Cowboys and Aliens news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

chippi wrote:
cheryl1700 wrote:Well thats wot u have insurance for, film people and makers, she broke her leg and crushed her hand, taken while to come out to sue hasnt it.
Not really. By the time someone gets set up with a lawyer who decides on what grounds to sue, who to sue, etc. It can be a while. Plus they have to show some long standing effect from the injuries. They do have insurance to pay for injuries due to issues outside of negligence, but she is claiming negligence and asking for punitive damages.
Cheers chippi, never sued anyone, only knew one girl in work, who was in an car accident, she hurt her wrist, and she played on it for all its worth. She wore bandages to work etc, soon as she sued and got her money there was bugger all wrong with her wrist, and she went back to playing tennis. That is the only real experience of someone suing, I thought she was dispicciable.
chippi

Post by chippi »

cheryl1700 wrote:
chippi wrote:
cheryl1700 wrote:Well thats wot u have insurance for, film people and makers, she broke her leg and crushed her hand, taken while to come out to sue hasnt it.
Not really. By the time someone gets set up with a lawyer who decides on what grounds to sue, who to sue, etc. It can be a while. Plus they have to show some long standing effect from the injuries. They do have insurance to pay for injuries due to issues outside of negligence, but she is claiming negligence and asking for punitive damages.
Cheers chippi, never sued anyone, only knew one girl in work, who was in an car accident, she hurt her wrist, and she played on it for all its worth. She wore bandages to work etc, soon as she sued and got her money there was bugger all wrong with her wrist, and she went back to playing tennis. That is the only real experience of someone suing, I thought she was dispicciable.
I've never sued anyone before, but everyone here is sue happy. It's like all anyone ever thinks about if they get hurt...it's kind of sad. It makes all of the legitimate law suits seem bad. Don't know on this one. It seems plausible, but who knows. Dreamworks has deep pockets, so she could be out for some easy cash.
Hi. I'm C, and I'm a Craigaholic.
cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

chippi wrote:
cheryl1700 wrote:
chippi wrote: Not really. By the time someone gets set up with a lawyer who decides on what grounds to sue, who to sue, etc. It can be a while. Plus they have to show some long standing effect from the injuries. They do have insurance to pay for injuries due to issues outside of negligence, but she is claiming negligence and asking for punitive damages.
I've never sued anyone before, but everyone here is sue happy. It's like all anyone ever thinks about if they get hurt...it's kind of sad. It makes all of the legitimate law suits seem bad. Don't know on this one. It seems plausible, but who knows. Dreamworks has deep pockets, so she could be out for some easy cash.
Its getting like that in England, I think we are about ten years behind you. Loads of adverts to sue people when "when its thru no fault of your own" crap. Sueing your employer too, "i got five thousand pounds"
what they dont add is she will be out of work on the dole within three years, cause their employer will lay her off, as soon as poss! Some one genuine is fair enough but half of them, think it is easy money. Its a shame.
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

2012 Art Directors Guild nominees

Fantasy Film
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2, Production Designer: Stuart Craig
CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER, Production Designer: Rick Heinrichs
THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET UNICORN, Production Designer: TBD
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES, Production Designer: John Myhre
COWBOYS & ALIENS, Production Designer: Scott Chambliss
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

Saturn Award Nominees

Best Supporting Actor:

Ralph Fiennes, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
Harrison Ford, Cowboys and Aliens
Tom Hiddleston, Thor
Alan Rickman, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
Andy Serkis, Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Stanley Tucci, Captain America: The First Avenger

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2012/02/satu ... more-50734
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Elvenstar wrote:Saturn Award Nominees

Best Supporting Actor:

Tom Hiddleston, Thor

They gotta be kidding. Harrison and not Daniel for Tattoo?
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

Germangirl wrote:

Best Supporting Actor:

Tom Hiddleston, Thor

amazing, I dont think harrison's part was particularly outstanding, ralph fiennes in harry potter, yes, cause u totally believe he is the evil one.
Oh well each their own I suppose.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

cheryl1700 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:

Best Supporting Actor:

Tom Hiddleston, Thor

amazing, I dont think harrison's part was particularly outstanding, ralph fiennes in harry potter, yes, cause u totally believe he is the evil one.
This just doens't make sense at all.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:
cheryl1700 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:

This just doens't make sense at all.
Probably 'cos ut comes under science fiction
The Saturn Award is an award presented annually by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

You always have the right answer :D Yup, now THAT does make sense.

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

Jon Favreau's view on the C&A disaster

Jon Favreau On The Misstep of COWBOYS & ALIENS And The Success Of IRON MAN

[...] At this point, the conversation turned to Cowboys and Aliens, where Favreau stated, "Cowboys and Aliens, it didn't bomb but it was definitely a 'pillow party'. You always feel this way about the latest project you've done but I feel like it's the most evolved work I've done. Plus, the experience of working with Spielberg, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, 'Kurtzman and Orci' and Damon Lindelof and then Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, it was one of those things where when you achieve a certain amount of success, you're the expert. You're going to decide and give these platitudes of 'if it bends its funny.'... I learned the lesson that you can make the best Bacon Sundae in the world but if people don't want to eat that flavor of ice cream...and the name was misleading. With so many [actors] associated with it, it was seen as the big dog and we felt we were underdogs with how obscure the material was...The name that was so interesting made everyone think it was going to be a comedy and maybe it would've been better served with a different vision... It's always a trick of 'how can you get the big summer movie, with the big budget, where you can play with all the toys yet do something interesting with it. With Iron Man I had been spoiled because it worked out. [Looking at Iron Man] part of me felt that it was going to bomb and part of me felt like this is going to be the best movie in the world.

