Daniel Craig Joins Steven Spielberg's Tintin

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Mariah

Daniel Craig Joins Steven Spielberg's Tintin

Post by Mariah »

Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures Entertainment today announced the start of principal photography on the 3D motion capture feature The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn , directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Jamie Bell and Daniel Craig. The full press release: Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures Entertainment have announced the start of principal production in Los Angeles on the 3D Motion Capture Film "The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn," directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Jamie Bell ("Billy Elliot," "Defiance") as Tintin, the intrepid young reporter whose relentless pursuit of a good story thrusts him into a world of high adventure, and Daniel Craig ("Quantum of Solace," "Defiance") as the nefarious Red Rackham.

Bell and Craig are joined by an international cast that includes Andy Serkis, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Gad Elmaleh, Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook.

The rest is at the source
"I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me. Whatever is left of me - whatever is left of me - whatever I am - I'm yours."
Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

OMG NO WAY. Woohoo!!!! Tintin is such a great comic, I am so, SO stoked for this :lol:
Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

Also on another note: The Secret of the Unicorn is super cool, and the Rackham character is a totally radical meany of a pirate...just oh my goodness I'm so excited that I had to post twice lol!
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

This is so great news. I have always been a Tintin fan.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

could we see a picture of the pirate?
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

DC voiced a character in the animated noir feature Renaissance, but the character didn't look like DC or move like DC.

We'll be able to recognize DC's swagger in this motion-capture pirate character. But will the character's face actually look like DC, too? I'm not sure if I'll like DC with a pointed goatee and that mustache.
Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

They'll probably get his personal expressions but I'm assuming that they're sticking with the original character's facial features. Could be wrong though :wink:

Also if anyone's interested this is part where DC's character comes in, quite a character huh? :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkT3GySs ... re=related
cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

Some musings:

Funny how he led us down a path when he said he was just planning a holiday and didn't have any work lined up. Do deals come up that fast?

Tintin is being described as a franchise with possible sequels, but Red Rackham dies in this story, so for DC, it's a one-shot deal.

He has said that he won't do roles requiring him to dress up and play the mandolin, but this pirate's costume looks pretty frilly.

Wonder how long he will be in LA. I hope there will be some photos of them.
PhoenixMagicBondGirl

Post by PhoenixMagicBondGirl »

I've never heard of The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn can someone tell me what this is? Who is Red Rackham? what's his character like? thanks...this is great news :)
Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Could the 3D stuff be for the special effects and not the actors ?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Jamie Bell Is Tintin, Daniel Craig The Villain
By Katey Rich: 2009-01-26 15:02:48
ShareThis

When I interviewed Andy Serkis last week and he mentioned that he would be filming Tintin starting pretty much right now, he couldn't tell me what the movie was called or even who was playing the main character. But now, thanks to a press release sent to Coming Soon, all has been revealed. Steven Spielberg will be directing Jamie Bell as the titular character in The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn, and Defiance co-star Daniel Craig will be joining as the villain Red Rackham.

That's right! Not only did they replace Thomas Sangster in the lead role with the older, more interesting, and more talented Bell, but they've convinced 007 to come along as well. This automatically bodes well for the movie, but there's one more piece of awesome news in the press release: Edgar Wright is co-writing the screenplay with Steven Moffat and Joe Cornish. We probably should have expected it; Wright is a frequent collaborator with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, who will be playing The Thompson Twins in Tintin.

There are still no specific details about the plot, but it's probably reasonable to guess the movie will share a plot with The Secret of the Unicorn, a collection of Tintin comic strips that includes the Rackham character. The Wikipedia entry on the book indicates Tintin spends most of the time listening to his buddy Captain Haddock (Serkis) tell a story about pirates, but there's a sequel, Red Rackham's Treasure, that might give Tintin more to do.

You can check out the entire press release at Coming Soon, and don't forget to be excited that this project is finally getting started. It feels like it's been forever, right?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Jamie-Be ... 11740.html

Here are some musings from CBN folks

And, no, Craig won't be returning for any more Tintin films (unless, of course, he plays someone else). Red Rackham appears only in this story (and even then only in flashback, since his character died decades before "the present day").
Well this is odd then. Craig showing up for what is basically a flashback cameo, yet the press release has worded it so that he's The Villain of the film. I wonder if his role has been beefed up or if they've changed the part to a modern day pirate...hmm, do we know what time period this film is going to be set in, anyway?
I'm a little confused as to how Red Rackham merits such a big star as Craig (which he now surely is)? It's a tiny almost insignificant role in the story...
It may be that Red Rackham's part has been beefed up, but I'm guessing it's only a small role that Craig is doing for fun and as a bit of a favour to his old buddy Spielberg (oh, and for a small amount of cash, too, of course!).
The reason why this movie is not live-action is that Herge, the author of Tintin who passed away in 1983, was never a big fan of the previous live-action Tintin films. Spielberg and Jackson want to create a unique Tintin universe without losing the Herge-style.

And for those who think this will be a kids film? Think again. Tintin is for everyone between the ages of 7 and 77 ... and beyond!

Spoiler

Daniel as Red Rackham? Sounds like this will be a cameo role as the character appears on only a few pages of The secret of the Unicorn comic book when Captin Haddock is recounting to Tintin the story of how his ancestor Sir Francis Haddock (who looks just like him) had his galleon the Unicorn is boarded by a pirate ship belonging to Red Rackham. They all have a fight and the pirates win, killing all of Haddocks crew and knocking him out, when he awakes he finds himself tied up in the hold. Red Rackham takes over the Unicorn and fills it with his stolen treasure, sailing it to a tropical island, all the crew have a party, Haddock escapes and kills Red Rackham in a sword fight and blows up the Unicorn along with the pirates and treasure and rows to the island. Red Rackham looks nothing like Daniel Craig as he is very Spanish looking (the Bolivian Chief of Police from QOS is far closer to the image)...ah well I guess it won't be long till we hear from Craignotrackham.com :lol:

My guess is, that Daniel will be pretty unrecognizable :lol:

Here is a link for the polar Express with Tom Hanks, that was done - as Elaine said - as a motion capture film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVfB6GhlwIM
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

joysky

Post by joysky »

Tintin maybe a little strange for a young Chinese girl but I really expect to see that Daniel will star a villain in drama :wink:
☆★☆★☆★Daniel Craig☆★☆★☆★
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

OMG, Tin Tin??? I don't know this particular story but is this on a par with his GC role?