THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

From what i have heard him say, its one of these "I am not stupid" indicating that, even though he is not and I think, will never be greedy, he doesn't see it as overly smart to sell himself short. IMO its a matter of principle. Lets see - he got 6 mill for Tattoo and probably not more for the sequel. For H'wood standards this is not much money.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

caramel

Post by caramel »

Dunda wrote:It's making the news

Daniel Craig could be written out of "Girl Who Played With Fire" as the studio looks to cut costs for a sequel.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/g ... ats-416621

The second book revolves around Lisbeth much more than the first one.....
Blomkvist doesn't have to appear, it would be possible to let Armasky (or any other "colleagues" of Lisbeth) do the research that Blomkvist does in the second book. But I don't think there is truth to it......
"Sources close to the project say the biggest holdup isn't Fincher's involvement but star Daniel Craig's. The studio has options on Craig for two sequels, but the actor is said to want a pay raise, not a cut, in the wake of Skyfall grossing $1 billion worldwide.
If Sony can't bring Craig back to reprise his role as journalist Mikael Blomkvist, the sources say the studio could write the character out of the sequel.
(A Craig source says negotiations have yet to commence but the actor wants to return to the role.)"

I don't remember much of what happens in this story especially Blomkvist's part. A multitude of chars get introduced. Blomkvist and Lisbeth don't interact apart from the fight at the very end.
But still writing that char off just to save a few millions doesn't sound right. Doesn't he come back in the third book? How will they tie the 2 movies together if MB isn't there for the 2nd one?
Hope they don't replace Daniel with someone else :|

Or do they think Rooney and her dimples will be enough to lure the audience? :roll:

I don't know what to make of Daniel wanting a pay raise for this. He knows his role isn't that big; he himself said that. It might be a much shorter shoot for him too. Hope that part is BS.
And it doesn't sound like Daniel was the main reason for holding things back either. Fincher and Rooney have both been busy.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

If they want they can totally cut out Blomkvist. He's a minor charcter in the second book and even in the third he's only investigating to get Lisbeth out of jail.
That "invastigating work" could be easily done by another character of the book, so that there would be no need to replace the actor playing Blomkvist.

But it would take away from the soul of the books: the Salander-Blomkvist relationship. Even when they are not together in many scenes, the dynamic of their relationship makes the story go futher.

The article states that Daniel wants a raise due to the success of Skyfall, and on the other side they are claiming that the salery is supposed to be cut. So all other actors will get less and Daniel wants more? Not very likely........

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

It could very well be bs, as from what I know, it was the studio being hesistant to do the sequels at all, because they didn't make the expected 300 mill. Fincher so far hasn't committed either and Daniel is not known to go out of his way to raise his paycheck. Just what he thinks is right - so all in all, until a REAL source confirms it, I treat it with a HUGE grain of salt. And if I KNOW one thing, he hasn't turned into a moneychasing a**h*** just because he made a successful film. I don't trust his next choice of clothes or even his next choice of film, but I have trust in hhim where stuff like that is concerned.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

spunsugar

Post by spunsugar »

if they cut out Blomkvist it would mean how narrow minded these people are since Lisbeth-Michael motif is crucial for the whole story .... well I hope it'll end up fine due to the compromise they all can reach
Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

It seems absurd to cut Blomkvist from the story. It could be done though maybe a new reporter somewhere takes an interest in the Salander story and tries to uncover the truth. It is perfectly feasible. Also it wouldn't be particularly difficult either, all that really needs to be changed his is back-story as Lisbeth and Blomkvist dont interact in the book.

I really hope they don't get rid of Daniel. It seems foolish to sack him after the success of SF but I do question what worth the project would hold to Daniel if Fincher did drop out. He is the big sell on the 'Girl' series for me; No Fincher? Then my interest is seriously diminished.

I think if Fincher wants back in, Craig will follow suit. Untill then I imagine Daniel's playing hard ball and props to him; a lot of directors are probably coming to him with far more exciting films than 'Played with Fire'.
caramel

Post by caramel »

http://collider.com/girl-who-played-wit ... iel-craig/

Sony has more on its plate right now than just worries about Craig’s salary for Girl Who Played with Fire.
Mara, after all, is a rising talent (case in point: she headlines next week’s Side Effects), so bringing her back might become more expensive as time goes on.
There’s also Fincher’s original proposal to consider, ie. shooting the second and third installments, including Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, back-to-back; that could allow for the cost-cutting Sony wants.
However, this approach requires waiting upwards of an extra year for either Zallian or another screenwriter to adapt Larsson’s third book.
In short: there are some hard choices to be made here, by Sony and Fincher alike.
http://screenrant.com/girl-played-fire- ... iel-craig/

Well if they cannot come to an understanding and proceed with Daniel, then I would rather the project gets shelved indefinitely.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks C, this brings a bit more prospective and makes more sense to me. IMO the momentum for the sequels is over and people have moved on. I am not sure, the interest is still there.

