Betrayal - Bye, Bye...

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:Just been flicking through the play, it looks as though Jerry (Rafe) has the biggest part. He's in every seen bar one. The other two parts seem fairly equal, Rachels may be slightly bigger but not much in it.
That was my impression as well. Hm...he could have chosen either one, why Robert?

But I have also just flipped through it. Do you think, Roberts role has some meat to it though? I hope...He will let them overshadow him again :evil:
Most of the lines for all characters are quite short. I plan to read it properly over the next couple of days, I'll have more of an opinion then.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Its also a matter of direction. You can make someone more present, if you want to. He is the main draw afterall - so they will see to it, that he is on stage enough.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Liev Schreiber took the role as Jerry back in 2000 with Juliette Binoche.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

I would like to think that Daniel has given this some thought. It's not that he had to go to auditions to get the job.
I'm pretty sure he picked the role himself and has good reasons to pick that one.

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Daniel seems to have a connection to actors who starred in Betrayal :lol:

The play debuted in 1980 with Blythe Danner (who played Sylvias mother in Sylvia), it was on Broadway agan in 2000 with Liev Schreiber (who played Daniels brother in Defiance)

tampa

Post by tampa »

It is no fun reading past reviews of the play. His part is hardly mentioned, as it is the role of Jerry and the wife, that get all the notice. His role seems easily the least interesting and will likely get little noticed by the critics. At least in TSR he played an equal sized role in a two role drama. It doesn't matter who is directing, it is Pinter and they aren't going to rewrite the play or change the text. Rachel obviously wanted to do this, and Daniel seems along for the ride. Possibly he couldnt play Jerry because it might have reflected their personal lives to closely. Its sad to me that he turned down MM and no doubt other good film roles that could show off his range, to do this. I feel the exact same way about another Tattoo film. When is he going to take a role where HE is the star and HE gets the really meaty part. Bond is fine, but his acting is always overlooked in it by the press and the award voters. It was criminal how everyone associated kept getting noms and actual awards while he got none and he is the engine that made SF what it was. I just wish he had taken advantage of the huge success of SF and took a role that could showcase his talent. This play ain't it.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I agree - but its OUR wishes, that reflect this. He might have other ideas and he made it quite clear to me, that he wanted to sorta disappear for a while instead of riding on his success. That is Daniel - like it or not.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Dunda wrote:Daniel seems to have a connection to actors who starred in Betrayal :lol:

The play debuted in 1980 with Blythe Danner (who played Sylvias mother in Sylvia), it was on Broadway agan in 2000 with Liev Schreiber (who played Daniels brother in Defiance)
Michael Gambon also played Jerry in 1978 at the National Theatre, London.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Robert Seems the least interesting part, BUT...and it took me a while to come to this conclusion.

Remember when Lainey predicted (for whatever reason) before C&A and Tatttoo came out that together with Bond and successes with these films, he might end up being the worlds biggest movie star.

By now, I believe - even though he is brave and takes the roles, that interest him - he would go nuts and it wouldn't make him happy AT ALL. HE doesn't need the limelight on him and him alone. He doesn't need to be the big star. He likes to let others shine and just have fun doing whatever. Of course, he wants his films to succeed, because money and sweat is involved, but beyond that, I do think, he decided to learn his lesson - not to look, where the gras is greener, but listen to himself and what he REALLY wants at this time of his life.

He was probably never truer to himself then just now.

caramel

Post by caramel »

Dunda wrote:I would like to think that Daniel has given this some thought. It's not that he had to go to auditions to get the job.
I'm pretty sure he picked the role himself and has good reasons to pick that one.
I agree Dunda. He chose it for a reason; we may never know why. He had first dibs in that play and if wanted Jerry he would have taken it.

I doubt that he shied away from taking on the Jerry role because of his history with Rachel or a fear of their relationship getting more scrutiny.
He would never have touched this play if he is so sensitive on that subject.

My hope is that by sheer performance Robert will stand out more than Jerry.
When it comes to nominations (I know I am overreaching here) will Robert be eligible for lead role?

SG - Where do I go for the script?
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Germangirl wrote: He was probably never truer to himself then just now.
I can agree with that 100%.

Being a fan of this man is no easy task :lol: and that's what keeps my interest in him over the years.
True I only started to "know" him after CR, but when I look back to what he has done, he's always been that way (on a smaller scale, though).

I guess he could have done anything he wanted (in UK) after OFitN and yet he chooses to do different kind of things, switching between TV and small movies and Hollywood productions and a bit of theater here and there.

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

caramel wrote:
Dunda wrote:I would like to think that Daniel has given this some thought. It's not that he had to go to auditions to get the job.
I agree Dunda. He chose it for a reason; we may never know why. He had first dibs in that play and if wanted Jerry he would have taken it.

I doubt that he shied away from taking on the Jerry role because of his history with Rachel or a fear of their relationship getting more scrutiny.

When it comes to nominations (I know I am overreaching here) will Robert be eligible for lead role?

I got mine from Amazon. Very cheap it was to. :wink:
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

There is a 1983 film adaptation of Betrayal featuring Ben Kingsley as Robert, Jeremy Irons as Jerry and Patricia Hodge as Emma. Pinter received an Academy Award nomination and a BAFTA nomination for the best adapted screenplay.

For a review of the film by the late Robert Ebert, see:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /303180301

His review ends with the following paragraph:

'The performances are perfectly matched. Ben Kingsley (of "Gandhi") plays Robert, the publisher, with such painfully controlled fury that there are times when he actually is frightening. Jeremy Irons, as Jerry, creates a man whose desires are stronger than his convictions, even though he spends a lot of time talking about his convictions and almost none acknowledging his desires. Patricia Hodge, as Emma, loves them both and hates them both and would have led a much happier life if they had not been her two choices. But how can you know that when, in life, you're required by the rules to start at the beginning?'

I hope that Daniel, Rachel and Rafe can give perfectly matched performances.
caramel

Post by caramel »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
caramel wrote:

I got mine from Amazon. Very cheap it was to. :wink:
Thx! I will look for one.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

cassandra wrote:There is a 1983 film adaptation of Betrayal featuring Ben Kingsley as Robert, Jeremy Irons as Jerry and Patricia Hodge as Emma. Pinter received an Academy Award nomination and a BAFTA nomination for the best adapted screenplay.

For a review of the film by the late Robert Ebert, see:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /303180301

His review ends with the following paragraph:

'The performances are perfectly matched. Ben Kingsley (of "Gandhi") plays Robert, the publisher, with such painfully controlled fury that there are times when he actually is frightening. Jeremy Irons, as Jerry, creates a man whose desires are stronger than his convictions, even though he spends a lot of time talking about his convictions and almost none acknowledging his desires. Patricia Hodge, as Emma, loves them both and hates them both and would have led a much happier life if they had not been her two choices. But how can you know that when, in life, you're required by the rules to start at the beginning?'

I hope that Daniel, Rachel and Rafe can give perfectly matched performances.
I can sooo imagine that written: Daniel Craig plays Robert, the publisher, with such painfully controlled fury that there are times when he actually is frightening. :lol: