News tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

caramel

Post by caramel »

Sylvia's girl wrote:Synposes and reader reviews here..

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1358 ... efore-i-go

I wouldn't mind seeing him in something like this. A complete change.
Thanks SG! I read a couple of reviews. Sounds very interesting! A good departure from Bond.

"You have your male lead surrounded by people/family that he is both loved and hated by. His inner monologue is funny and self-deprecating"

Damn now my hopes are rising.
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

I haven't read the book but it sounds good from that synopsis. I could see the layers of emotion appealing to him. Must order the book from the library...
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

One thing certainly will apply to him - this man is damaged and this is exactly, what our man loves. So I fear the worst. :sad:

But no, I still don't see anything particularly interesting here. Surely its one to act, but that's about it for me.

And yes, of course, we are only speculating. I am so far alone with not liking the aspect of him doing it and that's fine. Once it got him an Oscar, I will gladly say I was wrong :twisted:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

I think he needs right at the moment a project like this. Also Nichols last movies were either critical acclaimed (Charlie Wilson’s War) or he got Oscar nominations for his actors (Natalie Portman, Clive Owen, Philip Seymour Hoffman). He has a better hit rate as George Clooney who got as a director only for David Strathairn an Oscar Nomination.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Maybelline wrote:I think he needs right at the moment a project like this. Also Nichols last movies were either critical acclaimed (Charlie Wilson’s War) or he got Oscar nominations for his actors (Natalie Portman, Clive Owen, Philip Seymour Hoffman). He has a better hit rate as George Clooney who got as a director only for David Strathairn an Oscar Nomination.
But what good is critical acclaim, if it doesn't make any money? He needs a moneymaker outside of Bond. But I see, I am alone with my dislike of this project. If he takes it, I wish him the best. But I won't stop mourning MM :lol:

But its a smaller thing, he could squeeze it in this summer. :wink:

BTW Hi May :wave:
Last edited by Germangirl on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Dunda wrote:Thanks to A and Good Luck to P! :lol:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/3 ... -spy-movie
I had to laugh at the way they said: She started with Daniel Craig and ends up with PB Was it really a compliment for her? :twisted:

Maybelline

Post by Maybelline »

Germangirl wrote:
Maybelline wrote:I think he needs right at the moment a project like this. Also Nichols last movies were either critical acclaimed (Charlie Wilson’s War) or he got Oscar nominations for his actors (Natalie Portman, Clive Owen, Philip Seymour Hoffman). He has a better hit rate as George Clooney who got as a director only for David Strathairn an Oscar Nomination.
But what good is critical acclaim, if it doesn't make any money? He needs a moneymaker outside of Bond. But I see, I am alone with my dislike of this project. If he takes it, I wish him the best. But I won't stop mourning MM :lol:

But its a smaller thing, he could squeeze it in this summer. :wink:

BTW Hi May :wave:
Hi GG!

You can turn your question and ask what is good about a brainless moneymaker which would have been C&A if it hadn't flopped. I think he is now in a dangerous and comfortable mainstream position. If he doesn't choose wisely his projects and show his great skills he will have a problem post Bond. IMO he hadn't a lot to do in his last movies. Skyfall was okay but more auto pilot Daniel and Dragon Tattoo was Rooney's show. It's about time to make a movie where he can remember the audience he is a great actor and not that he can cash in. He can survive the best if he mixes up indie/arthouse with mainstream.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Yeah, I hear you, but who will watch a movie like this? Its not the most interesting topic IMO, because its been done so often. I want him to stay in the A ligue and for that, yes, I think, stuff like C&A (if it had been successful) is a better guaratee then critically acclaimed projects, that nobody goes to see. He has had that pre Bond. First and formost this business, as most, is about making money. He still has to prove, he can earn them.
Dunno - its a tricky one.

Plud I am very undecided about Nichols as a director - his age and not having done anything for years. Not sure, he still has it.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Oh and I don't agee about Bond being auto pilot. Au contraire, neither was Tattoo. In my book, both films were a nice display of acting skills and I do believe, nobody or not many question his acting skills. What is in question is his ability to put buts in the seats on his own.

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I have completely stopped thinking about what he should do or shouldn't do about his career. Completely and for the first time. To me, his pull out of MM indicates that his career is no longer the most important thing to him (but I'm making an assumption that MM is going to be a big Oscar nominated movie.) and I'm surely not going to worry about his career more than him. I get the time off thing, but I'm not so sure you turn down a movie like MM if you are worried or upset about being typecast as Bond. With his Bond movies, he never has to work again, but of course he will. I think he knows that directors and producers will hire him post-Bond. He's known for his acting abilities, not just that body :twisted: . Tattoo was a plum role, and he was perfect in it. What we don't know are the movies he was considered for but passed over. That would be the 'ouch' part. He's definitely considered a leading man. When his looks go, I think his past performances give him a lock on great character roles.

I can't recall, but did Sam now put of Bond before or after D's decision to bow out of MM? There is A LOT of pressure on the next Bond movie. It had better be great. Surely D's working on the script development now.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I agree, there seems to be a change of mind in him lately. With all the things going on in NY lately and them turning up nowhere shows that. But don't overestimate the "worry" factor, if we or if I am discussing this. It gives us something to talk about, that's it.

If everything he tried in terms of franchises, starting with GC, C&A, Tattoo plus Bond, had worked out, he would be FORCED to work back to back with no end in sight. Would that be better? Probably not. But at least Tattoo should get its sequel.

But yes, I agree, that he isn't too concerned about loosing some of his fame - heck, he might even go for it :lol:

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I agree, GG - his career choices are still a good talking point! :lol:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

sf2la wrote:I agree, GG - his career choices are still a good talking point! :lol:
Good Morning! :D Are you at home?