Box Office

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Hi Elvenstar, so nice to see you again and still be a Daniel fan : :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I can't imagine those who saw Skyfall not seeing Spectre. Okay, so take the little kids to Peanuts this weekend if you have to, but see Spectre next weekend. But I guess that opening weekend is all-too important. I don't understand. Perhaps the buzz and momentum are set there.

US vs UK question - when I saw The Lobster a few weeks ago over there, people walked out when it was over. I stayed through the credits and was the absolute last person to leave a full cinema. At Spectre, nearly everyone just got up and left. No applause (maybe that's an American thing.) Only a very small percentage stuck around through the credits. I didn't stay for all of them because I had a friend with me and figured I could to that at another showing,

Were these just two unusual isolated events? I find, at least in the area in which I live, that it's more common than not to stick around through at least some of the credits, and if people really like it (which I assume they did during the UK showings I saw) that there is some applause - I know, sounds silly for a non-live performance. Just asking if there are cultural differences

I agree about Rolling Stone. You have to find the critics that you like and give more weight to their reviews. I always weigh User reviews over Critics, anyway. If the Critics give it a 38% and the Users a 65%, I'll probably go. If turned around, I won't go. If they're both good, sure thing I'll go unless it's a genre I don't care for. Has RT posted User reviews for where it has shown? Here, it' listed as 99% Want to See. No reviews yet.
SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

We Brits have a very 'stiff upper lip' attitude STILL, even now in the 21st century...

Applaud a movie? WHY?? It's not the theatre! The actors cannot HEAR our appreciation! It's almost as if its something 'a bit pansy' to do. I personally would LOVE to hear applause, especially after Spectre. I heard a ripple of half-hearted applause after the midnight IMAX showing me and FC went to, which I tried to encourage by joining in but it didn't really work. :roll: If we do applause, if an audience member decides to, it is done quietly and respectfully.

I would only stay to the end credits if I knew there was going to be a 'tag line' or additional scene which is the norm for Marvel movies. For Bond, I really don't think that EVER happens. I just wanted to know if there was going to be a "James Bond Will Return" message like the one we had at the end of SF. Generally, we Brits want to get home or go to the pub, a restaurant. Why hang around for an additional 10 minutes if there is nothing at the end of it?? I have been to movies where new scenes are shown OVER the end credits and people stop in the aisle to watch if they care to. If it's just names going over the screen, we get bored. Move on.

Us Brits... go figure. :oops: :roll:
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Adult audiences here in the UK don't generally applaud a film. I did experience some in Skyfall when the Aston turned up, but on the whole we don't. It's also very common for people to leave before the credits.
We also don't applaud the pilot when he lands the plane. I always find that quite funny.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Elvenstar wrote:It can even convert some haters (who sadly still in abundance & probably throwing a celebration @ the mere mention of a possibility of Dan being replaced :roll: )
:lol: :lol:
I sometimes got to DCINB and look what they are up to...
I expected some cheering with the bad reviews from US and I really felt some deep satisfying 'schadenfreude' that those morons couldn't enjoy the bad reviews, because these bad reviews mostly focussed on the fact that they brought some "silliness" from the Moore era bad. And they hold the Moore era very high and are not able to believe that exactly this is what make some critics not liking the movie.

Well that's ok with me :twisted:

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Red-Snow

Post by Red-Snow »

No one ever applauds a movie when it's over in Australia. The only time there's applause is if someone shuts down someone who is being disruptive. And it has to be a pretty good put down to get a reaction.

'Watchmen' was the only film that got an applause and that was because half the cinema was packed with fans of the graphic novel, everyone else was just standing around confused wondering why people were clapping.

Once the lights go one people generally start leaving straight away. Those in the know will stay for post credit scenes, otherwise everyone high tails it outta the cinema and heads to the bathroom.
caramel

Post by caramel »

Here when a movie is much appreciated there is applause at the end...helps to show you were impressed and enjoyed something that was highly anticipated perhaps
bubita

Post by bubita »

caramel wrote:Here when a movie is much appreciated there is applause at the end...helps to show you were impressed and enjoyed something that was highly anticipated perhaps
Same here.
The only one I´ve witness was the end of Schindler´s list. There was a huge amount of applause, very proud to be there.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Not really the case here, but it got a clap last night. I mean, a little one, but it was there.

The theater was full and no one going to the loo in between.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Jana66

Post by Jana66 »

Germangirl wrote:...the theater was full and no one going to the loo in between.
That means a lot for the movie itself, IMO.
BTW, we belong to the small minority to stay and sit down and read the credits. It is also a good moment to listen the song around it and to take a small break to settle your feelings and emotiones before leaving. Why to hurry? IMO, there is no need for that.
(Other good thing...leaving later...no hurry around you...and no endless quene at the loo :wink: )
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Yes, I agree.

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Box Office: ‘Spectre’ on Target with $5.25 Million Thursday Night

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-o ... 201635205/
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

So far so good. It did more then SF in all his showings. Lets hope, the meh reviews for Peanuts will help it to get to 90 mill.

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Hmmmm the Peanuts movie is currently at 86% at RT.

But I don't think it's the same target audience....

Happy Feet didn't do any harm to the overall success of CR, despite the fact that it took over the BO

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I am really sick of worrying about the BO, but I can't help it :(

Problem is, the kids need their parents to see the film, so many will go there instead of seeing Spectre - well, this weekend at least.

It will be a struggle to get to decent numbers, but hopefully it will get there.

Waltz is just not a terrifying character and compared to Bardem, he is hardly visible. Almaric territory.