THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

Happy for Daniel, happy for us! 8) If this means that Daniel can have even more 'clout' in Hollywood, then so much the better. I haven't read the books but I will take all of your words for it that he is perfect for the role. I just want to see ANY Daniel movie please!!! :wink:
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... attoo.html

Daniel Craig could be swapping vodka martinis (shaken not stirred) for a shot or two of akvavit, with the news that he's to star in the Hollywood version of Stieg Larsson's novel The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

The James Bond actor is to play the hero's role of journalist Mikael Blomkvist, with the UK's own An Education star Carey Mulligan rumoured to be joining him as heroine Lisbeth Salander.

Other actresses in the frame, according to film website Deadline, include Juno's Ellen Page, Mia Wasikowska, who was Alice in Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland and Australian actress Emily Browning from the forthcoming Sucker Punch.

Craig will start shooting the blockbuster thriller in the autumn and it is scheduled for a December 2011 release.

Apparently, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, George Clooney and Viggo Mortensen were all considered for the lead role, but Craig trumped them all.

The role in the three Scandinavian original adaptations of the late Larsson's Millennium Trilogy novels was played by Swedish actor Michael Nyqvist, alongside fellow Swede, co-star Noomi Rapace.

With the new James Bond movie on hold while the studio behind the franchise, debt-ridden Metro Goldwyn Mayer, try and find a buyer, having a new source of income will probably be welcome to Mr Craig.

He's just shelled out £1.2million for a New York apartment to go with his £4million London home.

It had been reported that American Beauty director Sam Mendes had been lined up to direct the 23rd flick in the 007 franchise, which started with Dr No in 1962.

But production company EON confirmed in a statement at the beginning of this month: “We do not know when development will resume and cannot comment further at this stage.”

If the US remake of the first of Larsson's books is a success, at the very least, Craig has another couple of films to keep him busy until Bond bounces back.

Larsson, who died in 2004, has now sold more than 27 million copies of his books in more than 40 countries.

Craig meanwhile has just launched another of his forthcoming movies, Cowboys and Aliens, at San Diego's Comic Con, one of the biggest film, TV and comic book conventions in the world.

A sci-fi fantasy, it's out next summer.
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

It would be nice to think, he REALLY triumphed over these guys, who are the recent Hollywood royals.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

calypso

Post by calypso »

but not one reporter picks up on new tattoo they put in a rticle :roll:
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Hollywood superstar Daniel Craig is moving on from the James Bond series with a role in a new thriller franchise...

http://www.realbollywood.com/news/2010/ ... ilogy.html
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... attoo.html

Ridiculous comments as usual "I don't care if he is bisexual?". A few picked up the tattoo.
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

calypso wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... attoo.html

With the new James Bond movie on hold while the studio behind the franchise, debt-ridden Metro Goldwyn Mayer, try and find a buyer, having a new source of income will probably be welcome to Mr Craig.

He's just shelled out £1.2million for a New York apartment to go with his £4million London home.
:rotfl:

Yes, DC is almost destitute.
agrippina

Post by agrippina »

A bit late to the Swedish accent discussion... But that is something I hope SO much they decide not to do.

One thing is that as a Finn I know exactly how it would need to sound and after the v. funny Russian/Polish/eastern European accent in Defiance I just don't have that much hope... Plus I wonder if they would be able to go with the funniest trait in the Swedish speaking Enlish. Usually they're very good, but the funny bit is they have enormous problems in getting g's and j's correct - they come often out sounding like the y in "you".

Secondly - and this is far more serious :wink: - Swedish men are a big joke here in Finland, they tend to be labeled as gay in general and a big part of it must be the way Swedes speak (softly, singingly, no hard sounds in the whole language)... I don't know how I would react to Daniel if he spoke with a horrible Swedish tilt - it would consume his utterly wonderful manliness sooooo completely. :lol:

I fear also I would laugh out loud every time he would open his mouth... I still remember a big movie theater full of people bursting out to laughter when Eva Green opens her mouth in the Golden Compass and introduces herself as Serafina Pekkala - it was just sooooo wrong...

Some friends who actually liked the books are also concerned that the depiction of the Swedish society so important in them will be seriously watered down and the whole thing will be turned into global melodramatic action. (Which will probably happen anyway. :roll:)
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I agree - those accents are always a danger and often go wrong. It seems certain, they won't, but since this is more or less made for the american market, they should and could go all american with it. It wouldn't harm the story in itsself to place it in the US. We'll see - one thing is for sure - Jess Plate could live of Daniel alone. Rain - DH, most likely in this for an american/cowboy accent :lol: "Howdie"

Lets hope for the best - he is getting better in accents. His Chicago one was said to be flawless..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

It will be filmed in Stockholm and not back to back...David Fincher not giving much away ..
Also notice the Airbender trailer...thats Noah Ringer who stars as Emmet in C&A

EXCLUSIVE: David Fincher Confirms There Are 'No Plans' For Back-To-Back 'Dragon Tattoo' Sequels
Posted 7 hrs ago by Kara Warner in News

When David Fincher stopped by to talk to MTV News at San Diego Comic-Con about his upcoming animated feature "The Goon," we had to ask about his plans for "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Living up to his notoriously press-shy, short answer prone persona, Fincher didn't reveal too many details about his film version of Stieg Larsson's international best-selling crime thriller, just that it will stick to the book's setting, Sweden.

