Betrayal - Bye, Bye...

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

Thanks to SF and everyone else for all the reports ... they kind of make me feel :) and :? at the same time......
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

NextBondGirl wrote:Thanks to SF and everyone else for all the reports ... they kind of make me feel :) and :? at the same time......
:stick_iagree:
I don't really know what to think.
Just wondering aloud here, do you think he hates the whole fame game so much that he's happier taking a back seat. By allowing the attention to be drawn away by Rachel and Rafe he can focus on the acting. I'm upset to think people might be disappointed by his role :(
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I absolutely think you have a point here. I often feel that way about him.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

The day after...lol. I fell asleep texting late and woke up at 11am. All checked out of the hotel, eating lunch in the West Village, gotta get back to the hotel and get to the airport for a 5pm direct flight home. I've read everyone's comments and I agree with all of them. It's complicated. Whether his role is 40% or 60%, it really shouldn't matter. Where it's a bummer is that it's just 84 minutes long. We're huge Daniel fans, so we just want to see him in every scene on screen and stage. But I suppose that's just unrealistic, or not? IDK. One can't blame Daniel for selling out a play before the first preview. It still makes sense that he gets top billing.

K had said long ago that she didn't like Pinter or the story, so she knew beforehand. If you know me, I Like total surprises. I avoid movies previews. I didn't look at our d2d SF thread until after I saw he movie. My preferred method is to read reviews first by both critics and 'users' and go from there if it's not a silly teen movie, horror, sci-fi, or fantasy. I love the element of surprise. I like the theme of he play, and I think it was very relevant for today.

I hope the play is HUGELY popular before or at opening time. Regardless of my opinion of the play last night, one cannot deny the fact that the audience wasn't enthralled or energized when it was over. I know that feeling, and it's one of life's best. I guess it would best be described as lackluster. But it was NOT bad. It was good. I give it a B- . Room for improvement, and that's what these previews are for. Especially the first one.

All I want is for he audience to stand up and cheer at the end. 'Peter and Mary' with Judi Dench and Ben Whishaw was a subdued story, but the audience was extremely enthusiastic at the end. The acting was really just that good. I was amazed at the talent of Judi Dench - wow. There was no real difference between her voice on screen or stage. With Daniel, he seems like two people. There's the stage persona and the film persona. I couldn't stop thinking how incredible he'd be in the Robert role if it were on screen. He'd play it differently, less like a stage actor, more real and believable. I feel horrible writing this stuff because I think we all agree hat he's the most handsome, charismatic, and talented actor alive. Perhaps the stream of facial sweat down the right side of his face was an indicator of his nervousness. Bless him.

It still was very special to see him in person and I looked at Rachel to see her look at Daniel, and couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking. Good lord, she's on Broadway with that beautiful man, that faithful man and surely one of her best friends.

I say it's too early to call on the play. They have a lot of time to make it fabulous. And even if I give it a B- and someone else gives it an 'amazing' or 'it sucked', I'm going by the report card of he audience's reaction, and that matched mine. I honestly don't think any of the cast could have been overly pleased going home. No festive, celebratory champagne or toasts (except for remembering the lines and having the guts to get up there in the first place.) Just think of the pressure to have presold all those tickets. Yikes.

Oh, and he looked much better than most of the pics taken at the stage door. The one A posted through Dunda is more like it - very handsome.

Rachel just has this porcelain skin. Her legs, arms, face. It's like she's never seen the sun and she was blessed with good genes. And to-die-for hair and bone structure.

Il see it in previews before it opens, so it will be interesting to see.

Oh, he stage door crowd was much smaller the for ASR (maybe because it s was split on both sides of the building) and was quite quiet. Nothing like Hugh and Daniel. Hugh was the fuel that ignited the crowd. Pics, talking, etc. Fortunately, Daniel did he same (kind of had to.) Now he can do very little and get away fine wih that. Time will tell what he does, but hey, we're getting pics and that's AWESOME. IT'S ALL GOOD FOR US!!!
Last edited by sf2la on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tampa

Post by tampa »

SF. Thank you tons for your posts. There is nothing I have read about the play this last day that can come close to your observations. You are our "eyes and ears" on the play. Your view is special, because you are a major fan, and your perspective is for me the most honest and perceptive. I look forward to your seeing it again and your posts on how they improved it. Nichols and Rudin are very experienced and smart, so I'm hopeful they can work some magic.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

:stick_iagree:
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Sf, I should like to echo what Tampa said and thank you very much for all your posts. You must be tired out now, so I hope you have a good journey home and manage to catch up on some sleep.

I admit to feeling a bit disappointed this morning, but I remain optimistic that the production will improve with a bit of tweaking and that the actors will settle into their roles.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Thank you for your thanks. One thing that has been stellar is the weather. OMG. Perfect.

It's been one helluva expensive trip, so no one should feel like they should kick themselves for not coming. I'll be staying at a less expensive place next time, thats for sure!

I agree that Nichols, Rudin, and the actors are very experienced and intelligent and will tweak the begeezuz out of it before it opens.

Now if I could only text better. I always miss the Ts!

Oh, I thought of a reference - Daniel on SNL. The preview was off the charts. He acted like he wasn't acting. But his acting in the skits was very much 'performing.' It's just not the same for him. Yet.
Jana66

Post by Jana66 »

@sf2la,
thank you for beeing our "ears and eyes". Much apprechiated.
BTW, but was is...begeezuz :wink: ?
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

cassandra wrote:Sf, I should like to echo what Tampa said and thank you very much for all your posts. You must be tired out now, so I hope you have a good journey home and manage to catch up on some sleep.

I admit to feeling a bit disappointed this morning, but I remain optimistic that the production will improve with a bit of tweaking and that the actors will settle into their roles.
That goes for me too. :D
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Thanks for all the posts and links. I saw ASR but can't make it to see this one...dang! Sorry to hear he has a small role, but some Daniel is better than no Daniel! Thanks again...
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Ooh, ouch! That's not a nice article.
The whole "Daniel Craig keeps his shirt on" stance pisses me right off, frankly. Not all of us see him as Action Man. There are those who appreciate his nuanced, unshowy acting in many films as well as his performance as James Bond. But I guess that's not what he's really known for. :evil:
They do make an interesting, if bitchy, point about the seats - I'd be disappointed if I'd spent a lot of money and couldn't see the actors' expressions in a play that seems to be all about layers of emotion and meaning.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Begeezus or us or whatever is American slang for 'heck.'

Just one more thing and then I'll shut up. The most distracting physical attribute of Daniel on stage is his eyelashes. Who has eyelashes like him?? Who? Not even Rachel. I don't know his he keeps his eyes open. They are absolutely amazing. The body - a man can build, but the lashes and #2 most distracting - the light blue eyes, are pure generic gifts. Okay, I know Latisse grows lashes longer, but we know he's not using Latisse. His lashes are so thick and long. Unbelievable. The lighting and my seat angle must have made them 'pop' more than usual.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Omg, I thought the exact same thing while watching the show about the people sitting further back. They would have ZERO idea that Rachel had feared up several times, for one. And yes, the facial expressions are key.

I honestly don't think anyone was there to James Bond. They'd have to have an IQ of 25 if they did. I didn't see any teens either. Mostly adult couples. But that's just what I saw while waiting to go in. I was curious if I'd recognize any people, but I didn't. I was looking for Nichols, but I sat down too early.