once you leave your seat to present, you don't return to your seat? I think it would be disruptive to the show and the audience if all the presenters came back. Perhaps they could sneak back in during a commercial break, but that might not be practical. Being a presenter does have it's perks, but also you forfeit your place in the audience.
SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

I missed the Oscar ceremony entirely because it was only televised in the UK on Sky1 - a tv channel you can only get if you subscribe to it. It was a bit annoying but at least the pics were good... I take it he wasn't interviewed?

Re DC's supposedly "taciturn" personality... Those who read his interviews will know he has a tremendous dry wit so no, he is not a miserable sod. Pisceans do have a pre-disposition towards moodiness but that is not always so for every Piscean...It's dependent on the person and their own personality. Like others have mentioned, I think he's just shy and reserved in large crowds. Considering his sensibilities, I do find it surprising that he even goes to these awards ceremonies, especially when he nor a movie he has made is not nominated. Despite his shyness, maybe he just likes to mix with his fellow actors and enjoys a good party. He may be a conundrum on top of an enigma but isn't that why we love unravelling him? Isn't that why we love him at all? Who was it who said a woman would do anything to a man who is mysterious??! :wink:
chocolatecake

Post by chocolatecake »

NextBondGirl wrote:I missed the Oscar ceremony entirely because it was only televised in the UK on Sky1 - a tv channel you can only get if you subscribe to it. It was a bit annoying but at least the pics were good... I take it he wasn't interviewed?

Re DC's supposedly "taciturn" personality... Those who read his interviews will know he has a tremendous dry wit so no, he is not a miserable sod. Pisceans do have a pre-disposition towards moodiness but that is not always so for every Piscean...It's dependent on the person and their own personality. Like others have mentioned, I think he's just shy and reserved in large crowds. Considering his sensibilities, I do find it surprising that he even goes to these awards ceremonies, especially when he nor a movie he has made is not nominated. Despite his shyness, maybe he just likes to mix with his fellow actors and enjoys a good party. He may be a conundrum on top of an enigma but isn't that why we love unravelling him? Isn't that why we love him at all? Who was it who said a woman would do anything to a man who is mysterious??! :wink:

Amen to that!!
honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

I think part of his charm is the perceived split personalities.

He once said when he takes on a project he gives it his all, and there is no point in getting Greta Garbo over things (love his turn of phrase). There is a sense of duty in seeing things through with him which I think shows through his approach to acting and his work ethics, because he will go the extra mile and muck in with whoever he works with.

He hates flying and yet look at the air miles he racks up to promote a film, doesn't like heights but will push himself to the limits, is uncomfortable in interviews but will not shirk away from the spotlight.

He will take on roles because they interests him, and won't necessarily appeal to a wider audience, he encourages talent and doesn't just play lip service eg Bailey and Matthew Vaughan neither had directed their own films, he stepped up to the plate in both their films.

When the spotlight is on him he will take a step back and give centre stage to his fellow actors, I've noticed he always lets whoever is with him have their moment too.

I think he's quite amiable with a dry sense of humour most of the time, if he dislikes you or a situation he's polite but detached but he most definitely has a temper, which he doesn't disguise, and only the unobservant will not see his body language and expressions to know when to back off.

All in all DC is an extremely talented and an extraordinary actor, who also happens to be a star and is able to separate what he does with who he is and since he doesn't let us in on his secret therein lies the contradictions.

My two cents.
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
advicky

Post by advicky »

Oscar Wild

Daniel Craig came out and talked about something. I have no idea what. I was too busy swooning.

Best Art Direction went to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Why? People who like this stupid film call it a "special movie." Yes, it's "special" in the same sense as the "Special Olympics". I don't think anyone has ever done a better job of Art Directing than Mike Nichols, back in Carnal Knowledge and Catch-22, where he did a swell job of directing Art Garfunkle. You think he's easy to direct? You try it.

I found it ironic that Daniel Craig was awarding Best Costumes, as he is the living embodiment of the irrelevancy of costumes, since he looks his best in no clothes at all. It went to The Duchess. How does a movie win an Oscar when no one saw it, not even the people who made it?

Best Make Up went to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. That makes sense, since they just made up a nonexistent premise for the film. It is a challenge to make Brad Pitt look creepy, but is it enough for an Oscar? Admittedly, Heath Ledger's Joker make up did look rather slapdash.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tallulah- ... 69046.html
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

In my opinion, the guys always have an easier time at the Academy Awards on the red carpet then the ladies. Daniel Craig shows just how easy it is when he dons a Tom Ford tuxedo for his trip down the red carpet. Delicious.
http://www.examiner.com/x-1342-Las-Vega ... niel-Craig

http://blog.shadeclothing.com/2009/02/a ... es-to.html
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Birte

Post by Birte »

Nothing important, but it seems as if Daniel and Satsuki also attended Madonna's Oscar party:
[...] and headed up into the Hollywood Hills and Madonna's post Oscar bash which was ridiculously starry. We walked in to see Mick Jagger, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson, there was Demi and Ashton, Leonardo Di Caprio, Sean Penn, Daniel Craig... [...]
Mr. Big's Blog / The dog of the british model and manager Clare Stapels
http://mrbigsblog.blogspot.com/
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

advicky wrote:Oscar Wild

Daniel Craig came out and talked about something. I have no idea what. I was too busy swooning.

I found it ironic that Daniel Craig was awarding Best Costumes, as he is the living embodiment of the irrelevancy of costumes, since he looks his best in no clothes at all.

I hope DC reads this one. I was LOL!
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Cyanaurora wrote:

I found it ironic that Daniel Craig was awarding Best Costumes, as he is the living embodiment of the irrelevancy of costumes, since he looks his best in no clothes at all.

If he does, he will cover himself up like this just for the heck of it Image

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

honeyjes wrote:I think part of his charm is the perceived split personalities.

He once said when he takes on a project he gives it his all, and there is no point in getting Greta Garbo over things (love his turn of phrase). There is a sense of duty in seeing things through with him which I think shows through his approach to acting and his work ethics, because he will go the extra mile and muck in with whoever he works with.

He hates flying and yet look at the air miles he racks up to promote a film, doesn't like heights but will push himself to the limits, is uncomfortable in interviews but will not shirk away from the spotlight.

He will take on roles because they interests him, and won't necessarily appeal to a wider audience, he encourages talent and doesn't just play lip service eg Bailey and Matthew Vaughan neither had directed their own films, he stepped up to the plate in both their films.

When the spotlight is on him he will take a step back and give centre stage to his fellow actors, I've noticed he always lets whoever is with him have their moment too.

I think he's quite amiable with a dry sense of humour most of the time, if he dislikes you or a situation he's polite but detached but he most definitely has a temper, which he doesn't disguise, and only the unobservant will not see his body language and expressions to know when to back off.

All in all DC is an extremely talented and an extraordinary actor, who also happens to be a star and is able to separate what he does with who he is and since he doesn't let us in on his secret therein lies the contradictions.

My two cents.
Loved your post, honeyjes. You were right on the money in every sense! :D
honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

Thanks NBG, I think another thing that's endearing is his modesty, when he tries to disprove that he is sexy, we have Cardidan and, he then blows it when he dons a suit, wears his tux and his photo shots just highlights his manliness even more.
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
Lu

Post by Lu »

NextBondGirl wrote:
honeyjes wrote:I think part of his charm is the perceived split personalities.

My two cents.
Loved your post, honeyjes. You were right on the money in every sense! :D
I agree. I think I will move this to the "member quotes" so it doesn't get lost. :D
My books!

Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Cyanaurora wrote:

HOLY freakin crap! "Huge Jackman" --that was nobel prize winning writting!! READ THIS.