News tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

How cool that would be. Fingers crossed.

David Fincher's U.S. adaptation of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" is currently the hottest project in Hollywood right now.

Oscar-winning screenwriter Steve Zaillian just turned in the script this week and the forward wheels are in motion for an October start date.

Brad Pitt was once tentatively being discussed for the lead, but now Daniel Craig is in talks for the lead role in this crime thriller according to Deadline. The Wrap seems to suggest that it's all but a done deal, but our source says the Deadline piece is the one that's accurate in that a deal is being discussed, but nothing has been signed or confirmed. Craig evidently is interested in the role though, so it could happen. Craig also does look just a tad more Scandinavian then Pitt, no?

The female role is also a hotly sought one and last we heard its being circled by several A-list starlets including Carey Mulligan — who's been loosely connected to the role for a while — plus Ellen Page, Kristen Stewart, Mia Wasikowska, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley, Anne Hathaway, Olivia Thirlby, and Scarlett Johansson.

The Stieg Larsson cult novels have become a global phenomenon and have sold over 25 million copies. In fact the film already has a December 2011 release date in mind and the two book sequels are going to be shot back to back. Fincher currently has an option to also direct, "The Girl Who Played With Fire," but it sounds like he'll be off to the Scott Z. Burns-penned, "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" project next.

Obviously a Swedish adaptation of the novels have already been made, but most of us here didn't care for them at all. Zaillian's adaptation went straight from the novels and we were told early on he purposely did not watch the Niels Arden Oplev-directed film that starred Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace as the investigative reporter Mikael Blomkvist and his cyper-punky hacker sidekick, Lisbeth Salander.

Shooting-sched-wise it should work being that Craig starts shooting Jon Favreau's "Cowboys & Aliens" next week and is free in the fall now that "Bond 23" has been indefinitely delayed. The keyword being should. Just remember, this is a trilogy, so Craig will have to commit to three films making this yet another franchise. Could that schedule bump up against, "Bond 23" when it gets up and running presumably some time in 2011? Time will tell.
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/

thewrap.com - 5 hours ago
EXCLUSIVE: Daniel Craig Closes in on 'Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' Lead

One of the biggest roles in Hollywood is about to be taken off the table. Daniel Craig is nearing a deal to take the lead role in a U.S. adaptation of the Swedish blockbuster trilogy, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," TheWrap has learned. David Fincher will direct the crime thriller, ...
http://movieblips.dailyradar.com/story/ ... movieblips
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

calypso wrote:http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/exclu ... raig-18015

Craig would play journalist Mikael Blomkvist who is looking for the missing woman, Harriet Banger.

While Brad Pitt has been reportedly considering the lead role, an individual close to the negotiations said that Craig was close to a deal. The James Bond star will fly out to Los Angeles on Friday to have dinner with Fincher, who's slated to direct the three-picture franchise for Sony. :shock: today?

The movie will shoot in October, and is slated for release in December 2011.

========================================

this would be huge for Daniel, another trilogy that will take off unlike the Compass one
my gods that four movies out next year for him.
Dream House
Cowboys
Tin Tin
Girl with Dragon Tattoo

i think three films with december 2011 releases? then if he films Bond early in 2011 for the exapmple, maybe fifth film?
what i think is this, he will maybe do a play next year and try to keep his filing schedule open for bond, then he has these premieres and promotions to do. he will be busy
Nice find Cal! :thumbup:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is true. :sigh:

If it pulls in the right talent, this could be a huge winner all around.

But.....please no Keira Knightly. Personally, I think she is soooo over-rated.
Mariah

Post by Mariah »

Looks like we're going to have lots of Daniel to look forward to on the big screen! :D :D :D [/url]
"I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me. Whatever is left of me - whatever is left of me - whatever I am - I'm yours."
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:[
Nice find Cal! :thumbup:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is true. :sigh:

If it pulls in the right talent, this could be a huge winner all around.

But.....please no Keira Knightly. Personally, I think she is soooo over-rated.
Here´s a nice post form CBN, that underlines this
I've been waiting to see the original and have it pre-ordered on Blu ray and usually cynical about remakes but Fincher supposedly hasn't seen the original and is said to be going for his own adaptation of the novel rather than a remake and people who've seen the original and approve of this are saying Craig is great fit for the male lead.

Fincher and Craig now we are talking, deep psychological thriller giving DC a chance to really flex is acting muscles again. Maybe the Bond hiatus will see at least Daniel get a chance to show the world outside of his Bond work what a gifted actor he is, I do hope this happens, I can wait for Bond till 2012 it's no problem to me if this goes ahead.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

trueblue

Post by trueblue »

In the past couple weeks, the most widely-reported word on David Fincher’s remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was that Brad Pitt was waiting on Steve Zaillian’s first script draft, which was turned in on June 1. The belief was that Pitt was going to make a decision about starring in the film after reading the script.

