THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

tbossmc2000 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:Its very interesting, that no one is even close to my opinion (you rarely are, when I am having on my serious head :wink:).

Folks, I hope, hope, HOPE......you are right. About ALL the positive aspects you are quoting here, that I can't see. Being in the minority might mean, I am all wrong and here, that would be a good thing.

I like this one best:

The feel-bad movie of Christmas might turn into the must-see film of New Year's for adults.
GG, the reality is our economy is in the toilet, people are out of jobs, families are homeless, that is in my serious head.
I have nothing in my life other than to be positive.
I keep saying this, there is no right or wrong, there is room for both. We all have our opinions about things.
Don't be so hard on yourself.
Thanks Boss, its all good. We all envision things differently and come to different conclusions. That's what makes it interesting. For now, I am all for there being such a thing as wrong, meaning my "facts" are proved as crap.

I do agree on one thing though - this film might really just take off after the holidays. Would make sense to me...
Last edited by Germangirl on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

The cinema was again about 1/2 full today, and the audience mix was across the board from young people in their 20s to people obviously in their 60s. There was a roughly even mix of male and female.

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Germangirl wrote:
tbossmc2000 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:Its very interesting, that no one is even close to my opinion (you rarely are, when I am having on my serious head :wink:).

Folks, I hope, hope, HOPE......you are right. About ALL the positive aspects you are quoting here, that I can't see. Being in the minority might mean, I am all wrong and here, that would be a good thing.

I like this one best:

The feel-bad movie of Christmas might turn into the must-see film of New Year's for adults.
GG, the reality is our economy is in the toilet, people are out of jobs, families are homeless, that is in my serious head.
I keep saying this, there is no right or wrong, there is room for both. We all have our opinions about things.
Thanks Boss, its all good. We all envision things differently and come to different conclusions. That's what makes it interesting. For now, I am all for there being such a thing as wrong, meaning my "facts" are proved as crap.

I do agree on one thing though - this film might really just take off after the holidays. Would make sense to me...
I was in our town center the other day, there were more people going into the local community center (aka the Apple store) than there were going into the cinema. I think Tboss is right, the cinema is an event for many these days, it costs a fortune and those with the money clearly would rather be spending it on buying their teens the latest iPad for Christmas. Sorry, I'm grumpy trousers over here.
Lu

Post by Lu »

I feel bad now because we took the kids to see the Chipmunk movie the day DT came out. :oops: The fact is the holidays aren't the time for r-rated date movies in the US. People are either traveling to be with their families, or their kids are out of school, or whatever. It's not the time you're like, "Oh hey, I'm going out to see a dark, rapey, depressing movie. Wanna come?" when you're sitting around the Christmas tree having turkey with Grandma Judy.

Me and husband are planning to get a babysitter and see it next week but honestly if it wasn't for DC we wouldn't be going. We'd see Sherlock Holmes. :oops: Less depressing.

As for Daniel's repeated flops, I've said before why I think American audiences aren't coming out for him, so I won't repeat it again and endure everyone's displeasure. Still, I feel for him. He is working hard, I would have wished him more success this year. :cry:
My books!

tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

bumblebee wrote:
Germangirl wrote:
tbossmc2000 wrote: GG, the reality is our economy is in the toilet, people are out of jobs, families are homeless, that is in my serious head.

I was in our town center the other day, there were more people going into the local community center (aka the Apple store) than there were going into the cinema. I think Tboss is right, the cinema is an event for many these days, it costs a fortune and those with the money clearly would rather be spending it on buying their teens the latest iPad for Christmas. Sorry, I'm grumpy trousers over here.
I for 1 in the economy is at the bottom of the food chain, people are not thinking of traveling when morgages have to be paid and school clothes for the kids and food on the table. Tattoo will come out OK with date nights, New Years and playing for a while, in the small town where I live it's playing in 4 theater's and in 2 screens in the multiplex. Not bad I would say.
I did think I would see more gothic 20ish kids, the 3 times I saw it there were mostly middle aged people and what I would think were the ones that read the books.
Mrs. B, your not grumpy trousers, it's just the state of our economy.
Cyanaurora

Post by Cyanaurora »

Went again today. The first showing of the day is 1/2 price :D
Again it was mostly older men, except a VERY elderly couple behind me. I thought maybe the gentle men was blind, since he kept saying "What's going on?" over and over :roll:

I looked after the show and he wasn't, I guess he was just confused.

