Othello

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

WOW! They really pulled off this one. So pleased toread all these glowing reviews. I believe this means more to him then any other acculate.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

CheekyNandos

Post by CheekyNandos »

They have pulled this off and yeah this means a lot to them, but on reflection I struggle to see how they can put this play onto Broadway. They all seemed to be in their element and were relishing drawing the audience in. You can tell these are all guys that are in love with their craft and they are miles apart from any other show I've seen and I've watched a whole bunch.

I think a lot of the meaning would be lost on Broadway... Part of the attraction of this play is you end up being a part of the plan as the audience. The intimacy of the set up makes you secondary to the plot rather than an observer on the outside. I'm not debating that there are small theatres on Broadway because there are... But this was built with a very specific feeling in mind from the ground up at NYTW and they had that luxury from the very beginning thanks to the bespoke nature of the theatre. A lot of the feeling, emotion and so forth would be lost in translation anywhere else.

It actually reminds me of something... So a little personal anecdote here which may help you put things into perspective. Maybe some food for thought :).

When I was a kid our school took us on a trip to the Everyman Theatre in Liverpool. I remember watching Jumping Jack Flash there... I don't know if the theatre has changed recently but for that particular show the actors were able to run up the stairs and park their arses on the steps right next to the audience, involving them directly. I know that Daniel used to frequent the Everyman and I wonder if there's a bit of a boyhood bug biting him and coming back here - a sense of boyish wonder from the past and being able to be "that guy" that is doing that for real now, IDK. It's interesting to think about anyway. I don't see how this could work out anywhere else but happy to be proven wrong.

The set up is very oppressive. It's literally a coffin and when you think of it that way, it becomes some kind of "casket-ception" where the audience witness many a tragedy in the centre of the arena while being privy to everything else. It means that we, as the audience, have the luxury of two perspectives... We are inside that little bubble of tragedy, sitting as we watch Iago give his cruel, manipulative 'eulogy' and also on the outside as we mourn those that have passed, lowered into the ground from the centrepiece.

Anyway! It's certainly only the second play I've been to where they've used the audience in this manner.
Maria

Post by Maria »

That makes sense Cheeky. I to think the intimacy would not transfer well to Broadway. (I've not seen it, but reading the comments and reviews, the setting makes a difference here, enhancing the intensity of the actors.)

Grateful you got to see it three times and could share with us. :cheer:
CheekyNandos

Post by CheekyNandos »

I got to see it once. I think it was Pam that saw it three times :).

If only! I was lucky to see it just the once in the end.
Maria

Post by Maria »

CheekyNandos wrote:I got to see it once. I think it was Pam that saw it three times :).

If only! I was lucky to see it just the once in the end.
Opps, apologies. I got you mixed up - but knew you saw it and wrote a great review! :thumbup:
CheekyNandos

Post by CheekyNandos »

No worries :D.
Maria

Post by Maria »

CheekyNandos wrote:No worries :D.
Muah!
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

David Oyelowo v. 007: A New Color of Money

http://observer.com/2016/12/david-oyelo ... iel-craig/

Incidentally, Dniels's old pal Sreven Spielberg was in the audiance last night.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks. There hasnt been any interview with Daniel yet. Even by his standards, that is rare. I wonder why that is.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:Thanks. There hasnt been any interview with Daniel yet. Even by his standards, that is rare. I wonder why that is.
I think maybe he's letting David do interviews because he's got a couple of films out at the moment.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

That sounds about right. Oh yeah, let David do the interviews :lol:

Maria

Post by Maria »

I suspect he's happy to have David lead the interviews for now, he's probably tired of even an opportunity for the press to ask about another Bond film...
FrenchCat

Post by FrenchCat »

How lucky you are Cheeky !! That's a fantastic Christmas gift ! :D
Thanks for the great review !
ImageImageImage
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

A Few Quick Bloggy Thoughts on the Sam Gold/ Daniel Craig/ David Oyelowo "Othello"

http://parabasis.typepad.com/blog/2017/ ... hello.html
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Tranks. Its so good to hear him praised so much