DC in Ed Zwick's DEFIANCE

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Fantastic read
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

:P Utter delight !
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

The 25 Movies You Need to See Before Oscar Night

''Benjamin Button,'' ''Slumdog Millionaire,'' ''Doubt,'' and more are on the list that will help you prepare for the Feb. 22 ceremony

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Slumdog Millionaire
Milk
Frost/Nixon
The Dark Knight
Doubt
Revolutionary Road
WALL-E
The Wrestler
Gran Torino
The Reader
Rachel Getting Married
Changeling
Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Tropic Thunder
Happy-Go-Lucky
The Visitor
I've Loved You So Long
Frozen River
Nothing But the Truth
Man on Wire
Synecdoche, New York
The Duchess
Defiance
Australia

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20249522,00.html
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

advicky wrote:Premiere of “Defiance” with participation of Belarusian James Bond
thanks for this great read!
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

"in agony" yes. :!:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Daniel Craig ('Defiance')
Saturday, January 10 2009, 06:00 GMT
By Stella Papamichael

Before his crowning as James Bond, actor Daniel Craig was best known for his stage work and critically acclaimed indie films like The Mother and Enduring Love. Coming hot on the heels of his second 007 film, World War II drama Defiance is another modestly-budgeted but ambitious story. Under the direction of Ed Zwick, he stars as a Jewish man who, along with his brothers played by Liev Schreiber and Jamie Bell, builds a resistance movement in the freezing Belorussian woodland during World War II. Talking to DS, Craig reveals why the spectre of James Bond is never far away and how the icy conditions in Lithuania helped the cast to get up close and personal…

You must get offered a huge number of scripts since becoming James Bond. Are you more careful about the roles you choose outside of that?
"I don't think anything has really changed in that respect. I do get more offers, or at least I get to see more scripts, but they're just as crap as they were before. I mean there are only so many good scripts out there, genuinely, so you have to sort of riffle through all of them and go through that whole process. If anything I suppose it's even harder because instead of four scripts you've got eight scripts and I have to read more, which is obviously a bore!"

This character Tuvia Bielski, a bit like Bond, has a lot of repressed rage, doesn't he?
"I know, but I'll never choose a role because of another role. Genuinely this came along and I read it and just went, 'I want to make this movie.' It's a story I want to tell. And it's also something that fascinated me because, well, for obvious reasons really, but I never look at something and say, 'Oh, it's a bit similar to this or it's a bit like this.'"

It's been said this is your second 'Jew fighting back' role since Munich…
"Hey, it's a career and that's all I can say! Again, this might sound naïve but that didn't bother me. I mean of course I looked at it and thought, 'Well there's Munich and people will look at that and maybe compare that…' But again, if I went through my life trying to 'construct' my career I would lose all of the inspiration. I was inspired by this story and hopefully I will continue to be inspired by stories. I mean I'm not actively looking for another Jewish freedom fighter, but you never know. Maybe a very old one?"

Has Bond given you the power to green-light films like this which might be a tougher sell?
"Well, you'd think that but I tell you this was a real f**king struggle. I mean we couldn't get this made in the States. I mean it [Bond] helped, it definitely helped… I think if I'd picked a rather nice romantic comedy then it would have been easier to raise the money for it. But this is a tough storyline and thank God for Paramount Vantage who stepped in to help, but we came to Europe for the money. Thankfully, European sales and worldwide sales on Bond have been fairly healthy so we managed to get some money… Hopefully I can continue to use that [power] positively and productively as opposed to wasting it. I'll try."

You had members of the Bielski family visiting the set. Does that put an extra weight of responsibility on your shoulders?
"I suppose it does to a certain degree, but I always have approached acting and filmmaking, therefore [with the attitude that] this is always going to be an interpretation. Obviously Ed Zwick and I sat down and talked for days on end, and I did do with Liev [Schreiber] and Jamie [Bell]. We all talked about what we thought was essential for this story and then you just make this leap of faith. And the leap of faith is that, 'This is what we understand about the story and this is the story we're going to tell and hopefully it will raise a debate.' The Bielskis have been to see the film, and they reacted very well to it. I'm glad that happened, but you can't have that on your head while you're shooting a movie. You've got to be strong about your opinions."

You're no stranger to physical roles, but how did you cope with the outdoor shoot?
"Lots of alcohol! The weird thing was that I was filming this - and when we finished it was just at the beginning of November or the end of October - and we were starting Bond in January and I had to start trying to get into shape. But when it's freezing cold outside you have to eat and you have to drink and so I, uh, well I didn't... No, you know what? It got cold, but in fact this is about as cold it got and this is, like, rather a beautiful today compared to the way it could be [in Lithuania]. We had flurries of snow, but the worst thing that could've happened is the rain, and it rained for a little bit, and because we were filming on slopes and there was heavy camera equipment and things, it could've got really dangerous. But we got through."