The stroke of brilliance with Iron Man was [Robert] Downey. It's not that it was him, it was that it was him at that moment, having paid his dues and having a spiritual redemption...He came out of the other end of the tunnel glowing, there was a radiance to him. I knew that if I could get him then every decision for the movie would be obvious. My biggest contribution was the knife fight to get him [as] the star. Letting someone do it for themselves is the most gratifying feeling of connection."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=72158

Is it just me or does he blame everyone else for the failure of C&A. That he denies that the movie bombed is also blah. It's tough but the movie was one of the biggest flops of the last five years and at the point where everyone can check it on Boxofficemojo.com you just should admit it.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Maybelline wrote:Jon Favreau's view on the C&A disaster

Jon Favreau On The Misstep of COWBOYS & ALIENS And The Success Of IRON MAN

[...] At this point, the conversation turned to Cowboys and Aliens, where Favreau stated, "Cowboys and Aliens, it didn't bomb but it was definitely a 'pillow party'. You always feel this way about the latest project you've done but I feel like it's the most evolved work I've done. Plus, the experience of working with Spielberg, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, 'Kurtzman and Orci' and Damon Lindelof and then Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig, it was one of those things where when you achieve a certain amount of success, you're the expert. You're going to decide and give these platitudes of 'if it bends its funny.'... I learned the lesson that you can make the best Bacon Sundae in the world but if people don't want to eat that flavor of ice cream...and the name was misleading. With so many [actors] associated with it, it was seen as the big dog and we felt we were underdogs with how obscure the material was...The name that was so interesting made everyone think it was going to be a comedy and maybe it would've been better served with a different vision... It's always a trick of 'how can you get the big summer movie, with the big budget, where you can play with all the toys yet do something interesting with it. With Iron Man I had been spoiled because it worked out. [Looking at Iron Man] part of me felt that it was going to bomb and part of me felt like this is going to be the best movie in the world.

The stroke of brilliance with Iron Man was [Robert] Downey. It's not that it was him, it was that it was him at that moment, having paid his dues and having a spiritual redemption...He came out of the other end of the tunnel glowing, there was a radiance to him. I knew that if I could get him then every decision for the movie would be obvious. My biggest contribution was the knife fight to get him [as] the star. Letting someone do it for themselves is the most gratifying feeling of connection."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=72158

Is it just me or does he blame everyone else for the failure of C&A. That he denies that the movie bombed is also blah. It's tough but the movie was one of the biggest flops of the last five years and at the point where everyone can check it on Boxofficemojo.com you just should admit it.
Thanks for the post, May. It was interesting. I think his response is normal. We'd have more respect for him if he had come out and said, "I screwed up", but the truth is that most people don't accept full responsibility for big mistakes. It's the same in all businesses. Pilots are going to blame the plane if there is a mishap. People want to keep their jobs, and for him, he wants to continue to get his movies funded. The thing is though, everyone sees through it and no one is fooled.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

To me nobody screwed it up but the script writers. The plot was just unbelievably bad with holes so deep a blind man would have seen them. I blame ALL involved, that they got carried away for some reasson and didn't notice, what was right under their noses. To this day, I wonder, how a Spielberg wouldn't see how terrible the script was. Nothing to do with humor or no humor, just with everything being bland and more of a kiods rollercoaster then an adult movie. One of his worst films for sure, even though the actors were good with what was given to them.

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I agree, GG, however it will never be the scriptwriter's fault. Ever. It's the person(s) who bought the script (producer) and/or told the story (director). There can be rewrites throughout filming, and that's the director's call if the movie isn't working (Sheridan in DH -oops). My guess is that too much trust was given to Fav to make a hit out of shit. Fav took the job. He has to be the one to take the blame. If an actor is horrible in a movie, it's the fault of the one(s) who hired him, not the actor himself. So you're right in that it was Spielberg and Fav, but Fav walks away with the bigger black eye. Spielberg walks away with a smaller bank account.
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

The core problem was the very poor original product.....the graphic novel. Within it's genre it was just not up to standard.

I still don't think the film was a bomb, but it could have been so much more had Fav taken the main theme, ditched the novel and re-wrote the story to give it proper meat.

And in this case, it was one movie where Daniel should not have had a say in how many lines he had. He said himself he was instrumental in cutting his lines to give a "silent stranger" Eastwood-type effect. All that did was leave the audience confused over who and what his character actually was. He should have been the main character and in allowing or pushing for his lines to be cut he handed over the best of a shaky plot to his co-star. It was a better Ford movie than a Craig movie. Ford got the better lines, the better action, the better relationships with the other characters. I think Daniel has to take some responsibility for shooting himself in the foot with his own input (pun intended).