THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
Germangirl wrote:This film gets so much buzz in advance, they are really pressed now to make it as good or better then the original. The interest level is high and people will go see it just out of curiosity. So - in the end, it could be epic or fail. One of those challenges again for him.
Agreed....lets hope they can pull it out of the bag! A lot of expectation riding on it!
Plus it sounds, he might be in LA for it.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
Germangirl wrote:This film gets so much buzz in advance, they are really pressed now to make it as good or better then the original. The interest level is high and people will go see it just out of curiosity. So - in the end, it could be epic or fail. One of those challenges again for him.
Agreed....lets hope they can pull it out of the bag! A lot of expectation riding on it!
One thing for sure, it could be an absolute turkey and it would not be Daniel's fault and neither would it ( probably! ) affect his personal reviews.

Most people were so-so about QoS but most said how wonderful he was. Invasion was slammed and one of the reasons was.....not enough Daniel. FOAF was so-so received but there were two stars, Daniel who people wanted more of and Emile Robert.

Daniel can carry a so-so film, but one of two things happen. Either he tends then to make the weaker elements even weaker because they don't stand up well against his awesome talent which shines every minute he's on screen (QoS!). Or, he pulls everyone up with him and brings them along by getting the best out of them (Love and Rage, Archangel).

It will be extremely sad and disappointing if Fincher blows it, but if he comes close to that then Daniel has the acting chops to pull a turkey into something half-decent in spite of directing snafoos.

I hope they don't shoot it in LA. :roll: Two reasons, they need the ambience of northern Europe and second, we want him back please! Image
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:
One thing for sure, it could be an absolute turkey and it would not be Daniel's fault and neither would it ( probably! ) affect his personal reviews.

Most people were so-so about QoS but most said how wonderful he was. Invasion was slammed and one of the reasons was.....not enough Daniel. FOAF was so-so received but there were two stars, Daniel who people wanted more of and Emile Robert.

Daniel can carry a so-so film, but one of two things happen. Either he tends then to make the weaker elements even weaker because they don't stand up well against his awesome talent which shines every minute he's on screen (QoS!). Or, he pulls everyone up with him and brings them along by getting the best out of them (Love and Rage, Archangel).

It will be extremely sad and disappointing if Fincher blows it, but if he comes close to that then Daniel has the acting chops to pull a turkey into something half-decent in spite of directing snafoos.

I hope they don't shoot it in LA. :roll: Two reasons, they need the ambience of northern Europe and second, we want him back please! Image
No, I was mentioning LA, because that might be the place, where they screentest the girls with him.

All of what you said, plus I think - after viewing the 2nd film, that surpassing MN won't be difficult, because I found him rather bland in the 2nd and wasn't overwhelmed in the first either. Lisbeth will be the tough part to pull off and unfortunately, I believe, the films success will depend largely on her. Daniel can be brilliant in it (and he will) but with her failing, the whole thing will IMO. So - fingers crossed for a brilliant lisbeth. But yeah - he will help her getting the best out of her, like he always tries - to make his co-stars look their best.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

JEC and GG - thank you for the well-thought out observations. I value your opinions.
calypso

Post by calypso »

Germangirl wrote:
I hope they don't shoot it in LA. :roll: Two reasons, they need the ambience of northern Europe and second, we want him back please!
Fincher stated they film in Uppsala and Stockholm.

Maybe interiors in LA?
ImageImage
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://www.moviehole.net/201025793-lowe ... o-audition

Last week it was reported that Australian actress Sophie Lowe, so good in last year's "Beautiful Kate", was one of a handful of actresses being considered for the Lisbeth Salander role in David Fincher's swiftly ballyhooed English-language remake of "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

The Herald-Sun caught up with Lowe at the Melbourne premiere of her film "Blame" last night, and the actress confirmed she had indeed tested for the role.

"I was flown over especially for that last week," Lowe said. "I met David Fincher for the screen test, it was amazing and is so surreal I was in the category with all these amazing actresses."

Should she got the nod, Lowe will share the screen with James Bond himself, Daniel Craig.

