Betrayal - member and critics reviews.

This is the place to discuss all of Mr. Craig's work on stage.

Moderator: Germangirl

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

So I finally saw it yesterday evening.

First of all, you appreciate Pinter or you don't.

I did. It's a very angry bit of writing despite the fact that there are some funny scenes and pieces of dialogue.

And because it's a angry bit of writing I think he chose the correct role. He's boiling with rage under the surface and he's not overdoing it. It's perfect.
You could feel his anger and you could see it in his eyes and in the firm set of his jaw (if you were close enough, though, we were I just have to rub it in ) :twisted:

Rachel is beautiful and I have to say the 70s clothes look better on her as in the pictures. IMO she was ok, but definetifly not the star of the play.
Rafe was good but I thought he was overdoing it a bit. Not in the sense of overacting, because I think that's the way Nichols wanted to see Jerry but sometimes he almost acted like a comedian and that role would have been so wrong for Daniel.
Daniel did what he does best, the smoldering emotions just under the calm facade. As an audience you can sense all those emotions, there's no need that they are thrown into your face.

Perfect way to spend an evening!

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

I agree 100 % with Dunda.

I was not really familiar with Pinter's work, but now I'm very interested in checking out more.

And though Rafe did spit quite a bit in one scene, and though we were in the first row, he did not spit on us. :lol:
Crazy!
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Thanks, so pleased you both enjoyed it. :D
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Dunda wrote:So I finally saw it yesterday evening.

I did. It's a very angry bit of writing despite the fact that there are some funny scenes and pieces of dialogue.

And because it's a angry bit of writing I think he chose the correct role. He's boiling with rage under the surface and he's not overdoing it. It's perfect.
You could feel his anger and you could see it in his eyes and in the firm set of his jaw (if you were close enough, though, we were I just have to rub it in ) :twisted:

Rachel is beautiful and I have to say the 70s clothes look better on her as in the pictures. IMO she was ok, but definetifly not the star of the play.
Rafe was good but I thought he was overdoing it a bit. Not in the sense of overacting, because I think that's the way Nichols wanted to see Jerry but sometimes he almost acted like a comedian and that role would have been so wrong for Daniel.
Daniel did what he does best, the smoldering emotions just under the calm facade. As an audience you can sense all those emotions, there's no need that they are thrown into your face.

A great 17.777 post :wink: I just told sf, that I will squeeze out every bit of information once I can lay my hands on you again :twisted: Beware :lol:

Have a great last day and a save trip home.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Oh wow :sigh: How I wish I could see it. But I love your reasons for it being the right part for him - they make perfect sense.
So pleased you enjoyed it and had a wonderful evening. :D
Alina

Post by Alina »

Thanks, Dunda, I'm glad that you enjoyed the play and that Daniel was so good. I also think Robert is the role better suited for Daniel than Jerry. I love your description of his acting, I can visualize him on stage and would die to see him live in this role - the suppressed, simmering anger, violence, hidden emotions - must have been a feast for the eyes.

The only thing that is somewhat wrong here is that I can't imagine ANY woman to even think of having an affair while being married to Daniel. NO WAY.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

That's what the tweets and some say - in that respect its the wrong role, as Rafe doesn't have the IT factor.But obviously makes up for it with good acting. :wink:

I am sure, there ARE men, women would and do prefer over Daniel but Rafe isn't one of them, so yes, this is weird. In a way, its all about acting and not looks. This is, why Daniel made it as Bond. He doesn't look like people envisioned Bond, but sure as hell, he acts like Bond. So he succeeded.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Alina

Post by Alina »

Yes, there are women who'd prefer other men over Daniel, but those women wouldn't marry him, would they? I rather referred to a situation when a woman is actually married to Daniel, like in the play - cheating on him seems simply unrealistic, let alone Rafe.

As far as Bond is concerned, well he does not look like previous Bond actors, but you are right - he simply is Bond. And acting wise he's better than all of them, imo.
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Ah, but Emma isn't married to Daniel, is she? She's married to a man who looks just like him but hits her and is unfaithful himself. Which isn't the same thing at all...
If I was married to Daniel, I would keep him in my bed so much he wouldn't have the energy to be unfaithful :wink:
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Alina wrote:The only thing that is somewhat wrong here is that I can't imagine ANY woman to even think of having an affair while being married to Daniel. NO WAY.
The only reason is that hair :lol: :lol:

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Dunda wrote:
Alina wrote:The only thing that is somewhat wrong here is that I can't imagine ANY woman to even think of having an affair while being married to Daniel. NO WAY.
:tongue:

But thanks for the review! But tell us more!!! Did he try to get into Rachel's pants or is that permanently out of the play now? Was there a standing O? Did Daniel look like you thought he would? It was so nice hearing his actual accent. They sure make a gorgeous couple, don't they? I liked the play, but it took me more than once to really watch and absorb it. I was too focused on the testosterone that is Daniel.
caramel

Post by caramel »

Dunda wrote:
:rotfl: Totally! Thank God for that red hat he has been sporting, Bee , I and other like minded folks get a respite... :lol:
He needs that beanie on his head permanently now.
Dunda wrote:So I finally saw it yesterday evening.

You could feel his anger and you could see it in his eyes and in the firm set of his jaw
(if you were close enough, though, we were I just have to rub it in ) :twisted:

Wonderful! I am glad you are unequivocal in saying he chose the better role. He knows what he is doing ;)

Good that you enjoyed the play, Dunda :D
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

sf2la wrote: But thanks for the review! But tell us more!!! Did he try to get into Rachel's pants or is that permanently out of the play now?
What do you mean? The scene on the couch? Well they were just making out :lol:
The scene Rachel has with Rafe was more risky :lol:
They are actors after all.
sf2la wrote: Was there a standing O?
Some people stood, some not.
sf2la wrote: Did Daniel look like you thought he would? It was so nice hearing his actual accent. They sure make a gorgeous couple, don't they?
Yes, he did. I was actually aware that he would have that long hair and I don't like it at all. But it didn't bother me, because it fits the time frame of the play and I think the clothes they were on stage look much better in reality than on the pics.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

When is the flight back?

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Germangirl wrote:When is the flight back?
in about 6.5 hours.