More then 1.5 million $

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

lauriesplace

Post by lauriesplace »

Good Luck Christine, we will keep our fingers crossed.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I fear people are waiting till shortly before it ends - that´s what I would do.
Sure hope, you get it :D

Dunda and I were discusing, how much of these max 4 hours would be spend with Daniel. But then - even one our would be great.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Corellianjedi2

Post by Corellianjedi2 »

Germangirl wrote:
JEC57 wrote:Image

It's nice to see Daniel holding the award.... allowing himself to take some credit for a change instead of being shy and backing away. :D
Elisa might bring some light into this, but I think, that Hugh just handed it to him, so he didn´t have a chance to back up - he knows him well enough by now... :wink: But I was thinking the same - about time for him to learn taking credit for the good, he is doing...
Daniel walked out first, both hugged and kissed Bernadette Peters and the woman with the awards handed it to Daniel who held onto it the rest of the time. He rested it at his feet and between his feet for a bit. For once he seemed to be enjoying the spotlight. Hugh definitely has rubbed off on him! :)

Also, Christine, where can I find a husband like yours? ;)
trueblue

Post by trueblue »

About Last Night…Inside Gypsy of the Year

Four million, six hundred thirty thousand, six hundred and ninety five claps to Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS and the 60+ Broadway, Off-Broadway and Touring shows that participated in their annual “Gypsy of the Year Competition”. That’s the dollar figure raised during this year’s 6-week Audience Appeals period. See? We told you those drops in the bucket can add up to a big hunk of change!

The show opened with a hilarious spoof on “So You Think You Can Dance” with a toothy Christopher Sieber as Nigel Lythgoe, the snooty British judge, Mary Birdsong as a “woo hoooing” Mary Murphy and Bernie Telsey as himself (who quipped “Ha! They’re still looking for tap dancing boys for White Christmas!”)

Our very own Seth Rudetsky and Julie White served as hosts. White was hysterical, continuously commenting on the phonetic spelling of names written out for her on her cue-cards (“Do they think that just because I’m from Texas I can’t pronounce ‘Prokofiev’? Is that something you put on a wound?”)

As for our Seth R. (disclaimer…some in-house flattery is about to go on), he was his usual amazing self! Of course there were a few of his patented “deconstructions” which included one of Gypsy performer Gavin Creel (“Sustain then vibrato, Gavin!”), who had a funny onstage run-in with Seth: “You do know that I just performed and I’m standing right back there and can hear you, right?” Seth also accompanied fellow Sirus host and NEWSical cast member, Christine Pedi, in her Angela Lansbury/Katharine Hepburn/Joan Rivers/Bernadette Peters inspired version of “I’m Telling You” from Dreamgirls. And yes, Bernadette was there.

As always, laughs were aplenty, especially when the “Merry Men” of Chicago took to the stage for their top-prize winning parody of West Side Story’s “A Boy Like That/I Have A Love”. Ryan Lowe played a frighteningly good Anita. (Seriously, put a wig on him, and he could understudy Josephina Scaglione right now!) His fellow “Men” urged him to ”Stick to your own age, someone your own age.” When he fell in lust with a young Bye Bye Birdie-bound chorus boy. His response: ‘‘too young for you, not for me!” Funny ‘cause it’s true.

The kids from Bye Bye Birdie did a very cute tribute to the late Queen front-man, Freddie Mercury, who died from AIDS related complications in 1991. The skit featured Riley Costello falling into a dream sequence (but not before saying “Goodnight my John Stamos/Uncle Jesse doll”), and what I could have sworn was John Stamos himself in drag dancing alongside fellow cast members for “Bohemian Rhapsody”.

Another bunch of chuckles came courtesy of the cast of Superior Donuts who taught a Wolverine-d Hugh Jackman (played by Cliff Chamberlain) and a tuxedoed Daniel Craig how to ditch their charming Aussie/British accents to talk like real Chicago “coppas”. “Here, now put on a stupid mustache” urged Michael McKean as he dressed up Sean Patrick Reilly as Craig.