The theater was 1/2 full and is being played on 2 screens. I may have to go again to see it with out the old women's commentary :D
Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

wow that post JEC57 I want to stand up & applaud!

to me what he has to do now is do what Colin Farrell did after Alexander.
He has so many amazing films after that flop & I truly became his fan even if before he was just another pretty face for me.
Id like him to return to playing great supporting roles in interesting films a la Infamous, Munich etc :sigh:
he can earn his money as Bond or play some interesting over the top villain.
+Why not work with Matthew Vaughn & Roger Mitchell again>3
+ A steady rain was a huge success so shy not do more theater.
so generally Id like him to do less blockbusters & action movies.
& too bad he doesnt want to do comedies but imo he'd succeed to much if he only tried. R rated one for example. he could be hilarious! :lol: 8)

but Im proud of TGWTDT anyway/ Its a movie Im not ashamed to say I liked not only bc of Daniel. Im proud of Tin Tin as well.
These 2 are very good movies. poor BO won't hurt them in my eyes.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Oh my, I should refrain from posting as I, in no way, want to alienate anyone who posts here. I love our different perspectives; it makes this place so interesting. But I have some strong feelings about some of the topics. Sorry!

Just my thoughts on a few of the mentioned topics follow. In some instances, I'm just repeating what has already been said.

1. Movie being a financial flop - I just don't see it happening - at least not yet. Christmas is family time. Obviously, this isn't a family movie. Not even kids 18 want to see this subject with their parents. My friends are starting to see the movie this week.

2. Subtitles - I go to subtitled movies, but I hate to read the screen. I can't watch the movie and read at the same time. I have the type of eyes that can only focus on one or the other.

3. Daniel's career in a downturn - Seriously????? Tattoo was never meant to be a Daniel Craig movie. It sure wasn't meant to be a Rooney Mara movie, and she is the star. It is David Fincher movie. I challenge anyone to say that the entire cast wasn't anything but superb. Every single performer. Daniel's talent is certainly recognized by Hollywood heavyweights, critics, and moviegoers.

4. Daniel go home with his tail between his legs and act in indies? - WHAT??? He is a bonafide leading man, a director's favorite. He may do indies because he wants to, but he's an A-lister now. As K says, Hollywood is the place dreams are made of. There isn't an actor alive who wouldn't love to be a Hollywood A-lister and work with Spielberg, Fincher, Newman, etc. OMG, I can't imagine the level of envy Jude Law has of Daniel's career. Daniel's light will dim one day when he is older - Eastwood, Pacino, Newman, etc... but not yet.

5. Daniel's eyes, butt, muscles, etc., all being detractors to the recognition of his abilities - I disagree! Leading men are handsome - period. Newman. Redford. Pacino. Gere. Pitt. Clooney, (as much as I hate to admit it - Cruise in 'Top Gun') and all the old-time ones. I don't want to go to the movies and just watch average looking guys on screen. Movie stars, women and men, are better looking or have an 'it' factor that the rest of us don't have. I can't tell you how many times I saw 'Pretty Woman' because of Richard Gere. One can look hot and act too. Anyway, Daniel showed far more skin in his indie days than he does now - darn it. We saw more of the rapist pig's skin in the GDT than we did Daniel's.

6. I don't think Daniel has to be studied or understood to be appreciated on screen. There's no time for him to develop into a fine wine. He's not Daniel on screen; he plays a character. And we all know he does it convincingly. He's James Bond within the first second of footage. He is Mikael within the first second. He is Joe Scott within the first second. He's just an excellent actor who got his international break a bit late at the age of 36 or so. In GDT, I know of no review that says anything negative or neutral about his performance.

7. Bad economy - Of course it makes a difference, but the actuaries take that into consideration when forecasting revenue. It used to be cheap to take the family to the ballpark for a baseball game. Now it's over a hundred dollars. The multimillion dollar salaries of athletes are to blame. Maybe actors' salaries are inflated beyond what's sustainable; I don't know.

8. Hollywood being weird - Of course it has it's weird aspect, but the American film industry invented and continually reinvents moviemaking. Just think of Industrial Light and Magic, Lucasfilm (also developed THX). Look at the beauty of films like Fincher's GDT. Consider the fabulous and thought provoking movies that are made. Not all are worthy of admission or producing, but many are. And they inspire foreign films to be better. The highest award to anyone in the industry is Hollywood's Oscar.

It's just my opinion that NO ONE should feel sorry for Daniel. Not at all. I don't think he's feeling sorry for himself.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

What a lovely read, sf. Really - I just wish, I could share your opimism.

The prods and directors might love him to bits, but at the end of the day, his films - and I take Tattoo out of this for now, as I also feel, it might make money in the coming weeks - ALL his films after QOS lost money and this year, big time. They will think twice before casting him. The film industry is about money, its not a love fest. TinTin is not really a Daniel film IMO and it also flops in the US, fortunately not abroad.

And yes, I feel sorry for him. If you put in effort into something, you want it to turn out well - if not - you are disappointed. He has had disappointment after disappointment. I wouldn't know, what to believe anymore and IN what to believe anymore. The best prods, the best directors etc and still - no success.
The failures of people like Depp etc show, that it is not all about the leading actor, but where do you look for the reasons? And it will be easy to brand him as BO poison.

If anything, I wouldn't consider his career as booming just now, but there is no way of knowing, where it will lead him. Nothing is lost just yet, but I wished, he was in a better position to go on.

