Before Bond, Craig Was Mr. Marmite- Contact Music UK

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

cdra

Before Bond, Craig Was Mr. Marmite- Contact Music UK

Post by cdra »

Just found this on google news. Sounds strange....

JAMES BOND DANIEL CRAIG earned his acting union card by playing Mr. Marmite in a Reading, England supermarket - and he's still a big fan of the British yeast extract spread. The actor reveals he used to wear a "Marmite jumper" and surprise shoppers with his over-the-top upbeat take on the tangy black paste at the beginning of his acting career. He says, "I was Mr. Marmite - that's how I got my equity card... At the Reading Save-a-Centre." Craig still spreads Marmite on his toast in the morning when he's at home in London - especially the new brand, which features Guinness. He adds, "It wakes you up, like, 'Welcome to the day! I've just put axle grease in my mouth."

02/07/2007 01:58
sharmaine

Post by sharmaine »

This marmite must be similar to vegemite down under.
I tried it....and....well...bleechkk, can't stand it.
No accounting for taste - I think it's a man's taste.

Wasn't Brad Pitt a costume trademark chicken a long time ago?
Must be tough to be a struggling actor.
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

this is true, he talks about it in the magazine Interview, and I quote: "Okay- 7:30 in the morning, I'm buttering my toast and then putting Marmite with Guinness on it. I can't taste anything at that hour, but Marmite is so great it's like [ makes screaming sound].It wakes you up! [laughs]Like, "welcome to the day!" I've just put axle grease in my mouth... You know, I was Mr Marmite- that's how I got my equity card." end of quote

:lol:
you wanna do WHAT to me?
chrissie

Mr Marmite

Post by chrissie »

Oh YUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
He'd have to brush his teeth before I'd kiss him is all I can say :?
Well...maybe not :D
shopper12

Post by shopper12 »

Yeees. I'm not too keen on it either. And with Guiness? Wow. Strong stuff. :?
yochan

Post by yochan »

Please tell me.
What is a Reading? Is it the name of a supermarket chain in England, like Tesco?
hewsy

Post by hewsy »

Haha!

Awesome, we have marmite here (NZ) and most people like it!
shopper12

Post by shopper12 »

yochan wrote:Please tell me.
What is a Reading? Is it the name of a supermarket chain in England, like Tesco?
Reading is the name of a city near London; it's about 30-45mins away from London. It's quite nice there, although I always think 'go the extra miles into London!'. :D
Ang

Post by Ang »

God how embarrassing, poor Daniel, still if you can manage to brave that embarrassment you can probably do anything...

Personally I love marmite but the best way to use it is mix a little bit with some spread that way it doesn't go on too strong - mmm lovely, especially with tea in the morning.
yochan

Post by yochan »

shopper12 wrote:
yochan wrote:Please tell me.
Reading is the name of a city near London; it's about 30-45mins away from London. It's quite nice there, although I always think 'go the extra miles into London!'. :D
I see.
Thank you, shopper12. :D :D
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thinking I might get the answer by reading the posts, I didn`t ask earlier. But what exactly is marmite? Thought it might be close to marmelade, but don`t think so anymore.

Stupid me :oops:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

shopper12

Post by shopper12 »

Germangirl wrote:Thinking I might get the answer by reading the posts, I didn`t ask earlier. But what exactly is marmite? Thought it might be close to marmelade, but don`t think so anymore.

Stupid me :oops:
I seem to be answering all the questions here, but I don't mind!
Marmite is a British sandwich spread made from yeast extract; it's browny and kind of used like Nutella. That's the best way to describe it.

The catchphrase is 'You either love it or you hate it,' and it's exactly like that. I personally hate it, but some people eat it all the time! :)
louiethedog

marmite

Post by louiethedog »

here's a snack to try take a tortilla, spread with marmite, place on approx 4 slices of cheddar (thats cheese), add cucumber, tomato and a little onion. Perfect bedtime snack - well I ate it about half an hour ago, just had a busy shift on a ward and need my strength building up.

I love it - and vegimite - and its good for you, very few ways you can get your B vitamins!

well done Dan, guiness and marmite - or was that marmite flavoured guiness, whatever, may just try that one tomorrow when I'm on an early shift and can recover!!!
shopper12

Re: marmite

Post by shopper12 »

louiethedog wrote:here's a snack to try take a tortilla, spread with marmite, place on approx 4 slices of cheddar (thats cheese), add cucumber, tomato and a little onion. Perfect bedtime snack - well I ate it about half an hour ago, just had a busy shift on a ward and need my strength building up.

I love it - and vegimite - and its good for you, very few ways you can get your B vitamins!

well done Dan, guiness and marmite - or was that marmite flavoured guiness, whatever, may just try that one tomorrow when I'm on an early shift and can recover!!!
I might just do that - maybe that recipe and knowing that DC likes it will cure me of my distaste for it. I'll buy some when i next go shopping. :D
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

shopper12 wrote: I seem to be answering all the questions here, but I don't mind!
Hope you don`t and thanks for the reply.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..