JACKMAN, CRAIG TO TAKE B'WAY BY STORM

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/03/theat ... y.html?hpw

Gatekeepers of the Tony Awards: They’ve Seen It All

It looks a bit like they are twins, that nobody wants to separate :lol: and in a way - thy were.

Left off the roster of nominees were box-office biggies Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig and Broadway veterans Nathan Lane and Bebe Neuwirth.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... z0myDCSyZC
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

He's used to this though. It seems like the awards people all round the world would rather slit their throats than recognise him. :roll:

Hopefully the joy on the faces of the audiences and the crowds at the SD will mean more to him - plus that he and HJ broke all records for the charity money raised.

He knows he was good and knows he is loved. :wink:
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

So true, JEC!
"Hanging on your words, living on your breath, feeling with your skin"
bubita

Post by bubita »

well, there always be a next time.
calypso

Post by calypso »

i think ASR wasn't "thespian' enough for the broadway snobs who do the voting. maybe strip after play didnt help the play?

the boradyway elite not like that.
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

brinckey7 Surprised Daniel Craig wasn't nominated for Best Actor. Heard nothing but good things about him in A Steady Rain.

NelsonAspen Catherine Zeta Jones & Angela Lansbury get Tony nominations, but not Hugh Jackman or Daniel Craig?
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

calypso

Post by calypso »

Germangirl wrote:brinckey7 Surprised Daniel Craig wasn't nominated for Best Actor. Heard nothing but good things about him in A Steady Rain.

NelsonAspen Catherine Zeta Jones & Angela Lansbury get Tony nominations, but not Hugh Jackman or Daniel Craig?
si people are surprised at being left out but they not people who make nominations, they are elitist people
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Box office clout no guarantee of Tony love this year

Looks like this year's Tony nominating committee wanted to disprove two long-held beliefs:

A) That the Tonys routinely nominate undeserving shows because their commercial appeal is too vast to ignore them;

B) That the Tonys often neglect worthy productions that closed earlier in the season in favor of still-running shows that can benefit from the nominations and exposure on the Tony broadcast.

Another instance of big box office not being enough to turn Tony's head was Keith Huff's cops-in-conflict drama A Steady Rain, which played a sold-out run earlier in the season. Neither the play, nor the two stars who made it such a hot ticket, Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman, received nominations.

Ah, but other already-shuttered productions, more than usual, drew major nominations -- and most of these were not box office bonanzas like Jackman and Craig's vehicle.

http://blogs.chron.com/peep/2010/05/box ... antee.html

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

....so to increase the chances of getting a Tony?

Appear in a play that the public does not like!

Simples!
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:....so to increase the chances of getting a Tony?

Appear in a play that the public does not like!

Simples!
Hm - I think it may also be that point A comes into consideration here:
A) That the Tonys routinely nominate undeserving shows because their commercial appeal is too vast to ignore them;
Not that the show was undeserving though...and also I feel, that with Hugh being their darling, they might have felt bad to nominate Daniel and leave out Hugh, even though, that would have been the right thing to do. They were so much a team, that it might have felt hard to choose just one. Dunno, but a possibility IMO.

Even though I have the feeling, that if Hugh would have been the better, they wouldn´t have had any problems with nominating him over Daniel.

Still - he proved to be up to it and very much so and with a play more to their liking, he might succeed the next time around and I have no doubt, there will be a next time for him.
:D

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Despite the lack of a Tony nomination I think that overall Daniel has had a positive broadway experience which may well fuel his desire to do more theatre, both on Broadway and London. :D
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

Let's hope so :D
"Hanging on your words, living on your breath, feeling with your skin"
Corellianjedi2

Post by Corellianjedi2 »

I'm surprised Superior Donuts was overlooked. I'm surprised Enron was overlooked. Daniel should have gotten a nod. ASR should have gotten Scenic Design nod. American Idiot should have gotten at least twice as many nods as it did.

Questions are now coming up as to the nominating committee needing to be more diverse (I guess its mostly old suits at this point).

It's an interesting year.
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

They seem to like the older remakes of plays then new stuff .
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

No Daniel, No Hugh
Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman were left off the Tony Award nomination list for their work in A Steady Rain. But Jude Law was called. The New York Times hated his performance but his name was still called.
LaineyGossip

I get more and more the impression, that they REALLY were afraid to nominate Daniel and leave out Hugh and therefore went with Jude. Hugh is so much a B´way darling and not nominating him but his twin brother might have felt to some like a slap in the face. I am sure, he wouldn´t have minded at all, though, but felt happy for Daniel.

I also feel, that pointing him out in the papers as being snubbed is a bit like a making up for it, because he never was as critically liked in this as was Daniel.

Whether or not he was great and really up to it in the end doesn´t matter IMO, because this play runs 3 months and not just 3 weeks or so.