Cowboys and Aliens news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

cheers sylvia nice to know
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I think, they have some REAL good points here. I never could put my finger on it, but this is it IMO.

http://www.justpressplay.net/reviews/87 ... block.html
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Germangirl wrote:I think, they have some REAL good points here. I never could put my finger on it, but this is it IMO.

http://www.justpressplay.net/reviews/87 ... block.html
Yeah, that was a good article, GG.
Following that, I just cancelled my order with Amazon. As much as I like to have a full collection of DC's movies, I honestly don't think I would ever watch this. No sense buying it. I'll wait for Tattoo and DH!!! I signed up to be notified when DH will be available. I WILL watch that one. Over and Over and Over again.
SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

I'm sorry but I wish Cowboys & Aliens wouldn't keep getting such a bashing. I loved it and I am not a 12 year old boy. Am I really so alone with this viewpoint????? :?
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

NextBondGirl wrote:I'm sorry but I wish Cowboys & Aliens wouldn't keep getting such a bashing. I loved it and I am not a 12 year old boy. Am I really so alone with this viewpoint????? :?
Na, you're not alone. I didn't love it, but I liked it and I'm sure I'll watch at least the first 30 minutes again and again and again.
The western part is worth watching :lol:

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Dunda wrote:
NextBondGirl wrote:I'm sorry but I wish Cowboys & Aliens wouldn't keep getting such a bashing. I loved it and I am not a 12 year old boy. Am I really so alone with this viewpoint????? :?
Na, you're not alone. I didn't love it, but I liked it and I'm sure I'll watch at least the first 30 minutes again and again and again.
I liked it. It's not a great film in my opinion but also not as bad as some critics lead us to believe. Daniel was great as always. :wink:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I agree with them. The more I think about it, the more it seems to me like a kids Disneymovie, that couldn't stick to being authentic, but decided to take the tension away by playing it save. None of the good ones (except one) got hurt. ALL were saved etc etc. I am really, really mad at them for not seeing, that this script was weak.
Daniel couldn't see through his fascination of becoming a cowboy, but a Spielberg, a Howard, a Grazer should have seen it. After all, its their money, they are betting on.

Sorry..rant over :wink: but Daniels position as an A-list actor would be a lot better with this being the hit, it was supposed to be. Now, he might fall or raise with Tattoo alone or this is how I see it.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
Dunda wrote:
I liked it. It's not a great film in my opinion but also not as bad as some critics lead us to believe. Daniel was great as always. :wink:
Same here. It won't light any fires, but it was nowhere as bad as has been made out imo.

It had some faults (mainly not enough Daniel and too much HF), but if it was that dire it would not have taken 100mill+.....and if it had not cost so much to make, it would have been seen as a hit.
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

JEC57 wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:
Dunda wrote: Na, you're not alone. I didn't love it, but I liked it and I'm sure I'll watch at least the first 30 minutes again and again and again.
Same here. It won't light any fires, but it was nowhere as bad as has been made out imo.

It had some faults (mainly not enough Daniel and too much HF), but if it was that dire it would not have taken 100mill+.....and if it had not cost so much to make, it would have been seen as a hit.
I'll watch at least the first 30 minutes again and again and again.
Of course, most of us would watch the 1st 30 minutes, because it is all Daniel.
Once the other characters come ito play it starts to fall apart. HF was not a good fit, He is too old for the part. I heard that from a lot of people.
shoot em up bang bang parts were good. But 30 minutes of a movie do not make a good movie. IMO
tampa

Post by tampa »

JEC57 wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:
Dunda wrote: Na, you're not alone. I didn't love it, but I liked it and I'm sure I'll watch at least the first 30 minutes again and again and again.
Agreed. I enjoyed it as light entertainment. I think for sure HF coming into the mix late and their changing the script was a major mistake in that it weakened the film. DC may have told the press he asked for his lines to be cut, but I still think DC's role had to have been seriously chopped when they beefed up HR's role to land him. HF having to also be a hero at the end did not work for me. His character should have been a bad guy throughout and maybe killed off by DC or the aliens at the end.

