JACKMAN, CRAIG TO TAKE B'WAY BY STORM

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Germangirl wrote:I remember this - it was were Daniel was nominated here

DISTINGUISHED PERFORMANCE AWARD

So what exactly did they honor Hugh for? For raising the charity money - together with Daniel? - Surely not for his performance, where Daniel was clearly the better man - at least for most of the run. This leaves me speechless..guess he is just not doing enough of this :kiss_ass:
I rest my case from what I said earlier in the day when agreeing with honeyjes.

.......if your face fits then it gets rewarded and sod the quality of the acting.

Hugh was good but Daniel was better. It pays to kiss the right asses, but that's something Daniel will never do.

Laredo wrote: Huff didn't pick them , the producers did , and they had rabid fans who went over and over again and would see them read the phonebook.
....but even with the two of them, there are not that many rabid fans to account for either their box-offices receipts or their charity haul. I think a lot of people went out of curiosity - and yes - because it was Wolverine and Bond on stage, but they came out saying "wow".

And the main "wow" was "Damn! Daniel Craig can act!! Who would have thought it!"

......well, no-one.....except those who actually took the time to watch his work instead of watching column inches in the gossip press.

Sorry folks if I sound jaded and angry - I've watched this happen to Daniel sooooo many times over the years. It started with OFITN and it's still happening.

He won't play the Luvvie Game and while his audiences love him, the critics could care less because he won't suck up to them. Unfortunately, at the end of the day, their opinion carries weight with those who hand out the good scripts. Which is why Daniel has had to fight for every one of them, especially in the early days to avoid being type-cast as "a bit of rough Northern totty".

It's a curse that has struck both Chris Eccleston and Sean Bean. Neither of them will kiss ass either and their careers have suffered, especially as both are politically outspoken. I think Daniel learned from early on to keep his politics off the agenda.

What we do have to be grateful for is Daniel's scruples and work ethic. We will carry on getting superb performances for as long as he can walk the boards. He will always give his audiences the best of himself.

It's the critics' loss if they are so far up their own egos that they can't see the quality of the man right before their eyes.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I thought about this a bit more - Hugh would have simply been on that nom list together with ALL the others, if he hadn´t gotten this award already (guess for Boys of Oz). So - in order to not leave those out, who couldn´t be nominated again, they did put them on a separate list. So - this in itsself made them stand out of the crowd and gave them a special nod.
calypso wrote:i agree it basura, that why Daniel not attend.
he will not play part in Broadway snobbery or affectations.
even if he was nominated i think he would not be there.

daniel did play for experience, doing great material, working with hugh and raising money and that was good enough for daniel.
he not need other broadway basura.

one think i think we all know by now is daniel's ego is not fed by awards or nominations, his talent is not outlined by these nor is the man himself.

he does things for himself, his own desire to be as good as he can be and to push himself. he does not do things to end up in lists or award stages.

and all that is only possible because he has support system that loves him, he loves himself in right healthy way and his ego is not a selfish one.

i guess humility and confidence is a word for it.

you are right GG, he is not a Image, he have enough talent to not have to be one. he is is own judge and executioner i think.
but best deal of this is we can kiss his ass whenever we want yes?
that how it works :twisted:
So well put, Luna - and agree with most of it, but I do think, that he does care about awards for his work. He couldn´t care less about polls and awards for being best dressed, but I think, he likes to be acknowledged for his work like eveybody else would.
JEC wrote: Unfortunately, at the end of the day, their opinion carries weight with those who hand out the good scripts.
I really don´t think its all that bad - its not the critics, who - in the end - make or break an artist, its the people, who do the films - the prods and others involved with filmmaking IMO. Like a Spielberg, who knows, how good Daniel is and who keeps on casting him - C&A is a good example. His reputation within the industry is flawless and will continue to be so.
If I just go by myself - I couldn´t care less what critics say about a film. If I am interested I go and see it and make up my own mind.

The one thing IMO, what might hurt him in the long run is, that he doesn´t care to show his pleasant and funny personality to the public enough. All these often stern/annoyed looking pap pics are seen by the fans and those, who are not interested enough to make an effort to look beyond that (and you can´t expect that), will go by what they see and that isn´t always all that positive. I mean, he has the most beautiful smile, I have ever seen on a person - it lights up his face and melts hearts - he should use it more often. Nothing wrong with that...

Sometimes I feel like shaking him and make him understand, that keeping his fans is as important as being a great actor, because they are the ones, who go see his films and that´s - to a large extend - done, because they like someone. If they stop doing that, THEN the good scripts will fail to fall on his doorsteps IMO.

At the end of the day, he will continue doing, what he feels is right for him and not bend to anything a fan like me says or anybody else (aside from the close people, he listens too). Admitted, that´s most likely the best way to keep your sanity in this crazy business, that tends to destroy people...

WOW :shock: long one. Going over to a friend for breakfast now :wink:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I would like to correct something. In putting :kiss_ass: in, I might have given the impression, that I think, Hugh is like that. He is a good fellow, who is playing the media right - but I feel, it comes easy to him to be outgoing and friendly to just about everybody - even the paps - and that made him so popular.
I am sure :kiss_ass: helps, but as said before, I doubt Hughs intention in how he is presenting himself to the public, is to do that.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Laredo wrote: Huff didn't pick them , the producers did , and they had rabid fans who went over and over again and would see them read the phonebook.
That's how it is, those who put in the money decide a lot and that sometimes includes the casting.

But I'm sure Huff was more then delighted when the part of Joe went to Daniel. Remember the video where Huff told the interviewer that his wife said that it would be just great if Daniel would play in ASR. And this was way before Daniel was casted.

And then his reaction when Daniel called him and he first thought one of his friends was just joking on the phone.
I'm pretty sure he had a BIG smile on his face when Daniel signed the contract.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Dunda wrote:
But I'm sure Huff was more then delighted when the part of Joe went to Daniel. Remember the video where Huff told the interviewer that his wife said that it would be just great if Daniel would play in ASR. And this was way before Daniel was casted.

And then his reaction when Daniel called him and he first thought one of his friends was just joking on the phone.
I'm pretty sure he had a BIG smile on his face when Daniel signed the contract.
Remember Hughs interview with that Katie Curic (I think), where he was asked, whether Daniel and he were involved at the same time and he answered, that Daniel was involved already for a year? So, my guess is, that when that Huff interview was made - around December - there was already an interest there on Dc´s side - only that Huff couldn´t believe his good luck, when it finally happened.

honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

Laredo wrote:
honeyjes wrote:It still doesn't stack up. people went multiple times, and in a recession, I doubt that if the play had beed crap it would have got a second viewing no matter how big a star was on stage.

I thiink, there seems to be some sort of pecking order, and Huff seems to have been treated as an upstart who managed to bag 2 stars for his play as opposed to well established playwrights
Huff didn't pick them , the producers did , and they had rabid fans who went over and over again and would see them read the phonebook.
My points still stand, neither Daniel or Hugh have waning careers, therefore they did not need to sign up to do the play. There must have been something about Huffs play that attracted these 2 actors and the producers to stage it.

Yes Hugh had pulling power but not to the extent that he’d draw bigger crowds than the musicals that usually fill the box office coffers. Daniel was an unknown quantity to some but guess what he blew people away and what he and Hugh generated on stage filtered down to sell out shows every night.

We can’t really make excuses for critics who have myopic views.
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

honeyjes wrote:what he and Hugh generated on stage filtered down to sell out shows every night
That's exactly how it is!

I often say I would go and listen to Daniel reading the phonebook!
But would I? Well maybe yes, one time!
But so many people went more then once and if one of these two would have sucked, the play would have sucked.

I mean there have been to actors on stage and nothing else but two chairs and somtimes a tiny little background scenerey. So all what these to actors have had was the pure craft of acting and the power of the spoken word. And yet it was enough to fill the seats, which leads to the fact that they used what they had very very well, both of them!

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

GG

Since Daniel will never put himself or his family on show, even if he smiled more, the likes of JJ will never post anything other than the worst, I’d rather him be true to himself than fake it for extra brownie points.

He as far as I can tell doesn’t treat his fans with anything other than respect, and that’s what will win out in the end.

Worrying about transient bile only makes one sick.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

honeyjes wrote:GG

Since Daniel will never put himself or his family on show, even if he smiled more, the likes of JJ will never post anything other than the worst, I’d rather him be true to himself than fake it for extra brownie points.

He as far as I can tell doesn’t treat his fans with anything other than respect, and that’s what will win out in the end.

Honey, I agree with what you say and have partly pointed that out, too, I think - about being true to himself etc., because otherwise you will loose yourself. I didn´t relate to those moron comments at JJ - but some of it might be an echo of what others, who see him in those shots might come to think. Also - having a more comfortable relationship with the paps would also make his life easier, because they will snap him never mind what. They are part of this business and opposing them will not make them go away and I just wished, he would find a way to come to more agreeable terms with them, without having to fake it.
Those, who meet him, will never be disappointed, of course, but that´s a minority.

Like I said, he will always play it his way and I hope, you are right and he will win out in the end. Its true, that its useless to moan about things, that most likely won´t happen, but then, to have discussions, I feel its ok to sometimes do :wink:

Did I mention, that I am a discussion freak and like to stir them a bit? :oops:

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

http://www.playbill.com/insidetrack/201 ... ue-awards/

Hugh Jackman was there representing both him and his A Steady Rain co-star, Daniel Craig. “They left it up to me to tell him [about today],” Jackman said. “He just shows up in his free Dunhill suits and his baby blues, and I thought, ‘He’s had enough’ so I’m going to take his free gift bag home with me,” he joked
honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

Germangirl wrote:
honeyjes wrote:GG

Honey, I agree with what you say and have partly pointed that out, too, I think - about being true to himself etc., because otherwise you will loose yourself. I didn´t relate to those moron comments at JJ - but some of it might be an echo of what others, who see him in those shots might come to think. Also - having a more comfortable relationship with the paps would also make his life easier, because they will snap him never mind what. They are part of this business and opposing them will not make them go away and I just wished, he would find a way to come to more agreeable terms with them, without having to fake it.
Those, who meet him, will never be disappointed, of course, but that´s a minority.

Like I said, he will always play it his way and I hope, you are right and he will win out in the end. Its true, that its useless to moan about things, that most likely won´t happen, but then, to have discussions, I feel its ok to sometimes do :wink:

Did I mention, that I am a discussion freak and like to stir them a bit? :oops:
Nothing wrong with discussions, I’m forever the optimist.

It’s the paps that want to milk and exploit that Daniel has no time for, if you really think about it, he’s already been crapped on big time and it wasn’t him who ended up eating crow , he didn’t rub their faces in it and showed himself to be the better man and garnered more respect.

There will always be those who want to believe the worse of people and Daniel has learnt firsthand how fickle the media can be and has chosen not to use a stacked deck to push forward his career, sooner or later the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

If the likes of Christian Bale and Russell Crowe can maintain successful careers without the charm, Daniel will do just fine because of who he is.

Least we forget, certain actors just don’t enter the profession for the good column inches, and Daniel is someone who you can’t easily manipulate/pigeon hole. Good or bad he has chosen not to base his career on what will keep/make him popular but what will challenge and hone his skills.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

honeyjes wrote:
Nothing wrong with discussions, I’m forever the optimist.
:wink:
It’s the paps that want to milk and exploit that Daniel has no time for, if you really think about it, he’s already been crapped on big time and it wasn’t him who ended up eating crow , he didn’t rub their faces in it and showed himself to be the better man and garnered more respect.

There will always be those who want to believe the worse of people and Daniel has learnt firsthand how fickle the media can be and has chosen not to use a stacked deck to push forward his career, sooner or later the wheat gets separated from the chaff.

If the likes of Christian Bale and Russell Crowe can maintain successful careers without the charm, Daniel will do just fine because of who he is.

Least we forget, certain actors just don’t enter the profession for the good column inches, and Daniel is someone who you can’t easily manipulate/pigeon hole. Good or bad he has chosen not to base his career on what will keep/make him popular but what will challenge and hone his skills.
All true, but I still find it sad, that he chose to not reveal his natural funny and easy going side more often, so people can receive him by how he really is. Too often he is judged by those sometime rather grumpy, annoyed looking pap pics. But yeah - he has taken more crap then most and that has most likely made him even more laid back with the media and paps. Understandable...

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

I don't judge him from grumpy pap pics but his interviews are a bit reticent except the one he did on PBS for Defiance .
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Laredo wrote:I don't judge him from grumpy pap pics but his interviews are a bit reticent except the one he did on PBS for Defiance .
No, WE don´t. :wink: Actually, I like his interviews - nothing wrong with them for me. If the interviewer isn´t a total nut, they reflect his sometimes shy, self deprecating but also funny personality much better IMO.

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

As has been mentioned before, it always worth remembering that he is quite shy and self-conscious. It's also not in his nature to self-advertise even though he knows he has to do it to promote his films. ("I don't believe in self-promotion, really I can't be arsed.")

It's amazing how many genuine actors, singers and musicians are shy. (I'm not talking about talentless celebs who chase the limelight because the limelight is all they have)

He responds to the interviewer. The more relaxed, the less pushy and better prepared the interviewer the better he does. The Giggles Vid shows loads of times when Daniel does peek out from behind his shutters, interviews when someone takes the time and trouble to connect with him on a personal level and gets rewarded by a gentle, funny, informative and very co-operative Daniel.

With the papp photos, I think it's a case that he doesn't do very well when people jump out at him suddenly waving a camera in his face. I don't think I would either. My natural reaction would be to shove the camera where the sun don't shine. Luckily Daniel has a better control on his temper!! :lol:

None of us actually know Daniel, but from what we've gleaned from watching, listening, "tuning in" to him, we do know he is a very intelligent, complex and sensitive man. He is never going to be a picture-perfect press darling.....but neither should he be. If he is comfortable in his own skin, that should be enough imo.