But I was wondering about you guys thinking, they could easily cut him. This is not what I remember.

Here is a quote from someone, who mirrors my thoughts.

Actually, Blomkvist is in #2 A LOT. And I mean A LOT. Basically every single crucial plot point has Blomkvist in it, and you spend more than a hundred and fifty pages with him, with absolutely no Lisbeth in sight! You live the story through him for so much of it there's no way they can cut him out, especially when his actions literally save the plot more than a few times.

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

A spiteful piece about this on Lainey Gossip, but not from Lainey herself:

http://www.laineygossip.com/Is-Daniel-C ... quel/25833
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

The tweets are buzzing with it, but I have seen too much of this to really just believe it because...not good for his reputation though. If he didn't ask for it, its once again one of these things thrown at him for no reason. We will see...but its true, that he hasn't proved himself outside of Bond and hence, shouldn't overdo it. This is what the paohpers are indicating and they are right in this. This is what makes me believe, he didn't do it.

But Liev? Really..no way...ridiculous.

This is what rings true and I think, Daniel feels the same, so why would he change into a money monster? No reason for it.
Sony is going to keep making these Millennium films whether anyone really wants them or not. Frankly, Craig should be more concerned with consolidating his non-Bond position in the marketplace than squeezing every cent he can. The question isn’t how much money can he make right now; it’s what is his earning potential after Bond? Getting bounced out of a high-profile franchise doesn’t bode well for that inevitable future.

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

I think the rumor is bs. And I also think Sony isn't interested to continue. Sony claimed they want to do the sequels when they released it in cinema and later on DVD. This is a common strategy by big studios to not frighten the audience when the audience is undecided if they want to watch the movie or buy the DVD.

If they really want to continue they can't effort a cut out of Mikael or a replacement. It always backlashes.
caramel

Post by caramel »

Maybelline wrote:I think the rumor is bs. And I also think Sony isn't interested to continue. Sony claimed they want to do the sequels when they released it in cinema and later on DVD. This is a common strategy by big studios to not frighten the audience when the audience is undecided if they want to watch the movie or buy the DVD.

If they really want to continue they can't effort a cut out of Mikael or a replacement. It always backlashes.
Yeah there should be more to the story, but it is sad to see him being painted as the bad guy :mad: :sad:

"Our guess? This all sounds like negotiation tactic stuff, and we don't see Craig leaving, if only for the fact that his exit would likely cause more problems than it could solve.
The endgame here is that Sony wants to cut down the $90 million they spent on the first movie, and while that will require some tough decisions, we couldn't see that happening at the expense of the creative team.
At least we hope not."
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... um=twitter
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

The negotiations haven't even started with the actors, and he's very interested in making the other two films, no demands.

Lets hope, someone will set this straight.

Elvenstar

Post by Elvenstar »

wow
imo total bs
I would imagine after the Skyfall sucess & $$$ he would love to make movie not based on the moneymaking potential....
DanielCraigFan1

Post by DanielCraigFan1 »

Dunda wrote:If they want they can totally cut out Blomkvist. He's a minor charcter in the second book and even in the third he's only investigating to get Lisbeth out of jail.
That "invastigating work" could be easily done by another character of the book, so that there would be no need to replace the actor playing Blomkvist.

But it would take away from the soul of the books: the Salander-Blomkvist relationship. Even when they are not together in many scenes, the dynamic of their relationship makes the story go futher.

The article states that Daniel wants a raise due to the success of Skyfall, and on the other side they are claiming that the salery is supposed to be cut. So all other actors will get less and Daniel wants more? Not very likely........
I agree! Blomkvist is the main character of the story. The story doesn't work without his person. Cutting him is bullshit! Replacing him is bullshit too. The relationship between Salander and Blomkvist is the central point of the story. Otherwhise it doesn't work. I love the books and I love Mikael Blomkvist. I think it's one of the best parts for Daniel's character. If they cut the part the film doesn't exist as faras I'm concerned.
"You don't have to do. No-one has to do anything."
Daniel in Cannes 2007