THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

calypso

Post by calypso »

i have feeling maybe we might see full frontal :twisted:

http://www.moviehole.net/201025689-sdcc ... too-rumors

Last bit of business before the Moviehole-ers call it a night here in San Diego.

While talking to the lovely Natalie Portman this evening for, of course, "Thor" - and we will try and have that interview, and the ones we conducted with the other cast members, up shortly - I thought it couldn't hurt to bring up the U.S remake of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", a project of which Ms Portman is rumored to be in the running for.

Portman, you may recall, was one of several actresses (Kristen Stewart and Carey Mulligan were also on the list) recently rumored to be vying for the lead role in the David Fincher movie. Thing is, she hasn't talked to anyone about playing Lisbeth in the redo.

"I really like the books but I have not been approached at all so any of that is pure rumor", the actress told me earlier this evening.

:( i would like natalie
ImageImage
agrippina

Post by agrippina »

Well, this'll keep him busy for some time... I'm still not sure if to be happy or not - I did not like the books too much and the guy is not that interesting a character (not to mention the fact that it's really the girl who is the main character as the story advances). Plus I generally don't like the remakes of films. I have not seen the Swedish adaptations, but it'll be interesting to see what kind of angle Fincher and Steve Zaillian will adopt for this version. There's so mcuh stuff in the books and trying to get all that on screen even in three films is not really possible...

But he will be in Sweden then. Stockholm is just a ferry ride or an hour's flight away from Helsinki... Geez, does this mean I gotta start reading all possible Stockholm blogs and news sites?!
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

agrippina wrote: But he will be in Sweden then. Stockholm is just a ferry ride or an hour's flight away from Helsinki... Geez, does this mean I gotta start reading all possible Stockholm blogs and news sites?!
Yes!! :mrgreen:
Laredo wrote:

I missed it why would he be coming back to the UK ?
Because this is his home and it's only a hop, skip and a jump from Sweden to the UK.

I have a friend who commutes weekly to Finland for his job, so not improbable that we may see Daniel around the streets of London on his days off.
Firstsupergirl

Post by Firstsupergirl »

This is excellent news to start the day with.... :D

Initially I was reluctant to read the books because I often have a skeptical view towards so called 'bestsellers' (though I live of them :wink: )...
but after DC was rumoured to play Blomkvist I decided to give them a try and read the first part during my holiday and what can I say? He simply is perfect for the role!
I also liked the plot although it took a while to get into the story and some scenes were really hard stuff but later on I couldn't put it down.
I haven't seen the films so far but I definitely will also read the other two parts.
But I agree with you Grip that the Sanders character is the main one but imo Blomkvist is interesting too. I could easily picture DC as him.....and YES, I'm sure we'll get some VERY juicy scenes with him! :mrgreen:
Jana66

Post by Jana66 »

When the rumors started I rented the first book in my library and I read it during holidays. I have to agree with Grip and FSG, the main character in the book is Lisbeth, because it is she with a lot of trouble (IMO) and the others too. Maybe something got lost through the German translation, but esp. all this lines in the book speaks a very clear and very direct "Speech". And to adapt this into a film, IMO means...we will surely get 18rated for the movie.
AND...that Blomkvist is a character fitting Daniel perfectly! I am soooo happy for Daniel. He got it! AND...we Europeans will have him back over the pond as soon as possible :D :D :D .
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

But will he have to learn a swedish accent now? :shock: Personally i am all against all these accents. Who really cares? I mean I didn't miss any polish accent, when watching the German version of Defiance. I think, it just makes it more difficult for the actors to get the timing and the emphasis right - which is way more important IMO. We'll see..

I waited with the books/films until he got the role, but will now start with the film. Looking forward to it now. :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

I watched the movie last night, since the books are hard to come by at the library. And there's no way I could read it in 7 days, anyway. That's the time frame for 'New' title lending.

Lisbeth is kick ass and I can definitely see the attraction of that character to the women of the world, she doesn't take anyone's shit! I'm still trying to figure out the right English-speaking actress to pull her off, but I still don't know.

And DC as Blomqvist works, but for that I had little doubt. I'll be curious to see how 'sexy' the director keeps this version, in comparison to the Swedish one.
Crazy!
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:But will he have to learn a swedish accent now? :shock: Personally i am all against all these accents. Who really cares? I mean I didn't miss any polish accent, when watching the German version of Defiance. I think, it just makes it more difficult for the actors to get the timing and the emphasis right - which is way more important IMO. We'll see..

I waited with the books/films until he got the role, but will now start with the film. Looking forward to it now. :D
I have read that he will have to do a Swedish accent, and I'm in agreement with you, it doesn't always work. !
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

I'm just so glad that it's finally confirmed :D I think DC will be perfect but I hope they won't have him do a Swedish accent :lol:

Portman would be great as Salander IMO.
"Hanging on your words, living on your breath, feeling with your skin"
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

While some ask themselves, why there is need for an US version - I think, this is the answer. While the books are top internationally and in the US, the films, even though highly acclaimed, don't make money over there.

Music Box Films is in the process of releasing the original Swedish-language film adaptations in the United States. "Tattoo" has grossed $9.6 million in the U.S. and $92 million internationally.

The second film, "The Girl Who Played With Fire," has grossed $2.9 million in the U.S. since its release earlier this month. It grossed $51 million internationally.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

Germangirl wrote:While some ask themselves, why there is need for an US version - I think, this is the answer. While the books are top internationally and in the US, the films, even though highly acclaimed, don't make money over there.

Music Box Films is in the process of releasing the original Swedish-language film adaptations in the United States. "Tattoo" has grossed $9.6 million in the U.S. and $92 million internationally.

The second film, "The Girl Who Played With Fire," has grossed $2.9 million in the U.S. since its release earlier this month. It grossed $51 million internationally.
I said it before and I'll say it again. With very few exceptions, foreign films do not do well in the US market. This audience has little patience for subtitles.
Crazy!
Firstsupergirl

Post by Firstsupergirl »

Elaine_Figgis wrote:
Germangirl wrote:While some ask themselves, why there is need for an US version - I think, this is the answer. While the books are top internationally and in the US, the films, even though highly acclaimed, don't make money over there.

I said it before and I'll say it again. With very few exceptions, foreign films do not do well in the US market. This audience has little patience for subtitles.
But why aren't foreign films dubbed in the US as it is normal standard in Germany? Here original versions are the exception, at the most you find them in the late night programme at TV. Therefore it's so hard to find a cinema which shows DC films in OV - only with Bond we've been lucky. Aren't there any dubbed films at all in the US or in GB?
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

Firstsupergirl wrote:
Elaine_Figgis wrote:

But why aren't foreign films dubbed in the US as it is normal standard in Germany? Here original versions are the exception, at the most you find them in the late night programme at TV. Therefore it's so hard to find a cinema which shows DC films in OV - only with Bond we've been lucky. Aren't there any dubbed films at all in the US or in GB?
The only dubbed film I ever saw in the US was one of the Chinese Kung Fu movies. Not being in the industry, it's speculation on my part, but I think it's cost. Since there isn't a big market for foreign films, they offer subtitles since it's cheaper than dubbing. Those who will see a foreign film, will see it no matter what, but I don't think dubbing will bring in much more money.

The films dubbed in Europe are made for the English speaking mass market.

Only my opinion.
Crazy!
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

[quote="Germangirl"]This surely means, he finally arrived in the US. We don't know, who else was interested in this or got an offer for this part, but from the beginning, it seemed, everybody wanted him to play B. So - the most prestigious role in Hollywood right now and all seem happy, he got it. And nobody complained, that he took over from their beloved Robert Downey - so it seems, the americans finally take him to their heart.

CHEERS Dan!quote]

I FINALLY agree he has made here in the US and though wasn't sure he was a A lister until Defiance unlike most of you . I knew he would make it just disagreed when . He has the best career a Bond has had while playing Bond. This gives them tme to clear up the MGM mess .
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

He is the most talked about in EW weekly and the comments are 90% favourable :D

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/07/ ... on-tattoo/