Paper reviews and other reactions

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

JEC57 wrote:
sf2la wrote:I LOVE those tweets! Thanks for posting.
I was thinking he had maybe quit smoking. Tough to do, obviously...today's news had a pic of Michael Douglas smoking a cigarette after his near-fatal bout with throat cancer. Oh well, it's his choice, but maybe he'll quit again for Bond.

I'd love to know where he was with the Carling and cig :sigh: What a beautiful sight that would be...
Is Carling sold in the US? :dunno:

Given the European bun-fest for C&A is about to begin, it would be logical to assume he is back in Europe/UK.
Yeah, it does make sense that he would be back visiting with family and friends before the bun-fest :lol: , but yeah, Carling is available in most stores that sell imported beer, which there are a lot of - at least in the larger cities.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Ohhh... the poster was simply saying 'the first time I met DC, he was....'.

I searched her on twitter, and she's from Scottsdale, AZ. Her twitter profile pic looks to be with H Ford.
http://twitter.com/#!/morganelisab
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Ohhh... the poster was simply saying 'the first time I met DC, he was....'.

I searched her on twitter, and she's from Scottsdale, AZ. Her twitter profile pic looks to be with H Ford.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

sf2la wrote:Ohhh... the poster was simply saying 'the first time I met DC, he was....'.

If you look back on her tweets, she attended the Premiere in San Diego and went to the after party. Lucky girl!
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
sf2la wrote:Ohhh... the poster was simply saying 'the first time I met DC, he was....'.

If you look back on her tweets, she attended the Premiere in San Diego and went to the after party. Lucky girl!
I haven't looked back yet. I wonder what she does for a living or how she got whatever gig she got with the filming.
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Poooh! :evil:

I thought with sightings of him drinking Carlsberg, then he was back with us in Europe.

Still, he has to be here soon anyway, if he is not here already. Berlin at the weekend! :mrgreen:
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

JEC57 wrote:Poooh! :evil:

I thought with sightings of him drinking Carlsberg, then he was back with us in Europe.

Still, he has to be here soon anyway, if he is not here already. Berlin at the weekend! :mrgreen:
Berlin this weekend? It's before the London premiere on the 11th?
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

sf2la wrote:

He's got the Locarno Film Festival in Switzerland first on the 6th.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
sf2la wrote:

what what what, Berlin? Did I miss something? aaaah, tell meeee :wink:
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Hannah wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:
sf2la wrote: Berlin this weekend? It's before the London premiere on the 11th?
what what what, Berlin? Did I miss something? aaaah, tell meeee :wink:

okay, I googled it myself, hehe. the premiere is on the 8th, maybe I'll go there, don't have to work on Monday :)
cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

Recieved an email today from mark boardman if anyone is interested in attending london premiere on the 11th august there are tickets still available. Dont know anything else about it.

Hi Everyone,

Quick update:

We now have a batch of film premiere tickets for next Thursday's London film premiere 'Cowboys and Aliens' starring Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford for sale, Email premieretickets@markmeets.co for prices/details.
All the latest film premieres have just been updated on our site today (We list more than oneone else)!

Justin Timberlake, Mila Kunis, Jessie J & The Inbetweeners are tonights guests on Chattyman C4 9.30pm! Sadly it;s the last show in the current series.

Justin Bieber "Someday" Perfume is exclusively availabel from today in Harrods.

The below Entertainment headlines are taken from http://www.markmeets.com

Celebrity Big Brother starts 9pm on Thursday 18th August, Jedward & Pamela Anderson alongside many more stars are confirmed!

X factor is starts on Sat 20th August, See The first X factor promo photos of the judges are released http://bit.ly/XFactorPromoPhotos

Joe Jonas joins Britney Spears on 2011 European tour! http://www.markboardman.moonfruit.com/# ... 4554008182

Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer present the brand new of the comedy quiz show 'Shooting Stars' Monday night BBC2 at 10pm

Regards

Mark Boardman and the web team
chocolatecake

Post by chocolatecake »

I was thinking he had maybe quit smoking. Tough to do, obviously...today's news had a pic of Michael Douglas smoking a cigarette after his near-fatal bout with throat cancer. Oh well, it's his choice, but maybe he'll quit again for Bond.

I'd love to know where he was with the Carling and cig :sigh: What a beautiful sight that would be...

It's very hard. It took me 5 years to quit smoking. :roll:
" 'Is', 'is.' 'is' ? the idiocy of the word haunts me.
If it were abolished, human thought might begin
to make sense. I don't know what anything 'is';
I only know how it seems to me at this moment."

Robert Anton Wilson
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

chocolatecake wrote:

It's very hard. It took me 5 years to quit smoking. :roll:
I'm sure it contributed to my dad's death.
As it turned out, the comment from when he was on the set of C&A. Maybe he's trying to quit now.

One of the reviews I read bashed Daniel's smoking in C&A. The writer acknowledged it was prevalent during those times, but it still glorified smoking. I have to say, Daniel looked very sexy lighting up.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Shield Reviews: Cowboys and Aliens
The Shield Reviews the western Sci-Fi blend-up.
Please be aware that I do my best to not spoil films for readers that haven’t seen the specific film yet, but sometimes, I let too much slip out, so if you haven’t seen this yet, be alert of some spoilers I put in this review. You’ve been warned.
Cowboys and Aliens is one of those films that isn’t made to be great although it was certainly hyped ever since it’s Super Bowl ad, but since the box office results and the critics’ ratings have been disappointing up to this point, as if it wasn’t what you call a “popcorn” movie already, it certainly is now. It’s one of those movies that you can’t take seriously - just expect it to be entertaining at most, but to be honest, it was more than entertaining for me. The critics were way too harsh on this. I didn’t even know what they are talking about. Now the critics weren’t terrible on it, but they certainly could’ve gave it a higher score since it deserved better in my opinion. The movie is flat-out enjoyable. The acting lead by Daniel Craig as Jake Lonergan and Harrison Ford as Colonel Woodrow Dolarhyde are both rock solid in their roles - Craig who is more British, was not at all noticable as his cowboy accent isn’t exactly obvious in the film, but it wasn’t exactly obvious he’s a British man, either. Ford is amazing in every film I’ve seen it seems like. Whether it is Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or this, he never fails to amaze. Olivia Wilde is also good in the film as Ella Swenson, her character was a little odd where she almost seemed like a hitchhiker stalking Lonergan (his name is hilarious - lone-again) and her character’s development was a little shallow, but you can put the blame on the directors and producers of the film for her shallow character development, not Wilde. Wilde isn’t the best in the movie, but she still manages to deliver a very solid performance. Paul Dano is kooky as Ford’s son in the film, Percy - he is nothing special by any means, but he’s a goofy character that brings some humor to the mix. Sam Rockwell is great as Doc while Noah Ringer is excellent as the kid of the cowboys, Emmett Taggart, and Clancy Brown does good as Meacham. The cast is very well-rounded and the flaws aren’t too high other than Ella’s development, but that’s not Wilde’s wrongdoing.

The action is pretty cool and the sci-fi special effects are awesome. Whether it’s the alien dock or the aliens themselves to Lonergan’s mysterious weapon on his arm’s technology-created blaster is also cool and kind of brings back memories of the Star Wars days. The movie can be pretty intense at times and the action is at times relentless including a epic final battle between the cowboys and the aliens for the battle of peace. The movie is directed by Jon Favreau who did the Iron Man films and executive producers/producers included Ron Howard and yes, Steven Spielberg. The movie seems to be a mix of three movies: any old western film, Star Wars, and Super 8 with a slight taste of Indiana Jones in it, as well.

For me, I thought the movie was underrated considering the harsh box office results and critics ratings, and I think the movie deserves more than it was given. I loved it and think it receives a 4.5/5.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=43828
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Shield Reviews: Cowboys and Aliens
The Shield Reviews the western Sci-Fi blend-up.
Please be aware that I do my best to not spoil films for readers that haven’t seen the specific film yet, but sometimes, I let too much slip out, so if you haven’t seen this yet, be alert of some spoilers I put in this review. You’ve been warned.
Cowboys and Aliens is one of those films that isn’t made to be great although it was certainly hyped ever since it’s Super Bowl ad, but since the box office results and the critics’ ratings have been disappointing up to this point, as if it wasn’t what you call a “popcorn” movie already, it certainly is now. It’s one of those movies that you can’t take seriously - just expect it to be entertaining at most, but to be honest, it was more than entertaining for me. The critics were way too harsh on this. I didn’t even know what they are talking about. Now the critics weren’t terrible on it, but they certainly could’ve gave it a higher score since it deserved better in my opinion. The movie is flat-out enjoyable. The acting lead by Daniel Craig as Jake Lonergan and Harrison Ford as Colonel Woodrow Dolarhyde are both rock solid in their roles - Craig who is more British, was not at all noticable as his cowboy accent isn’t exactly obvious in the film, but it wasn’t exactly obvious he’s a British man, either. Ford is amazing in every film I’ve seen it seems like. Whether it is Indiana Jones, Star Wars, or this, he never fails to amaze. Olivia Wilde is also good in the film as Ella Swenson, her character was a little odd where she almost seemed like a hitchhiker stalking Lonergan (his name is hilarious - lone-again) and her character’s development was a little shallow, but you can put the blame on the directors and producers of the film for her shallow character development, not Wilde. Wilde isn’t the best in the movie, but she still manages to deliver a very solid performance. Paul Dano is kooky as Ford’s son in the film, Percy - he is nothing special by any means, but he’s a goofy character that brings some humor to the mix. Sam Rockwell is great as Doc while Noah Ringer is excellent as the kid of the cowboys, Emmett Taggart, and Clancy Brown does good as Meacham. The cast is very well-rounded and the flaws aren’t too high other than Ella’s development, but that’s not Wilde’s wrongdoing.

The action is pretty cool and the sci-fi special effects are awesome. Whether it’s the alien dock or the aliens themselves to Lonergan’s mysterious weapon on his arm’s technology-created blaster is also cool and kind of brings back memories of the Star Wars days. The movie can be pretty intense at times and the action is at times relentless including a epic final battle between the cowboys and the aliens for the battle of peace. The movie is directed by Jon Favreau who did the Iron Man films and executive producers/producers included Ron Howard and yes, Steven Spielberg. The movie seems to be a mix of three movies: any old western film, Star Wars, and Super 8 with a slight taste of Indiana Jones in it, as well.

For me, I thought the movie was underrated considering the harsh box office results and critics ratings, and I think the movie deserves more than it was given. I loved it and think it receives a 4.5/5.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=43828
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..