So can we infer that Brad Pitt didn’t love the script? Or does he not want to be tied to a series of three films?
Well,Brad Pitt is Fincher's favorite boy so it's a little odd that they won't be making this one together.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

calypso wrote:
i think three films with december 2011 releases?
No - Dream House in spring/early summer, C&A summer and only Tin Tin in fall so far.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Plot:

Cases rarely come much colder than the decades-old disappearance of teen heiress Harriet Vanger from her family's remote island retreat north of Stockholm, nor do fiction debuts hotter than this European bestseller by muckraking Swedish journalist Larsson. At once a strikingly original thriller and a vivisection of Sweden's dirty not-so-little secrets (as suggested by its original title, Men Who Hate Women), this first of a trilogy introduces a provocatively odd couple: disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist, freshly sentenced to jail for libeling a shady businessman, and the multipierced and tattooed Lisbeth Salander, a feral but vulnerable superhacker. Hired by octogenarian industrialist Henrik Vanger, who wants to find out what happened to his beloved great-niece before he dies, the duo gradually uncover a festering morass of familial corruption—at the same time, Larsson skillfully bares some of the similar horrors that have left Salander such a marked woman.

bubita

Post by bubita »

I´d love to see him doing that, fingers crossed.
is he gonna see the director Today?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Maybe that´s why he got away from B. Pitt :wink: Lets hope...

I don´t speak spanish, but its still possible to figure out, what they
mean here. :wink:

Cinco razones por las que Daniel Craig sería un gran Mikael Blomkvist

1- Daniel Craig es un gran actor ¿o no?

2- Es guapo, pero sin avasallar. Encaja con el perfil de hombre atractivo e interesante que Stieg Larsson describe.

3- Las escenas de acción se le dan de miedo; y en la trilogía de Larsson hay mucha y de la buena.

4- Tiene el halo de misterio necesario para encarnar a un personaje que Larsson hace crecer a lo largo de la trilogía: culto, valiente, volcado en luchar contra las injusticias, solidario… mujeriego, ligón.

5- Va a tener mucho tiempo libre y muchas ganas de trabajar, ya que la cancelación del rodaje de la nueva entrega de 007 lo ha dejado con ganas de descargar adrenalina.

http://blogs.20minutos.es/sinefectos/20 ... blomkvist/

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

So many blogs and pages and pages of twitter comments mostly favouring Daniel above Brad for this role. :D
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Sylvia's girl wrote:So many blogs and pages and pages of twitter comments mostly favouring Daniel above Brad for this role. :D
Like in this? - All comments I read were happy about Daniel. Its good to see him getting some love.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/06/ ... on-tattoo/

bubita

Post by bubita »

Germangirl wrote:Maybe that´s why he got away from B. Pitt :wink: Lets hope...

I don´t speak spanish, but its still possible to figure out, what they
mean here. :wink:

Cinco razones por las que Daniel Craig sería un gran Mikael Blomkvist

1- Daniel Craig es un gran actor ¿o no?

2- Es guapo, pero sin avasallar. Encaja con el perfil de hombre atractivo e interesante que Stieg Larsson describe.

3- Las escenas de acción se le dan de miedo; y en la trilogía de Larsson hay mucha y de la buena.

4- Tiene el halo de misterio necesario para encarnar a un personaje que Larsson hace crecer a lo largo de la trilogía: culto, valiente, volcado en luchar contra las injusticias, solidario… mujeriego, ligón.

5- Va a tener mucho tiempo libre y muchas ganas de trabajar, ya que la cancelación del rodaje de la nueva entrega de 007 lo ha dejado con ganas de descargar adrenalina.

http://blogs.20minutos.es/sinefectos/20 ... blomkvist/
five reasons why Daniel Craig would be a great Mikael Blomkvist

1.- Daniel Craig is great actor, isn´t he?
2.- he´s hunsdsome, but without been too much :? . he fits the atracctive and interesting profile of the man that stieg larssond describes.
3.- he´s terrific in action scenes and in Larsson trylogy there´s plenty of them.
4.-he´s covered with a halo of mystery necessary to embody a caracter who evolves through the trilogy: educated, brave, throw himself into a battle for justice, supportive, womanizer
5.- he´s gonna be plenty of free time and looking for work after the cancelation of the new 007 installment which have have him boiling with adrenaline, and he needs to get rid of it.

not a great translation but good. :wink:
Last edited by bubita on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks bubita and how right there are :mrgreen:

Just thinking - dunno if any respectable director would do such a thing, but maybe, just maybe, he let this leak before going into MAYBE final negotions or negotions at all with Daniel. Just see, how the movie going public would react to it. IF so, the part should be his. The internet owes him, no? :wink:

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

I so hope this pans out and he gets the role.....the initial reaction seems to unanimously favourable......like "Oh Yes! He'd be great!"

It would be nice for Daniel to have the internet 100% behind him for a change.....like you said - they owe him! :brood: