Betrayal - Bye, Bye...

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

From Germany

Here they say, a visitor and her friend found it great, just not long enough.

http://www.klatsch-tratsch.de/2013/10/0 ... ert/179770

From a JJ comment
Tilda @ 10/02/2013 at 4:41 am

I heard the show was pretty awesome. Not surprised. They’re talented in some ways.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Like sf said, Mike Nichols was in the audience last night with his wife Diane Sawyer. He would have picked up any negatives. Lets hope he can do something constructive with it.
Not much of a reaction on twitter, some say it was well acted and others say it was a underwhelming.
Hopefully they can and will improve on their first night performances.
Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

i'm confused. This has or hasn't opened? Where are the proper reviews?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

During the previews, there are no reviews. Its giving them time to sorten tings out. Its the usual thing. They open on 20 someting Oct. THEN the reviews will come.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Sylvia's girl wrote:Like sf said, Mike Nichols was in the audience last night with his wife Diane Sawyer. He would have picked up any negatives. Lets hope he can do something constructive with it.
Not much of a reaction on twitter, some say it was well acted and others say it was a underwhelming.
I am reading the tweets, but all I get are the links for the headlines and reports. I am confused.

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:During the previews, there are no reviews. Its giving them time to sorten tings out. Its the usual thing. They open on 20 someting Oct. THEN the reviews will come.
It opens in Oct 27, so no professional reviews until after that showing.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

About not being that many tweets - give them time. Its still very early in the morning for them.

I am reading these
https://twitter.com/search?q=Daniel%20Craig

and these
https://twitter.com/search?q=betrayal%2 ... y&src=tyah
Are there any other you have, Sylvia? I don't see ANY comments about how it was.

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:Like sf said, Mike Nichols was in the audience last night with his wife Diane Sawyer. He would have picked up any negatives. Lets hope he can do something constructive with it.
I am reading the tweets, but all I get are the links for the headlines and reports. I am confused.
here's a couple...

Matthew Lumby ‏@MatthewLumby 6h
@ByKennethJones Ouch. Well, whisper it quietly, but the preview audience at Betrayal tonight seemed to be a little underwhelmed

Kate Thorman ‏@katethorman 8h
#Betrayal on #Broadway was pretty great. They only slipped up one line from what I could tell. Good first night of previews!
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks, but WHERE are they from? I always seem to miss stuff over there, that you find and I am renewing all the time. :dunno:

I think, the first comment is probably true overall giving what sf has said. Still, they will up their game, I am sure.
I think, the main problem is, that its too short. Audiences feel cheated, not getting their moneys worth. They can work on that, I suppose. Obviously, they did let stuff out. They can bring it in again. Its not impossible to add 15 minutes or so.

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:Thanks, but WHERE are they from? I always seem to miss stuff over there, that you find and I am renewing all the time. :dunno:

I think, the first comment is probably true overall giving what sf has said. Still, they will up their game, I am sure.
I think, the main problem is, that its too short. Audiences feel cheated, not getting their moneys worth. They can work on that, I suppose. Obviously, they did let stuff out. They can bring it in again. Its not impossible to add 15 minutes or so.
It depends on what you type in to twitter search. You can also see who tweeted that they were going to see it and then revisit their twitter page to see if they commented on it. :wink:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

OK thanks. :D
http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebritie ... way-debut/

They headlines and text are all positive though.

tampa

Post by tampa »

These gushy headlines are meaningless. They're written by people who haven't seen the play. What counts are the critics and the views of people who spent big $ to see a play that had his name first in all the advertising and interviews. He is not a lead in this and people who didn't know the script will not be happy. If they put back stuff that was cut to try to make it longer, it is likely RW and Rafe's lines that got cut. The result will just make DC's role seem even smaller. They sold this play as a vehicle for DC. They are now stuck with the perception that they are not delivering on what they advertised.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Of c ourse, they are meanngless, but I thought, its nice to read nevertheless.

IF they listen to what is being said, Daniels role will get bigger. Everything else doesn't make sense. I mean its not, that THEY ( the prods etc.) want a flop. They want a success...big names are involved, like Scot Rudin. He ain't gonna take anything less then a success. They agreed on having Daniel play Robert, so now, they gotta make this damn thing work.

Lets be realistic, yes, but lets not doom it just now either. They have time to work it out.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Another view from Broadwayworld

I thought STEADY RAIN was a fascinating two-hander, and I also thought that Daniel Craig was the more impressive of the two actors. BETRAYAL is hardly a scenery-chewer either, but Craig has the most interesting character (I assume he's playing the husband) and it can be like watching someone turning a knife in your gut when he talks to his wife about finding the letter. It is not a play where you can go and let it wash over you - you have to pay very close attention to what isn't being said. But not everyone's taste....