Your point 5 about leading men being handsome. TOTALLY agree - they have to have the certain something, otherwise I could just look around the supermarket. He has it all and more I agree, that it doesn't distract from his fine acting, but yes, you have to watch closely to see the nuances in a world, where overacting is common.

I remember a recent interview, where they asked about Indie films etc and if he wants to do them again. His answer was "I might have to" - which to me indicates, that this in NOT, what he really wants to be FORCED to do, because other roles are not available anymore to him. He enjoys too much the atmosphere on big sets, the option of using just the best people and material available, to elaborate on trying to make it the best film possible because all of above plus enough money is available. He is spoiled now and going back would be hard, if out of necessity.

BTW - for some reason, I see him doing really well once is leading man days are over. There are lots of juicy roles for a man, who is a character actor more then anything else. Also - just a gut feeling - I see him directing and producing in those later years - absolutely.

sf, again - I love your post and despite my musings, there is alwayys the chance, that those, who think positive win the day. I hope...

Sorry for the long post... :oops:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

SF and GG....fabulous posts from both of you! You managed to capture both ends of the spectrum of opinion extremely well. :clapclap:

I guess I fall somewherre in the middle, agreeing with bits of each but not completely with both.

I think my problem is longevity. I've watched Daniel grow up the screen and I guess when things get a little uncertain out there my instinct is to get defensive over any brickbats that may come his way, and I get over-protective in wanting him to come home where he is safe in the cocoon of the home-grown industry that nurtured him.

Having said all that, I will always distrust the machinations behind scenes in Hollyweird. Often what gets put on the screen IS magic, but I have a nature which tends to look at the blood stains swept under the carpet, the broken hearts and the broken dreams. No-one should have to suffer like that just to bring us pleasure.
Last edited by JEC57 on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-fSyOsdUfU

JaninLincoln Jan Kemp
Had to eat festive Humble Pie. Daniel Craig makes a VERY good Blomkvist. #girlwithdragontattoo
Last edited by Germangirl on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

My pennys worth, reading some of these handkerchief wrenching posts seems to have missed the mark when it comes to Daniel, wishing him home to the bosom of our hearts rather presumes that he was ever ours to begin with. You do not stop a child from walking if they stumble and fall, so why are some of us wishing he had never ventured from home.

If he had wanted his career measured by box office success he would have sold out years ago, set aside his own personal goals taken the easy route and made popular entertainment. In case some of us have forgotten his career has been built on risk taking which does not guarantee success.

If he did not have the eyes and ears of people in the business there is no way that he would have been chosen to be Bond if a flat-lining franchise did not have the confidence in him to imbue something special into their character to bring it back to life. Likewise, they could have gone the easier route and chosen Pitt for Blomquist.

If you take for example Streep, I would argue that she has garnered critical acclaim and accolades by critics, but is not in general someone who puts bums on seats. Forgive me if I’m wrong but isn’t her greatest box office to date Mama Mia, and who would put their hands up and say that was the best film she has made.

C & A may have been a box office let down, (how many summer blockbusters actually made it big this year and most of them had 3D Revenue to boot) but is by no means a disaster DVD sales can attest to that. Tintin is doing fine, TGWDT is a hard R film which has a restrictive market and is doing well if you consider it’s being shown in less theatres, no IMAX, and 3D ticket costs massaging the underlining trend of low revenues all round. Dream House, got fucked up by the Director and Studios, but the actors involved did their job.

All this doom and gloom is rather myopic, there are no AListers that can guarantee a return for money invested. For example, funny how the failure of J Edgar is rather muted. Moneyball was an easy sell, had a $50M budget geared for the home market and made 72% of its revenues domestically.

Success is however you want to measure it and in Daniel’s case I would say most times it’s knowing that he’s done a good job, gets respect from his peers, knowing he can and has the ability to mix things up and he enjoys walking the tight rope and and if he falls down he will get back up and try again because he is doing something he loves.
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Actually many good tweets about Daniel, that I won't post here.

This just an example

MC_Lawless Nick
@xxxBiBiJones saw it last night aswell with my mates. Daniel Craig is just pure awesomeness

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

JEC57, sf2la, GG, Khenton & Honeyjes....... ALL of you put your opinions forward so elequently, I don't see how I can improve on them. 8) Safe to say, I think we just care so much about Daniels career and talent, we just want what's best for him. I saw GWDT for the first time last night and was completely blown away by it. But by the movie as a whole and not just Daniel's performance. It has to garner repeated viewings and I just hope that the cinema keeps it on for long enough for everyone who wants to see it, to see it. I still maintain that it is the economy that can be blamed for the downturn in movie attendances. I could watch GWDT at least twice a week but do I have the money to pay for that many cinema trips? Very doubtful considering the time of year.

I just want Daniel to do what he does best - act his goddamn socks off. I will never stop believing in his talent and I simply hope his career is very long and equally as fruitful. :)
caramel

Post by caramel »

Awww honeyjes and sf2la - you guys said it so perfectly..... :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

sf - particularly loved loved loved your #4 and #8 :wink: do u do mind-reading by any chance?