"Let's just see what happens first, but anything is possible," Lowe said in regards to playing the brooding tattooed hacker with Aspergers.

According to Deadline, Fincher tested more actresses this week and will hold bring in another round of prospective Lisbeth's on Sunday.

''I've heard that Fincher will test as many as six actresses this time, and the stakes have been raised. [Star] Daniel Craig will read alongside the aspirants, and each of them will get the full hair, makeup, wardrobe, and piercings treatment, which wasn't done in the earlier tests", says the site. "This should give Fincher a sense of who is the best match to play the rogue computer hacking genius -- one of the most complex roles to come along for a young actress in a very long time."

Deadline says it's likely that Lowe is still in the mix, as are Ellen Page, Mia Wasikowska (''Alice in Wonderland''), Emily Browning (''Sucker Punch''), Sarah Snook (''Sleeping Beauty''), Rooney Mara (''The Social Network''), and Frenchie Lea Seydoux.
ImageImage
cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

Fincher has DC reading with the actresses because part of the movie's success depends on onscreen chemistry.

Going back to Hotel Splendide or even Love is the Devil, who has had the best onscreen chemistry with DC? the worst?

I don't think either of the Bond movies spends enough time on the Bond-Bond girl interaction to create real chemistry.
cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

Uh-oh. I forgot Ice House. Moll Flanders.
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

I think just casting is in LA .Exteriors in Sweden . Interiors ?

I have the movie waiting at the library for me .
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rape.html

How a brutal rape and a lifelong burden of guilt fuelled Girl with the Dragon Tattoo writer Stieg Larsson

By Kurdo Baski

The chapel in southern Stockholm was packed on that icy December day in 2004. We filed past the coffin to pay our respects, whispering final messages to Stieg Larsson.

The Stieg we were mourning was a tireless hero in the fight against neo-Nazism, but the man the world now remembers is someone quite different - the author of one of the biggest, least expected publishing successes of modern times.

His crime novels - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest - were published after his death, have sold 30million copies and have made Stieg Larsson a global celebrity.

Private: Stieg Larsson, right, who died in November 2004, and his partner Eva Gabrielsson are seen relaxing over a cup of coffee at cafe in the city of Strangnas, Sweden

People beg me to sign his books, simply because I was his friend. A critically-acclaimed Swedish film version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has already been released and now Hollywood is planning its own take, with Carey Mulligan and Daniel Craig rumoured as stars.

Despite the acclaim, however, Stieg remains a man of secrets. Before his death few people knew he was writing his novels, and he was intensely private, rarely talking about the first 20 years of his life. On one occasion though, he told me a chilling story about something in his past that drove his passion and creativity.

I did not know the whole story but I was given the bare but brutal details. As a fellow journalist and former colleague of Stieg's, I wanted to know more. In short, who was Stieg, and what fuelled his writing? I found out - and uncovered the dark secret behind The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

A year after Stieg's death from a heart attack, the journalist in me was still asking questions. No human being is capable of working as hard as he did. Did he do it to achieve ambitious goals or was it a form of escapism?

Stieg had so many secrets - the most extreme was the trilogy that he wrote at night. That was unusual enough, but stranger still was the fact that he waited to complete three thumping great novels before submitting them to a publisher.

Stieg was born in 1954, the son of a decorator and a shop worker. The family moved often when he was young. Stieg had also worked as a dishwasher before completing his two years of national service with an infantry regiment.

As I traced Stieg's past, I felt a kinship with him. I, too, was forced to move frequently because of my father's political activities in the Kurdish part of South-East Turkey. In 1980, when I was a teenager, I moved to Stockholm.

Like many of his generation, Stieg had grown up with a political vision - in his case, Trotskyism. He became interested in politics as a teenager, attending a Vietnam War protest in 1972. It was there that he met Eva Gabrielsson, who would go on to become his partner.

