JACKMAN, CRAIG TO TAKE B'WAY BY STORM

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

trueblue

Post by trueblue »

Jude Law hotter than Daniel Craig?
07. May 2010

Jude Law has beaten Daniel Craig – getting a prestigious Tony Award nomination for Hamlet on Broadway while Daniel was left off the list.

The James Bond actor should have been nominated for A Steady Rain as his performance was widely acclaimed by fans.

But snobby American theatre types somehow missed him off the list and also omitted Hugh Jackman.

For the full list of nominees, click here.

To me, it’s a clear case of theatre people having a chip on their shoulder about being inferior to Hollywood and Jude Law doesn’t count because he’s not done many successful films in years.

I’m not normally nasty to people, but Jude Law was rude to me once so I feel justified. Come on, is this man hot?

Or is this one better?

My money’s on Bond….yum! And I am speaking from experience (see below)

http://www.zoegriffin.co.uk/2010/05/07/ ... iel-craig/
calypso

Post by calypso »

i wonder if daniel will go to this?
http://www.broadwaycares.org/Page.aspx?pid=764

http://www.broadwaycares.org/view.image?Id=1719

June 20, 2010 | Roseland Ballroom | New York City

This hotly anticipated annual event combines the naughtiness of burlesque and the razzle-dazzle of Broadway and has been a smashing success since its inception in 1992. Created by Jerry Mitchell, the event features the hottest male and female dancers on Broadway and has become one of Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS' signature events.

or this?
http://www.broadwaycares.org/solostrips-may162010

:twisted:
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

calypso wrote:i wonder if daniel will go to this?
http://www.broadwaycares.org/Page.aspx?pid=764

http://www.broadwaycares.org/view.image?Id=1719

June 20, 2010 | Roseland Ballroom | New York City

This hotly anticipated annual event combines the naughtiness of burlesque and the razzle-dazzle of Broadway and has been a smashing success since its inception in 1992. Created by Jerry Mitchell, the event features the hottest male and female dancers on Broadway and has become one of Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS' signature events.

or this?
http://www.broadwaycares.org/solostrips-may162010

:twisted:
He should not only go - he belongs on that stage :lol: :twisted:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

getlost

Post by getlost »

TWO MEN AND A STAGE

The formula in this case is, in most respects, almost exactly the same: Two men playing co-workers in conflict, a single set, no intermission. John Logan’s “Red,” about the painter Mark Rothko, had admiring reviews and snob appeal, and the superb character actor Alfred Molina (as Rothko) and the young star-inthe- making Eddie Redmayne, two of the season’s most widely praised performances. “A Steady Rain,” a good-cop, bad-cop soap opera, had tepid reviews. And Daniel Craig (as in Bond, James Bond). And Hugh Jackman (Mr. Wolverine, to you). Read ’em and weep.

A Steady Rain

Oct. 5-11, 2009
(first full week of performances)
$1,276,106 gross
101 percent total attendance
Average ticket price $146.93

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/theat ... 6star.html
ImageImageImage
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

thanks for the articles!
gonna Believe in Liev now.
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

Excuse the rant, but I just don't get it.

I've been thinking since the Tony nominations had been announced that I just don't understand how the choices are made. Ok, I'm biased, I admit it, I think DC is and was the bomb, that can not be refuted. And I realize that box office success does not make a show award worthy. Just because the theater going public likes something, doesn't mean the people who choose like it. But now I'm convinced it's just a stupid popularity contest and the nominating committee have their heads up their snooty tight asses. Ok, I said it.

I live in the NY metro area and during the entire run of A Steady Rain, not one commercial was needed to sell seats. Not one interview was given by the actors to plug the show, yet the theater was full. If I had seen one more ad for Superior Donuts I was going to scream. Now, for some time, all the shows nominated have been deluging the airwaves with ads to fill the seats and the actors have been thrown in front of the camera to get the word out, all to get bodies in those seats.

It's just unfair to the actor that has a great performance, but just isn't part of the inner circle, so doesn't get a nod of appreciation from their so-called colleagues.

End of rant! :roll:
Crazy!
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

It seems to me that the critics tried very hard not to like the play, no matter haw successful it was with the theatre going public. I wonder if Daniel would have got a nod towards a Tony Nom if he had been in a better known and better liked play. They also seem to have a dislike to so called hunky film stars treading the boards as if they are not worthy to do so. :x
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Elaine_Figgis wrote:Excuse the rant, but I just don't get it.

I've been thinking since the Tony nominations had been announced that I just don't understand how the choices are made. Ok, I'm biased, I admit it, I think DC is and was the bomb, that can not be refuted. And I realize that box office success does not make a show award worthy. Just because the theater going public likes something, doesn't mean the people who choose like it. But now I'm convinced it's just a stupid popularity contest and the nominating committee have their heads up their snooty tight asses. Ok, I said it.

I live in the NY metro area and during the entire run of A Steady Rain, not one commercial was needed to sell seats. Not one interview was given by the actors to plug the show, yet the theater was full. If I had seen one more ad for Superior Donuts I was going to scream. Now, for some time, all the shows nominated have been deluging the airwaves with ads to fill the seats and the actors have been thrown in front of the camera to get the word out, all to get bodies in those seats.

It's just unfair to the actor that has a great performance, but just isn't part of the inner circle, so doesn't get a nod of appreciation from their so-called colleagues.

End of rant! :roll:
Absolutely true - but in the end, between the two - great critics (which Daniel actually had mostly) or a full house - they certainly had the better end of it.

A Steady Rain

Oct. 5-11, 2009
$1,276,106 gross
101 percent total attendance
Average ticket price $146.93

Red

April 5-11, 2010
$425,256 gross

90 percent total attendance
Average ticket price $73.12

Ha... :twisted:

Also, I really feel, it was very close between Jude and Daniel and they went for Jude in order to not piss off their darling Hugh in choosing just Daniel. Stupid if so, because we KNOW, Hugh would have been happy for his buddy.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Prehaps critics thought celebrity sold tickets more than acting ability and story . might have done better to not have 2 famous actors or one movie and one broadway actor . They love Hugh and DC got the better reviews so there had to be some reason .
honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

It still doesn't stack up. people went multiple times, and in a recession, I doubt that if the play had beed crap it would have got a second viewing no matter how big a star was on stage.

I thiink, there seems to be some sort of pecking order, and Huff seems to have been treated as an upstart who managed to bag 2 stars for his play as opposed to well established playwrights who couldn't. Also, stars seems resented for some reason which doesn't make sense, if they didn't grace the stage Broadway would be dead, how many theatres/plays got shut down because of lack of interest.

If your going to nominate someone surely the critique should be the actor did a damn good job, and not because you don't want to upset people. The accolade becomes cheap and worthless, you didn't win because you were the best but because your face fits.
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

honeyjes wrote:It still doesn't stack up. people went multiple times, and in a recession, I doubt that if the play had beed crap it would have got a second viewing no matter how big a star was on stage.

I thiink, there seems to be some sort of pecking order, and Huff seems to have been treated as an upstart who managed to bag 2 stars for his play as opposed to well established playwrights who couldn't. Also, stars seems resented for some reason which doesn't make sense, if they didn't grace the stage Broadway would be dead, how many theatres/plays got shut down because of lack of interest.

If your going to nominate someone surely the critique should be the actor did a damn good job, and not because you don't want to upset people. The accolade becomes cheap and worthless, you didn't win because you were the best but because your face fits.
I agree with everything you've said honeyjes.

I'd go further and say that this applies often to Oscars too. Some faces are "in" and others are "out" and some will never be "in" because they are too loved by the public. I think critics look down on public opinion, they see the public as the great unwashed - uneducated in "the arts", a kind of snobbery.

It's the only reason I can think of as to why Steve McQueen never got an Oscar and never got a nomination after his one and only in The Sand Pebbles in 1966. That he never got one for The War Lover was a total travesty. Same thing with Paul Newman. Also much loved by his fans and multi-faceted actor, but only one Oscar in a huge career and he had to wait until his was 62 before it came. The list is huge of those actors whom the public loved best but who were denied accolades because the critics turned their noses up at them.

I know I'm not in step with everyone else with my ambivalence towards Bond, but it's a good thing that perhaps Daniel counts his success by the pleasure of his audience rather than critic's accolades because the chances are that he will be a long time waiting to become the first Bond actor to win an Oscar.
calypso

Post by calypso »

Hugh Jackman attends the Drama League Awards Friday at New York's Marriott Marquis, where the actor was honored for his role in the Broadway play A Steady Rain.
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I remember this - it was were Daniel was nominated here

DISTINGUISHED PERFORMANCE AWARD

Nina Arianda, Venus In Fur
Laura Benanti, In The Next Room, or The Vibrator Play
Barbara Cook, Sondheim on Sondheim
Daniel Craig, A Steady Rain

Alfred Molina won the award for distinguished performance for his work in "Red."

and Hugh here

PREVIOUS DISTINGUISHED PERFORMANCE AWARD RECIPIENTS
Recognized by The Drama League for their work this season

Nine past recipients of the distinguished performance award were honored Friday for their work this season. However, because an individual can only receive the award once in his or her lifetime, they are ineligible for consideration this year.

Norbert Leo Butz, Enron
Kathleen Chalfant, Family Week
Rosemary Harris, The Royal Family
Hugh Jackman, A Steady Rain
John Lithgow, Mr. and Mrs. Fitch
Bebe Neuwirth, The Addams Family
Stephen Rea, Ages of the Moon
Liev Schreiber, A View from the Bridge

So what exactly did they honor Hugh for? For raising the charity money - together with Daniel? - Surely not for his performance, where Daniel was clearly the better man - at least for most of the run. This leaves me speechless..guess he is just not doing enough of this :kiss_ass:

calypso

Post by calypso »

i agree it basura, that why Daniel not attend.
he will not play part in Broadway snobbery or affectations.
even if he was nominated i think he would not be there.

daniel did play for experience, doing great material, working with hugh and raising money and that was good enough for daniel.
he not need other broadway basura.

one think i think we all know by now is daniel's ego is not fed by awards or nominations, his talent is not outlined by these nor is the man himself.

he does things for himself, his own desire to be as good as he can be and to push himself. he does not do things to end up in lists or award stages.

and all that is only possible because he has support system that loves him, he loves himself in right healthy way and his ego is not a selfish one.

i guess humility and confidence is a word for it.

you are right GG, he is not a Image, he have enough talent to not have to be one. he is is own judge and executioner i think.
but best deal of this is we can kiss his ass whenever we want yes?
that how it works :twisted:
ImageImage
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

honeyjes wrote:It still doesn't stack up. people went multiple times, and in a recession, I doubt that if the play had beed crap it would have got a second viewing no matter how big a star was on stage.

I thiink, there seems to be some sort of pecking order, and Huff seems to have been treated as an upstart who managed to bag 2 stars for his play as opposed to well established playwrights
Huff didn't pick them , the producers did , and they had rabid fans who went over and over again and would see them read the phonebook.