The review was right in that there was not enough fear, and they dragged out the horseback riding stuff. That is why cowboy movies always have bored me. Lots and lots of horseback riding. Meh. It did not deserve the critical bashing. The review also noted that the late summer placement was a big mistake.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I remember liking it, and I sure saw it enough times in the theater because of DC, but I didn't love it. I loved the western part - didn't like the alien part. The only characters I liked in the movie were DC's and Percy. It's just that I know I have seen the movie enough and that if I bought it, it would sit on the shelf with the wrapping on it forever. There are other DC DVDs I would always opt to watch over C&A, for story and for DC watching. He acted great as always, but was too skinny to want to look at again for the sake of DC eye candy.
cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

I liked it cause daniel was in it, and yeah Percy was good and Sam rockwell. I thought the story was far too simple, not a great deal of thought went into the story whoever wrote it. Cowboys and indians kickass out of the aliens if that was the story, once the aliens came in to it, it needed lots of oneliner humour which it didnt have. The fight between the aliens went on way too long, and the part where the indian man, who was adopted by Harrison, when he died. One minute there was aliens left right and chelsea fighting, and the next minute, a lovey dovey good bye death scene with no aliens in sight. The aliens must have all stopped, sat down, watched and got their hankies out arrrrwwwww its so sad, I'm filling up. I thought that was bad.
To me, they should have stuck to a great western, with Harrison and Daniel taking centre stage, with good ole banter between them, like sundance and butch. It was the story that was bad not the actors to me. It showed Daniel could easily play a cowboy brilliantly in another great western film. The directors fault who put the story together via film and whoever wrote it.
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

I didn't think it was light or disneylike at all . The kid wasn't cute and movie wasn't touchy feely .
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

cheryl1700 wrote:I liked it cause daniel was in it, and yeah Percy was good and Sam rockwell. I thought the story was far too simple, not a great deal of thought went into the story whoever wrote it. Cowboys and indians kickass out of the aliens if that was the story, once the aliens came in to it, it needed lots of oneliner humour which it didnt have. The fight between the aliens went on way too long, and the part where the indian man, who was adopted by Harrison, when he died. One minute there was aliens left right and chelsea fighting, and the next minute, a lovey dovey good bye death scene with no aliens in sight. The aliens must have all stopped, sat down, watched and got their hankies out arrrrwwwww its so sad, I'm filling up. I thought that was bad.
To me, they should have stuck to a great western, with Harrison and Daniel taking centre stage, with good ole banter between them, like sundance and butch. It was the story that was bad not the actors to me. It showed Daniel could easily play a cowboy brilliantly in another great western film. The directors fault who put the story together via film and whoever wrote it.
Yup....that right there was their first problem. :roll: Way back when the project was announced I went :gaah: Being a graphic novel and comic book fan I recognised the novel as being poor second-rate quality, and was quite scathing in my opinion of Daniel taking it.

Then some really good script writers got on board and more and more talent, and I thought I was wrong. I still think I was wrong to a certain extent......believe me, the film is nowhere near as "flat" as the graphic novel, which went out of print almost as soon as it hit the shelves.

I also still think that Daniel has to bear some weight for being instrumental in allowing (or to hear him tell it, even initiating!) having his lines cut back and cut back. He is the master of conveying emotion without words, even without action, but there are limits and this needed more of him.

My mother had a saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" and I think this was a case in point. They should have taken the basic idea of "cowboys and aliens" and then left the rest of the novel where it belonged - on the "sale" shelf.

I agree that once HR came on board, there must have been a push to give him more screen time so as to harness his fan base. If Daniel had not been in it, I would have gone to see it anyway, simply because he was in it and I guess that may be true for many other HR fans.

As a Daniel fan first and foremost though, that was my biggest disappointment, too much Harrison and not enough Daniel and what we got of him was not enough of him. I guess most of us here can "pencil in the lines between the dots" because we know what we are looking for, his mannerisms, his tiny twitches of head and body, the eyes. But for people who don't know him, there was not enough of him to give them something to anchor onto. Jake became a charicature and not a character.

I know it's easy to be an arm-chair critic, and more so one who is not even in the business, but I've been a Sci-Fi, comic book and graphic novel fan since I was around 12 years old (so that's a few decades! :wink: ) as well as a Daniel fan for 2 decades, and like the "fans boys" at Comic Con I know what I like.

But still when all is said and done, I don't think it was so bad that it deserves the pasting it is getting from all quarters and will be no more of an embarrassment on Daniel's CV than Tomb Raider is. 100+mill is no shabby showing and certainly it can't be called a failure with takings like that.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:certainly it can't be called a failure with takings like that.
Yes, you were critical from the beginning, when the likes of me and others were over the moon about this opportunity. You were right with your sketical approach.
But IMO its all about the more then weak and flat script and not about more or less DC screentime. The script is ridiculous and the writers are H'woods Drem Team...go figure.

But the film IS deffo a flop, because it ended half way of even bringing in its costs - so the prods lost about 80 million $ and 100 Mill is bad, if it needs about 140 Mill alone in the US... :( plus the loss on all the dolls and games and whatnot that now nobody wants to have and I am sure, they wanted to get into that market real big, too.