"Stockholm. Uppsala. In the north," he said of the film's planned location. "You have to. What, are you going to put it in Seattle?" Laughter. "Seattle noir," he joked.

Fincher did not say whether he has found the actress to play his female lead, Lisbeth Salander, though he did admit that he's leaning in the direction of either an unknown or an established actress....

Fincher did admit that neither he nor Sony have plans to shoot the three books in the trilogy back-to-back, nor even necessarily continue past "Dragon Tattoo." "No, there's no plans for that right now," he said. "You got to make one that people want to see a sequel to before you can make a sequel."

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is set for release on December 21, 2011.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/07/27/th ... d-fincher/
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

The first part of a long article about the forth coming Dragon Tattoo film,
it says there are now 4 actresses left in the running to play Lisbeth..
you can read the rest by clicking on thie link...

The Daily Beast has learned exclusively the top four actresses in contention to play Stieg Larsson's punk heroine, Lisbeth Salander—and none are named Ellen Page or Natalie Portman.

Any day now, director David Fincher will change a young actress' life by giving her the starring role in the latest hyper-anticipated movie franchise: the English-language adaptation of Stieg Larsson's blockbuster crime thriller The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

The Daily Beast has learned exclusively that the role of brilliant hacker Lisbeth Salander has been narrowed down to four virtually unknown actresses: Australians , Sophie Lowestarring in the forthcoming thriller Blame, and Sarah Snook, (Sleeping Beauty), American Rooney Mara, who co-stars in Fincher's upcoming Facebook film The Social Network, and French actress Lea Seydoux, who appeared in Inglourious Basterds and Robin Hood.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... male-lead/
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

I got an old EW mag ( June 25 )where they talk to Fincher about the book and movie . It showed the covers of the book from 10 countries . Interesting .
khenton

Post by khenton »

Well, this comes under the heading of you snooze, you lose. The two days I don't read the forum. (I had to study and I was thinking addictions should be tested--limits and all that) and what happens DC shows up at ComCon, loads of new pics and he lands Tattoo. Was there ever a doubt. Face it the role and the actor were meant for one another. What fun!!!!!! We will be inundated w/ news.

Didn't care for the Swedish film of Tattoo. Didn't have the depth of the bood and played havoc with the characters. So hope these will be better. K
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Down to 3?

Real quick now, David Fincher who’s set to direct the adaptation of Stieg Larsson‘s THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO told MTV that the story will still be set in Sweden.. Stockholm and Uppsala to be exact. And even though Sony is hoping Fincher will stick around to adapt all three books, Fincher said there’s no actual plan to necessarily continue past TATTOO at this point, because he’s just focusing on making this one movie that people would want to see the sequel to, nor there are plans to shoot all three films back-to-back. On the casting note, The Daily Beast said star of Zack Snyder‘s upcoming female power action flick SUCKER PUNCH, Emily Browning has decided to take her name off the list in consideration for the female lead role Lisabeth Salander. It all comes down to 3 contenders now, Sara Snook, Rooney Mara and Sophie Lowe Recently Daniel Craig signed on to play the journalist Mikael Blomkvist…
This Europe’s best-selling phenomenon was already adapted in Sweden by filmmakers Niels Arden Oplev and Daniel Alfredson, but Sony’s version is to stay faithful to the novels instead of straight up remaking the Danish-Swedish films…
Oscar winning producer Scott Rudin (No Country For Old Men) who secured the rights, is set to produce this project along with Ole Sondberg and Søren Stærmose of Swedish production company Yellow Bird Films with Mikael Wallen and Anni Fernandez as executive producers.

http://ramascreen.com/finchers-the-girl ... lead-race/
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Don't you also think, that the problem with the Lisbeth role is, that the actresses shy away from the challenge of being as good as NR? Even more so the established actresses - if they fail in the comparison, they might be afraid it hurts their career. Not everybody is as brave with taken challenges as Daniel - many wanna play it save.

For once, it seems easier for him to surpass MN, becauee IMO he was good but not that incredible. In my book, Daniel can do better with his arms bend behind his back, since I missed depth in his portayal.