THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

However that might be, there is something so clear and clean about her face, that I like. It sure was major acting on her part to play someone as damaged asl Lisbeth. They should have given her an Oscar nom.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

From IMBD

I actually liked Nykvist as Blomkvist. But the moment I heard Daniel Craig would be playing the part I got very excited. I think he can play Blomkvist in his sleep, so easy it will be for him 'to wear' that skin. Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the guy. (I'm salivating with anticipation already for "Cowboys & Aliens").
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Apologies if this has been posted already, but I came across this item on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13731865

It’s an interview with the actress Geraldine James in which she mentions her role as Cecelia Vanger in Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The interviewer writes ‘She notes, with a hint of regret, that her character does not get to have a fling with Blomkvist, as in Stieg Larsson's novel.’
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

cassandra wrote:Apologies if this has been posted already, but I came across this item on the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13731865

It’s an interview with the actress Geraldine James in which she mentions her role as Cecelia Vanger in Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The interviewer writes ‘She notes, with a hint of regret, that her character does not get to have a fling with Blomkvist, as in Stieg Larsson's novel.’
Shit :lol: they are really downplaying his sex life :twisted: :twisted:

I hope he will at least end up with Erika in bed in addition to Lisbeth. In the Swedish movies his affair with Erika is more prominent in the longer TV version.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

bumblebee wrote:
Germangirl wrote:Hm - not sure about the hair. I have seen her apart from being Lisbeth, but didn't recognize her here.
I guess it's growing out?
Frizz city, they couldn't do better than that? good lord, she looks like a drag queen, maybe that was the idea. :roll:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I thought this was an interesting post re the poster:

The imagery in the poster suggests a strong female protagonist. Lisbeth is at the forefront which tells us she is the main character and that she is in charge. The man behind her has one protective arm around her, but this is offset by Lisbeth's conrolling hand on his arm. This suggests that he is trying to protect her and that she is willing to accept his help, but only on her terms. She is most definitely in charge.

The fact she is naked is a metaphor, it means that she as a person will be "stripped naked" in this story. Nothing will be hidden from the viewer.

He isn't as vulnerable. Not in his relationship with Salander. Last lines in the book....

Lu

Post by Lu »

from the Huffington Post, plugging his upcoming profile in Esquire:

Daniel Craig Talks 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,' Politics, Class In Esquire

Daniel Craig is not a particularly fragile man, what with his mysterious eyes, ripped James Bond redefining the character and upcoming, rough and tumble western, "Cowboys and Aliens" epic ready to burst into theaters. But even he, this steely-gazed Brit, was taken aback when he was allowed into David Fincher's editing room.

Fincher, director of Craig's upcoming English-language adaptation of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo," shocked his star with what he put on screen -- and what he didn't (no small task, considering both the racy content of the book, and the fact that Craig was there on set).

"It's as adult as you can possibly make it," Craig tells Esquire, the cover of which he graces this month. "This is adult drama. I grew up, as we f*cking all did, watching The Godfather and that, movies that were made for adults. And this is a $100 million R-rated movie. Nobody makes those anymore. And Fincher, he's not holding back. They've given him free rein. He showed me some scenes recently, and my hand was over my mouth, going, Are you f*cking serious?"

It's atually pleasant to hear that, given Hollywood's tendency to neuter controversy -- especially when it's anticipating a hit. The book is filled with cyber punk torture and violence, but it is more than the considerable violence and nudity that shocked Craig.

"It's not that he simply showed me footage that was horribly graphic. It was stuff that was happening, or had happened. And somehow you don't see it," he says. "There's more than one way to sense violence. Much more powerful ways than seeing it step-by-step."

Although, given the teaser poster for the film released last month, it probably won't be shy on the graphic bits, either. Especially once you consider that Fincher directed "Fight Club," among other more graphic films.

Craig also considers real world violence, its underlying causes and its implications, going forward.

Speaking of the uprisings in the Middle East this year, and tying them to consumerism and Big Brother, he says, "You just hope a generation's gonna come who very soon is just gonna turn around and say, 'Hang on a second. I don't like being f*cking manipulated like this. I don't like being told what to do, I don't like being told what to buy' — you kind of hope it's gonna happen.

"And there's gonna have to be a shift. I mean, the big companies will figure it out," Craig continues. They'll go, 'Oh, you don't want that anymore? You want this.' And they'll figure it out, but at least there'll be kind of a change in attitude towards it. I mean, I don't know. We've had student riots here. And whatever way you think about politics, the fact that students have — there's no such thing as free education anymore. That's kind of gone, and they're gonna put up a fight. But you know, there was a time when it was free, and education was paid for."

Craig also gives a little tease about the next "James Bond" movie, expressing excitement to work with Sam Mendes on the film. What he doesn't mention? The new Bond girl. But hey, he's got his mind a little preoccupied -- he did just, after all, get married.

For more, click over to Esquire.

I love this line: "He showed me some scenes recently, and my hand was over my mouth, going, Are you f*cking serious?"

I can't wait to see this movie!!!!!!!!!!!
My books!

Aimee84

Post by Aimee84 »

"It's as adult as you can possibly make it,"

HHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

wooohooo this is gonna be one steamin movie girls!...*sings* "ice ice baby do do dodododo..."

the fact that he was standing there with hand over mouth means we are goin to be goo all over the cinema floors ladies!

Post by cheryl1700 »

yep i hope it sex and not volience but it will be both by the sounds of it.
Aimee84

Post by Aimee84 »

just found this
:D
Comic-Con to show new “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” footage this month. According to HDroom, the upcoming 2011 summer Comic-Con event in San Diego,California will be the stage for new footage for a host of big movies that are coming out,including the new “Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” movie, starring James Bond star Daniel Craig.

This year’s Comic-Con is apparently a very big deal as tickets for the thing were sold out in just under three hours,even with reported outages.
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

cheryl1700 wrote:yep i hope it sex and not volience but it will be both by the sounds of it.
I'm almost sure it's much more about violence/abuse than sex. It's said Blomkvist will not be that promiscuous lik ein the book.

And there's more room for violence(abuse than sex in regard to the story.
And Daniel saying "He showed me some scenes recently, and my hand was over my mouth, going, Are you f*cking serious?" IMO points out to that. I'm almost 100% sure he would not react that way when watching sex scenes, he's very used to it :lol:

cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

Dunda wrote:
cheryl1700 wrote:yep i hope it sex and not volience but it will be both by the sounds of it.
I'm almost sure it's much more about violence/abuse than sex. It's said Blomkvist will not be that promiscuous lik ein the book.

And there's more room for violence(abuse than sex in regard to the story.
And Daniel saying "He showed me some scenes recently, and my hand was over my mouth, going, Are you f*cking serious?" IMO points out to that. I'm almost 100% sure he would not react that way when watching sex scenes, he's very used to it :lol:
cheers dunda, normally a film i dont go to see, had to sit thru Fight club with hubbie who went nuts over it, didnt like it when i guessed the ending half way thru it, said i ruined it for him, i didnt like fight club. I nearly walked out of the pictures when i watched robert de niro and the little guy off home alone pics (played one of the criminals) in afew good guys, or something like that, he stabbed some bloke in the hand with his fountain pen, at the end got beaten up with a shovel then buried in desert alive. Not something i would recommend watching.
But i suppose, i will suffer the violence, just to watch DC on the big screen.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

More life in 'Girl' remake

Fincher revs up noir in his Sony pic

Hollywood remakes of foreign-language pics often create some distance from the original by tweaking the story or moving the setting to America, but filmmaker David Fincher seems unafraid to measure up directly against the popular Swedish "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

The original pic trilogy -- gritty and culturally evocative, and based on a blockbuster book series that seemingly put Swedish noir in every bookstore and e-reader around the world -- racked up big numbers for producer Yellow Bird: $235 worldwide box office, more than 5 million DVDs sold and 50 million TV viewers. It also focused a global spotlight on Swedish crime fiction, and helped boost and perhaps redefine the local film industry in a way that even Ingmar Bergman could not.

But far from softening or sentimentalizing the material for American tastes, signs are that Fincher's pushing the visceral anger and Swedish nihilism of Stieg Larsson's books to new extremes. Fincher's decision to shoot in Sweden underlines this.

Photos of Rooney Mara as the abused yet somehow invulnerable Lisbeth Salander, with her pierced nipples, shaved eyebrows and roughly chopped hair, make her look even more renegade than the role's originator, Noomi Rapace.

Sony is gambling that Fincher's edge is exactly what's needed to tempt the huge international audience of Larsson/Salander fans again, so soon after they saw the Swedish trilogy, bought the DVDs and watched the miniseries, as well as pulling in the post-literate "Social Network" generation.

In theory, Swedes would be the most skeptical about Hollywood's haste to remake their country's greatest hit. However, judging by the enthusiastic response at Stockholm's Cinematheque in May when Fincher unveiled the first trailer for his "Dragon Tattoo," the Swedes don't have any qualms about the new version.

The locals were already won over by Fincher's bold, some might say hubristic, decision to stay true to the Swedish essence of the novel and to film in Sweden.

