THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

caramel

Post by caramel »

Gg, I can understand your concerns but I can't agree with them, particularly about his career going downhill.
Each movie of his has led to another one. If things after QoS were bad, how come he landed these recent ones? I don't know about C&A but I doubt they saw his Bond and gave him the MB role.
Germangirl wrote: I remember a recent interview, where they asked about Indie films etc and if he wants to do them again. His answer was "I might have to" - which to me indicates, that this in NOT, what he really wants to be FORCED to do, because other roles are not available anymore to him. He enjoys too much the atmosphere on big sets, the option of using just the best people and material available, to elaborate on trying to make it the best film possible because all of above plus enough money is available. He is spoiled now and going back would be hard, if out of necessity.
When he said this I saw it as self-deprecation which he does quite a bit.
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

Everyone's opinions is so well stated. A lot of thought has been put into your comments.
At the end of the day we only see what is on the surface.
We think we know about a person but it's only a collection of information and speculation.
People go to the movies for a day or evening of entertainment and leave the real world at the door when they enter the theater.
10 people walk into a multiplex, 6 different movies are playing, how many are going to see the same movie?
We have choices in life and that is what makes the world go round.
I rest my case.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Life is about good choices, poor choices, highs and lows. We watch this man so myopically, we feel every bump on the road on his behalf, whether it was a bit of grit or a pot hole. Personally, I think he's bumping along just fine. :lol:
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

bumblebee wrote:Life is about good choices, poor choices, highs and lows. We watch this man so myopically, we feel every bump on the road on his behalf, whether it was a bit of grit or a pot hole. Personally, I think he's bumping along just fine. :lol:
Image :thumbup:
calypso

Post by calypso »

tbossmc2000 wrote:
bumblebee wrote:Life is about good choices, poor choices, highs and lows. We watch this man so myopically, we feel every bump on the road on his behalf, whether it was a bit of grit or a pot hole. Personally, I think he's bumping along just fine. :lol:
Image :thumbup:
:stick_iagree:

He brave actor and with that territory comez risk, is what is admirAble, he great to work with and roles will always be there, it depends if he wants them yes? One thing about daniel he keeps us guessing and he not boring like many others. Of coursr he may scratch head some about his career but in end, he stands by his choices and movrs on and upwards
ImageImage
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Good point Mrs B. if we didn't care, we would not be having these conversations.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

America reports film attendance at 16-year low

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... r-low.html
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

bumblebee wrote:America reports film attendance at 16-year low

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... r-low.html
I was talking to a friend on the phone eariler today. Interesting point, Hollywood or rather movie makers are scratching their heads looking for the next big thing. Some of the Twilight flame is dimming, Harry Potter is coming to a conculsion. Remakes and sequiles are wearing out, childrens movies, well what can I say about those. What is the next big thing?
Possibly Hunger Games, Batman, Avengers. Then after that who knows what.
caramel

Post by caramel »

Commentary: Graphic scene in 'Dragon Tattoo' a justifiable exploration of rape's horror

A vile creep manacles a young woman to the bed and rapes her so violently she can barely walk afterward. The camera unflinchingly captures much of the brutal violation -- her struggles to get away, his obese body forcing himself atop her, her piercing wail.

We watch. Some of us turn away and close our eyes.

The graphic, harrowing attack appears in -- of all things -- a major holiday film release, the R-rated mystery "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," based on the lurid but immensely popular first novel in the best-selling trilogy.

For many moviegoers, the explicit scene is an endurance test, as excruciating to soldier through as when James Franco used a blunt pocket knife to hack away at the gristle and bone of his own pinned arm in "127 Hours."

And like many rape sequences, the one in "Dragon" -- along with another violent scene depicting the savage justice the lead character Lisbeth Salander exacts on her odious attacker and an earlier one in which he demands oral sex -- will surely offend some. But it will also be viewed as necessary by others and perhaps even leave a few perplexed that someone might blast the filmmaker for having shown way too much.

That these provocative sequences can trigger such a potent and varied response is no surprise. Rape scenes in movies, including the assault on Dakota Fanning's character in 2009's "Hounddog" and the notorious nine-minute one in the 2002 French import "Irreversible," set off a firestorm of controversy and outraged many. (Although much was written about those films, American audiences made sure to avoid both. "Hounddog," in particular, was resoundingly panned by most critics; the art-house film "Irreversible" has some supporters.)

But "Dragon" is different. It's packaged as entertainment and is a major Hollywood release. It also is one of the year's better-reviewed films. (I, too, gave it a glowing review.)

Word that "Dragon" so graphically depicts the harrowing rape of the Lisbeth Salander character (played by "The Social Network's" Mara Rooney) has made a couple people I know reconsider whether they'll even see it. And that's entirely understandable.

The question, then, is: Did the Oscar-nominated director David Fincher really need to make that attack so viciously explicit? I say yes, with qualifiers. Considering the source material and the dark vision he and the late author Stieg Larsson have strategically set forth, that scene sticks true to the story's disturbing themes and provides crucial insight into Salander, the film's fascinating and whip-smart central character.

Did it bother me -- someone who's a confirmed horror film buff? Of course! As well it should.

Rape is a despicable, repugnant act of violence, and both Fincher's film and the excellent 2009 Swedish version are right to portray it in all its horror. It is entirely debatable whether that scene could have been shortened and accomplished the same goal. But remember, you could say the same about extreme violent content in other films. This is Fincher's grim vision, and I'd hate to see someone go in and splice up "The Departed," "Saving Private Ryan" or "Pulp Fiction" because they show scenes that are hard for many of us to watch.

