Interesting factoids

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Anglophile

Interesting factoids

Post by Anglophile »

While I was looking for something else I stumbled upon two little articles that I think are worth sharing:

Daniel Craig was born in Chester and grew up in Hoylake, Wirral.He was a reluctant star and had to be forced to audition for his first school play, his former drama teacher said. Brenda Davies was working at Hilbre High School when 'Danny' Craig walked into a casting session for a production of Oliver in 1981.She said "Danny had tagged along with a friend who was auditioning for a part in Oliver. He just wanted to stay to watch his friend, and had no interest in auditioning. But I told him he could only stay if he auditioned too."He was adamant he wouldn't and my jaw nearly hit the floor when he eventually got up on the stage.
"He had such timing and range, and he had stage presence for a 13-year-old. But if you'd asked me then if we'd had the next Bond on our hands - I could only have told you then he had the potential."Craig left Wirral and went to London at the age of 16.

http://www.hoylakegolfopen.co.uk/id19.html

EXCLUSIVE: POTATOHEAD WASN'T COOL
By Claire Donnelly And Nick Webster 15/10/2005

AS HE drank champagne to celebrate landing the most iconic role in cinema, Daniel Craig will have felt regret that the grandfather who encouraged his acting dream was not there to share the moment.

The new James Bond star was devastated when Olwyn Williams died this year at 96.

Daniel's dad Tim Wroughton-Craig said yesterday: "I think it's still painful for him."

As a child Daniel spent holidays with Olwyn and his gran Doris and it was on a cruise with them to the Norwegian fjords that he put on one of his first performances.

The eight-year-old devised, wrote and staged a show. :shock:

It was clear to the passengers that he had acting talent. But his friends - who still call him Mr Potatohead - never thought he would grow up to play Bond.

Anthony Lewis, 38, whose aunt Shirley became Tim's second wife in the early 70s, said: "Bond was something we knew about but never got to see. We wanted to watch but we were too young."

Anthony, of Manley, Cheshire, said: "He was always gangly, with a pudding bowl haircut, not what you'd call cool. His hair was so blond it was almost white.

"Danny used to stay with us. Sometimes we had to share a bed so now I can say I've slept with James Bond."

Dad Tim, 62, who lives in Shropshire with third wife Kirstin, said: "I've never been a Bond fan.

"I'm delighted for him. He is a fantastic actor and he deserves all his success. It's great to see him doing so well. I see him as a rather dangerous Bond - he'll bring a dark menace to the role." Brenda Davies, Daniel's drama teacher at Hilbre High School in West Kirby, Cheshire, recalls Craig walking into a casting session for a production of Oliver in 1981.

Brenda, 61, said: "My jaw nearly hit the floor when he got up on stage. He had such timing and range and he had stage presence for a 13-year-old. I thought 'What have we here?' "

Daniel joined the National Youth Theatre in 1985. Edward Wilson, then artistic director, says: "He showed exceptional promise."

FIVE years later he won a place at the Guildhall drama school in London.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objecti ... _page.html
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
sarahat

Post by sarahat »

Wow!!! That's really cool x)

Lol.. Mr. Potatohead.

Lol, I'd love to see pics of him when he was a kid. xD
ImageImageImageImage
R.I.P Steve Irwin.
sarahat

Post by sarahat »

HOLY CRAP. Did he really have THAT LONG of hair?? xD bahahahhah.[/img]
ImageImageImageImage
R.I.P Steve Irwin.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

sarahat wrote:Image

HOLY CRAP. Did he really have THAT LONG of hair?? xD bahahahhah.[/img]
Yep, it's from Our Friends in the North.
Have you seen it?
I have started to watch it, but it is a little bit exhausting without subtitles and the whole series lasts about 10 hours.
I hope I'll find the time soon [-o<
shopper12

Post by shopper12 »

I really can't see the resemblance to Mr. Potato Head. Maybe that's because I've been staring at gorgeous pics for so long, I don't know. :)

I knew that he was shy; although other articles (and himself) have said that 'he always wanted to be an actor'. I think once he was bitten by the acting bug that's all the wanted to do.

He also used to go with his mother to the local theatre (the Playhouse? I can't remember the name), so he was always really interested.

