THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

I did have a question but I guess it's kinda been answered........ I picked up a copy of the Swedish version of the movie yesterday. I have no real intention of watching it, seeing as I would prefer to see Daniel's take on the role first. I was shocked and surprised to find that the movie was an 18 certificate and, under the description it said 'sexual violence' and I hate that kind of movie. I hope this movie is not so graphic that it would put me off seeing it! I refused to watch "Law Abiding Citizen" for that very reason. Mind you, it would take A LOT to put me off going to see Daniel in a movie. In fact, I just don't think I could do it. Plus, considering the movie is to be directed by David Fincher who directed the most horrendous and disturbing movie I have even seen ('Seven' with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman), I am now rather worried as to how this story will be handled. Even so, I know nothing more about the story than what I have read on here. This is also a controversial thought but, if the movie is ultra violent, could it actually damage Daniel's box-office bankability by putting off audience members who only know him through Bond???? I hasten to add that I am a firm believer in Daniels talent as an actor and do not necessarily think that doing 'Tattoo' would be a bad move for him. Having learnt about the violence contained in the story, it's just a new concern for me. Is there anybody out there who can assuage my fears or offer any thoughts on this subject?? I need educating......... :?
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

NBG, Mikael Blomkvist is not involved in the 'Graphic Sexual Violence' that is shown in the Swedish version of 'Dragon'.

IMO the graphic portrayal in necessary in letting us know how on the edge Lisbeth actually is. This is HER story, not Blomkvist's.

Can't say whether there are more incidents in the books, haven't read them yet.
Crazy!
khenton

Post by khenton »

The books are so dense. They contain alot of subplots and by the nature of making movies some of these will have to fall by the wayside. So there will be no pleasing everybody. I thought the Swedish Movie #1 mangled the characters of both Mikel and Lisbeth. That opinion and a couple of dollars will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. So I say that as with Bond they will make the best movie that they can. I can't wait. K.
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

khenton wrote:The books are so dense. They contain alot of subplots and by the nature of making movies some of these will have to fall by the wayside. So there will be no pleasing everybody. I thought the Swedish Movie #1 mangled the characters of both Mikel and Lisbeth. That opinion and a couple of dollars will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. So I say that as with Bond they will make the best movie that they can. I can't wait. K.
I am sure of one thing - they will make a different film. They might include things, the swedish version didn't have and visa versa, because the books - as you and everybody else says - contain so much, you can probably easily make two different films of it. Different ankles, different views. Didn't Fincher say, he didn't saw the original in order to really make his own film?
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

http://www.frontrowreviews.co.uk/genres ... um=twitter

Craig is due to be quite a busy chappy now, with three franchises virtually sitting at his door.

So what do you think of the choice? After hearing several names being thrown around include Craig’s but also Brad Pitt, George Clooney and Johnny Depp, do you believe this is the correct way to go? The journalist, Blomkvist is meant to embody the everyman while his essence is, hopefully, going to make use of the foreign roots of the novels.

They apearantly don't know, how "everyman" Daniel can be :lol: Well - they will find out. Those who saw ASR already know.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

http://www.cinematical.com/2010/08/01/i ... -salander/

Daniel Craig will be on-hand to read with the women, and they will have to perform with "full hair, makeup, wardrobe, and piercings treatment, which wasn't done in the earlier tests." Obviously, doing this will make sure the girl will not only have the acting chops, but will have chemistry with Mr. 007 and look comfortable enough in the ensemble that it won't be a 2-hour "nice girl plays dress-up" on the big screen

Should the tests go well, we should have our new -- and hopefully tough -- Lisbeth any day now

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Larsson's bestselling novels have already been adapted into films in the late journalist's native Sweden, but acclaimed filmmaker David Fincher is preparing to start work on an American version of the franchise, with Daniel Craig in the lead role.

Rumours are rife over who will play the female lead, Lisbeth Salander, in the first installment, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but Rapace, who played the role in all three of the Swedish adaptations, is adamant she won't accept the job.

She tells Britain's Total Film magazine, ""With the remake I've been very clear on that point from the beginning: it doesn't matter who is going to play Mikael Blomkvist, I'm finished.

""I love Fight Club and I think Seven is an amazing film. I think Fincher is one of the few directors in the world that can do something really good with it. But I'm done with her.

""I don't have this dream about Hollywood. I know that many actors, they want to go to Hollywood and they will do anything to get there. But for me it's more important to work with people and do projects that I deeply believe in and feel like I really have to do. If it ends up in Hollywood, that's fine.""

http://www.wtaq.com/news/articles/2010/ ... m-trilogy/

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Germangirl wrote: ""I don't have this dream about Hollywood. I know that many actors, they want to go to Hollywood and they will do anything to get there. But for me it's more important to work with people and do projects that I deeply believe in and feel like I really have to do. If it ends up in Hollywood, that's fine.""

http://www.wtaq.com/news/articles/2010/ ... m-trilogy/
What a pity she cannot be tempted to take the role......she sounds just like Daniel with what she says here.

That kind of artistic integrity is impossible to buy.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:-

What a pity she cannot be tempted to take the role......she sounds just like Daniel with what she says here.

I was thinking the same. But I can relate, that a role like this is exhausting in many ways and she has done it. If not H'wood and money is tempting her, there is no reason to do itIMO.

Look here - dunno, who the girl is, but she looks PERFECT - more true to the book description then NR. They should cast her.

http://girlwiththedragontattoo.blog.cz/

EDIT: Just saw, its only a private blog. Shame - someone should send her to Fincher asap...

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Germangirl wrote:
JEC57 wrote:-

I was thinking the same. But I can relate, that a role like this is exhausting in many ways and she has done it. If not H'wood and money is tempting her, there is no reason to do itIMO.

Look here - dunno, who the girl is, but she looks PERFECT - more true to the book description then NR. They should cast her.

http://girlwiththedragontattoo.blog.cz/
Yes, she does! :shock:

But can she act? She's going to have to hold her own against Daniel, who is formidable when he's pulling out all the stops for a gritty part.

Just had a thought about the asthetics of them as a pair. If they are going for a small and fragile looking woman, she is going to look all the more so against Daniel! :shock:

Okay, he's not overly tall, and he isn't packing too much muscle at the moment, but we can't get away from the fact that things like his big hands and his meaty fore-arms are going to make whoever she is look all the smaller.

And is it better to have an actress who looks the part but is a lesser talent, or have the better talent and sacrifice a little on the physical side?
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I just saw the second 'Fire' movie yesterday and loved it. I wanted to read the book first but couldn't wait. Daniel's part is SOOOO miniscule in that movie, but a friend assures me he's in the third a lot. I was surprised to see that the Lisbeth character didn't have top billing. It was 90% her. I'm sure due to star power, Daniel will have top billing, too.
calypso

Post by calypso »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
Laredo wrote:I think just casting is in LA .Exteriors in Sweden . Interiors ?

I have the movie waiting at the library for me .
I've read that exteriors will be shot in Stockholm and Uppsala and interiors back in LA.
i would say they will film in London and Australia too.
ImageImage
Linda

Post by Linda »

NextBondGirl wrote:I did have a question but I guess it's kinda been answered........ I picked up a copy of the Swedish version of the movie yesterday. I have no real intention of watching it, seeing as I would prefer to see Daniel's take on the role first. I was shocked and surprised to find that the movie was an 18 certificate and, under the description it said 'sexual violence' and I hate that kind of movie. I hope this movie is not so graphic that it would put me off seeing it! I refused to watch "Law Abiding Citizen" for that very reason. Mind you, it would take A LOT to put me off going to see Daniel in a movie. In fact, I just don't think I could do it. Plus, considering the movie is to be directed by David Fincher who directed the most horrendous and disturbing movie I have even seen ('Seven' with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman), I am now rather worried as to how this story will be handled. Even so, I know nothing more about the story than what I have read on here. This is also a controversial thought but, if the movie is ultra violent, could it actually damage Daniel's box-office bankability by putting off audience members who only know him through Bond???? I hasten to add that I am a firm believer in Daniels talent as an actor and do not necessarily think that doing 'Tattoo' would be a bad move for him. Having learnt about the violence contained in the story, it's just a new concern for me. Is there anybody out there who can assuage my fears or offer any thoughts on this subject?? I need educating......... :?
I did see Law Abiding Citizen only because other people picked it. It was a good movie, but I had trouble with the violence. Don't think the violence hurt Jerry what's his name at all. I have not see the Tatoo move, but have read the first two books, and am reading the third at the moment. I think the violent parts (and Daniel would not take part in these) could be done in a way not to show everything. I don't think it will hurt Daniel's box office bankability. I guess no one can assuage your fears until we have seen the move. Have faith that Daniel knows what he is doing
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Jarvis Joins The "Dragon Tattoo" Race?

By Garth Franklin Monday August 2nd 2010 05:48AM

"Fish Tank" star Katie Jarvis has joined the list of contenders to play Lisbeth Salander in David Fincher's English-language remake of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" reports Deadline.

Fincher tested a number of actresses this past week and unlike previous rounds, each of the candidates came in full costume and auditioned with Daniel Craig. The site lists Jarvis and the already announced Rooney Mara, Sarah Snook, Sophie Lowe and Lea Seydoux.

Yet they also list Ellen Page, Mia Wasikowska and Emily Browning whom it was thought had previously dropped out of the running.

It's expected an announcement of the casting is due very soon and rumors suggest Mara as being Fincher's personal choice for the role.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/17893
khenton

Post by khenton »

I think the violence inherent in the TATToo books is secondary to the characters or should be. That is what makes the melodrama acceptable. It is a sign of the times that filmmakers often feel the need to spell or show it all. But for me if the foundation is there for the violence in characterization and the filmmaker isn't doing the slasher thing then it makes sense. "Seven" was a toughy to watch but the acting, the writing and atmosphere saved the movie from being totally unwatchable.

So the tatto books have for me the selling point of macabre sex, violence and murder but enough characterization and social points (Lisbeth's eventual freedom from victumhood--such a word!) to make it understandable why they are selling so well. I read them all in one fell swoop and paid for the hardcover third novel. I was that hooked. K.

P.s. I didn't care for law abiding citz. Too much and over the top.

I apologize I am nothing if not opinionated. K.
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."