After Donuts wrapped, the real Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig (who raised an astonishing $1.5mil+ during Appeals) took to the stage to thunderous applause. The notoriously shy Craig seemed to shed some inhibitions along with the handlebar mustache he promptly shaved after Sunday’s final curtain call of A Steady Rain. The two were having a lot of fun (even breaking into an impromptu rendition of Happy Birthday for Jujamcyn Producting Director and BC/EFA pres, Paul Libin, who’s turning 79 this month.)

And while the entire company kept us laughing throughout the 2+ hour presentation, the solemn moments were there too including a minute of silence to honor the great Broadway talent we lost as a result of AIDS. In a rare moment of seriousness, Seth fondly remembered his mentor, musical director, James Raitt, who died at 41.

Another important moment was brought to our attention via a nifty Playbill insert courtesy of Broadway Impact which listed the emails and phone numbers of New York Senators who voted “No” to last week’s marriage equality bill. And it just so happens you can find that info here! Wow, that is mighty convenient!

Backstage after the show, the love was palpable. Gypsy always promises a good show, but this one topped them all. BC/EFA walked away with over $4.6million, which will help continue all the wonderful social service work they do helping people stricken with this disease.

For info on all the great work and events BC/EFA does (led by our pal Tom Viola) log on to BCEFA.org.

Bravo to all the Gypsies! See you at Easter Bonnett.

http://www.playbill.com/insidetrack/?p=1073
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

with Bernadette Peters
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

trueblue wrote:About Last Night…Inside Gypsy of the Year

........................ The notoriously shy Craig .......................

Fantastic!! People in the media are finally cottoning on that Daniel is shy rather than rude and grumpy!!!

At last! :roll: :lol:
Corellianjedi2

Post by Corellianjedi2 »

JEC57 wrote:

Fantastic!! People in the media are finally cottoning on that Daniel is shy rather than rude and grumpy!!!

Now that we love him here on Broadway, we'll definitely have his back in the media. :P
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Corellianjedi2 wrote:
JEC57 wrote:

Now that we love him here on Broadway, we'll definitely have his back in the media. :P
That is so good to hear. :D

He deserves a break sometimes from the "he is difficult" label when it is simply that he is private and a little shy at times.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Why Broadway adores Hugh Jackman (& Daniel Craig)
The smash-hit drama “A Steady Rain” closed on Broadway over the weekend after several months of SRO business, but stars Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig made more news yesterday.
The performers in the two-character police play broke the all-time Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS fund-raising record (for the annual Gypsy of the Year Competition) by raising $1,549,952 in their post show pitches for the charity.
Jackman was already a beloved figure on Broadway for not missing performances, for giving a big boost to the Tony Awards telecast a few years back by agreeing to host it, and for making the effort to return to the stage twice since “X-Men” made him a major film commodity.
Yesterday, Jackman and Craig broke the record Jackman set seven years ago when he was in the musical “The Boy from Oz” and managed to add $632,998 to the charity’s coffers.
You hear some bad buzz around the New York theater community about film and TV stars who swoop in, snatch up plum stage roles, and then get out of town as quick as they can.
You won’t hear a bad word about Jackman, however, because unlike other film and TV folk he is famous for not missing shows (a financial disaster when a production is mounted based on the drawing power of a star) and he also puts himself out for theater charities way above and beyond the call of duty.
To give you an idea of the hard work Jackman and Craig put into auctioning off clothing, signed photos and other personal goodies (and services) after their performances, the next runner-up in the Gypsy of the Year fund drive was “The Phantom of the Opera” with $161,060 raised, and the top touring show fundraiser was “Rent” with $242,383.
Jackman and Craig demonstrated once again how eager theatergoers are to contribute to good causes when show people go the extra distance to encourage them.
All told the plays and musicals on and off Broadway and on tour raised $4,630,695 for BC/EFA. To do that in this economy, from people who have already spent quite a bit of money to see a show, is another tribute to the extraordinary power actors have over us.