Did being out there in the freezing woods encourage a bit of male bonding...?
"Ah, like one of those things where we hit each other with twigs!? You know we did that, but no! Um. It definitely had an effect. All I can say is that, we didn't sleep rough, and we didn't sleep out. I went home every night. We were there twelve hours a day, we were there six days a week and it got f**king cold, but there was something about that experience. Nobody did this movie for money and that includes the crew - and we had a top-notch crew on this and everybody stuck around on set. We had Lithuanian actors, we had British actors and American actors, and the crew, and we all just huddled around and while the film was being made we were all involved with it. So there was male and female bonding going on but not in that way! Apparently."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a140 ... iance.html
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

and we were starting Bond in January and I had to start trying to get into shape. But when it's freezing cold outside you have to eat and you have to drink and so I, uh, well I didn't...
What discipline. It works well for the movie, as he looks rather thin in the face and the lightning really enhances the stress and exhaustion on all their faces. I mean, they shouldn´t look like Hollywood heros...rather like normal humans, who are in a terrible situation..well done.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Lovely read, thanks GG
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Aragorn wrote:Lovely read, thanks GG
Welcome :D

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

thank you GG :D
advicky

Post by advicky »

Craig is down to earth, says Schreiber

Liev Schreiber and Daniel Craig got “really silly” on the set of new movie Defiance, femalefirst.co.uk reports.

Liev admits he was surprised by how down to earth Daniel was, adding the pair — who play Jewish brothers who take refuge in the forest to escape the Nazis during the Second World War — became the best of friends during filming.

He said: “I was really impressed that Daniel Craig was this major motion picture star who didn’t go to his trailer in between takes. I’m accustomed to that with A-list actors. They go to their trailer and then we all wait for them to come out. But Daniel didn’t. He sat with us and told stories and we had snowball fights and we bonded. Actually we got really silly. We spent a lot of time being silly.”

The 41-year-old actor also revealed the pair bonded over vodka, as consuming vast amounts of the potent alcoholic beverage was the only way they could stay warm while filming in Lithuania.

http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/enterta ... cle/165273
PhoenixMagicBondGirl

Post by PhoenixMagicBondGirl »

Thanks advicky and GG for those great articles. I find it really interesting in hearing about how and why an actor like Daniel or any other actor for that matter picks the roles they do. It's good to know that there are actors out there who choose these kinds of roles because they feel compelled to tell the story on which the movie was based on/inspired by.
sharmaine

Post by sharmaine »

Thank you Mutti for the articles....

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

:D Welcome everybody

January 11
Tough talk from Liev Schreiber

AMY LONGSDORF For The Times Leader
If you think Liev Schreiber is an unlikely action star, you’re not alone. The Internet is teeming with bloggers angry over the actor’s casting as Sabretooth in “Wolverine,” the upcoming “X-Men” prequel. But Schreiber insists he’s been training for he-man heroics all his life.

In many ways, “Defiance” was the perfect preparation for the action-hero-in-training. The historical drama, based on “Defiance: The Bielski Partisans” by Nechama Tec, required Schreiber to summon a level of ferocity he’s never portrayed on screen before.
The movie begins with the German invasion of Belarus in 1942. Afterward, the Bielski brothers retreated to the region’s deep woods, where they battled back German troops and inadvertently became leaders to other exiles hiding from the Nazis. It’s estimated the Bielskis helped save 1,200 Jews from deportation to the death camps.
Schreiber says that even before the Germans arrived, the Bielskis were tough customers.
“There’s a story about a neighbor who let his goat under a fence to graze in their pasture and the two brothers went over to the guy and beat him within an inch of his life,” Schreiber says. “They were already formidable and aggressive and violent people.”
Not surprising, the Bielskis handed out even rougher punishment to villagers who sold info to the Nazis. “If they found out someone collaborated with the local police, they would decapitate them and put their heads on sticks in the town square,” Schreiber notes.
Occasionally, the brothers became violent with each other. As depicted in the film, Craig’s more measured approach to survival clashes with Schreiber’s all-consuming vengeance. The result is a knock-down, drag-out tussle between the two.
“Daniel and I loved it,” Schreiber says. “We both felt the fight scene was crucial so we very much wanted to come up with a great sequence that also had some emotional impact to it. It was really a treat working with Daniel because I think from the Bond movies, he’s so facile and so athletic.
“Every day we’d come back from a day’s work in the freezing forest of Vilnius, and we’d start rehearsing the fight. ‘You can hit me here and I hit you there. Just don’t punch me in the nuts.’ ”
“Defiance” was shot in Lithuania, about 100 miles from where the actual events transpired. The frigid temps and lack of comfy lodging made it easier for Schreiber to slip into the skin of a hard-boiled survivor.

“I think the cold really helped me,” he says. “It helped me discover little things that added credibility to (the movie), like my hands shaking when I tried to load a gun. We were really shivering, not just acting it.”
Shooting deep in the woods also allowed Bell, Craig and Schreiber to form a more intense brotherly bond.
“We couldn’t get the trailers close enough to the set, so we would all just sit around in a group,” he recalls. “We huddled together and drank tea and told stories and goofed off. That created a real sense of community. The movie was a great experience for me.”
http://www.timesleader.com/features/Tou ... -2009.html

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Kline said she is planning to attend the red carpet premiere of "Defiance" on Jan. 12 in New York.
"How many chances do you get to do something like this?" she said.
Contact Clare Marie Celano http://examiner.gmnews.com/news/2008/12 ... e/024.html

Does anybody knows, if this is actually taking place?