There's no denying that Salander's rape and her retaliation are essential plot developments that further the story and make us better understand why she is so fierce and so feral around others. With her Mohawk, piercings and cut-to-the-bone glare, the computer hacker is an unforgettable force and presence. She's also a true survivor -- one of the strongest and most compelling female characters to come around in years.

But reading about the awfulness perpetrated on her in a book and watching it transpire on screen are entirely different experiences. Films -- especially ones that depict acts of violence -- have the power to burnish images into our subconscious forever. Books undeniably create powerful visions in our imagination, but there's a more visceral jab to the senses when packaged visuals come at us on screen.

Still, just like books, movies deserve freedom, and should not shy away from provocative or controversial subject matter. Fincher certainly never has. Just watch "Fight Club" or "Se7en."

Rape scenes don't always need to be graphic to be disturbing. Some recent films have evoked the horror in less explicit ways, including "Precious: Based on the Novel Push By Sapphire" (incest) and "Martha Macy May Marlene" (in which the head of a cult sneaks into bed and rapes a young woman while she sleeps), to name a few. They're quieter films with different tones, and the filmmakers did what made artistic sense in context and tone.

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is a different kind of movie. It is first and foremost a genre picture -- a compelling thriller about moral and societal corruption, along with other thought-provoking issues. One of its overriding themes explores the evil that men can do to women -- a deeply personal topic for the late Larsson, who reportedly witnessed a gang rape when he was a teenager.

That's exactly why "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" must disturb us. It must make us uncomfortable and must make us squirm in our seats. Because when it does, we're forced to face of one of the world's evils in all its gut-wrenching horror.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19632678
caramel

Post by caramel »

‘Girl With the Dragon Tattoo’s’ low box-office take leaves future of sequels a mystery
R rating, crowded field hurt thriller, but post-holiday business may grow

How exactly to judge "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo's" disappointing box-office start — and what it means for the prospects of filming the next two installments in the "Millenium" trilogy — is a mystery worthy of one of Stieg Larsson's thrillers.

On the surface, it appears to be a case of a high-profile murder at the multiplex, where David Fincher's film finished with $19.4 million over the four-day holiday weekend — a distant fourth behind "Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol," "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" and "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked."

Considering all the traditional and social media buzz over Rooney Mara's Oscar-worthy performance as the heavily pierced and emotionally damaged heroine Lisbeth Salander leading up to the film's release last Tuesday, those numbers are a disappointment.

“You think it would be a presold property, but there is just so much competition for the intelligent moviegoing audience out there,” says Anne Thompson, lead blogger and editor of the “Thompson on Hollywood” blog. “What it does suggest is that there was no need to bring this out during Christmas because it's neither an Oscar contender nor a family-friendly movie.

“Honestly, this film would have been better off if they waited until February.”

Despite the circumstantial evidence, though, it may be premature to bury "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo."

"This is the week that adults come out and that's not necessarily the movie the people would have seen over Christmas," says Nikki Finke, founder and editor in chief of Deadline.com. "But from today all the way through next Monday is the adult time at movies and there isn't that much out for adults, with the exception of smaller movies like 'The Descendants.’ "

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... z1hrw8iriz
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Had Lisbeth not gone back to do what she did to the fat man, I would have walked away shaken. As a woman, I got great satisfaction to see her get vengeance. I would like to think I could do the same thing. I can't imagine getting raped, but if I did, just call me Lisbeth II :twisted:
calypso

Post by calypso »

sf2la wrote:Had Lisbeth not gone back to do what she did to the fat man, I would have walked away shaken. As a woman, I got great satisfaction to see her get vengeance. I would like to think I could do the same thing. I can't imagine getting raped, but if I did, just call me Lisbeth II :twisted:
Si when that scene came on woman in cinema said ” you go girl”
ImageImage
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

calypso wrote:
sf2la wrote:Had Lisbeth not gone back to do what she did to the fat man, I would have walked away shaken. As a woman, I got great satisfaction to see her get vengeance. I would like to think I could do the same thing. I can't imagine getting raped, but if I did, just call me Lisbeth II :twisted:
:clapclap: :clapclap: :clapclap:

Hopefully this film will inspire women to fight back later if they have to.
cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

sf2la wrote:
calypso wrote:

it showed how clever lisabeth was, she didnt kill him, she used him to get what she wanted. Money and a good report, she took a bad experience and used it to her advantage. I couldnt have been that clever, and I couldnt have tortured him. killed him yes, just keep hitting him on the head with something hard. But couldnt cold blood torture someone, just aint in me at all. Loved the film.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

cheryl1700 wrote:
sf2la wrote:
calypso wrote: Si when that scene came on woman in cinema said ” you go girl”

it showed how clever lisabeth was, she didnt kill him, she used him to get what she wanted. Money and a good report, she took a bad experience and used it to her advantage. I couldnt have been that clever, and I couldnt have tortured him. killed him yes, just keep hitting him on the head with something hard. But couldnt cold blood torture someone, just aint in me at all. Loved the film.
Yep, she was smart, smart, smart. If a man did to me what he did to Lisbeth, I think I could do anything to him and feel no guilt. And I'm a nice person. Really, I am! :wink: