Cowboys and Aliens news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Daniel_Craig

Post by Daniel_Craig »

Last edited by Daniel_Craig on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

Good Grief, December 26th IS a bit of a mad day to release a dvd on!!! :shock: I even think it's odd releasing a brand new movie on this date. After all, this is Boxing Day and people are still doing family stuff. I won't be surprised if I am and that means I will have to wait for December 27th at the earliest to see GWDT. :roll: Still, it may mean that if people order this dvd before Xmas, surely Amazon will 'have no choice' but to post it earlier than this so that the item will be delivered by the Royal Mail as close to the date as possible??? :? Could be a bonus if we can get the dvd BEFORE it is officially released in the shops! :wink: Who decides the release dates of dvd's I wonder? Somebody wants shooting if they think it's a good idea to issue AFTER the Xmas rush!!!! :roll:
calypso

Post by calypso »

Jon Favreau talks tentpoles at Variety summit

By Marc Graser

As a filmmaker, Jon Favreau, like many other helmers in Hollywood, is feeling the pressure to juggle with the rising costs of technology to make movies and the needs of studios for films that will play around the world.

"It's shifting times," said Favreau during the opening keynote of Variety's Entertainment and Technology Summit at the Ritz-Carlton, in Marina Del Rey. "We're dealing with the phenomenon of corporations making decisions based on a set of priorities of making companies money. There's a lot of money on the line and you have to make them their money back."

Because of that, "If you're not making a movie that appeals to children or young males, you do not deserve to be in a movie theater during the summer," he said.

"As the marketplace becomes more brand driven, you're appealing to a global audience," Favreau said. "The stars here aren't the same stars in Korea or Germany. But the brands are. People say, 'I want to see 'The Smurfs' because I know what the Smurfs are."

Because of that, studios have put a greater emphasis on techology, whether it's 3D or adding more complicated computer-generated special effects shots.

"You're seeing more resources going to the technology," on the screen, Favreau said, that's pulling resources from other areas of the filmmaking process. "All of this is making technology the star.

"Technology is daunting, but you have to adjust to the times and not be tied to how it used to be," Favreau said. "It's here to stay."

"Cowboys & Aliens" wasn't shot or released in 3D by producers Universal, DreamWorks and Imagine, which wound up hurting its rollout, Favreau said.

"We didn't get released in China and got none of the good digital screens here with 300 or 400 seats," Favreau said. "We never played in the Cinerama Dome."

Favreau isn't opposed to 3D, but "as the technology gets better, the movies get more expensive," he said. "When you get it right, you get 'Avatar.' When you get it wrong, you get Jeffrey Katzenberg crying out that it's hurting the industry. Most of the time it's the filmmaker's fault."

An active Twitter user, Favreau has yet to be convinced that social media has an effect on ticket sales. It can help bands or an independent film "pop through," with new audiences, "but I don't know if you can make a difference with a movie like 'Iron Man' or 'Cowboys & Aliens.'" Instead, social media is a way to "reward people who are paying attention."

Despite stars like Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig moviegoers gravitated towards other pics like the third "Transformers" and "The Smurfs".

Still, because it takes two years to produce a tentpole, marketing campaigns such "create a sense of urgency" to get auds into theaters," Favreau said.

"It's much like an election where you have to build that majority."
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Dunno if I get this right, but is he really making excuses because it was NOT 3D? He was so obviously happy and so were the crowds after telling them, it was shot in 2D at CC and later on as well and I do think, it was a good decision. He should admit, they all (and with all, I mean ALL) based their efforts on a bad script, which just couldn't be a success. End of story...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Germangirl wrote:Dunno if I get this right, but is he really making excuses because it was NOT 3D? He was so obviously happy and so were the crowds after telling them, it was shot in 2D at CC and later on as well and I do think, it was a good decision. He should admit, they all (and with all, I mean ALL) based their efforts on a bad script, which just couldn't be a success. End of story...
I'm with you. Tickets for 3D movies cost more, so the movie had better be good to begin with. I saw 'Dolphin Tale' in 3D, and let me tell you, I should have read the reviews about 3D for that movie before going. There was NEVER, EVER a moment when you felt like you were watching 3D. You paid the extra money, wore the uncomfortable glasses - for NOTHING. The movie was flat as a pancake. After the movie, I read the reviews, and everyone wrote, "Whatever you do, don't opt for the 3D because there is no 3D."