"What I saw looked fabulous," says SVT drama topper Peter Gustafsson, who backed the original movie in his previous job as an SFI consultant. "The big question is whether the fact there's a Swedish film of the same book is going to make the audience not want to see it. But I think everyone will want to see how it is different."

In the U.S., the potential-R-rated route is often a challenge. But to Sony's advantage, the three films were not widely seen in English-speaking territories, with the Swedish movies seen by a fraction of those who read the books. The three novels have sold more than 17 million copies Stateside (including 3.5 million e-books), whereas the three films totalled 2.2 million admissions and 750,000 DVD sales -- outstanding figures for a foreign-lingo movie, but still leaving a lot of readers on the shelf, and the mainstream aud untapped.

In continental Europe, and most of all in Scandinavia, a higher proportion of Larsson's readers have seen the Swedish films. In Spain, 3.6 million book

sales translated into 2.7 million admissions across the trilogy. In Sweden, 3.6 million book sales were virtually matched by 3.1 million ticket sales, plus 950,000 DVD sales and 7.6 million TV viewers.

Spain, Italy, France and the U.K. registered drops of more than 75% in admissions from "Dragon Tattoo" to the final chapter of the trilogy. Some of that may be the result of the fact that the two sequels were cobbled together from footage from the original TV miniseries.

The dropoff in the U.S. was less precipitous -- starting from a lower base -- and DVD sales were actually higher for the third film than for the first.

But only Scandinavia really sustained a large mainstream audience across the entire trilogy.

For the new version, it helps that Yellow Bird, the producer of the original Millennium trilogy, is co-producing Fincher's film with Scott Rudin for Sony -- although the Swedish company's involvement is more a matter of courtesy that active input.

"We have (been able) to watch a lot of the material," says Yellow Bird president Mikael Wallen. "Just the fact they filmed every single exterior minute in Sweden means it feels very Swedish, and of course it's based on the same book, but it will feel very different from our films."

However popular the original "Tattoo" and its two sequels, there's also a sense that their scope was compromised by their TV roots. Rapace's performance elevated the material onto the bigscreen, but the $20 million trilogy arguably left room for a more ambitious treatment.

"It's not like the property has been used up," suggests veteran TV producer Lars Blomgren. "Fincher can make a fantastic movie, a fantastic three movies, out of these books. The second and third Swedish movies were never meant for cinema release."

Even the first Swedish adaptation "wasn't in my opinion a proper feature script," argues Gustafsson. "It was based on two really good TV scripts, and it has four or five endings, typical things you wouldn't do if you started from scratch as a film. From what I've learned from hearing Fincher talk, they have boiled it down to the essence, driving the main story much harder, much more focused on Lisbeth Salander."

Locals have responded with a certain degree of shock and awe to the spectacle of a heavyweight Hollywood director wielding the biggest budget ever seen in Sweden.

"They were in Stockholm for weeks and weeks, and everyone is 100% positive about it," says Charlotta Denward, head of production at the Swedish Film Institute. "It's very special for Swedish crews, to learn how Hollywood does it. There's a completely different view of what's possible. Many of us are a bit shocked by how much money you can spend on nothing -- lighting a street for hours, or repainting a whole block."

Adds Blomgren, "So many people have been involved in this project, the gaffers and grips and so on, they have had the chance to learn and see film production at the highest level, so it's good for everyone."

Denward concludes, "It makes us proud, not just that the remake was made in Sweden, but that they wanted the Swedish element to be very strong, and it's David Fincher, not just any director."

source: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039957

tampa

Post by tampa »

Has anyone been thinking about the Murdoch press mess in England (and no doubt soon the US) and how it reflects on the Tattoo story a bit. Tattoo is about gov't corruption, and some press corruption too (except for DC's character and the magazine) and all of the cover up efforts in the gov't and some police. I remember they use to say about Watergate, and it is totally true about the Tattoo story line, that the coverup efforts were worse than the crime. This Murdoch story is going to make a great film. Wonder what part DC could play.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

tampa wrote:Has anyone been thinking about the Murdoch press mess in England (and no doubt soon the US) and how it reflects on the Tattoo story a bit. Tattoo is about gov't corruption, and some press corruption too (except for DC's character and the magazine) and all of the cover up efforts in the gov't and some police. I remember they use to say about Watergate, and it is totally true about the Tattoo story line, that the coverup efforts were worse than the crime. This Murdoch story is going to make a great film. Wonder what part DC could play.
You are SO right about that! I hadn't even thought about it.
Dunda, thanks for the Tattoo article. I can't wait for the film!! It is just around the corner :lol: