A Steady Rain reviews - member and critics

This is the place to discuss all of Mr. Craig's work on stage.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

NY TImes

. an emotive storm

This is unquestionably a great script, as textured as any modern play I have seen recently. The characters, played to near perfection by craig and jackman, are at once stark, and colorful.

This character driven play works on our emotional expectations.

-We project good and evil too easily. As character motivation is revealed, we are compelled to re-examine that premise, and our initial assessment of "Deni and Joey" and by extention what moves us.

craig and jackman have chemistry, and that in turn gives this "buddy story" authenticity.

Forget the simplistic dismissal of "yea or ney" on this one. It is well worth experiencing the steady rain for yourself.

One hell of a show

Theater in the purest sense of the word. Bravery from Craig and Jackman to put themselves up there for everybody to see, whether or not they can act. Well - they can - both, even though I´d give Craig a nod for being more convincing and just a bit better. The play is good, too but needs two great actors to make it work. Their after show auction is fun and shows, they are willing to throw themselves into that, too, for the sake of charity. Cudoos...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

"A Steady Rain" starring Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig

No, this isn't a post about this weekend's weather.
Last week I was in New York, essentially to see a play called "A Steady Rain". I'm actually not much of a live theater guy. When I lived in New York, I probably about two plays a year. But this one is special. It stars two of my favorite actors, Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig.
I heard some mixed things about it, but I loved it. Craig and Jackman are both so charismatic and good at their professions that they were able to take a fairly pedestrian script and turn it into great theater.
"A Steady Rain" is a one act, two-man play, with a set that consists solely of two chairs. However, the very cool backdrops changed for different scenes. The play itself is about two Chicago street cops who long to be detectives but whose personal lives and manners keep them down. The play is pretty heavy and sort of depressing. Both actors have a few monologues to show off their immense talents.
After the play, the actors auctioned the shirts off their backs for the Broadway Cares charity. It was great fun seeing them as themselves. Both are very funny and personable.
All in all, it was a great, memorable night!
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

For the German Ladies :wink:

http://www.dradio.de/dlf/sendungen/kulturheute/1070066/

I really can't remember that I have read a review about a Broadway play in a German news magazine. :shock:

But maybe I just haven't recognized in the past :lol:

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Dunda wrote:For the German Ladies :wink:

I really can't remember that I have read a review about a Broadway play in a German news magazine. :shock:

Nice review - Thanks :D

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

From start to now - they are so constant, its incredible. Still best earning play. There are only two musicals this week (9-15.nov) that are over 100% as well.
Germangirl wrote:
Broadway Grosses: Sept. 7-13

Production(Theatre) Gross Gross Attendance Prev. Perf. Seats Avg. Paid Admission % Cap.
A Steady Rain(Schoenfeld) $767,663 5,355 5 0 1,071 $143.35 100.0%

Broadway Grosses: Sept. 14-20
A Steady Rain(Schoenfeld) $1,167,954 8,570 8 0 1,071 $136.28 100.0%

Broadway Grosses: Sept. 21-27
A Steady Rain(Schoenfeld) $1,153,779 8,575 8 0 1,071 $134.55 100.1%

Broadway Grosses: Sept. 28-Oct. 4

A Steady Rain(Schoenfeld) $1,096,463 8,666 0 8 1,071 $126.52 101.1%

Broadway Grosses: Oct. 5-11
A Steady Rain(Schoenfeld) $1,276,106 8,685 0 8 1,071 $146.93 101.4%

Broadway Grosses: Oct. 12-18

A Steady Rain(Schoenfeld) $1,239,283 8,672 0 8 1,071 $142.91 101.2%

Broadway Grosses: Oct. 19-25

A Steady Rain(Schoenfeld) $1,213,983 8,676 0 8 1,071 $139.92 101.3%

Broadway Grosses: Oct. 26 - Nov. 1
A Steady Rain (Schoenfeld) $1,187,455 8,667 0 8 1,071 $137.01 101.2%

Broadway Grosses: Nov. 2-8
A Steady Rain (Schoenfeld) $1,201,252 8,663 0 8 1,071 $138.66 101.1%

Broadway Grosses: Nov. 9-15
A Steady Rain (Schoenfeld) $1,202,161 8,665 0 8 1,071 $138.74 101.1%

Jana66

Post by Jana66 »

Dunda wrote:For the German Ladies :wink:

Dunda :D :D :D :D :D thank you soooo much for this! Its a very, very good article! Thanks a lot for finding! Since ASR started I always wanted to read or see or hear something about it from a German view. IMO, this is the first one.
Daniel_Craig

Post by Daniel_Craig »

Last edited by Daniel_Craig on Fri May 06, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

nbj914 Shocking. With sales topping $1 million, "A Steady Rain" has now taken in more than "God of Carnage."

Penelope

Post by Penelope »

There's a few nice comments in this thread at ATC
(NB:ATC posts only last a week or so)
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Penelope wrote:There's a few nice comments in this thread at ATC
(NB:ATC posts only last a week or so)
:D
I was there last night as well. I liked the play a lot more than I thought I would, based on prior reports. It definitely held my interest for the 90 minutes. I agree that both Jackman and Craig were wonderful - especially Craig. He was a surprise. I knew that I would love Jackman - and I did - but I thought Craig did a great job!

I 100% agree about Daniel Craig. He did an excellent job -- a complete transformation from his movie roles. Did you notice the theater personnel roving the aisles during the auction? Perhaps making sure no one was trying to take photos or record it?

I saw the show last Sunday and came away with a new found respect for Daniel Craig. Wow.
Otherwise, I enjoyed the play and found the writing to be very powerful.

Saw it last night and while I wasn't very impressed with the play itself, I decided those two could read names from a phonebook...it would be fine. But the real treat came after the performance when Craig and Jackman joked with the audience and auctioned their undershirts --definitely a crowd pleaser!

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Hugh Jackman & Daniel Craig...swoon

Sometimes big stars in Broadway shows don't translate into success. That is not the case with Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig in A Steady Rain, a two character play by Chicago playwright Keith Huff.

Jackman and Craig play two Chicago cops, best friends forever. Craig's Joey is a single, alcoholic, lonely guy. Jackman's Denny is married with kids, the kind of guy who always seems to be taking care of everyone around him.

The characters tell their story about an incident the author based on a true story of two Chicago cops who unknowingly returned a young Vietnamese boy they found on the streets to serial killer Jeffrey Dahlmer, who claimed to be related to the boy. Dahlmer later killed the boy.

The actors are both quite good in their roles, and both characters are not what they appear to be in the beginning. Their friendship and partnership change during the course of the play, which is a tight 90 minute show. The audience slowly learns the truth about these two men, as events spiral out of their control.

This is more an actor's play than a writer's play, set up to showcase two fine performers, who more than give the audience their money's worth.
Their Chicago accents are perfect, and I was there at a matinee during preview performances when a cell phone rang during the show and Craig, in character, told the person to go ahead and answer the phone, we'd wait. This happened at more than one show, and someone actually videoed Jackman yelling at someone and it ended up on YouTube. It's a clever way to deal with this problem which I have seen repeatedly at Broadway shows. Even more annoying are the people who leave the phones on vibrate- WE CAN STILL HEAR IT- TURN IT OFF!

Now that I have that off my chest, go see A Steady Rain for the strong performances by two of Hollywood's hunkiest leading men. They are not difficult to stare at for an hour and a half.

http://bookchickdi.blogspot.com/2009/11 ... swoon.html

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Ladies - its getting hotter by the day - They will do a real strip for sure on the 6th. :lol:
Was there again last night, too. Always the best $29 I spend in one place (for SR).

This time, a woman down front waved several dollar bills. Hugh crouched, held out the waist of his pants, took the money and plopped it in that inner sanctum; he had DC do the same. The audience just ate it up. A smart move, actually. Their Chippendales moment got the crowd juiced up and enthusiastic as bidding started for the T-shirts, which this time went for $5,000 each.
At the end of the day - by now, I would pay a tickets price just to see the auction.

Corellianjedi2

Post by Corellianjedi2 »

Germangirl wrote:Ladies - its getting hotter by the day - They will do a real strip for sure on the 6th. :lol:
Was there again last night, too. Always the best $29 I spend in one place (for SR).

This time, a woman down front waved several dollar bills. Hugh crouched, held out the waist of his pants, took the money and plopped it in that inner sanctum; he had DC do the same. The audience just ate it up. A smart move, actually. Their Chippendales moment got the crowd juiced up and enthusiastic as bidding started for the T-shirts, which this time went for $5,000 each.
At the end of the day - by now, I would pay a tickets price just to see the auction.
You can go into the auction for free most of the time (though I'm guessing if too many people do it, they'll eventually stop letting extras in).
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Now this was bound to be a magical evening and it was. I am not sure if it was the fantastic well acted and intense play that this is, or if it was the two leads auctioning off their shirts at the end of the show. Tough choice!
It was a challenge to get a decent ticket for this. Not the least because Ticketmaster (the ticket company selling the tickets) gives American Express creditcard holders a chance to buy tickets one week before all others. A very irritating gesture for all other people wanting to have a ticket.
So at the day the left over tickets became available I went to through all performance days until I found a ticket that wasn’t in the back of the theatre. And I fond one, for the 19th of November.
Needless to say that tickets for this show are immensely popular (when will you ever have a chance to see James Bond and Wolverine on stage together again?). And while it seemed that most of the Americans seemed to be there for Hugh Jackman, I certainly had nothing against watching Daniel Craig too.
Both actors played Chicago cops, best friends, in good and in very bad. It was a very naked staged, two chairs, a little bit of background and one and a half hour of intense acting. (There wasn’t an interval, which was great).
I admit that I was just interested to see those two men without really caring about the play – but the play was absolutely gripping. It took a little time to get used to the Chicago accents with which both actors speak, and it did take a little more time to get used to Daniel Craig’s moustache, but I was drawn into this intense story very quickly and forgot all about insignificant details like that.
All I can say is that if you are lucky enough to have scored a ticket, you have something to look forward too.
When I saw Bill Nighy in the Music Box theatre in 2007 (which was just opposite the Schoenfeld theatre as you can see on the photo), after the play the actors would come out and sign tickets and Playbill programs after the play. I can only imagine the mess it would create if Craig and Jackman would do this. They were fully aware of this too, and decided to use their stardom to support charity. This meant that you could buy signed posters and Playbills in stead (for quite a spicey price I must say), and to raise even more money, they took off their outer shirt (big approval from the audience!) and offered to sell their under shirt to the public. The shirt would be signed, and you would have a chance to briefly meet them backstage. The two shirts went for $12000!
Live is good in New York. A little bit of (steady) rain yesterday (nothing more than appropiate) but today the sun is out. I am just checking the lastest emails, try to not be too worried that there aren’t any concrete job related ones, and then I am off to Coney Island for some sun, sea and fresh air.
http://www.thegirlinthecafe.com/2009/11 ... -new-york/

calypso

Post by calypso »

i steal :twisted:
http://pbray.livejournal.com/242738.html
Pretty, pretty boys
Yesterday, jpsorrow, Tom and I went down to New York City, where we had dinner at Bar Americain, then saw Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman in A STEADY RAIN. Dinner was very nice, and the play was amazing. The actors were so in character that they didn't distract from the story (though as a crime/forensic junkie, one reveal wasn't a reveal to me because the minute they started describing the situation I knew exactly how it was going to turn out.) It was only at the end of the show, as Daniel and Hugh started taking off their shirts so they could auction their t-shirts off for charity, that we once again paid attention to the fact that these were indeed very pretty boys.

The actors complimented the audience for our discipline (not a single ringing cell phone,) and the auction set a record for the show (11K was the previous record, but last night they got up to 20K, with two determined bidders finally agreeing that they'd each pay 10K, and each get two autographed shirts, plus the opportunity to hang out backstage with Daniel and Hugh and have their photographs taken.)

Comments:
2009-11-21 04:53 pm UTC (link)
I don't know if my brain could process having that much sexxy on a stage at one time.

pbray
2009-11-21 04:57 pm UTC (link)
Josh agreed, and had his checkbook ready to bid on quality time backstage, but alas he was outbid.

libwitch
2009-11-21 05:09 pm UTC (link)
Alas, poor Josh. I feel his pain.

jpsorrow
2009-11-21 11:59 pm UTC (link)
I'm still in pain. We should have gone for the signed picture backstage!

pbray
2009-11-22 02:40 am UTC (link)
If we'd been smart, we would have pooled our money and seen if they'd let us both get a picture since we were a couple.

Or a triple, depending on how the menage was working....

suricattus
2009-11-21 05:25 pm UTC (link)
damn, we didn't get an auction (probably just as well, considering the state of my finances).

Wasn't it such a wonderfully done play? Pfffffht to the NYT critics.

jpsorrow
2009-11-21 11:58 pm UTC (link)
I thought it was great.

pbray
2009-11-22 02:37 am UTC (link)
Pfffft indeed!

The auction was great-- I really wanted to be the woman sitting in the front row who was one of the high bidders-- when she was briefly wavering, Hugh casually came over to the edge of the stage, knelt down, and took her hands in his. Needless to say, a few seconds later he stood up to announce "We're now up to ten thousand..."
ImageImage