Dream House - news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Germangirl wrote:
sf2la wrote:
Germangirl wrote: No, it didn't but swallow that - the same production (they didn't change much) got great reviews in Chicago. So - go figure. They were bashing those 2 major movie stars never mind what - BUT the public LOVEED it/them.

I could see HJ making space for this film, as he loves Daniel on top of all.

I don't think, he will ever be desperate enough to make a rom-com. He said too many times, he will never to now do it. And we know by now, h mostly sticks to his word.
My mind isn't working this morning. Can't think of a good one where he would have been perfect in the role, but I believe we'd all love to see him in one. For me, it's simply the Elaine Figgis 'bondboy68' spot. They were both SOOOO perfect. As always, his facial expressions are priceless. His comedic timing was spot on, and he smiled! :lol:
Oh, I believe he would be f'''ing PERFECT on all accounts...its just his stubborness, that keeps him from doing it. Someone should write a romantic drama for him :twisted: Love Story everyone?
Funny enough, I could picture him doing a love story (which he has) and also a comedy, just not a romantic comedy. Then again, never say never...
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Advertising up-coming films............just a tiny snippet-mention in their list, but at least they are asking a sensible question about the plot rather than assuming the trailer has ruined the movie!

http://articles.boston.com/2011-09-11/a ... in-canty/3

Dream House
Is Daniel Craig a happily married dad or a mental patient who may have killed his wife (Rachel Weisz) and children?
Neighbor Naomi Watts isn’t telling and neither is the trailer, which makes this thriller from Jim Sheridan (“My Left Foot’’) look like “Family Reunion on Shutter Island.’’
dolphin100

Post by dolphin100 »

Dream House will be released this month, right? Are they doing any press for this movie? I read somewhere that they weren't which would be really strange because they didn't like the end product? Even still I think it would be professional to do some press. I mean he hated doing the Tomb Raider movie but he did some press for it. So I hope they do. I really look forward to more pictures. They don't have to do press together. I just like seeing Daniel!
tampa

Post by tampa »

dolphin100 wrote:Dream House will be released this month, right? Are they doing any press for this movie? I read somewhere that they weren't which would be really strange because they didn't like the end product? Even still I think it would be professional to do some press. I mean he hated doing the Tomb Raider movie but he did some press for it. So I hope they do. I really look forward to more pictures. They don't have to do press together. I just like seeing Daniel!
That's a good point. They were all paid big bucks, particularly DC. All of them are professional, so I'm just also wondering, where in the world is the press for this thing. Rachel just went to Toronto for Deep Blue Sea which is getting bad reviews and will go to London for it and 360, also getting bad reviews. Forget the third film she had a small part in, but these three indies together likely cost less than DH. Something just seems seriously weird about the lack of promotion of DH. If they just let it go out with no promotion, it would seem to be the kiss of death to the critics.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

tampa wrote:
dolphin100 wrote:Dream House will be released this month, right? Are they doing any press for this movie? I read somewhere that they weren't which would be really strange because they didn't like the end product? Even still I think it would be professional to do some press. I mean he hated doing the Tomb Raider movie but he did some press for it. So I hope they do. I really look forward to more pictures. They don't have to do press together. I just like seeing Daniel!
That's a good point. They were all paid big bucks, particularly DC. All of them are professional, so I'm just also wondering, where in the world is the press for this thing. Rachel just went to Toronto for Deep Blue Sea which is getting bad reviews and will go to London for it and 360, also getting bad reviews. Forget the third film she had a small part in, but these three indies together likely cost less than DH. Something just seems seriously weird about the lack of promotion of DH. If they just let it go out with no promotion, it would seem to be the kiss of death to the critics.
Again, C&A proved, PR does nothing for the critics or much for the success of the movie. This film is being promotd by TV ads and if I remember correctly, there was a recent Clooney film, which wasnt promoted either and did well. Now you can say Clooney is special but fact is, he didnt do anything, while he is doing promo for other films. Not sure, who is the decision maker, but I would think, the studio can force their stars to do promo.

Tampa, her films are getting bad reviews? I thought I read, she is so good in all of them.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

We only have one source (and I don't know how reliable this source is) that Daniel and Rachel are not happy with the movie. And that the studio took the movie out of Sheridan's hand. Reminds me an awful lot of Invasion. There was aboslutely no press on Ivansion either.
Only the press conference with Daniel, Nicole and Hirschbiegel in September 2005 BEFORE they even started filming.

If the studio wants to promote this movie, Daniel and Rachel would do it, because it would be really really bad for their reputation to refuse it.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
tampa

Post by tampa »

Germangirl wrote:
tampa wrote:
Again, C&A proved, PR does nothing for the critics or much for the success of the movie. This film is being promotd by TV ads and if I remember correctly, there was a recent Clooney film, which wasnt promoted either and did well. Now you can say Clooney is special but fact is, he didnt do anything, while he is doing promo for other films. Not sure, who is the decision maker, but I would think, the studio can force their stars to do promo.

Tampa, her films are getting bad reviews? I thought I read, she is so good in all of them.
SHe is being praised but the Guardian and at least one other review I read on 360 totally pans it. Same with Deep blue sea. Read 3 reviews, all bad, strongly bad. Again she was praised. She's lucky. The critics never blame her. THey all blamed scripts mostly. Forgot the third small film she has coming out. I think she is doing too many films and wish she wasn't doing Bourne. If ever a film looks set up to fail, it is that one.

Know what you are saying about CLooney's last film, the American. But it was not a hit at all. He doesn't get bashed much for low grosses of the films he now makes because he keeps the budgets very low. But I now find Clooney a hypocrite. He was on the record for not doing promo at all - saying it has no impact. And I think he's likely right. (See C&A :( ) But he is selling the hell out of the Ides of March and Decendents at every film festival on the map because he thinks both films will get him possible Oscar nominations. I use to like Clooney, but have turned way off of him. Smart guy, but I think he is a total phony on a number of issues. I'm sorry if I'm stepping on some toes of those who like him.
tampa

Post by tampa »

Dunda wrote:We only have one source (and I don't know how reliable this source is) that Daniel and Rachel are not happy with the movie. And that the studio took the movie out of Sheridan's hand. Reminds me an awful lot of Invasion. There was aboslutely no press on Ivansion either.
Only the press conference with Daniel, Nicole and Hirschbiegel in September 2005 BEFORE they even started filming.

If the studio wants to promote this movie, Daniel and Rachel would do it, because it would be really really bad for their reputation to refuse it.
Exactly. It is very weird. It does look like a repeat of Invasion, but the DC/RW relationship issue makes it different. It is almost something they wish would go away because of the personal issues it raises. But they are professionals, and if the studio wanted them to promote it, how could they not. That's why I'm stumped at the lack of press. C & A was starting to have a ton of press at this point.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

tampa wrote:
Dunda wrote:We only have one source (and I don't know how reliable this source is) that Daniel and Rachel are not happy with the movie. And that the studio took the movie out of Sheridan's hand. Reminds me an awful lot of Invasion. There was aboslutely no press on Ivansion either.

Exactly. It is very weird. It does look like a repeat of Invasion, but the DC/RW relationship issue makes it different. It is almost something they wish would go away because of the personal issues it raises. But they are professionals, and if the studio wanted them to promote it, how could they not. That's why I'm stumped at the lack of press. C & A was starting to have a ton of press at this point.
I guess the movie is just not what they thought it would be.
And I really can't imagine the studio taking their personal issues into consideration at all.
Daniel is very good at refusing to answer personal question, he could pratice here just very often :lol:

So my thought at it is that something went terrible wrong with this movie, just like it was with Invasion.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Dunda wrote:
tampa wrote:

And I really can't imagine the studio taking their personal issues into consideration at all.
Daniel is very good at refusing to answer personal question, he could pratice here just very often :lol:

So my thought at it is that something went terrible wrong with this movie, just like it was with Invasion.
I think it's a combination of three things:

1) We know from his own interviews that Daniel, who was first on-board, picks his movies not only by scripts he likes, but also by directors he wants to work with, and I seem to remember somewhere a quote that he was thrilled to be working with Sheridan. If the studio has taken the film out of Sheridan's hands then he may feel miffed at that, especially after what happened on Invasion. That may well dampen any enthusiasm for press junkets in his mind.

2) Maybe he has lost confidence in the film, it's not what it started out to be, and he wants to distance himself and so is not pushing himself forward to even mention it. Remember the recent interview where when asked about how busy he is, he mentions C&A, Dragon, Bond and even Tintin, but glosses right over DH. It was like DH did not even exist in his mind, not even a stutter when talking, he just glossed right over it.

3) The personal aspect. Yes, he is a professional, but he is also a human being with low threshhold for dealing with crap. Even in his select and exclusive living environment he cannot be unaware of the gossip, the curiosity, the yuk-factor in some quarters speculating about all aspects of it, and the sheer intrusion he faces when he has to bat questions away - even when the questions are not directly asked, as on the GMTV interview in tandem with Harrison. The way he batted that away was done with such a weary tone, as though to say "please, enough already". Harrison looked on with a sympathetic smile which seemed to enhance the impression of "oh no, not again". We only see what makes it onto the screen in an interview. Loads of stuff gets edited out, and we don't know how many times he has gone through all this and it hasn't made it onto the screen, maybe because he has protested or maybe because it just didn't make good viewing.

If the studios are not pushing the promos because of problems with Sheridan (which apparently is why they didn't push Invasion, problems with directors and producers), and if he maybe feels anywhere close to any of the speculations above, then maybe that is enough for him to just let this one slide by and leave it to the public to decide after seeing the TV adverts.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Nothing like waking up to see Daniel standing half naked in a bathroom. Caught the DH trailer just before the Today show today! Prime slot for a movie that no one else seems to be promoting.
cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

oh yes BB that would be lovely! :wink:

Maybe the reason why they are not having a premiere is because the stars schedules just clash, i mean daniel will be making Bond, and rachel, Oz.
So they will have a few adverts on the tv, and that all. I havent seen it in the cinema advertised yet but i have only been to 12A recently.
It maybe just that, i am sure daniel and rachel will just have to do as they are told by their bosses if schedules permit. I dont know just giving another alternative reason.
tampa

Post by tampa »

JEC57 wrote:
Dunda wrote:
tampa wrote: Exactly. It is very weird. It does look like a repeat of Invasion, but the DC/RW relationship issue makes it different. It is almost something they wish would go away because of the personal issues it raises. But they are professionals, and if the studio wanted them to promote it, how could they not. That's why I'm stumped at the lack of press. C & A was starting to have a ton of press at this point.

I think it's a combination of three things:

1) We know from his own interviews that Daniel, who was first on-board, picks his movies not only by scripts he likes, but also by directors he wants to work with, and I seem to remember somewhere a quote that he was thrilled to be working with Sheridan. If the studio has taken the film out of Sheridan's hands then he may feel miffed at that, especially after what happened on Invasion. That may well dampen any enthusiasm for press junkets in his mind.

2) Maybe he has lost confidence in the film, it's not what it started out to be, and he wants to distance himself and so is not pushing himself forward to even mention it. Remember the recent interview where when asked about how busy he is, he mentions C&A, Dragon, Bond and even Tintin, but glosses right over DH. It was like DH did not even exist in his mind, not even a stutter when talking, he just glossed right over it.

3) The personal aspect. Yes, he is a professional, but he is also a human being with low threshhold for dealing with crap. Even in his select and exclusive living environment he cannot be unaware of the gossip, the curiosity, the yuk-factor in some quarters speculating about all aspects of it, and the sheer intrusion he faces when he has to bat questions away - even when the questions are not directly asked, as on the GMTV interview in tandem with Harrison. The way he batted that away was done with such a weary tone, as though to say "please, enough already". Harrison looked on with a sympathetic smile which seemed to enhance the impression of "oh no, not again". We only see what makes it onto the screen in an interview. Loads of stuff gets edited out, and we don't know how many times he has gone through all this and it hasn't made it onto the screen, maybe because he has protested or maybe because it just didn't make good viewing.

If the studios are not pushing the promos because of problems with Sheridan (which apparently is why they didn't push Invasion, problems with directors and producers), and if he maybe feels anywhere close to any of the speculations above, then maybe that is enough for him to just let this one slide by and leave it to the public to decide after seeing the TV adverts.
:stick_iagree:
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

A press tour isn't up to Daniel and Rachel after the movie is made. They sign contracts up front. The contract includes their demands (pay, riders, etc.), and the studio has theirs, which includes promotional requirements. Both parties sign.