Britannia Awards

The latest and oldest photos and videos of Daniel Craig. Don't be shy about contributing!

Moderator: Germangirl

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

I read it too GG and of course she hasn't been there for the defining leaps of his career - but she was for time in which he's being honored as "Artist of the Year" - it wasn't a lifetime achievement award, after all.

She was by his side throughout Skyfall - for which, based upon last night's viewing and the huge bias towards Bond at 50, this award was really about.

I do agree with your conclusion though that the reason she was omitted is that he's keeping the professional and the personal separate, that's his way.

Gosh he sure does create some conundrums for his fans!

:peace2:
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I'm somewhere between the opinions. It's obvious that Rachel has given him a love of he intended intensity,, a stepson he seems to adore and love, a confidence and pride he hasn't shown before, and self-security that allowed DC to focus on Skyfall without having to concern himself with her. He could give Skyfall 100% without guilt. I also know that GG didn't mean that he should thanks Sats. No way - hell would freeze over first. Besides, he's already thanked her by a financial settlement.

Remember, these award recipients KNEW they would be giving acceptance speeches. I can't believe that he would write the speech without Rachel's input. And no way would he risk pissing off Rachel for not thanking her. I'm thinking they wrote it together.

This was the first awards show that I have enjoyed in years and years. I liked Cumming. Except for the inappropriate C&A joke, I thought he was perfect. The US award show hosts are BORING. I also thought DDLewis was very entertaining. If everyone got up and did what Daniel did, it would be boring.

I dont get it - what's the deal with the BAFTAs and the Britainias? BAFTAs nominated by the Brits only and The Britannias by the s only?
honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

Daniel is not known for blowing his own trumpet, so I’m not surprised he wasn’t waxing lyrical about himself/family, he just lets his work and others do the talking. Keeping personal and professional separate seems to be his way. He has said it’s a profession HE chose and is protective of kith and kin, frustrating for some but he is who he is and remains an enigma. There is no right or wrong in the should have, could have, would have equation because we are not walking in his shoes :peace:
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
Littlesue

Post by Littlesue »

Sylvia's girl wrote:Calm it girls. Don't forget Daniel's award was for
British Artist of the Year.
I'm surprised he got it, I'd have thought Micheal Fassbender would hav got it for all the films he released last year.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Littlesue wrote:
I'm surprised he got it, I'd have thought Micheal Fassbender would hav got it for all the films he released last year.
Thank God for little mercies :wink:

From watching the show, I did get the impression that it was mant as an achievement award for older work as well.

I was disappointed, they were not shown more. From what you guys said, I was imagining a couple love fest, but they were only in the focus, when he was announced. But eyes and lashes alarm. Big time.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Germangirl wrote:
Littlesue wrote:
Thank God for little mercies :wink:

From watching the show, I did get the impression that it was mant as an achievement award for older work as well.

I was disappointed, they were not shown more. From what you guys said, I was imagining a couple love fest, but they were only in the focus, when he was announced. But eyes and lashes alarm. Big time.
I agree GG - it was very fuzzy as to what the hell he was being recognized for. That and DDL's award made it all seem way too promotional and self-serving for the EON's and Spielberg's of this world. Not that I don't love EON! And was so glad to see him get this. I just wish it had more definition around it! For example, Hugh and Judi just seemed like they were there for a hoot, with no mention of DC's body of work (in 2012, which is SF basically).
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I think, we have a lot of reading between the lines to do on this. They showed RTP, so it was for older work, but mostly presented him as an action hero, which was a bit sad.

But on a whole, hadn't he done the work he did in his career - one film or just Bonds might not have brought it to him. So - its a career award, but they used it to promote the current films. In a way fine with me, because SF should get the maximum of promo to get real big.

The Oscar talk now will also help. Whether or not it finally gets nods doesn't matter that much. For me, if Daniel is not nominated, I wouldn't want Javier to be either. Sorry, but of course, its always easier to play a flashy, creepy villain then being the hero, who cannot put too much over the top acting into the game, which Javier certaibly did - and it worked, but still...the Bond part is more difficult, because there are certain rules to it plus limitations of what you can do. Within these limits, he did brilliantly.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I don't get it either. If they had just shown a clip of GDT, I wouldn't have any questions. It can't be for lifelong work becauseRachel win in 2006 and that was the year she won for The Constant Gardener, and she wasn't all that established back then.

Never having seen the show before, the entire thing took itself less seriously. The award was very significant, but I thought the show was entertaining, unlike every other award show. For that reason, I don't have a problem with Hugh and Judi's bits. I liked them.

As for Javier not winning an Oscar unless Daniel does, I have to disagree. It's always the role you play. As perfect as Daniel is, I just don't see this character winning. I do see Silva though.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

sf2la wrote:I don't get it either. If they had just shown a clip of GDT, I wouldn't have any questions. It can't be for lifelong work becauseRachel win in 2006 and that was the year she won for The Constant Gardener, and she wasn't all that established back then.

Never having seen the show before, the entire thing took itself less seriously. The award was very significant, but I thought the show was entertaining, unlike every other award show. For that reason, I don't have a problem with Hugh and Judi's bits. I liked them.

As for Javier not winning an Oscar unless Daniel does, I have to disagree. It's always the role you play. As perfect as Daniel is, I just don't see this character winning. I do see Silva though.
Sure, I do, too, because its a part, that is way more noticable in its bits, as he is on screen less and in that time, his characer is all over the place and supposedly so. Playing a character like Bond in comparison, is way more difficult to make it Award worthy. What i am saying is, that Javier had a much easier job, as good as he was. If he wins, he wins, but at least, let them give Daniel a Bafta nod like for CR. Its almot sure thing, from what i read, that Lincoln will win Best Actor. This DDL seemed like a real nice guy, too.

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

"Artist of the Year" to me doesn't sound like a lifetime achievement recognition. Let's face it BAFTA Americas (the organization, not the awards) is all about promoting British film art in the USA. 50 years of Bond, Skyfall, oh let's throw in an award for Daniel and promote the movie while we're at it.

Oh and Lincoln is coming out, another Brit in a high profile role that could do with some PR since Spielberg held back promoting the movie so as not to have the election distract from it or it distract from the election.

Even odder, Skyfall hadn't even been released in the US when the award was given. Which may be why they had to throw in a few clips from his other movies, although Bond did get most of the airtime.

I hate to be the cynic here, but awards shows are influenced by lobbyists. EON and whoever, would have been lobbying hard for DC to be recognized for this role at this time. And look who was sat at his table and walking the red carpet - BB, Naomi, Berenice...

All too coincidental to me. Just wish it had all had more definition, this would have lent the whole awards some credibility. That being said, he's a winner for me 100% of the time.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

bumblebee wrote:"Artist of the Year" to me doesn't sound like a lifetime achievement recognition. Let's face it BAFTA Americas (the organization, not the awards) is all about promoting British film art in the USA. 50 years of Bond, Skyfall, oh let's throw in an award for Daniel and promote the movie while we're at it.

Oh and Lincoln is coming out, another Brit in a high profile role that could do with some PR since Spielberg held back promoting the movie so as not to have the election distract from it or it distract from the election.

Even odder, Skyfall hadn't even been released in the US when the award was given. Which may be why they had to throw in a few clips from his other movies, although Bond did get most of the airtime.

I hate to be the cynic here, but awards shows are influenced by lobbyists. EON and whoever, would have been lobbying hard for DC to be recognized for this role at this time. And look who was sat at his table and walking the red carpet - BB, Naomi, Berenice...

All too coincidental to me. Just wish it had all had more definition, this would have lent the whole awards some credibility. That being said, he's a winner for me 100% of the time.
I think, you are absolutely right.
Thing is, others gets nods anbd awards because of the same politics and shine. So, in the end, it just looks good to me, when an award is being given to him. Has been a while :wink:

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Just that its. 'Broccoli' award says it all, he definitely deserves it.
cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

I thought the award was for Well Daniel Craig welcome to Amercia, like a nod to him that he has been recognised by the big wigs of the U. S film industry, a friendly gesture. your one of us and hopefully then they give him more work and get juicer scripts to do. Like a little spotlight on him for all those future producers etc This brit guys good. Just wot i thought anyways.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

cheryl1700 wrote:I thought the award was for Well Daniel Craig welcome to Amercia, like a nod to him that he has been recognised by the big wigs of the U. S film industry, a friendly gesture. your one of us and hopefully then they give him more work and get juicer scripts to do. Like a little spotlight on him for all those future producers etc This brit guys good. Just wot i thought anyways.
Like everything for him, it takes a bit longer then for some others. Probably because he denies imself any sort of self promotion. People have to look out for him instead to SEE him. But I think he has build up a nice little fan elite by now for himself.

cheryl1700

Post by cheryl1700 »

totally agree GG, i mean if another bond actor had jumped out of a helicopter with the Queen, he would have had loads of interviews and the newspapers would be printing loads on wot that actor had to say, 50 years of bond. Another actor would have taken full advantage to further his career and push himself into the limelight.
From Daniel absolutely nothing, oh it was all arranged, i didnt have choice the queen said yes. end of. Self promotion just isnt him. Hopefully the big wigs will recognise this gentle quality :wink: