THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Germangirl wrote:Exactly the kind of critisism, I knew would happen. And maybe its even right at this point, even though I absolutely believe, C&A would have been the hit, they expected, had it been a better film. Nothing to do with DC, but they always look for the easy way out.

I say, the prods knew, who is is and knew, he hadn't exactly blown away audiences apart from Bond ( well, apart from the die hard fans like us :wink: ) - so, nothing has changed. Obviously they hired, who they thought was best for the role and he never lets anybody down on this prospect. I really don't believe, they overestimated his star power. Why would they? Based on what?

On the other hand, I believe, people, who will go and see the film, will do it regardless, who the actors are. They want to find out about the new Lisbeth and how the film compares to the swedish version, so yes, maybe advertise Lisbeth a bit more. She IS the more interesting character and the one, people are going to see. When they find out, there is a great MB as well - even better.

I think, Tattoo is THE career defining film for him. God beware, it tanks..after opening Friday, word of mouth will make or break it. IF the film is good and they don't nail him on his non-existant accent, everything will be fine and his arse is save for the moment.

This is the headline, I wanna see after opening weekend:

Daniel Craig - born to be James Bond? That was yesterday. After the last weekend its clear, he was born to be Mikael Blomkvist
Unfortunately there is a very real danger that the critics will do to this what they did to CA& - and going back in time, what they did to GC.

In that case the critics ran yellow in the face of powerful religious groups in the US who were determined the film was going to sink like a shipwreck, with a lot of noise and many casualties. The fact that it succeeded in the rest of the world proved it was not the flop some say it was.

It's also unfair to blame Daniel for the loss of awards for Defiance. The reason it "came up empty" was mostly political imo, and I'm not talking showbiz "politics".

Yes, C&A was nowhere near as good as it could have been. But it was a lot better than the critics encouraged people to think it was by their carping snipes, even before the damn film had been given a chance.

Maybe I'm just paranoid and overly-sensitive, but there seems to a concerted effort by many critics, primarily in the US, to sink anything that Daniel appears in.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I still believe, what makes or breaks a movie is word of mouth - no criutical review will be able to sink a film, that audiences like IMO- there are enough examples of that, like Pirates etc... so given Tattoo is a good film, audiences will reward that - the interest is too high - too many people gonna watch it to not be able to pull it off by word of mouth and f*** the critics.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

I have to admit that my dvd collection includes movies which star actors I have "fancied" over the last twenty years. This means Tom Cruise, Russell Crowe and Brad Pitt but not a single one of them match the calibre of talent that Daniel possesses (and this is not just a biased and lustful girl talking!). I 'got into' Brad Pitt when I was coming out of a disastrous relationship. I was depressed and needed something to distract me. It lasted for about 6 months, max. No, Brad Pitt is NOT an actor of note who is willing to live dangerously. His most dramatic role (Benjamin Button) was a good story but BP's non ability to communicate real raw emotion sucked a good bit of life out of the movie. The only real talent BP has (IMO) is for comedy. He should be in a movie like the Hangover. He should accept his limitations and stop going after movies where a good deal of "dramatic grit" is required. I call my period of fancying BP 'being in love with death', mainly because it was his roles in Interview with the Vampire and Legends of the Fall which sucked me in. These movies were gloomy and morbid soap operas which used BP's looks in an attempt to gloss over his failings as a dramatic actor. Why does any director / producer give Brad, Tom Cruise or George Clooney a job?? Because they are easy on the eye and because the majority of uneducated cinema audiences seem to like them. That does not mean that they are 'the best' at what they do. In the latest edition of Empire, the creator of the 'Reacher' character (which Tom Cruise is slated to play) has the audacity to call TC "the leading / best actor of his generation". By what merits are we measuring here?? I guess he has a creative obligation to say that in order to sell his movie. I will admit that TC did good work in 'Born on the 4th of July' and 'Interview...' but these days, he has sold what acting talent he has to become a go-to action star and, generally action adventure movies do not create stand-out actors (even though I enjoy this genre).

Daniel bucks all the trends of the typical Hollywood leading man and he does it with such subtlety, not that many people give it much thought. I've said it often enough in the past... I WISH I'd discovered Daniel a lot earlier than 2006. I've missed out on years of hard graft and dedication to his craft and I'm still trying to catch up. Bond was the eye-opener and, if that's the one that did it, I will accept Daniels decision to take on the role gladly. The only one 'in charge' of his career trajectory is him and, so far, I think he's played things pretty well. Despite unschooled, miserly critics, the only other actors of leading man stature who can hold up to Daniel is Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jnr (again, IMO). But even then, JD only excels in gothic horror or kiddie comedy and RDJ is just a little too 'shambolic' to really step up to the plate and make a role dynamically his own. Which falls to Daniel. GWDT must raise his profile as an actor to be contended with both in Europe and USA. Daniel has already admitted he has "accepted" the fact that he may be typecast as Bond but I wholeheartedly reject this theory. He really can adapt and change to the demands of Hollyweird if he chooses to do this. He can prove to them that acting well isn't just about looking good on screen (although he's got that down pat too... :wink: )

Sorry, I've rambled on a bit here but this is a subject that is really close to my heart. It is important that others recognise Daniels talent as an actor. Nobody deserves it more than him... Academy take note!!

(PS. I was a teensy bit disappointed in the Empire Magazine article on GWDT. It focussed on Mara and Fincher almost completely, giving Daniel only one quote. I was slightly happier when DF compared his two leads to cats saying that they are both 'very feline'. DF was nothing but full of praise for Daniel which I am thankful for at least!)......... :)
tampa

Post by tampa »

Fantastic post bondgirl. Agree totally with every point you make. Really perceptive. Thank you.
tampa

Post by tampa »

JEC57 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:Exactly the kind of critisism, I knew would happen. And maybe its even right at this point, even though I absolutely believe, C&A would have been the hit, they expected, had it been a better film. Nothing to do with DC, but they always look for the easy way out.

I say, the prods knew, who is is and knew, he hadn't exactly blown away audiences apart from Bond ( well, apart from the die hard fans like us :wink: ) - so, nothing has changed. Obviously they hired, who they thought was best for the role and he never lets anybody down on this prospect. I really don't believe, they overestimated his star power. Why would they? Based on what?

On the other hand, I believe, people, who will go and see the film, will do it regardless, who the actors are. They want to find out about the new Lisbeth and how the film compares to the swedish version, so yes, maybe advertise Lisbeth a bit more. She IS the more interesting character and the one, people are going to see. When they find out, there is a great MB as well - even better.

I think, Tattoo is THE career defining film for him. God beware, it tanks..after opening Friday, word of mouth will make or break it. IF the film is good and they don't nail him on his non-existant accent, everything will be fine and his arse is save for the moment.

This is the headline, I wanna see after opening weekend:

Daniel Craig - born to be James Bond? That was yesterday. After the last weekend its clear, he was born to be Mikael Blomkvist
Unfortunately there is a very real danger that the critics will do to this what they did to CA& - and going back in time, what they did to GC.

In that case the critics ran yellow in the face of powerful religious groups in the US who were determined the film was going to sink like a shipwreck, with a lot of noise and many casualties. The fact that it succeeded in the rest of the world proved it was not the flop some say it was.

It's also unfair to blame Daniel for the loss of awards for Defiance. The reason it "came up empty" was mostly political imo, and I'm not talking showbiz "politics".

Yes, C&A was nowhere near as good as it could have been. But it was a lot better than the critics encouraged people to think it was by their carping snipes, even before the damn film had been given a chance.

Maybe I'm just paranoid and overly-sensitive, but there seems to a concerted effort by many critics, primarily in the US, to sink anything that Daniel appears in.
I think there is something weird about this bashing, by mostly male critics. That Yahoo article was really nasty. Typical type of DC bashing from certain quarters. Daniel playing Bond can make men feel very defensive. They want to cut him down to size in a way they wouldn't bother with other stars. I think there is some serious jealousy thing going on. And now he has RW as his wife, and that proably adds to some type of resentment of him. I do really hate the free ride I think the Clooney's, Pitts, Damons etc. get with their many bombs. But I do also fear Tattoo's fate. It has to be good, and it has to be successful, or DC will have a very rough year. It it is a hit, he will be in great shape starting to film Bond.
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

tampa wrote: I think there is something weird about this bashing, by mostly male critics. That Yahoo article was really nasty. Typical type of DC bashing from certain quarters. Daniel playing Bond can make men feel very defensive. They want to cut him down to size in a way they wouldn't bother with other stars. I think there is some serious jealousy thing going on. And now he has RW as his wife, and that proably adds to some type of resentment of him. I do really hate the free ride I think the Clooney's, Pitts, Damons etc. get with their many bombs. But I do also fear Tattoo's fate. It has to be good, and it has to be successful, or DC will have a very rough year. It it is a hit, he will be in great shape starting to film Bond.
:stick_iagree: Some good points there Tampa.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

TGWTDT red band trailer (2nd) coming soon!!
http://albertafilmratings.ca/recentclasstrailers.aspx
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Lu

Post by Lu »

Unfortunately I think our hero has a very big PR problem. He comes across as an arrogant prick, and American audiences anyway are very sensitive to that. I mean, Brad Pitt can be an ass, but he'll do the whole "aw shucks I'm sorry" shuffle and smile for a zillion pictures with his wife and kids, and lo and behold, his movie gets great reviews and a huge opening. Daniel does promo only reluctantly and claims again and again that he deserves privacy, blah blah blah. I think it turns people off, especially the very journalist-type people who create his image out in the world.

Up until now, he has been able to depend on the support of powerful producer and director friends who recognize his talent, but I'm afraid that will go away when they realize he doesn't have the charisma (or fan base) to fill movie seats. I am really worried for him. I think he's made a lot of enemies in the entertainment press.
My books!

khenton

Post by khenton »

Oh well, better stock up on on Daniel pics and vids for the dark days ahead. :wink: :wink: k
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

I am feeling the American audiance doesn't really know where to put Daniel,
he is so manly, women are turned on by him as men are too,
They are able to put him in the role of Bond as it was the first time the American audiance was introduced to him.
The majority never heard of him before that, then they see him in Invasion,
Defiance, FBOAF, which none went over that well,
then we get all worked up for a Cowboy, some American's said what? a Brit Cowboy, I digress for a moment, after Bond people poked around to find out about him and see he doesn't like interviews, paps, he does well at the premiers and comes across well but then goes back into his shell,
I agree with some other posts, Brad Pitt, acts up and then gets all shucks like, Daniel just keeps moving forward and says fuck you, I am going to do the work I like to do,
So, jsut my take on things, just my opinon,
tampa

Post by tampa »

Lu wrote:Unfortunately I think our hero has a very big PR problem. He comes across as an arrogant prick, and American audiences anyway are very sensitive to that. I mean, Brad Pitt can be an ass, but he'll do the whole "aw shucks I'm sorry" shuffle and smile for a zillion pictures with his wife and kids, and lo and behold, his movie gets great reviews and a huge opening. Daniel does promo only reluctantly and claims again and again that he deserves privacy, blah blah blah. I think it turns people off, especially the very journalist-type people who create his image out in the world.

Up until now, he has been able to depend on the support of powerful producer and director friends who recognize his talent, but I'm afraid that will go away when they realize he doesn't have the charisma (or fan base) to fill movie seats. I am really worried for him. I think he's made a lot of enemies in the entertainment press.
I don't agree with some of your points. Pitts last movie, thought it got great reviews, was a bomb. His current film, also well reviewed, did not have a "huge" opening at all. Moneyball's opening weekend was about $19 million. C&A opened with $37 million. Pitts last big hit was Benjamin Button, a few years ago. Daniel is stubborn about his privacy. He isn't stupid. He knows he could have sold his wedding pictures, posed with Rachel for tons of press. I actually respect him for drawing the line on his private life. Jolie and Pitt selling pictures of their kids "for charity" stink. I think a lot of DC's actions on this related to his trying to protect his daughter when she was younger, and now the desire for him and Rachel to hopefully stay out of the tabs.

Yes, I agree, he needs to strike a better balance on PR, but he did plenty for C&A. The decision to not do press for DH had nothing to do with the privacy bit, it was due to the film getting butchered. None of the cast did press, not just DC. I think one of his biggest problems is that he hates the paps because they make his life miserable when he is trying to lead a normal life outside. He could, and will probably be forced to, just avoid going out in public all together. The paps will taunt stars to get a reaction. It sells their pics better. Plenty of major stars look angry, miserable ete. when they are papped. I think his PR issues are far more complicated then the press thinking he is is an "arrogant prick." I think plenty of them have found him unpretentious and cooperative about discussing his work. He just won't talk about his private life.

As for his films bombing and he can't fill seats, it is not so simple. C&A grossed $100 million in the states. Many films would have been classified as big hits with that US gross. The film just cost too much. DH was butchered by the production co. The "failure" of these two films is complicated - and neither filmed failed because of him. The Clooneys, Pitts, and Damons have all had big runs of bombs in the last few years. The day when a star can guarantee a hit are gone. Depp and Jolie (the biggest male and female stars in the world) could not make the Tourist a hit in the US. It's complicated when films fail. It's too simple to say it is a stars fault (DC or most any of them).
caramel

Post by caramel »

Lu wrote:Unfortunately I think our hero has a very big PR problem. He comes across as an arrogant prick, and American audiences anyway are very sensitive to that. I mean, Brad Pitt can be an ass, but he'll do the whole "aw shucks I'm sorry" shuffle and smile for a zillion pictures with his wife and kids, and lo and behold, his movie gets great reviews and a huge opening. Daniel does promo only reluctantly and claims again and again that he deserves privacy, blah blah blah. I think it turns people off, especially the very journalist-type people who create his image out in the world.

Sorry I totally disagree.
I think whatever DC is doing is great. He should do whatever he thinks is right for him. Brad gets away with it by first of all showing he has absolutely no class (going by the recent drama) and then trying his so called charm to mollify the damage he has done just so his movies do well, that is just fake fake fake :vomit:
I hope DC has more integrity than to be another fake in that world. He is different and I love him for that.
From what we hear he has great rapport with the people working with him and he is utterly charming in the interviews and the red carpet!! What more do we need? If the movies tank it is NOT because he refuses to kiss people's ass. It is because the latest movies were TBH were not that great. That is so not his fault.
Imagine if he did cartwheels to please the masses and still the movies did badly. What then? I guess whatever he does it is not gonna please somebody. So he might as well be himself.

yes, tampa well said!
khenton

Post by khenton »

Tampa and Carmel :stick_iagree: I don't think he could have done more press for C&A. Crikey I have an entire memory stick of that alone. And thank you both for articulating. Cant remember who pointed out that everybody's Mr. Nice Guy Mr Hanks couldn't make his last film a hit. And I'll be interested to see how Real Steel does and whose nicer and more accomodating than our Aussie Friend. Mr Jackman. The press is like a starving dog IMO all they want to be is fed all the time and they're not fussy. The rawer the better. :wink: k
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

khenton wrote:Tampa and Carmel :stick_iagree: I don't think he could have done more press for C&A. Crikey I have an entire memory stick of that alone. And thank you both for articulating. Cant remember who pointed out that everybody's Mr. Nice Guy Mr Hanks couldn't make his last film a hit. And I'll be interested to see how Real Steel does and whose nicer and more accomodating than our Aussie Friend. Mr Jackman. The press is like a starving dog IMO all they want to be is fed all the time and they're not fussy. The rawer the better. :wink: k
Real Steel is getting terrible reviews
tampa

Post by tampa »

khenton wrote:Tampa and Carmel :stick_iagree: I don't think he could have done more press for C&A. Crikey I have an entire memory stick of that alone. And thank you both for articulating. Cant remember who pointed out that everybody's Mr. Nice Guy Mr Hanks couldn't make his last film a hit. And I'll be interested to see how Real Steel does and whose nicer and more accomodating than our Aussie Friend. Mr Jackman. The press is like a starving dog IMO all they want to be is fed all the time and they're not fussy. The rawer the better. :wink: k
Yep, the press love press loving stars Jackman. They make more money off of them with lots of articles, so they push them as just wonderful. Lanie is gushing over him, and trashing DC daily. Jackman seems so eager to please - it is one of the things I don't like about him. He is a nice guy, just way too nice. I don't think I love any star that just loves the press. Ick. I like Daniel's toughness and attitude. I guess it's just part of his appeal to me.