Man of many talents: Stieg Larsson on assignment for Swedish newsagency TT and Vagabond magazine on the Transsiberian railroad from Moscow to Hongkong and Beijing

The stereotypical crime novel begins with a phone call, usually in the early hours. That is how the story of Stieg and me also began in February 1992, even if it was not in the middle of the night. As I picked up the handset, the voice at the other end skipped the usual polite preliminaries: 'I hope I'm not disturbing you at an inconvenient moment. I have something important to discuss.'

I was on a strike committee in Stockholm, set up in reaction to a series of racist shootings by a gunman dubbed the Laser Man. Stieg wanted me to extend the action we had organised against the attacks to include all Swedish people, not just immigrants.

He said: 'Why is it only immigrants who are allowed to take part in the strike? How do you envisage including my solidarity with Swedish immigrants?'

We met face-to-face for the first time nine months later. After arriving an hour late for lunch, Stieg discussed Black And White, the anti-racist magazine I edited. He had helped found a magazine called Expo, which had similar aims, while at the same time working for a news agency.

Needless to say, magazines which scrutinise racists and neo-Nazis attract enemies. Expo staff received many death threats. In the worst incident, in 1999, a former member of its staff, his partner and their eight-year-old baby survived a car bomb attack.

The same year, shots were fired into my flat, a stone's throw from Stieg's house.
'The only part of his body Stieg kept in trim was his brain - the rest of him had to survive as best it could.'

Stieg would often exaggerate threats aimed at people close to him, but trivialise those directed at him, taking few precautions to protect himself despite being shadowed by neo-Nazis.

He had no narcissistic or exhibitionist tendencies - he always wanted to be in the background, happy to take on work and share praise with others. He made sure he didn't appear in photographs.

Nonetheless, there was something electric about Stieg. If you managed to interpret the signals he sent out correctly, your whole environment was lit up. But if you misunderstood his intentions, he could burn everything that got in his way, including himself.

He was both a dream and a nightmare to work with.

People used to joke that he worked from 9 to 5 - that is, 9am until 5am the next morning. He was pushing himself to the limit, his bloodshot eyes betraying his exhaustion. He sometimes compared his sleeping habits to Winston Churchill's.

Whereas the wartime leader had champagne and cigars to sustain him, Stieg drank up to 20 cups of coffee a day and smoked two to three packets of cigarettes.

The only part of his body Stieg kept in trim was his brain - the rest of him had to survive as best it could.

He was fantastic with language, but far less so when it came to figures. As a result, Expo was always teetering towards bankruptcy, but he would not let it die.

In 1998, we agreed to merge our magazines. 'Behind closed doors I will be the editor, but I don't want my name linked publicly with the job,' he said.

'As usual, in other words,' I said. For the last ten years of Stieg's life, we met almost every day and regarded each other as close friends. Because he was 11 years older than me, Stieg called me his kid brother and I called him my big brother. It was a joke, but also a true reflection of our mutual trust.

He had mentioned to me in 1997 that he was writing a novel and I think this was the time he wrote the opening chapter of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. However, it became clear that Stieg was devoting more and more time to his writing when Eva phoned me at 2.15am one day in November 1999 to say tearfully that Stieg hadn't come home. He had fallen asleep on the office sofa.

While he was shaping his novels, two events affected Stieg emotionally. In November 2001, model Melissa Nordell was murdered by her Swedish boyfriend because he refused to respect her wish to break off their relationship. Every time Melissa's name or fate was mentioned, Stieg's eyes would fill with tears. He could not accept someone could be denied their freedom simply because of their gender.

Two months later, Fadime Sahindal, a Swedish-Kurdish woman, was murdered by her father. She was killed because she wanted to lead her own life, to go her own way.

'Every day, all over the world, women are mutilated, murdered, ill-treated or circumcised by men rich and poor,' Stieg told me soon after the killings.

'It might happen in South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Norway, Mexico, Tibet or Iran. But the fact is that there's no such thing as soft or hard oppression of women: men want to own women, they want to control women, they are afraid of women. Men hate women. The oppression of women has nothing to do with religion or ethnicity.'

This is why Stieg refused to change the title of his first novel. In Sweden it was called Men Who Hate Women, although it was often changed in translated versions to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Although he had written several books about racism, Stieg wanted to become a bestselling author - not to make himself rich, but to earn enough money to continue to publish Expo.

Stieg had premonitions that his trilogy would be a success, and he thought he could change the world with sound financial backing. He also said he found it relaxing to write novels.

In the middle of the night, while everyone else was in bed, he would be writing in his office. There, in the small hours, Stieg Larsson the crime novelist was created.

In the summer of 2003, he started talking more about his work on the novels, but he never mentioned the fact that he had already sent the manuscripts to a publishing house, which turned them down.

Fortunately, Robert Aschberg, Expo's publisher, had read them and recommended them to Norstedts, Sweden's oldest publishing house. Its editors, having read the first two novels at one sitting, signed him up immediately.

Many readers of Stieg's books wonder how much of himself is in the character of Mikael Blomkvist, the main male protagonist. There are similarities, of course: they are both journalists and work on magazines critical of contemporary society, but that's where it ends.

In fact, Stieg had more in common with the heroine, Lisbeth Salander, not least in their shared lack of confidence in so-called authorities. They both had a reluctance to talk about the past, preferring not to discuss their childhoods, and they had similarly bad eating habits. It is hardly surprising that Stieg made Lisbeth a chain-smoker and a drinker of awful coffee.

What makes his books unique is the way he portrays the violent exploitation of women. These stories were told by somebody who knew what he was talking about.

A few of the Expo staff are clearly recognisable in the books. An important person in the history of Expo was Jenny, who most probably inspired Lisbeth Salander's appearance, clothes and tattoos. Mikael Blomkvist's endless philandering is reminiscent of somebody, who also happened to be called Michael, who worked on the magazine in the early days.

Big hit: A scene from the film The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo which drove a surge of interest in Stockholm

During the time Stieg was collecting material, an average of 36 women a year were killed in Sweden by men who knew them well. More or less everything he wrote depicts women who are attacked, women who are raped, women who are illtreated and murdered because they challenge patriarchy. Stieg wanted to do something about this senseless violence.

However, one of the most pressing reasons why Stieg wrote his novels happened in the late summer of 1969.

The location was a camping site in Umea, northern Sweden, where he was brought up. I have always avoided writing about what happened that day, but it is unavoidable in this context. It affected Stieg so deeply that it became a sombre leitmotif running through his books.

On that day, 15-year-old Stieg watched three friends rape a girl, also called Lisbeth, who was the same age as him and someone he knew. Her screams were heartrending, but he didn't intervene. His loyalty to his friends was too strong. He was too young, too insecure. It was inevitable that he would realise afterwards that he could have acted and possibly prevented the rape.

Haunted by feelings of guilt, he contacted the girl a few days later. When he begged her to forgive him for his cowardice and passivity, she told him bitterly that she could not accept his explanations. 'I shall never forgive you,' she said, gritting her teeth.

That was one of the worst memories Stieg told me about. It was obvious, looking at him, that the girl's voice still echoed in his ears, even after he had written three novels about vulnerable, violated and raped women.

It was probably not his intention to be forgiven after writing the books, but when you read them it is possible to detect the driving force behind them.

As a result, the women in his novels have minds of their own and go their own ways. They fight. They resist. Just as he wished all women would do in the real world.

For three years, I have been trying to trace the identity of this girl and the boys who raped her but I have been unable to find any of them. I have contacted old friends of Stieg's and searched through public records but the trail has run cold. It seems as if one of the most disturbing but tantalising incidents of Stieg's life will for ever remain a mystery.

Driven to success: Author Stieg Larsson, pictured in the 1970s

There were two other events that shocked Stieg deeply, as well as inspiring his writing. In the mid-Eighties, Stieg got to know a European anti-racist with an invaluable knowledge of Rightwing extremism in Europe. A few years later, Stieg heard that this man had beaten his partner repeatedly. Stieg dropped the man. 'Up north, where I come from,' he used to say, 'you never forgive anybody for anything.'

Another man, among the best researchers and computer experts in Sweden, had been working at Expo for some time. It soon transpired that the young man had been reported to police for assault. Stieg felt let down.

I am quite certain that this researcher is linked with Lisbeth Salander's abilities. The researcher was forced to leave Expo in 1997 - the year when Stieg wrote his first chapter about Lisbeth Salander. Stieg dealt with his sorrow and disappointment by creating a character similar to the researcher.

One summer's day in 2009 I bumped into that researcher. I shall never forget the first thing he said: 'Stieg got his revenge in his own way. I am Lisbeth Salander as far as her computer expertise is concerned. And we are both thin and don't weigh enough! But I will always love Stieg. It's an honour to be a model for Salander.'

There is a rumour suggesting that Stieg also wrote crime stories in the mid-Nineties but destroyed them. Is it true? Yes and no.

The fact is that he did indeed write crime stories in that period but it was more a case of him writing to relax and have fun. You could call those early stories practice-crime novels. He told me they were utterly worthless.

How many books would Stieg have written if he had lived longer? I once heard him say quite specifically in a smoke-filled room at the Expo offices: 'I have ten books in my head.'

By 2003, I had decided to close down Black And White, although Expo restarted as an independent magazine. My health had deteriorated steadily during the previous year - it sometimes felt as if I had spent more time in hospital than in my office.

'We are not 20-year-olds any more,' I told Stieg. 'Both you and I must start thinking about our health.' He nodded, but sadly that was a subject in which he had no interest at all. A year later he died, aged 50, from a heart attack.

After Stieg's death, his partner Eva gave me as a keepsake - the black and white tie he had worn on the last day of his life. He should be close by, I thought, but he felt so dreadfully far away.

Six years on, Stieg's global success has changed my life. I am often invited to lecture about him throughout Europe. It feels almost as if, in a most bizarre fashion, I have become an ambassador for Stieg. But I do it willingly and am happy to have him in my orbit in this way.

It's not how I would have wanted things to turn out: I would have preferred to continue sitting in our basement offices with my friend, and to carry on producing a magazine on a less than adequate budget.

However, I can't turn back the clock: Stieg has left my life as a living person. Every time I meet somebody who has become a little happier after having read one of his novels, though, I also become a little happier. In that way he is always present. And it is a presence nobody can take away from me.

We don't want any of Stieg's millions, says his father

By CLAUDIA JOESPEH IN UMEA, SWEDEN

Just months after Stieg Larsson's death, his father Erland and younger brother Joakim became embroiled in a bitter feud with the author's partner, Eva Gabrielsson.

At the heart of the dispute are the rights to Larsson's multimillion-pound fortune. With rumours of an unpublished fourth manuscript and a Hollywood version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo under way, the Larsson literary juggernaut shows no sign of slowing down.

Although Eva and Stieg had been together their entire adult lives, she was not entitled to his money as they were not married and he had not left a will.

Still grieving: Erland and Joakim Larsson, father and younger brother of the late Stieg Larsson

Eva accused Larsson's father and brother of leaving her penniless and refusing to let her have any control over his estate. She also claimed Larsson was estranged from his family, that Erland and Joakim shared none of his political beliefs and that they refused to hand over the manuscript to his fourth book - despite having no legal rights to it.

Now, after maintaining a dignified silence for six years, father and son have decided to tell their side of the story.

Both still live modestly in the village of Umea, 90 miles north of Stockholm, where Stieg grew up. Naturally discreet, they have found it difficult to be thrust into the celebrity spotlight.

Erland, 74, told The Mail on Sunday: 'Losing your son is one of the hardest things you can face, yet after Stieg died everybody concentrated on Eva's sorrow, as if we didn't exist. She became the victim and we were the enemy. Yet I wanted to die myself. I would walk down the street and just want to fall over and disappear. It was a terrible time. It still is.'

Speaking at a simple office, Erland describes Eva as 'angry'. 'Her sister once said to me, "Eva was born angry." In every job she has made an enemy. She even fell out with her father.'

Joakim, a former accountant at Ernst & Young, says Eva has painted a false picture of him and his father. 'Eva claimed that she had not inherited any money from Stieg's estate,' he says, 'but she got his life insurance policy, which was worth £18,000.

'After Stieg died, I called the Probate Department to find out whether we could pass our inheritance straight to Eva but we were told we could not refuse the money. However, they told us we could gift the money to Eva, which we did. She has got their apartment, the furniture and the money in his bank accounts. I think she got around £130,000. My father and I even paid the taxes for her. The only thing she hasn't got is the books and we haven't had a single penny from them. We have never even seen his fourth book.

'I have no idea where it is now.

'Eva wanted to hire somebody to finish it but we don't want to publish it as we don't want anybody else to write in Stieg's style. We would just like to read it.

'In fact, we don't have anything belonging to Stieg. After his funeral, Eva promised to send us some photographs but she never did. She sent just two things: a box in which my grandmother kept her knitting needles and a metal ashtray belonging to my grandfather.'

Showstopper: There is set to be a Hollywood remake of the film that was first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Erland and Joakim insist they have not benefited personally from Stieg's estate. Instead they set up a company, Mogglidden, to manage the millions.

Since Christmas, when Joakim left his job, he says he has paid himself a modest salary of £26,000 a year as a company director. The remainder of the money is being donated to causes close to Larsson's heart, including the International Federation of Journalists, the Red Cross and £500,000 to Expo, the Left-wing magazine he helped set up.

'People don't realise that we haven't taken any of Stieg's money,' Joakim says. 'It is all in the company. I take a small salary, we pay for our office, and we are giving away the money to causes that mattered to Stieg. My father hasn't taken a single penny.

'We offered Eva £1.7million after tax for her own needs and a role in the company, helping us decide what to do with the money, but she has turned us down.

'We thought it was a generous offer for her to have a good life - nobody needs that kind of money - but we have been criticised for not offering enough. People don't realise the tax implications are huge. It would cost £;50million - half of Stieg's literary estate - to give her £20million.

Eva has said she and Larsson didn't marry because a marriage certificate - a public document - would have made it easier for extremists opposed to Expo to trace them. But Erland finds this hard to believe.

'I was always telling my boys to get married but Stieg just laughed,' he says. 'He said it was bourgeois nonsense. He was happy the way things were. I think he would have loved to have children but Eva didn't because she had a difficult childhood.

'I remember Stieg coming to Umea the year before he died and I talked to him about writing a will. He got irritated and said he had done everything necessary.'

The family also disputes Eva's claims that they were estranged. 'Every time I was in Stockholm, we would meet up for an hour or two,' says Erland. 'He always made himself free to socialise.

'I often spent a few days with him at their apartment. He was always anxious to see me.

'He would come back every summer for a few weeks with two bags - one full of crime novels for me and his mother, the other with a few clothes.'

Joakim adds: 'I read in one newspaper that Eva says the first time I visited Stieg's home was after the funeral but that's not true. We talked on the phone, emailed and met up for coffee in Stockholm or in Umea. I even stayed at their flat.'

Two years before Larsson's death, he gave his family a copy of the manuscript of his debut novel.

'When he told me that he had written a thriller, I was disappointed,' laughs Erland.

'I saw him writing children's books. I told him there was too much sex in the first book and he said, "Oh, Dad. Sex sells."'

Joakim adds: 'He told me he had based some of the character of Lisbeth Salander on my daughter Therese, who has a rose tattoo. She also had anorexia when she was younger. They exchanged hundreds of emails and Stieg questioned her about her illness and how she felt as a teenager.'

When Larsson died in 2004, he was living apart from Eva. She had moved to Falun, 150 miles from Stockholm, to work as an architect. It was not the first time they had separated.

Joakim remembers the day he got the call saying Stieg had collapsed. 'I had just got home from work and my father called, asking me to fly to Stockholm with him. I am a diabetic and I needed to eat, so I said I would follow him. Then the call came to say that Stieg was dead. I felt terrible that I wasn't with my father at the time. He didn't find out until he got to the hospital.'

Two-and-a-half years later, Joakim suffered another loss when his wife May died of cancer. 'I don't know how I've coped,' he admits. 'It's difficult but I have kids so I have to carry on.

'After Stieg's death, I talked to a psychologist, who told me that when somebody dies, you have different stages of grief. The first is denial, the second is anger, the third is grief and the fourth is acceptance. I have learnt how to accept my losses but I believe Eva is still stuck in the anger stage.

'She has told a lot of lies so that people feel sorry for her. Now she can't back down and say she was lying. She wanted to be a victim and struggled hard to be a victim but it is not the truth.

This feud is so unnecessary. I'm sure Stieg would be upset by it, although, on the other hand, he loved intrigues like this. Maybe he is laughing about it somewhere.'
ImageImage
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Laredo wrote:I think just casting is in LA .Exteriors in Sweden . Interiors ?

I have the movie waiting at the library for me .
I've read that exteriors will be shot in Stockholm and Uppsala and interiors back in LA.
calypso

Post by calypso »

ystar007 Just read that Daniel Craig will be doing the screentest
of the ''Tattoo'' role this week. The screentest will include makeup, wardrobe

20 minutes ago via Echofon
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO UPDATES
4) The American remake has recently been tapped for a definite R-rated version, staying true to the unorthodox and graphic visualization of the Steig Larsson's novel.
http://greenteamovie.blogspot.com/2010/ ... .html#more

Good they have the guts to do that and rather loose some money due to this R-rating, but don't water it down. :thumbup:

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

cornell01 wrote:JEC and GG - thank you for the well-thought out observations. I value your opinions.
Thank you, Cornell. Much appreciated.. :D

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

cornell01 wrote:Fincher has DC reading with the actresses because part of the movie's success depends on onscreen chemistry.

Going back to Hotel Splendide or even Love is the Devil, who has had the best onscreen chemistry with DC? the worst?

I don't think either of the Bond movies spends enough time on the Bond-Bond girl interaction to create real chemistry.
cornell01 wrote:Uh-oh. I forgot Ice House. Moll Flanders.
Daniel is a chameleon, his own personal chemistry changes I think, depending on the story and the skin he puts on in order to be the character he is playing. The rapport with Moll is far different to the rapport with Vesper for example - and I do agree with your comments about the lack of chemistry in the Bond movies.

I've only just started reading the Dragon books (not books I would normally read, I have to say), but based on the reviews and opinions of others and what I've read so far, if I had to pick a previous on-screen relationship as a guide to what we might expect, then I think Ice House would be a good one.

Anne Catrell seems to have some basic things in common with Lisbeth and there is an antagonism with Andy which is interesting, it drives the story. And there is no doubt that Anne is far more vulnerable that she would ever admit, so it's not like she is an unyielding toughie.

The most heart-rending chemistry for me is LITD. I simply could not "see the join" between George breaking his heart and Daniel breaking his own heart on screen, on George's behalf. I think The Mother deserves a mention too though. The thing in common for both of them is the quality of the other actor, Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid are top-drawer.

If I had to pick the worst chemistry? Apologies to CR addicts, but for me it would be Vesper. The antagonism, the attraction, the passion, the love, none of it rang true for me. It lacked depth.

I don't mean it as any slight against either Daniel or Eva Green who is a fine actress. I think the whole relationship was tainted slightly by the shadow of the history of Bond. They tried to make it new, but keep some of the faint echoes of the previous play-boy character, as though Daniel's Bond was the play-boy in embryo, but what it did (for me) was make Bond look sexually palid. His action with Solange sizzled, with Vesper it barely broke a splutter.

I can't wait for Tattoo, especially as it will an 18 (or R) rating, can't wait to see where Daniel will go with this. It's the first movie of his for a long while that could have been (in another time and place) an "arthouse" movie a la LITD. Can't wait!!
calypso wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rape.html

How a brutal rape and a lifelong burden of guilt fuelled Girl with the Dragon Tattoo writer Stieg Larsson

By Kurdo Baski
These articles are wonderful Cal......wonderful find!!

For me the author's own story is more interesting than the premise of the books. I wonder if someone, sometime, will make a film of his life. It's a story worthy of a good film.