Broadway discussion turned into "Bye,Bye ASR"

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

Haven't seen any comments about SM at the previews. Even the first night. She's ill, maybe?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

cornell01 wrote:Haven't seen any comments about SM at the previews. Even the first night. She's ill, maybe?
We saw her two days before the first preview well and kicking - don´t think so. Just keeping a low profile, I guess or maybe - for once - he feels more comfortable not seeing her, when concentrating on his lines and everything else.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Zibzabzut wrote:Reading some BWW.com reviews...and they think it's so-so. Granted everyone has a right to their own opinion, but I hope their just been harsh critics and the show is a little better then what some people are describing it as :? :roll:

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmess ... &boardid=1
Interesting that so many people said the script was the problem.

Also satisfying that some of the posters said that Daniel was the better actor. :wink:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Hm - this is surprising - as ALL the twitter posters were raving and that - together with the standing ovations for both shows - makes this sound a bit weird. Don´t know, what to make of it - I mean in Chicago the play was a hit - WITH THIS script and all - all that´s changed is the actors and some akademie award winning people surrounding them. So - how can that all of a sudden turn into a bad show? And the actors are descripted as fine...

I could see it being a problem for people, who are only used to have action tell the story - for THOSE it MUST be boring...
Basically this is 7 people doing 13 posts...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

GG , what acadamy award winning people ? There is drama all the time in NY onl the musicals get more PR . Its previews , that when you are supose to work ut th kinksc. Reviews shouldn't be based on these days . Also someimes viewers might be stuck un seeing/precieveing a film actor in a way thay might not a regular theater actor . I think it will be fine in the end .
Zibzabzut

Post by Zibzabzut »

Exactly Laredo. Like I said before, everyone has a right to their own opinions; if they didn't like it that's fine...but none of them are bashing DC's performance, in fact most of them are saying he's the better of the two...not to shabby for a Broadway debut huh? :wink: Also like I've said before I use to post alot on BWW.com and their are some really great/intellegent people on those boards as well as very rude/catty people too. You just have to ignore the later and appreciate the formers responses.
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

This is so good to hear, that he has now hit his stride and is proving that he can hold his own on Broadway, all in time for that premiere night and all the critics, etc.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Laredo wrote:GG , what acadamy award winning people ? .
Creative Team
KEITH HUFF (Playwright)

Keith Huff is a Resident Playwright at Chicago Dramatists, holds an MFA from the University of Iowa's Playwright's Workshop, and is the recipient of a Jeff Award, a Drama-Logue Award, the Cunningham Prize, the John Gassner Award, the Berrilla Kerr Award, and three Illinois Arts Council Playwriting Fellowships. He has developed plays at The O'Neill Theatre Center National Playwrights Conference, The Public Theater, New York Theatre Workshop, New York Stage and Film, Steppenwolf, Berkeley Rep, The Eureka Theatre, Studio Arena Theatre, Wooly Mammoth, Eye of the Storm, Echo Theatre, Act One/Showtime, Alice's 4th Floor, Florida Studio Theatre, WordBridge Playwrights Laboratory, and Midwest PlayLabs. His plays have been produced Off-Broadway, internationally, and nationally. A STEADY RAIN, developed at the NY Stage and Film Powerhouse Mainstage in 2006, played to critical acclaim during its sold-out 6-week run at Chicago Dramatists in 2007 and received Jeff Awards for New Work and Best Production in 2008. Veteran Broadway/Off-Broadway producers Frank Gero, Ray Gaspard, Jono Gero (Oleanna, Extremities, On Golden Pond, The Miss Firecracker Contest, Les Liaisons Dangereuse, Our Country’s Good) and Tony Award winning producer Fred Zollo (Frozen, Caroline, or Change, Angels in America, the Goat or Who Is Sylvia?, Buried Child, Night Mother, On Golden Pond) mounted an extended commercial run at Chicago’s Royal George Theater earlier this year. Keith’s newest play, Pursued By Happiness, was recently produced at Steppenwolf Theater as part of the First-Look Festival of New Plays. His not-so-new plays, The Bird and Mr. Banks, opened at The Road Theater in LA in January, and Mud People is currently running at Chicago’s Mary-Arrchie Theatre through July 12, 2009. Recent productions of other plays include Dog Stories at Stageworks/Hudson, Deep Blue Sea with CollaborAction at Steppenwolf, Harry's Way and Prosperity at Riverside Theater, Karaoke Night at The Hog at Chicago Dramatists and Bloomington Playwrights Project, and Leon & Joey at The Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Gray City was recently workshopped in Chicago with Premiere Theater and Performance and Chicago Dramatists as well as at American Repertory Theater in Boston. [^]
JOHN CROWLEY (Director)
An award-winning theater director in his native Ireland, John Crowley has also served as associate director for London's Donmar Warehouse. He received a 2005 Tony nomination for his work on The Pillowman. His recent work includes the National Theatre’s original production of The Pillowman, On an Average Day and Macbeth in the West End and The Turn of the Screw for Welsh National Opera. Productions at the Donmar Warehouse include Tales From Hollywood, Juno and the Paycock, The Maids, How I Learned to Drive and Into the Woods. For the National: Fair Ladies at a Game of Poem Cards. For the RSC: Shadows. Other productions include John Hughdy/Tom John and The Blue Macushla for Druid Theatre Company, One for the Road and Phaedra at the Gate Theatre Dublin, True Lines and Double Helix for Bickerstaffe Theatre Company and The Crucible, Asylum! Asylum! and Six Characters in Search of an Author for the Abbey Theatre, Dublin. He made his feature film directorial debut with Intermission (2004), starring Colin Farrell. For his efforts, Crowley won an Irish Film and Television Award for Best Film Director and the film also won the Audience Award as best first feature at the Galway Film Festival. For his second film, Boy A (2008), Crowley won a BAFTA award for Best Director. In May 2005 Crowley, along with Danny Boyle, launched the UK Film Council Development Fund's "25 Words or Less: Director’s Cut" scheme to develop a feature film project, stating that he wanted particularly to "create a contemporary 'rebirth' or transformation story about a man or woman who begins as someone that spreads coldness." [^]

Set and costume design are by two-time Tony Award winner Scott Pask, with lighting design by two-time Tony Award nominee Hugh Vanstone and original music and sound design by Mark Bennett.

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Text removed
Last edited by sf2la on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

It's very nice to read your updates.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

sf2la wrote: gotta run!!!!
Good luck!! Have fun!! :D
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

I'm confused. What is the difference between the "preview" shows of ASR and the one after "opening night" on the 29th?
Penelope

Post by Penelope »

bumblebee wrote:I'm confused. What is the difference between the "preview" shows of ASR and the one after "opening night" on the 29th?
During previews, the show is still a work in progress. There may be changes in the script, staging and such. Parts could be cut or added. About a week before opening night, the production will be "frozen" and there should be no major changes. At that point, the professional critics will be invited to attend and most of their reviews will appear the morning after the opening.
sharmaine

Post by sharmaine »

Hello Penelope....welcome to DC heaven.
You sound like a person who knows what they are talking about.
Don't forget to introduce yourself on the main page.
Where are you from?

tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

sf2la, your reviews are wonderful and I have been enjoying reading them.
You have given detailed information and I don't feel like you have taken away the excitement of my upcoming expierence of seeing the play.
Thank you for your time and effort put into this. You are a true fan.
Thank you