Cowboys and Aliens news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Cowboys and Aliens news and tidbits

Post by Germangirl »

As all his films, this gets an own thread, too for hopefully lots of coverage this coming summer. So excited..

Daniel Craig Bonds With 2nd Franchise

UPDATES Daniel Craig Saddles Up For Old West Alien Invasion
Daniel Craig has closed his deal to star in Cowboys and Aliens for DreamWorks and Universal, as I predicted. Craig will star in an adaptation of Fred Van Lente's graphic novel that was published by Platinum Studios and revolves around cowboys and Native Americans who put aside their Old West differences to battle invading aliens. Craig will play the lead cowboy Zeke Jackson, replacing Robert Downey Jr who exited to jump right back to the Sherlock Holmes sequel. While he likely won't identify himself as "Jackson, Zeke Jackson," Craig has put himself in an enviable position: Cowboys and Aliens has franchise potential. And it will keep him busy while the James Bond/MGM situation plays out. (EXCLUSIVE: Sam Mendes About To Be Hired As "Consultant" On Bond #23) Brian Grazer is producing with Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, and Platinum Studios' Scott Mitchell Rosenberg.

http://www.comicvine.com/news/daniel-cr ... um=twitter

A couple weeks ago, we broke the story that Daniel Craig was in negotiations to star in Jon Favreau’s next film, Cowboys & Aliens. Tonight, Deadline reports that Craig has taken the lead role of cowboy Zeke Jackson in the sci-fi adventure story. This could be a second major franchise for Craig, and if Bond manages to begin shooting next year, then Craig could have an insane 2011 with both Cowboys and Bond hitting theaters.

Robert Downey Jr. was previously cast in the role but dropped out for reasons that may or may not (but I’d put my money on “may”) have to do with a gentleman who lives at 221B Baker Street. I think Downey would’ve been great in the role since he’s great in about everything, but now I’m actually more excited in the project because I don’t know what’s coming. I don’t know how Favreau’s style will work with Craig as opposed to Downey. More importantly, Craig isn’t known for playing charming rogues (his James Bond is grim and gritty) and that’s the character in the books. It’s also clearly intended as a fun movie since it’s titled “Cowboys & Aliens” and not “The Closing of the Frontier and the Loss of the American Identity”. That second title would not look good on a movie poster.
http://www.collider.com/2010/01/28/dani ... um=twitter
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Vesper Lynd 007

Post by Vesper Lynd 007 »

Looking forward to lots of more information :D.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Cowboy or not - mucho red carpet I likey!
Miss-Meow

Post by Miss-Meow »

2011 looks like it'll be a major Dan film-fest :D !!!

(Although Cowboys and Aliens still doesn't appeal to me :( )
"I shouldn't love you" ("Our Friends in the North") / "Fire up the Quattro!" (DCI Gene Hunt, "Ashes to Ashes")

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Seems Indie films etc are struggeling even more these days to survive

Sundance grapples with survival of indie films
The theme for this 26th edition of the festival was all "renew" and "rebel," but it certainly made you wonder: What has Sundance been doing for the past 25 years, if not rebelling against the establishment?

And what exactly is the point of rebelling, if it doesn't get you anywhere?

But if Sundance has been going through an identity crisis, it's understandable.

During the 10-day run of the fest, which wraps up this weekend, there were three signal events outside Park City that herald a fast-changing movie industry: Avatar topped Titanic as history's most lucrative movie, confirming the blockbuster hegemony; Apple unveiled the iPad, the personal movie screen that could seriously challenge theatres; and struggling independent film stalwart Miramax (Pulp Fiction, My Left Foot, The Piano) finally gave up the ghost.

In the face of all this, on top of the chronic problem of smaller films finding distribution, how will Sundance and indie films thrive or even survive?

This confusion of identity was readily apparent on the screens throughout Sundance 2010.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/mo ... ndie-films

Those struggeling Indies are one of the reasons, I like to see him attached to a big blockbuster, in which he will have the chance to show off his talent to do humor (something many are waiting for) as well as getting more of a reputation in the US. For many over there - he is still "the new Bond". Like GC has shown - films succeed or fail in the US. Coyboys will be an expensive film made for success and replacing RDJ, who is American and since Iron Man A-list again, with a Brit, who isn´t a household name over there yet, is a great success for DC IMO. Also - making a light film purely made for entertainment real good might proove to be as difficult as making an artful, thouhtful film and he will make this Cowboy as 3 dimensional as Bond. :D

Bond has prooved, that true talent shines everywhere and isn´t wasted on a blockbuster movie.

