JACKMAN, CRAIG TO TAKE B'WAY BY STORM

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Vesper Lynd 007

Post by Vesper Lynd 007 »

Dunda wrote:I couldn't resist :lol: :lol: :lol:
I can imagine :lol: :lol: :lol:. Fantastic :lol:.
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

Great news! Happy for those who will be lucky to attend! Waiting for more news!

1 question. Will this be a new version of the play and will it involve musical pieces ? I understood that it's a traditional drama with 2 persons on stage but Broadway is known for musicals. Bit confused...
I really hope it will not be a musical.
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

A wet dream come true :twisted: :twisted:
"Hanging on your words, living on your breath, feeling with your skin"
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

Elvenstar wrote:Great news! Happy for those who will be lucky to attend! Waiting for more news!

1 question. Will this be a new version of the play and will it involve musical pieces ? I understood that it's a traditional drama with 2 persons on stage but Broadway is known for musicals. Bit confused...
I really hope it will not be a musical.
I'm pretty confident this will not be a musical. Broadway is known for all types of theatre, serious and light.
Crazy!
Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

Who will Craig play....the rasict Denny or the Alcholic Joey?
I think Joey is a beter role, but Denny has more stage time......
Do we know yet? Surely when Hugh signs up, which i guess is pretty soon now we'll get an official annoucement, hopefully these guys will have a good enough time together they'll bring it to the West End.
mermayd

Post by mermayd »

Pity they're not doing "The Fully Monty"

whoo!
Linda

Post by Linda »

Dunda wrote:I couldn't resist :lol: :lol: :lol:

source: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... craig.html
This is a good one. This might be as close to the play as some of us will get to. Sure wish I lived close to NY.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

I'm pleased he's doing this, but was hoping that the BB dinner sighting at Nobu was an indicator that Bond was ramping up again, but alas not to be. Theatre is wonderful, but only a lucky few will get to see him.
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

And it's about to get even hotter, when Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig step out together.

"You know, Hugh Jackman is a Broadway boy. And then add Daniel Craig, 'Mr. Bond' himself, will be an amazing pairing," Martin said.

An amazing pairing that many think will break all records, even after a record-breaking year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/05/ ... 5867.shtml
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

bumblebee wrote:I'm pleased he's doing this, but was hoping that the BB dinner sighting at Nobu was an indicator that Bond was ramping up again, but alas not to be. Theatre is wonderful, but only a lucky few will get to see him.
I don´t see the Bond topic so negative, BB. They have started and confirmed DC and I am sure, they will play the Media game very well with this one, which means we will get updates often enough. I am sure, they will take care, that people stay interested and will hype it up really well.. :D Maybe even summer 2011, although that might be a bit crowded... :wink:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

Germangirl wrote:Keith Huff on his play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJRYFVmqwk

Its interesting, that they speak of the aspect of bringing it to NY with stars, of what Huff isn´t very keen, but he has sold the rights...He says, there would be no advanced sales, going with the Chicago actors, since nobody knows them. Well - problem solved, I´d say. He can´t be disappointed by any means.
Seems two guys are sitting across each other and talk - that´s it. LOVE IT.
It's interesting to surmise how this play got to DC, or how DC got attached to it.

In GG's youtube interview of the playwright Keith Huff, Huff says he sold the rights to some New York producers including Fred Zollo who now owns 50%. Imdb says Fred Zollo is married to Barbara Broccoli (that's a whole other question-topic).

Another tidbit, though probably not significant, is that Fred Zollo produced Angels in America in the U.S. DC did small roles in the original London production of Angels in America in 1993? 1994?

But I suppose the main way DC became connected to the play is the Zollo-Barbara Broccoli connection. Huff said the New York producers (presumably including Fred Zollo) had the play at the Royal George Theater in Chicago where it ran late February 2008 to early June 2008. During one U.S. publicity trip, DC stopped in Chicago. I remember there was speculation why; Commander Bond forum members talked about a possible sneak preview of QoS in Chicago. But during February-June 2008, DC was filming QoS in South America, Austria, Italy, so DC didn't see the play in Chicago.

More likely is the scenario: Fred Zollo tells BB that he has the rights to a relatively new play, a small two-hander, 90 minutes long, getting great reviews, with a conflicted character in a complex relationship and pushed to his limits by circumstantial tragedies spiraling out of control to a cataclysmic end.

Doesn't this Denny character sound like just the kind of tortured soul that DC is drawn to? BB sends the play to DC.

By January 2009, playwright Huff is saying in the last minute of that youtube interview that "it would be cool if Daniel Craig would do it. My wife would be happy."

How BB becomes producer of A Steady Rain, I don't know. But she and DC are in Australia promoting QoS at exactly the week that Hugh Jackman is there promoting "Australia." I can imagine BB figuring that Tony-award-winning Hugh Jackman and Daniel Craig on Broadway would sell a lot of theater tickets. A Steady Rain is not costly to mount; it's not a big costume musical with big sets, big cast. It's basically two characters, monologuing, interspersed with lightning-sparked dialogue, on a set of a table, two chairs, and two coffee cups.

DtD forum members have been discussing how well DC does accents. I'm not sure I could recognize if his Chicago accent "slipped." I'm not from the Midwest U.S. and am not intimately familiar with a Chicago accent. Midwest accents aren't as pronounced and immediately recognizable as Eastern U.S. accents - New York, New Jersey, Boston, Maine.

I think that an actor's lapses in accent becomes a problem when it takes you out of the movie or play or performance. I think it's the same situation that DC has talked about when he talks about doing his own stunts; he says he wants his face in there as much as possible, because seeing a stunt double can take the viewer out of the movie.

But If an actor's performance is riveting and has grabbed you, then you may not even recognize or internally register that an accent has slipped. And we know what kind of performance DC would deliver.
nadine

Post by nadine »

Dunda wrote:

ahhh this is sooo cool :D

ok - i need tix, a flight and a bed in ny ^^
2 of my fav. actors in one play *freakin´out*

Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Germangirl wrote: The more I read about this, the more I see, that it so fits him to a T. Exactly what he is always looking for, whether in film or on stage.
Too many words...? :twisted:
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

JEC57 wrote:Sources say Daniel Craig has already signed on to play a Chicago police officer in a new play called "A Steady Rain," which is set to open after Labor Day.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/ ... fault.aspx
So when exactly is Labor Day?
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~