Betrayal - Bye, Bye...

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Maybelline wrote:
Germangirl wrote: But still - why this actor? There are surely equally talented ones out there, who fit the bill better.
Maybe it was difficult to find someone who is okay with it to play the second fiddle in regard to the attention (press, audience, fans etc.). I also bet he isn't too expensive. Never heard before the announcement of Rafe Spall.
Yes, but I would rather think, that playing opposite DC is a huge chance for someone, who is not exposed just yet. If we watch the film, Jeremy Irons looked a lot younger then Ben as well.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Thanks to A!

http://blog.applause-tickets.com/2013/0 ... adway.html

if you go the website, there are no tickets at sale ....

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

To pick up the conversation from above thread - I don't think, someone has to look unatractive to have an astrayed wife. There are so many reasons for couples to split or cheat o9n each other. I think, looks is not on top of the list. So - he can look his normal self , if he wanted to and the story would be as plausible IMO.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

Germangirl wrote:To pick up the conversation from above thread - I don't think, someone has to look unatractive to have an astrayed wife. There are so many reasons for couples to split or cheat o9n each other. I think, looks is not on top of the list. So - he can look his normal self , if he wanted to and the story would be as plausible IMO.
I understand that, we know how he is, who knows what he will look like.
Tickets: back when ASP was in the works, tickets went on sale mid June for the start in Sept. So I think we have a while before we see tickets avaliable.
I wonder if htey will do the America Express pre sale again like with ASP?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I know, what you mean. He has a tendency to ugly himself up at times. Lets hope and pray...

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Sun, 28 April 2013 at 3:00 pm
Tom Hiddleston & James McAvoy - Olivier Awards 2013 Red Carpet

Tom Hiddleston suits up on the red carpet at the 2013 Olivier Awards held at the Royal Opera House on Sunday (April 28) in London, England.

The 32-year-old actor was joined at the show by James McAvoy with his wife Anne Marie Duff, and Rafe Spall with his wife Elize du Toit.

Both James and Rafe are up for the Best Actor in a Play Award! James is up for his work in the William Shakespeare play Macbeth and Rafe for his part in Constellations.

http://www.royalcourttheatre.com/whats- ... tellations

So, as usual, Daniel was not afraid to get someone, who might give him a run for his money, if the role is jucier than his.

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:Sun, 28 April 2013 at 3:00 pm

Tom Hiddleston suits up on the red carpet at the 2013 Olivier Awards held at the Royal Opera House on Sunday (April 28) in London, England.

The 32-year-old actor was joined at the show by James McAvoy with his wife Anne Marie Duff, and Rafe Spall with his wife Elize du Toit.

Both James and Rafe are up for the Best Actor in a Play Award! James is up for his work in the William Shakespeare play Macbeth and Rafe for his part in Constellations.

http://www.royalcourttheatre.com/whats- ... tellations

So, as usual, Daniel was not afraid to get someone, who might give him a run for his money, if the role is jucier than his.

He didn't win I'm afraid. It went to Luke treadaway.
tampa

Post by tampa »

[quote="Germangirl"]Sun, 28 April 2013 at 3:00 pm

T he 32-year-old actor was joined at the show by James McAvoy with his wife Anne Marie Duff, and Rafe Spall with his wife Elize du Toit.

So, as usual, Daniel was not afraid to get someone, who might give him a run for his money, if the role is jucier than his.[/quote]

But that's why I hate to see him do this play. Why isn't he exploiting the huge success of Skyfall to land a great film or two in which HE is the star and where HE is getting the the great role. Every day, he is losing more ground to younger stars fighting over very few great roles for actors. I hate to see him simply supporting RW and this guy. He deserves far better. I just suspect that there is something about the role that reflects RW's own life as I think she chose this play. Am pretty sure I read that the husband was the first to stray and the female lead loves and hates both of these men. It is a meaty role for her. Not so much for DC.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

He's in love. I think that explains it all. I suspect he gives it 110%. He has said that a relationship needs nourishment every day. Pretty romantic for a man to say. He's done Broadway in a big way. RW obviously desires to do the same - she's said it. They are a refreshing celebrity couple, but it sucks for us.
tampa

Post by tampa »

sf2la wrote:He's in love. I think that explains it all. I suspect he gives it 110%. He has said that a relationship needs nourishment every day. Pretty romantic for a man to say. He's done Broadway in a big way. RW obviously desires to do the same - she's said it. They are a refreshing celebrity couple, but it sucks for us.
You're right. That it explains it all.
caramel

Post by caramel »

The popular opinion here seems to be that Daniel is doing this play while giving up his movie roles just to support his wife's dream. Well that doesn't mean its true.
Maybe he was dying to get back into that theater acting mode. Maybe he needed that adrenaline rush.
Yes Rachel did speak out about wanting to do Broadway but that is no way a concrete evidence of Daniel just doing it to "please" her.
The fact of the matter could be (as per an article that was posted here) they both wanted to do something together. Its a combination of getting the right project/director etc. They got it.

Not meant towards anyone in particular here -

Why should we infantalize Daniel ? He knows what he is doing and knows about getting his way.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I don't think that he doesn't want to do it - just the opposite. I feel (and of course this is just my opinion) that the idea would never have surfaced if Rachel didn't really want it. She wants Broadway under her belt. I do think he is doing it for her, but of course it's a good gig for him as well. He knows what he's getting into, and the play isn't a gamble like ASR was. That could have tanked the first night. He can do nothing or everything with his career right now, so I assume he's doing exactly as he pleases.
Last edited by sf2la on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

He has done huge movies (in amount of time (TGwtDT, Skyfall), buget (TGwtDT, Skyfall, Tintin) and names (all of them) attached) in the last years. Skyfall aside, they didn't turn out the way everybody was hoping.

With the next Bond hopfully starting next year my guess is, he simply wants a break, a break not only from filming, but from the whole hullabaloo coming from this (press junket, endless flying around the world for promotion and photoschoots etc).
This and the possibility to do something he loves (pure acting) and on top of it, to do it with his wife, was most likely very attractive to him.

The argument that other actors/movie stars do big movies back to back is not relevant, because he is not like other actors/movie stars. If he were, he would have milked the Skyfall success BIG time.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

To add my two, even though I probably repeat myself.

Agree with Tampa, that I am not happy, that he didn't ride on the success of SF to stay in first row with roles. MM was perfect for that. Until the next film with him comes out, his momentum has passed - but maybe he will create a new one. We do know, that he is at difficult terms with his own career and maybe SF's success scared the hell out of him and what it could mean. He is a man, who has problems dealing with success and glory etc. He is a man, who wants to act in film and make them good and give his all, but could do without everything else. Of course, he knows, one goes hand in hand with the other and has dealed with that, but that doesn't mean, it doesn't strain him more then others and he is just done with it for the time being. Not going anywhere public shows that to me.
@sf - I don't see the Met Ball on the horizon either. Hope I am wrong.

Agree with C., that I don't believe, its so much more Rachels vehicle then his. I remember reading or hearing him say or both, that he was looking for a play to do. He could have done both - MM and Betrayal. As much as I would have liked him to do MM, I don't believe, that he abandoned anything for her, that meant a lot to him, IF at all.

Agree with Dunda or rather repeat myself here - he needed a rest from all the fanfare and probably realized that doing MM AND Betrayal would give him only about 2 months off in between and would mean double PR in November/December.

IMO, he needed this rest for his own sanity. Will it hurt his career? Lets say, its a big chance missed out, but you have to make choices in life.

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

caramel wrote:The popular opinion here seems to be that Daniel is doing this play while giving up his movie roles just to support his wife's dream. [...]
Thank you :blowkiss:

If Rachel wants to do a Broadway play she doesn't need Daniel's help to get a job. She did already Off-Broadway with "The Shape of Things" and she won a Lawrence Olivier Award for Best Actress (beating Helen Mirren). It's not like she is new in the theatre scene.