Dream House - news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

cheryl1700 wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:OUCH!
TomLinayDCM Tom Linay
Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz having a nightmare: Dream House has taken just £215k so far this weekend
what do they expect no advertising, cept for thurs and friday night on the TV, never seen it in the pictures as future viewing. Blame the director and the firm who distributes it. Its must make daniel alittle sick all that work, but then lots of films bomb, but will still be somepeoples favourvites.
The film has been released in only a limited number of cinemas. If I want to see it I shall have to travel quite a distance, so I think I might just wait for the DVD.

I watched Rachel on the Andrew Marr show this morning (see the thread for Rachel) and I don't think Dream House was mentioned.
caramel

Post by caramel »

DVD, Blu-ray Release: Dream House

Blu-ray & DVD Release Date: Jan. 31, 2012
Price: DVD $29.98, Blu-ray/DVD Combo $34.98
Studio: Universal Studios Home Entertainment

It's a chilling family affair for Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz in Dream House.

Daniel Craig (Cowboys & Aliens), Rachel Weisz (The Lovely Bones) and Naomi Watts (Fair Game) star in the 2011 mystery-thriller film Dream House.

Will Atenton (Craig), a high-profile, Manhattan publisher who leaves the big city behind to relocate his wife Libby (Weisz) and their two daughters to a quaint New England town. As the family settles into their new lives they learn that their beloved dream home has a history of murder. When Will delves further into the mysteries of the house, he is not sure if he is seeing ghosts or if the tragic events are somehow related to his past. The only clues come from his cryptic neighbor, Ann (Watts), who helps him piece together the haunting puzzle.

Helmed by veteran director Jim Sheridan (My Left Foot), the film also stars Marton Csokas (Alice in Wonderland), Elias Koteas (The Fourth Kind) and Jane Alexander (The Unborn).

Dream House received a wide release to U.S. theaters in September, 2011, where it garnered unenthusiastic reviews before ringing up a so-so $22.3 million at the box office.

Still, the movie appears to have had a major effect on stars Craig and Weisz, who got married this past spring after working on the film together the previous year.

The Blu-ray and DVD of Dream House includes the following features:

Burning Down the House featurette
The Dream Cast featurette
Building the Dream House featurette
A Look Inside featurette
Ultraviolet (BD only)
Digital copy (BD only)

http://www.discdish.com/index.php/2011/ ... eam-house/
Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

Morgan Creek Co-Chairman Rick Nicita Considers Exit as Deal Winds Down (Exclusive)

During Nicita's three-year tenure, the company has released only one film -- the disappointing supernatural thriller "Dream House" -- and has had other projects delayed while it deals with the ongoing bankruptcy of its international distribution arm.

When Rick Nicita joined Morgan Creek Productions in August 2008 as co-chairman, CEO James Robinson said the former CAA managing partner would have “a big palette” as his creative head. But the picture hasn’t been pretty for the company behind such early 1990s hits as Robin Hood and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

During Nicita’s tenure, Morgan Creek has released only one film -- the disappointing supernatural thriller Dream House, which opened Sept. 30 -- and has had other projects delayed while the company deals with the ongoing bankruptcy of its international distribution arm.

Now Nicita could be leaving. His contract expires at the end of December, and the company tells The Hollywood Reporter in a statement that “Rick and Jim have not discussed Rick’s contract.” Typically, such a deal is inked well in advance of expiration.

A source with knowledge of the situation said that Nicita is considering his options, including production opportunities and a return to the representation business. During his time at CAA, Nicita ran the careers of Tom Cruise, Al Pacino and Nicole Kidman, among others.

Nicita and Robinson declined to comment.

The future of the once high-flying film company is unclear. Morgan Creek still has a distribution deal with Universal, though the pact is set to expire at the end of 2012. And the company, co-founded in 1988 by Robinson and Joe Roth, had been slated to produce Major League 3, but Robinson said in February that he wouldn't risk working with star Charlie Sheen in the aftermath of Sheen's erratic behavior.

A planned Tupac Shakur biopic remains without a director after talks with John Singleton ended. Singleton would have replaced departed director Antoine Fuqua on the long gestating biopic, titled Tupac. And in November, Morgan Creek pulled out of co-financing Warren Beatty’s Howard Hughes biopic.

Dream House, the thriller that starred Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz and Naomi Watts, was the first film released by Morgan Creek since Sydney White, which came out in 2007 and underperformed. Dream House grossed $21.3 million domestically, but cost $55 million and required reshoots. (Morgan Creek pre-sold the film internationally, which would have mitigated losses; Dream House made about $4 million overseas.)

But its director, six-time Oscar nominee Jim Sheridan, unsuccessfully petitioned the Directors Guild of America to have his name removed from the project because he was displeased with the finished product, according to an October Los Angeles Times story.

Meanwhile, the company’s international distribution arm, Bermuda-based Inverness Distribution Ltd., filed for bankruptcy protection in federal court in May, citing debts of up to $100 million. The company filed for bankruptcy after a sharp drop in royalty payments from the licensing of its films. Inverness holds the rights to such movies as The Last of the Mohicans and Young Guns.

In court filings, Inverness said it was roughly $74 million in debt on a $150 million loan issued by Societe Generale, ING Bank NV and Bank of Ireland, among others. A company spokesman told THR in May that the bankruptcy could result in Morgan Creek losing certain distribution rights in some foreign territories on some of its older films.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r ... use-270120
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

If it's any consolation Dream House currently has a better rating (7%) on Rotten Tomatoes than New Year's Eve, which has a rating of 6%.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/new_years_eve_2011/
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

cassandra wrote:If it's any consolation Dream House currently has a better rating (7%) on Rotten Tomatoes than New Year's Eve, which has a rating of 6%.

That's interesting. I'll cross that one off my list!
sasha

Post by sasha »

sf2la wrote:
cassandra wrote:If it's any consolation Dream House currently has a better rating (7%) on Rotten Tomatoes than New Year's Eve, which has a rating of 6%.

What is worried me is that "Mission: Impossible" has 92...
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

sasha wrote:
sf2la wrote:

YUCK... I hate to give my money to Tom Cruise, but I guess I will...
caramel

Post by caramel »

sasha wrote:
sf2la wrote:

That sucks. It has 13/14 fresh :shock: Isn't it coming out the same day as GDT?
sasha

Post by sasha »

caramel wrote:
sasha wrote:
sf2la wrote: That's interesting. I'll cross that one off my list!
That sucks. It has 13/14 fresh :shock: Isn't it coming out the same day as GDT?
Sadly,yes. But the holiday season is long, people will have opportunity to see both. Maybe the opening weekend won't be as impressive.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

From what I read somewhere Tattoo is in "want to see " ahead of Mission with 5 points. whatever that might mean in the end. Guess it was deadline, which is a good source.

Sherlock, Mission and Tattoo will work it out between themselves with TinTin a close follower. (Sherlock 2nd week, all the rest first week).
Will depend on the reviews tomorrow I think, whether it can make a first or second.

My predictions are: Sherlock - 1st even on its second round, Tattoo, when the reviews are great, as it is more interesting then Mission. TinTin a good four...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Tattoo is rated R, I don't think it will be ahead of Sherlock Holmes and/or MI6.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Dunda wrote:Tattoo is rated R, I don't think it will be ahead of Sherlock Holmes and/or MI6.
Then we have a bet - it will be 2nd to Sherlock but before Mission.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

sasha

Post by sasha »

Germangirl wrote:
Dunda wrote:Tattoo is rated R, I don't think it will be ahead of Sherlock Holmes and/or MI6.
Then we have a bet - it will be 2nd to Sherlock but before Mission.
It's strange - Rotten Tomatoes has opening date for MI (100% btw) as Dec 16? Is it mistake or they moved it?
sasha

Post by sasha »

It's still 21st on EW, but 16th on RT and Box Office Mojo - it would be most fortunate.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

sasha wrote:It's still 21st on EW, but 16th on RT and Box Office Mojo - it would be most fortunate.
As far as I understood it opens in US on 16th December only at IMAX venues and on 21th December in other cinemas.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com