Wasn't just being a western supposed to be good enough for Asia, or was that just Japan according to Fav. No matter what he does, nothing is going to get Fav out of that $$$$ mess he got himself into. Maybe the producers had the script, hired Fav, and he did the very best he could with it. Perhaps without Fav, it would have been a horrible film. Maybe he deserves more credit than we give him. :dunno: But I wound't buy Girl Scout cookies from the man based on how he oversold C&A.
Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

Germangirl wrote:Dunno if I get this right, but is he really making excuses because it was NOT 3D? He was so obviously happy and so were the crowds after telling them, it was shot in 2D at CC and later on as well and I do think, it was a good decision. He should admit, they all (and with all, I mean ALL) based their efforts on a bad script, which just couldn't be a success. End of story...
Partly disagree. They make crowd reports on imdb and there was an interesting observation about C&A. Because of the “The Smurfs” and “Captain America” (both 3D) all the big movie theaters were reserved and C&A moved to the smaller movie theaters in multiplexes. A lot of people reported their theater was full but small. I think Favreau isn’t wrong at all.

Personally I hate 3D because it kills the indie/arthouse movie market and it’s the reason why a lot of small foreign movies get no theatrical release here in Germany.
khenton

Post by khenton »

Interesting how many stars?!?! Based on fan reviews i think :wink: K
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

K, you have an iPhone on Verizon, huh? Just curious why you chose Verizon over AT&T but I guess that's another thread or PM.

Yeah, FOUR stars?? What, did they get their results from D2D or at Comic Con?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

sf2la wrote:K, you have an iPhone on Verizon, huh? Just curious why you chose Verizon over AT&T but I guess that's another thread or PM.

Yeah, FOUR stars?? What, did they get their results from D2D or at Comic Con?
They did get it from their appetite for making some good bucks with that :lol: Business realism I would call it. :twisted:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

khenton

Post by khenton »

in a nutshell verizon was a better deal. :wink: k
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

khenton wrote:in a nutshell verizon was a better deal. :wink: k
Thanks... But what's with your avi??????? What does that mean??

Single White Male....Oh no, you just changed it back :-k

Btw, my C&A is on order. I want DH though. NOW! :twisted:
khenton

Post by khenton »

I'll email you about the avi. And yes I so want DH Now! I am such a sucker for a love story. Even a mangled one. :wink: k
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

C&A finally breaks £100 mil in U.S domestic Box office

Total Lifetime GrossesDomestic: $100,008,436
+ Foreign: $67,287,872 = Worldwide: $167,296,308

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cow ... aliens.htm
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Sylvia's girl wrote:C&A finally breaks £100 mil in U.S domestic Box office

Total Lifetime GrossesDomestic: $100,008,436
+ Foreign: $67,287,872 = Worldwide: $167,296,308

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=cow ... aliens.htm
Those 67 Mill show, what bad word of mouth can do.

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Blu-ray & DVD News: Cowboys & Aliens (UK/R2)

Paramount Home Entertainment have announced that Cowboys & Aliens will be released on DVD and Blu-ray, in an extended cut, on Boxing Day 2011. Arriving in stores on 26th December, the Blu-ray Triple Play includes a never-before-seen extended version of the movie, over two hours of exclusive bonus features, plus a DVD and digital copy of the film that can be viewed anywhere.

SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:
DVD
FINDING THE STORY
THE SCOPE OF THE SPECTACLE – A look at the team behind the camera for the film’s massive New Mexico shoot.
Audio Commentary with Director Jon Favreau

BLU-RAY TRIPLE PLAY
Disc 1:
FINDING THE STORY
THE SCOPE OF THE SPECTACLE – A look at the team behind the camera for the film’s massive New Mexico shoot.
CONVERSATIONS WITH JON FAVREAU

•Daniel Craig
•Harrison Ford
•Olivia Wilde
•Steven Spielberg, Brian Grazer and Ron Howard
•Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci
•Damon Lindelof
IGNITING THE SKY: THE MAKING OF COWBOYS AND ALIENS

•Finding The Story
•A Call To Action
•The Folks Of Absolution
•Outer-Space Icon