Just my two...:oops:

2011 - Dream House - Tin Tin - Coyboys and Bond :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Vesper Lynd 007

I agree that he could have chosen a better time line, but I surely won't complain about a danilicious film year :twisted: :D.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Daniel Craig Lassoes 'Cowboys and Aliens'

It puts Craig in a great position, especially for a fall-back option. Before MGM was put up on blocks in the front yard, the conventional wisdom was that Bond 23 would shoot this year, taking probably four months of Craig's time. However, with the future of the studio uncertain at best and a pre-production process that both has to drag its heels because of it and, by all indications, is in no hurry either way, suddenly Craig has lots of free time. Shooting Cowboys this summer fills his schedule and give him another possible franchise.
Look at the names behind this: Spielberg, Howard, Grazer, Kurtzman and Orci. These guys can manufacture hits, and because there won't really be too many things close to this in the marketplace (except maybe Jonah Hex), if the film does well, sequels are sure to follow. Craig will also probably bow out of 007 duty in two or three more films, counting Bond 23, so he's padding himself rather wisely here.

http://www.getthebigpicture.net/blog/20 ... liens.html

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Germangirl wrote:Daniel Craig Lassoes 'Cowboys and Aliens'

It puts Craig in a great position, especially for a fall-back option. Before MGM was put up on blocks in the front yard, the conventional wisdom was that Bond 23 would shoot this year, taking probably four months of Craig's time. However, with the future of the studio uncertain at best and a pre-production process that both has to drag its heels because of it and, by all indications, is in no hurry either way, suddenly Craig has lots of free time. Shooting Cowboys this summer fills his schedule and give him another possible franchise.
Look at the names behind this: Spielberg, Howard, Grazer, Kurtzman and Orci. These guys can manufacture hits, and because there won't really be too many things close to this in the marketplace (except maybe Jonah Hex), if the film does well, sequels are sure to follow. Craig will also probably bow out of 007 duty in two or three more films, counting Bond 23, so he's padding himself rather wisely here.

No ASR for London this summer then. :evil: Image
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:

Maybe he will squeeze it in during the fall season :wink: 6 weeks or so - enough for you to go and see. Don´t give up hope...

Vesper Lynd 007

I hope with you :D. But fall would be bad, because of my study travelling in September :(. Would be a LOT of money.
Flower

Post by Flower »

I'm really looking forward to this film even thought I don't know much about it. I agree with GG that I want Daniel to show that he can do humor and also, I want him to become more popular which a big franchise will do. Also, as Mrs. Bee said, we will have tons of red carpet and interviews next year!

The only thing I don't understand is this - Daniel is a super private guy. I don't understand why someone so private would make the decsion to make another big blockbuster (potential) franchise film. Unless, we're thinking it's going to be a "big blockbuster franchise film" when really it's going to be a funny quirky indy type film, which would be right up DC's alley.

Ugh. I can be so wordy. I need a good editor.
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

JEC57 wrote:

JEC, my heart skipped a beat when I read thru the thread and saw your avator, OMG. Things just get better and better here.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Flower wrote:I'm really looking forward to this film even thought I don't know much about it. I agree with GG that I want Daniel to show that he can do humor and also, I want him to become more popular which a big franchise will do. Also, as Mrs. Bee said, we will have tons of red carpet and interviews next year!

The only thing I don't understand is this - Daniel is a super private guy. I don't understand why someone so private would make the decsion to make another big blockbuster (potential) franchise film. Unless, we're thinking it's going to be a "big blockbuster franchise film" when really it's going to be a funny quirky indy type film, which would be right up DC's alley.

There is no chance its gonna be a small indie type of film, this will cost a fortune and is out to make major bucks at the BO - otherwise it will be an epic failure. I feel - here its true again, when he says, he is doing, what interests him and keeps him from getting bored with what he does - at what price? He did Bond - what can be worse in terms of publicity? I am proud, they asked him to come on board as a Brit in this entirely american structured film. Shows Spielberg and Co have trust in him and his ability to pull off just about everything. :D

Guess he made another Pro and Con list and the Pros won :wink:
Ugh. I can be so wordy. I need a good editor.
Then what would that make me - I am writing epics at times :oops: I hope, I don´t get on peoples nerves with too many and too long posts.

Jana66

Post by Jana66 »

Germangirl wrote:
JEC57 wrote:
Germangirl wrote: No ASR for London this summer then. :evil: Image
Maybe he will squeeze it in during the fall season :wink: 6 weeks or so - enough for you to go and see. Don´t give up hope...
Looking at Daniels very interesting good next films and so now tight schedule...I am also a little bit in worry and sorry about (maybe) ASR in London :cry: ..., so lets me hope too.
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

How often are Broadway Dramas go to London or visa versa ? Don't forget Hugh's schedule . I think you will see a movie before a trip to London .