THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

User avatar
khenton
Posts: 4989
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:33 pm
Location: California

Post by khenton » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:55 am

I think Mr. Jackman is a really nice guy like Mr. Hanks. But I agree that nice isn't what I fantasize about--not really. If I want hot, bothered and rauchy give me our hero. At least DC has an aura of mystery and danger. Two things lacking in Mr. Hanks and Mr. Jackman. Even in Mr. Pitt if you ask me. It's all a matter of how you play the game and everyone takes their turn on the wheel of fortune as they say.

Here me sing Sinatra--that's life
that's what people say
Rinding high in April shot down in May. . . .
That calls for a martini. Yea, right Shaken. . . . not :wink: k
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."

User avatar
JEC57
Posts: 10024
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 pm
Location: 15/01/96

Post by JEC57 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:53 am

Lu wrote:Unfortunately I think our hero has a very big PR problem. He comes across as an arrogant prick, and American audiences anyway are very sensitive to that. I mean, Brad Pitt can be an ass, but he'll do the whole "aw shucks I'm sorry" shuffle and smile for a zillion pictures with his wife and kids, and lo and behold, his movie gets great reviews and a huge opening. Daniel does promo only reluctantly and claims again and again that he deserves privacy, blah blah blah. I think it turns people off, especially the very journalist-type people who create his image out in the world.

Up until now, he has been able to depend on the support of powerful producer and director friends who recognize his talent, but I'm afraid that will go away when they realize he doesn't have the charisma (or fan base) to fill movie seats. I am really worried for him. I think he's made a lot of enemies in the entertainment press.
If this prediction turns out to be true, then America can always send him home.........back to England, where we bred, nurtured and love our arrogant prick. :wink: :D
Image
Image

Germangirl
Moderator
Posts: 46405
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Germangirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:54 am

JEC57 wrote:
Lu wrote:Unfortunately I think our hero has a very big PR problem. He comes across as an arrogant prick, and American audiences anyway are very sensitive to that. I mean, Brad Pitt can be an ass, but he'll do the whole "aw shucks I'm sorry" shuffle and smile for a zillion pictures with his wife and kids, and lo and behold, his movie gets great reviews and a huge opening. Daniel does promo only reluctantly and claims again and again that he deserves privacy, blah blah blah. I think it turns people off, especially the very journalist-type people who create his image out in the world.

Up until now, he has been able to depend on the support of powerful producer and director friends who recognize his talent, but I'm afraid that will go away when they realize he doesn't have the charisma (or fan base) to fill movie seats. I am really worried for him. I think he's made a lot of enemies in the entertainment press.
If this prediction turns out to be true, then America can always send him home.........back to England, where we bred, nurtured and love our arrogant prick. :wink: :D
Well, you (UK) didn't with C&A :wink: So its probably not saver there for him.

Personally I agree with parts of what everybody said, starting with Lu and ending here.
The days, where the stars make the films are definitely over. People go see a GOOD film and who is in it is just lucky OR smart IMO. People were prepared to love C&A - it just was not a good film. Same with DH - nothing to do with DC but, of course, his name is on it - so there is no chance in hell, he is NOT gonna be blamed - at least partly - for the outcome - may it be fair or not.

Lets have faith, Tattoo will pull it off for him again - Bond can't do the trick.
Daniel is a surviver. In the end, I believe, he will be exactly where he wants to be and will not regret one bit. Its just us fans, who want to see him shine the way, WE feel is right and best. He probably has another idea about it all. For now, its good, he has stability in his private life and can go from there...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Image

User avatar
JEC57
Posts: 10024
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 pm
Location: 15/01/96

Post by JEC57 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Germangirl wrote:
JEC57 wrote: If this prediction turns out to be true, then America can always send him home.........back to England, where we bred, nurtured and love our arrogant prick. :wink: :D
Well, you (UK) didn't with C&A :wink: So its probably not saver there for him.
Nah.......whether the film succeeded has nothing to do with whether he is acting like an arrogant prick or not.

He has always had a chip on his shoulder about privacy and it was long accepted in the UK. If those abroad cannot handle it, then send him home where his long-time fans just ignore it and enjoy his films anyway, whether they are hits or not.

We loved him before the rest of the world ever heard about him, everything from the good, the bad and the ugly, and I have no doubt he would still be loved if the rest of the world gave him the bum's rush.

There are some actors who are seen as national treasures here, and he is one of them.
Image
Image

Germangirl
Moderator
Posts: 46405
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Germangirl » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:40 pm

JEC57 wrote: Nah.......whether the film succeeded has nothing to do with whether he is acting like an arrogant prick or not.
Agreed 100%
If those abroad cannot handle it, then send him home where his long-time fans just ignore it and enjoy his films anyway, whether they are hits or not.
Well, they didn't flock to see C&A - that's what I meant. They - like everybody else go to see a good film and only secondary the actors, which is ok IMO.
We loved him before the rest of the world ever heard about him, everything from the good, the bad and the ugly, and I have no doubt he would still be loved if the rest of the world gave him the bum's rush.

There are some actors who are seen as national treasures here, and he is one of them.
Yes, you did. You guys had some hell of an advantage from the rest of the world. And I am sure, many DO treasure him, but the papers and press don't exactly treat him with gloves either...

But I am sure, he feel like a Brit and always will...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Image

User avatar
honeyjes
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:24 pm

Post by honeyjes » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:34 pm

Can’t see what’s so arrogant about wanting your right to privacy respected, even criminals are granted human rights. All told doesn’t this all boil down to bullying someone to do your bidding and when they show a bit of backbone and say no you become the self appointed judge who decides that, that individual is fair game and forfeits their right to be treated fairly.

I think Daniel’s made the distinction between Daniel Craig the actor and Daniel Craig private citizen and how we choose to deal with it is our problem, his primary concern is acting, stardom is secondary and a bonus. Like it or not what you see is what you get I think he’d rather be himself than be put on a pedestal and exist in a gilded cage.

Irony is that many of us seem to be more accepting of the PR spin and fake charm meted out like candy to sate our appetites and then act surprised, shocked and gutted when the masks slips re the likes of M Gibson, A Schwarzenegger et al.

Just my 2 cents
JES
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

User avatar
khenton
Posts: 4989
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:33 pm
Location: California

Post by khenton » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Well hj. When you're right your right. I work with the public and sometimes this sense of entitlement I get from people burns my but. Like they have a right to whatever it is at the moment they want. I am entitled to be rude and prying and don't you tell me no. So when the press goes after someone it's like piranha in a tank. Feeding frenzy until the water is red. Their sense of entitlement stoops to going thru garbage and tapping phones. Where is human decency not on the cover of the natl rags So true your observations. Rant over :wink: K

JEC you can't have him back just yet. Pretty please with sugar on top! :wink: k
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."

User avatar
Lu
Posts: 3415
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:31 am

Post by Lu » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:27 am

Lordy mercy, I wasn't attacking Daniel. I'm a fan too, remember? I was just saying that careers are made by the entertainment media machine, and if he won't participate in it, I'm afraid it's going to hurt him going forward.

But yeah, he can do what he likes. I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy to never do a blockbuster again.
My books!
Image

Image

User avatar
sf2la
Posts: 14520
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:15 pm
Location: CA

Post by sf2la » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:07 am

To start, in the ideal world, everyone should have the right to privacy. However, there are two careers where if one chooses to enter, you go in knowing that you may very well lose it. If it's too hot in the kitchen get out. Those two careers are politics and entertainment.

To play devil's advocate, Daniel can't look like he does :thud: , and he goes out of his way to stay fit, make the money he makes, take the iconic role of James Bond, marry the incredibly gorgeous Academy Award winner, Rachel Weisz, and expect to be ignored by papz. Sorry, but like it or not, they go with the territory. It's a career of pluses and minuses. If he wanted to, he could get fat, quit being Bond, or drop down to minor movies here and there. He is thrusting himself in the limelight with these Spielberg/Fincher roles; what does he expect? Tabloid journalism was around before he was born.

I think we have to look at our own careers. I can tell you that I have worked 60 hour work weeks for over 25 years in the corporate world, have had horrible commutes, have endured some horrible bosses, had threats of being layed off, had to do things I didn't want to do, had 10-15 days vacation PER YEAR, had incredible stress, and made a fraction of the money he makes - such a small fraction that it doesn't even register. Bottom line, who has the perfect job? They all come with positives and negatives. I totally agree that papz hounding you would be a major pain in the butt if you didn't want it (knowing that some celebs probably pay to have the papz follow them). I was told by someone who knows, that whenever the Beckhams want press/papz (and they do), they pre-announce their arrival in LA. They do it intentionally.

I actually think these latest pics of Daniel show that he is as accepting of the papz as he can possibly be. He obviously got sick and tired of them, but he held his composure. As GG (I think it was) said, he gets out and about in NY much more than we get pics of. I do believe for the most part, they move about as easily as can be expected, although I believe it will be worse after Bond and Tattoo. It's amazing how so many people I've spoken with do not know who Daniel Craig is. Some do, but he is not 'all that to everyone here. Yet. I also know too many people who do not consider him good looking/crush worthy. He is for us, but I don't think he's everyone's cup of tea.

I think where Daniel gets surly, and rightfully so, is when pics are taken outside his home (those sneering photos of him in London before the Esquire photo shoot.) Ouch. It would be extremely easy to find out where Daniel lives in Manhattan. 'Follow that cab.' Obviously the papz know that location, but they are 'kind' enough not to show a pic of it. There are no injunctions in the US to prevent such a thing.

I think he's doing extremely well to assimilate into NYC life. If he can't occasionally get lost in 1.6M people, within 300 square miles, he's better off in one of the communities like Santa Fe, Jackson Hole, etc. That said, Henry is the anchor to NYC.

User avatar
caramel
Posts: 4748
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 pm
Location: California

Post by caramel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 am

Lu wrote:Lordy mercy, I wasn't attacking Daniel. I'm a fan too, remember? I was just saying that careers are made by the entertainment media machine, and if he won't participate in it, I'm afraid it's going to hurt him going forward.

But yeah, he can do what he likes. I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy to never do a blockbuster again.
Sorry maybe it is just me but I don't get it. What kind of participation with the media are we expecting here so his moving forward is unhindered?
I am of the impression that he is doing quite well in that regards :-k
Image

User avatar
JEC57
Posts: 10024
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 pm
Location: 15/01/96

Post by JEC57 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:05 am

honeyjes wrote:Can’t see what’s so arrogant about wanting your right to privacy respected, even criminals are granted human rights. All told doesn’t this all boil down to bullying someone to do your bidding and when they show a bit of backbone and say no you become the self appointed judge who decides that, that individual is fair game and forfeits their right to be treated fairly.

I think Daniel’s made the distinction between Daniel Craig the actor and Daniel Craig private citizen and how we choose to deal with it is our problem, his primary concern is acting, stardom is secondary and a bonus. Like it or not what you see is what you get I think he’d rather be himself than be put on a pedestal and exist in a gilded cage.

Irony is that many of us seem to be more accepting of the PR spin and fake charm meted out like candy to sate our appetites and then act surprised, shocked and gutted when the masks slips re the likes of M Gibson, A Schwarzenegger et al.

Just my 2 cents
JES
khenton wrote:Well hj. When you're right your right. I work with the public and sometimes this sense of entitlement I get from people burns my but. Like they have a right to whatever it is at the moment they want. I am entitled to be rude and prying and don't you tell me no. So when the press goes after someone it's like piranha in a tank. Feeding frenzy until the water is red. Their sense of entitlement stoops to going thru garbage and tapping phones. Where is human decency not on the cover of the natl rags So true your observations. Rant over :wink: K

JEC you can't have him back just yet. Pretty please with sugar on top! :wink: k
I agree with both of you - and as I said, if the media out there in Hollyweird can't handle his attitude, he can always come back home.

The number of times he travels through his home county to his family and there has never been any photos. His home community close ranks around him and protects him. There may be an odd tweet or two about seeing him driving past or visiting a hospital doing charity work or something, but that's it.

I think we are incredibly lucky anyway with what we get from him. When he goes to work and puts on an appearance for us fans, we get value for money. He's aware of his own attraction and does proper photoshoots with good fashion photographers. Take a look in the gallery at the hundreds of professional photos we get of him, and have got from him down through the years. Yes, he gets paid for them and yes, he gets the positive effects of the publicity, but what he gives us is well thought-out and good quality.

Of course I like the pap pics as much as anyone else, they keep us going between films. But they are a guilty treat because we all know he is not comfortable with having a camera shoved in his face when out walking (or with some dick with a mobile phone trying to take a photo of him urinating in a toilet - pun intended! :evil: ).

We take what we can get, and I like to think that most of us, when we look at those guilty treats hope, very quietly in our own hearts, that his day was not ruined by the intrusion.

(And Lu......I wasn't having a go a you. :comfort: This is just my thoughts on what I think the media can do with their idea of what they want and what think they are entitled to)
Image
Image

User avatar
honeyjes
Posts: 988
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:24 pm

Post by honeyjes » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:17 am

sf2la wrote:To start, in the ideal world, everyone should have the right to privacy. However, there are two careers where if one chooses to enter, you go in knowing that you may very well lose it. If it's too hot in the kitchen get out. Those two careers are politics and entertainment.
This is like saying a fireman shouldn’t go into a burning building. Sorry but I don’t see the correlation, yes all professions have their good and bad side, but surely the fundamentals of respecting an individual applies to all. Anyone who has a gift regardless of the profession should be able to harness that to the best of their ability and not be boxed in and restricted from achieving their goal because we’ve taken it upon ourselves to choose and define what freedoms their entitled to.

Yes the paps are an (un)necessary evil, yes he earns a lot of money but no amount of monetary gain will compensate for invading ones personal space, the prying eyes and lens, the lies and the malevolent put downs continually perpetuated.
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater

Germangirl
Moderator
Posts: 46405
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Germangirl » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:03 am

Lu wrote:Lordy mercy, I wasn't attacking Daniel. I'm a fan too, remember? I was just saying that careers are made by the entertainment media machine, and if he won't participate in it, I'm afraid it's going to hurt him going forward.

But yeah, he can do what he likes. I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy to never do a blockbuster again.
I agree Lu - with this and what you said earlier - 100%. Its the way it works and I have seen too many posts from people, who are turned off by his attitude.

I think, what those opposing your opinion might not take into consideration is, that you never said, you feel, its RIGHT. You didn't and I believe you don't feel that way, neither do I. It is NOT. Neither right nor fair, but IMO, its the way it goes.

He will not change, because that would make him incredibly unhappy, and I am sure, is willing to accept the negative for himself coming out of that.

Sorry, if this is an unpopular opinion, but I am always glad, if we have REAL discussions and nobody should be afraid to have her saying.. :wink:

A sure thing is - we all want his best and the best way to do that is accepting his ways IMO, BUT its not a mistake to see, what it might lead to. He is partly fighting a system, that's been there for ever and he isn't likely to win - what he does win IMO is, being able to look into the mirror every morning without :vomit: and this in itsself surely is a win for our man.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Image

User avatar
sf2la
Posts: 14520
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:15 pm
Location: CA

Post by sf2la » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:19 am

honeyjes wrote:
sf2la wrote:To start, in the ideal world, everyone should have the right to privacy. However, there are two careers where if one chooses to enter, you go in knowing that you may very well lose it. If it's too hot in the kitchen get out. Those two careers are politics and entertainment.
This is like saying a fireman shouldn’t go into a burning building. Sorry but I don’t see the correlation, yes all professions have their good and bad side, but surely the fundamentals of respecting an individual applies to all. Anyone who has a gift regardless of the profession should be able to harness that to the best of their ability and not be boxed in and restricted from achieving their goal because we’ve taken it upon ourselves to choose and define what freedoms their entitled to.

Yes the paps are an (un)necessary evil, yes he earns a lot of money but no
amount of monetary gain will compensate for invading ones personal space, the prying eyes and lens, the lies and the malevolent put downs continually perpetuated.
No, that's like saying a fireman's job IS to go into a burning building. Firemen get a lot of trash talk for getting paid a very decent wage plus fantastic benefits and overtime for sitting around a firehouse, barbecuing, watching tv, etc. All true until they have to go out on a run to a fire, car accident, etc - the occasional, very unpleasant part of the job.

I know we've had this discussion before. I am saying that when an individual enters the entertainment industry and has a level of success, an element of the 'dark side' for some is the the paparazzi. They know that. There are limits as reminded by NotW, but walking down a public street is apparently fair game and has been since cameras, stars, and the media were invented.

I would hate it, too, but espousing that everyone has a right to a life without papz is, to me, a futile argument, right or wrong. It is unfortunate that some are relegated to a life that makes it nearly impossible to go out in public without a full security team, but Daniel doesn't yet suffer from that. He goes to restaurants, concerts, the theater, gyms, grocery stores, etc., without cameras in tow. If one is to say that all photos of celebs on public property should be prevented, someone from the union to which they belong should propose legislation.

I think this is a tough issue. It would be great if celebs could sign up to have their photos taken or not; the yes or no list, but that's not how the machine works.

User avatar
cheryl1700
Posts: 9682
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Post by cheryl1700 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:12 am

The girl with the dragon tattoo london premiere is 12th december, cinema as yet to be confirmed.
Image

Post Reply