DC in Ed Zwick's DEFIANCE

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

plaka

Post by plaka »

cornell01 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:So update:
6th London - 7th Paris - 9th LA - 11th LA? - 12th New York...
Do we know he is attending a red carpet premiere in New York on January 12?

More photos to look forward to! I have a feeling it's going to get kind of dull after this Defiance publicity.
17.30 Leicester Square London. Weather forecast -2 and clear.
Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

people in the know...what time do you think it best to get there for the premiere? Early in the morning, or around 2-3pm??? Will it be busy, especially with the weather and all?
plaka

Post by plaka »

Aman wrote:people in the know...what time do you think it best to get there for the premiere? Early in the morning, or around 2-3pm??? Will it be busy, especially with the weather and all?
On Heart radio this morning they have been promoting this premiere heavily telling people to go along and get a glimpse of DC, also in the free Metro paper lastnight their heading was 'SEE DANIEL CRAIG WALK THE RED CARPET'.From all this promotion I would think its going to be busy despite the weather.
loonia

Post by loonia »

For any Aussies who don't know already, Defiance in cinemas on 26th February!

I know we are on the other side of the world here but does it really take that long to send the roll of film? Suppose seamail takes a while longer these days especially with them pirate attacks off Africa!

Dear oh dear, all this waiting has made me a tad loopy! :shock:

Hope you guys on the 'right' side of the world are enjoying this brilliant movie :lol:
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

loonia wrote:For any Aussies who don't know already, Defiance in cinemas on 26th February!

I know we are on the other side of the world here but does it really take that long to send the roll of film? Suppose seamail takes a while longer these days especially with them pirate attacks off Africa!

Dear oh dear, all this waiting has made me a tad loopy! :shock:

Hope you guys on the 'right' side of the world are enjoying this brilliant movie :lol:
In Germany it's out on 5th March...... :(

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Daniel Craig, Anti-Movie Star

After blowing away the bad guys (not to mention box office records) as 007, Daniel Craig getsserious and even more intense in Defiance, a wrenching WWII drama based on the real-life story of three brothers fightingback against the Nazis to save hundreds of fellow Jews.

His performance has been highly praised, although there have been some jokes about trading aMartini for Manischewitz. But Craig isn't worried about mixing up his choices, revealing, "I actbecause I love it, not because I want to be a movie star."

Q: A lot of people will be surprised by this story. Were you?

A: I knew that there was Jewish resistance during the war, but I didn't know to what extent.This was one of the largest rescues during the Holocaust, but it hasn't got that much attention.The brothers saved over 1,200 people. They went into the forest to resist and take revenge againstthe Nazis. They also formed a community, complete with a school, so the refugees were able to domore than just survive like animals.

Q: You spent a lot of time filming in the freezing cold. How did you cope?

A: We got drunk all the time. There was real vodka being drunk in more than one scene. And Imust say, it did help to fight off the cold. We were filming in the middle of a forest in freezingtemperatures a long way from our comfy trailers. We were on set 12 hours a day, every day -- damp,wet, cold and miserable. We kind of bonded together and a little alcohol helped.

Q: Did you wonder how the real refugees survived those conditions?

A: How they lived through four winters is just extraordinary. It just gets colder andcolder and colder. But it plays into the feel and the mood of the movie. And of course at the endof a long day we went back to a heated hotel and a hot shower.

Q: You play the brother who becomes a leader and holds everyone together. Would you havebeen up to the challenge?

A: I have no idea. I can't imagine myself or anybody else in a situation like that. It'sjust horrendous. Of course, I'd like to think I'd do the right thing. But who knows.

Q: There are quite a few films released this year that deal with the Holocaust. Some peoplehave said too many.

A: It is well-trodden ground but it's also recent history. Genocide was supposed to come toan end at the end of World War II, but that hasn't been the case. So I kind of feel relivingstories about people who survive terrible atrocities is important whether it's the Holocaust, orIraq or Afghanistan. We can't forget these things.

Q: Was this a more demanding role than playing James Bond?

A: Ultimately, acting is acting. It's just a question of the amount of work you put inbeforehand and then the work you put in when you're doing it. There's a lot of responsibility,obviously, when you're in a big-budget movie like Quantum of Solace. But there's no more responsibility than doing justice to a story like Defiance.

Q: Now that you're famous as 007, how has it changed your life?

A: I just get on with my job. If I kind of made a sort of conscious effort to sort ofdisguise myself it would look a bit odd. I can't wear a beard or start dying my hair for just noapparent reason. It's not the way I work. But I don't go to as many public events because I don'tlike to be hassled. When I'm somewhere and it gets a bit tricky, I kind of have to duck away.Shopping isn't a problem, however. I have people to do that for me now. They bring me things.

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/celebri ... iance.html
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Nice Q&A Thelma. Do you think he really doesn't do his own shopping anymore! We know he buys his own Bollinger!
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

cornell01 wrote:

More photos to look forward to! I have a feeling it's going to get kind of dull after this Defiance publicity.

WWWHHHAAATTT? man, i cant get a break. i was just there, then he leaves and great. i got to confirm this. and where? and i guess i can see it before anyone? Jan 16th, fur real? in no whereland.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

i would definitely bring him something. guinness, a towel, the newspaper, a towel, some soy burgers, a guinness, a towel......etc. damn. he is getting to be too popular. i hope he stays okay mentally. ~guinness-yes DC i will get you another.
StarryDannyFan

Post by StarryDannyFan »

Guinness wrote:
cornell01 wrote:

WWWHHHAAATTT? man, i cant get a break. i was just there, then he leaves and great. i got to confirm this. and where? and i guess i can see it before anyone? Jan 16th, fur real? in no whereland.
Jan 16th.... hmm a special day for me. Where is he going to have a premeire???

StarryDannyFan xx
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Daniel Craig 'loved Defiance story'

Daniel Craig starred in his latest film for the love of the story it told, he said.

Speaking at the European premiere of holocaust-themed action movie Defiance at London's Leicester Square Odeon, he described the true story on which it is based as something he wanted the world to know.

"We didn't do it for the money, this movie, we did it because we loved doing it," he said.

He continued: "We had a laugh - we had to. It was just as soon as I read the material I saw it was something I wanted to get involved in and expose to the world."

The film tells the story of three Jewish brothers, the Bielskis, who escape Nazi-occupied Poland and take refuge in the woods they have known since childhood. From there they begin to fight back against the Nazis and are joined in battle by men and women of all ages.

Director Edward Zwick said there was a sense of urgency about telling stories like that of the Bielski brothers while Holocaust survivors were still alive. "This is the 11th hour," he said. "The last survivors at this moment will within five or 10 years all be gone. There's a certain anxiety attached to that and maybe some sort of urgency to try to tell the rest of the stories that aren't known."

He also added his voice to the praise showered on Bond star Craig by his co-stars Jamie Bell and Liev Schreiber, who play the other two brothers, and Alexa Davalos.

"He was always available, he was never in his trailer, he was accessible," he said.

Bell described the film as educational for him. "I didn't know about Jewish resistance," he said. "Doing this movie has been an incredibly educational process. I've learned so much and I hope this movie will maybe change the perspective on the Jewish people at this time in history."

A horde of excited fans braved the cold to catch a glimpse of stars on the red carpet, who included Ray Mears, Terry Gilliam and Lorraine Kelly.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... mYGjcaSlLg
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Very nice interview.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

American box-office in 2 cinemas :

$210,616 / 6
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Daniel Craig 'fascinated' by hero

After the success of his second film as James Bond in Quantum Of Solace, Daniel Craig takes on the role of another hero in his latest movie, Defiance. It's about a group of Jewish brothers who survive in the forests of Poland during World War II.

You're a hero in your latest film, Defiance. But your character's a very different type of hero isn't it?

He is a hero. He becomes a hero but he certainly doesn't want to do half of the things that were expected of him. That was what fascinated me about the story. He's just a normal guy who's trying to survive this horrendous thing that's happening. He's had his family wiped out, his community has been totally decimated and he wants to run away and hide. That's what he wants to do.

He's quite reluctant to become a leader to start with, isn't he?

I just don't think he has a choice. I think he just realises there's no choice and it's either this or nothing. As for everybody who's in the story, there's no option, because there's nowhere to run to because the rest of Europe's burning and if you're Jewish and you're found out, you're dead. So, this is their only option. So they make the best of what they have.

Vodka features quite heavily in the film. Did you drink on set?

As it does everywhere. As it did all over Christmas. We don't drink on set. There were a couple of days where we did. I think for the wedding sequence a couple of bottles of vodka came out. But that was just a jolly thing along with it. I'd love to be able to act drunk but I can't.

There's a wedding scene in the film that is central to the movie. What did you feel when you were shooting it?

It's a lovely moment. But it very much represents what the film is essentially about, which is life and death and that you can't have one without the other.

Did you take your young British co-star Jaime Bell under your wing?

I didn't take him under my wing. He didn't need me to take him under my wing. He's more than capable of looking after himself. We had to form a relationship because that's the central part of the movie, the relationship between the brothers.

And there's a video at the source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/enter ... 814393.stm
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Very nice read, Thelma.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”