And finally, I love it when you hear stories about people who follow their dreams - DC left the Wirral to go to London at 16, and personally I could never do that. I have drive and determination but I find things like that amazing.
Dunda
Administrator

Re: Interesting factoids

Post by Dunda »

Girls,

Brenda Davis deserves a medal for forcing Daniel to do the auditioning by telling him that that's the only way to stay with his friend. =D>
yochan

Post by yochan »

Dunda wrote:Girls,

Brenda Davis deserves a medal for forcing Daniel to do the auditioning by telling him that that's the only way to stay with his friend. =D>
Yes, she does!! And it was her mission given by Destiny.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Yochan,

just realized the H-tatoo on Daniels hip at your avatar :wink:
Very nice location for a tatoo. :twisted: :twisted:
mickey01

Post by mickey01 »

Hi everyone,

Those are really nice articles!

I know exactly how he feels about losing his grandfather and not being able to share in his great achievements with him. I was in exactly the same situation. I come from a very large extended family and have 20 cousins that are older than me and at least 50 younger (plus around 50 to 60 second cousins at least - we lose count often!) but out of all of us I was the first to graduate University with a degree, and be able to put letters after my name LOL. My mum told me that my grandfather would have been very proud but never got to see me achieve it because he died years before. I went to his grave after I graduated and told him what I had done so I hope he knows, just wish he could have seen it for himself.

Obviously thats not as big as getting the role of Bond and I didn't want to turn something that happend to DC into something about me but wanted to share that with you all.

I have some pictures saved on my PC of Daniel acting in school plays - hes probably aged between 15 and 17 and one of him from primary school but they are watermarked so I don't think I can upload them to the gallery to post here :?

TTFN x
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

mickey01 wrote: I know exactly how he feels about losing his grandfather and not being able to share in his great achievements with him. I was in exactly the same situation. I come from a very large extended family and have 20 cousins that are older than me and at least 50 younger (plus around 50 to 60 second cousins at least - we lose count often!) but out of all of us I was the first to graduate University with a degree, and be able to put letters after my name LOL. My mum told me that my grandfather would have been very proud but never got to see me achieve it because he died years before. I went to his grave after I graduated and told him what I had done so I hope he knows, just wish he could have seen it for himself.
I know that quite well...I have quite many cousins as well, and I'm the first one who will achieve the Abitur (German high school diploma)...as my granddad has been of poor health for years, none of my family thought that he would see my Abitur certificate...but now, all exams are done and he's still alive - he only has to keep up until the end of June when I'll get the certificate :D (sorry if this sounds a bit sarcastic, but it's the way he feels!) I know he'll be very proud of me and I really want him to live to see it :)
yochan

Post by yochan »

Dunda wrote:Yochan,

Yeah, and the letter H of that tatoo was rumored to Heike's initial before.
If I were his girl friend, everytime I see it while making love, I would get some bitter feeling.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

yochan wrote:

Yeah, and the letter H of that tatoo was rumored to Heike's initial before.
If I were his girl friend, everytime I see it while making love, I would get some bitter feeling.
haha...well, I wouldn't - of course I would know that it wasn't 'my' H, but still - it's H :wink:
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

shopper12 wrote:I knew that he was shy; although other articles (and himself) have said that 'he always wanted to be an actor'. I think once he was bitten by the acting bug that's all the wanted to do.
You know, when I read what his drama teacher said I thought, wouldn't that be sort of typical for that age? As a little kid you have a dream and you just go ahead and do it, and then once you reach puberty, you suddenly develop all kinds of inhibitions, especially if you want something so badly that you are afraid to actually do it for fear it could go wrong?
Really, I could kiss that woman's feet for making him get his little butt on stage that day. =D>
Last edited by Anglophile on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
HappyAppy04

Post by HappyAppy04 »

So *that's* the H-tattoo! I've read all about this but haven't seen it before (I'm sure it's in the gallery and I'm too daffy to find it).

Very nice location indeed :twisted:
http://shutupfilter.blogspot.com/

"What's money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do." ~ Bob Dylan
Marisa

Post by Marisa »

Anglophile, great articles :D. I wonder why friends called him Mr. Potato head? I was lucky I nerver got any nicknames like that growing up! I think is more common among boys.

I had not noticed the H on his hip (so sexy!), and you're right Hanna, it doesn't matter who he put it there for, you can always fantasize that it was for you!

yochan wrote:
Dunda wrote:Girls,

Yes, she does!! And it was her mission given by Destiny.
I like your statement, Yochan. In complete agreement! :D
~Marisa

Yes, considerably