Corellianjedi2

Post by Corellianjedi2 »

Germangirl wrote:Why Broadway adores Hugh Jackman (& Daniel Craig)
The smash-hit drama “A Steady Rain” closed on Broadway over the weekend after several months of SRO business, but stars Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig made more news yesterday.
The performers in the two-character police play broke the all-time Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS fund-raising record (for the annual Gypsy of the Year Competition) by raising $1,549,952 in their post show pitches for the charity.
Jackman was already a beloved figure on Broadway for not missing performances, for giving a big boost to the Tony Awards telecast a few years back by agreeing to host it, and for making the effort to return to the stage twice since “X-Men” made him a major film commodity.
Yesterday, Jackman and Craig broke the record Jackman set seven years ago when he was in the musical “The Boy from Oz” and managed to add $632,998 to the charity’s coffers.
You hear some bad buzz around the New York theater community about film and TV stars who swoop in, snatch up plum stage roles, and then get out of town as quick as they can.
You won’t hear a bad word about Jackman, however, because unlike other film and TV folk he is famous for not missing shows (a financial disaster when a production is mounted based on the drawing power of a star) and he also puts himself out for theater charities way above and beyond the call of duty.
To give you an idea of the hard work Jackman and Craig put into auctioning off clothing, signed photos and other personal goodies (and services) after their performances, the next runner-up in the Gypsy of the Year fund drive was “The Phantom of the Opera” with $161,060 raised, and the top touring show fundraiser was “Rent” with $242,383.
Jackman and Craig demonstrated once again how eager theatergoers are to contribute to good causes when show people go the extra distance to encourage them.
All told the plays and musicals on and off Broadway and on tour raised $4,630,695 for BC/EFA. To do that in this economy, from people who have already spent quite a bit of money to see a show, is another tribute to the extraordinary power actors have over us.
NOW THAT is the truth...
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Corellianjedi2 wrote:
NOW THAT is the truth...
It seems here we have had two, who had the power and the entertainment genes (Hugh with the help of Daniel) to make it a pleasure to just throw out a couple of more thousand bucks to maybe just see them raising their arms and yell. I would think it is also the intensity of the play plus the fact, that these two stars would makes themselves available in such a manner, that those with money to spare could hardly resist.

Corellianjedi2

Post by Corellianjedi2 »

Germangirl wrote:
Corellianjedi2 wrote:
NOW THAT is the truth...
It seems here we have had two, who had the power and the entertainment genes (Hugh with the help of Daniel) to make it a pleasure to just throw out a couple of more thousand bucks to maybe just see them raising their arms and yell. I would think it is also the intensity of the play plus the fact, that these two stars would makes themselves available in such a manner, that those with money to spare could hardly resist.
The way they played the crowd, it was too much to resist.
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

Corellianjedi2 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:
Corellianjedi2 wrote:
NOW THAT is the truth...
I agree about the not resisting. I am glad I wasn't there during the auction period. I would have bid anything and had to have sold my children when i got home to pay off my debt. :oops:
calypso

Post by calypso »

ImageImage
Corellianjedi2

Post by Corellianjedi2 »

Cyanaurora wrote:
Corellianjedi2 wrote:
Germangirl wrote: It seems here we have had two, who had the power and the entertainment genes (Hugh with the help of Daniel) to make it a pleasure to just throw out a couple of more thousand bucks to maybe just see them raising their arms and yell. I would think it is also the intensity of the play plus the fact, that these two stars would makes themselves available in such a manner, that those with money to spare could hardly resist.
I agree about the not resisting. I am glad I wasn't there during the auction period. I would have bid anything and had to have sold my children when i got home to pay off my debt. :oops:
When I do finally have children they may have to be sold because of this play... :P