Betrayal - Bye, Bye...

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

At the end of the day it's his choice whether we like it or not.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Tampa, even though I just said, I won't stop you AND I won't - I would like to offer the solution, that repeating the same negatives again and again isn't good for the tone here and doesn't make your point clearer either. Like I said, having the glass half full is one way to see it, but there are other ways to also pick on brighter sides of the same medal.

So - without wanting to offend you (we have been good pals throughout, I believe) tone it back a bit and give him a chance to make his choices and see what comes out of it. It's - for example - no sure at all, that he won't do a film before Bond etc. And as we know, it only needs ONE right role and he is back on top, IF he wants that, which is totally not clear at this point - at least not to me. He will be working but maybe we should try to get away from wanting him to be a superstar. He is a total team player, who wants to be part of a great product, not necessarely the main part anymore IMO. Let others take the glory,(and deal with it :wink:), as long as he has fun and is doing, what he loves.

So, please continue posting, but try to not make it all sound like he is committing career suicide (even if YOU think, he does) because we don't know, what sort of career he has in mind right now. We will find out in good time.

I know, you just worry, but maybe go away from your own way of thinking, what is best for him. Obviously or at least maybe, he has another plan im mind and will go after that with the same energy as he does everything.

In the Hunger interview, he said, directing, producing has to come naturally to him - maybe that is the next step. OR - with him - he is doing a total blockbuster, because he just cannot NOT do it (just like Bond). Not having a career plan is giving him a lot of freedom to do, whatever feels right at the point.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

tampa

Post by tampa »

Germangirl wrote:Tampa, even though I just said, I won't stop you AND I won't - I would like to offer the solution, that repeating the same negatives again and again isn't good for the tone here and doesn't make your point clearer either. Like I said, having the glass half full is one way to see it, but there are other ways to also pick on brighter sides of the same medal.

So - without wanting to offend you (we have been good pals throughout, I believe) tone it back a bit and give him a chance to make his choices and see what comes out of it. It's - for example - no sure at all, that he won't do a film before Bond etc. And as we know, it only needs ONE right role and he is back on top, IF he wants that, which is totally not clear at this point - at least not to me. He will be working but maybe we should try to get away from wanting him to be a superstar. He is a total team player, who wants to be part of a great product, not necessarely the main part anymore IMO. Let others take the glory,(and deal with it :wink:), as long as he has fun and is doing, what he loves.

So, please continue posting, but try to not make it all sound like he is committing career suicide (even if YOU think, he does) because we don't know, what sort of career he has in mind right now. We will find out in good time.

I know, you just worry, but maybe go away from your own way of thinking, what is best for him. Obviously or at least maybe, he has another plan im mind and will go after that with the same energy as he does everything.

In the Hunger interview, he said, directing, producing has to come naturally to him - maybe that is the next step. OR - with him - he is doing a total blockbuster, because he just cannot NOT do it (just like Bond). Not having a career plan is giving him a lot of freedom to do, whatever feels right at the point.
OK. I will be a good girl, and go back to reading posts for a while. And I could be dead wrong, and he will get incredible reviews for this thing. I DO hope I'm wrong cause I remain a fan.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Don 't step back. And I don't want to lecture you - you don't need that. I openly say, that i think, you are one hell of a strong woman, who I admire immensely for what is not common knowledge around here, but mayby try to strike a middle ground. Its not always black or white. If we just give him credit for not being - what's the name for short on intelligence - then we might find it easier to follow him without worrying, because he is doing it differently to what WE think is right. Let him figure it out...
Last edited by Germangirl on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

I'm glad you're still a fan, Tampa. I realise you care very much about DC's career and reputation. I respect your views and your right to express them but I concur with GG. We don't know what's going on in Daniel's life but he make the choices that feel right to him, for whatever reason. I think personally he like the work but hates the mega stardom. I've had work-related stress illness and I wouldn't want him to put himself through that to entertain me. So as much as I miss seeing new pieces of work, and as much as I regret that not everyone sees what we see in him, I'm happy for him that he's following his heart. X
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Linda Park ‏@realLindaPark 1h

Spending this beautiful NYC afternoon with Mike Nichols, Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz on Broadway #nytheatre #haroldpinter

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

I read GG's and Tampa's posts with interest. I myself was feeling a bit :? last night after reading the initial reports. So much of what I think is mixed feelings. I think we all want EVERYTHING for him and, no-one, not even Daniel can have that. I hope he can strike a balance between film and stage work. I hope he can have recognition for his talents as an actor. I also hope he can do what he feels is right with his career and follow his heart with it all. No actor should be forced to do a movie OR a play with a metaphorical gun held to their head. That does not make for great creative inspiration. Many film actors choose to do plays to bulk out their careers - usually its Shakespeare. Even I don't think we should dismiss the play although I so want to be able to see him in something myself soon. I hope GG is right when she says that 2014 should see him doing something on the big screen. Just my two.... :)
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

NextBondGirl wrote:I read GG's and Tampa's posts with interest. I myself was feeling a bit :? last night after reading the initial reports. So much of what I think is mixed feelings. I think we all want EVERYTHING for him and, no-one, not even Daniel can have that. I hope he can strike a balance between film and stage work. I hope he can have recognition for his talents as an actor. I also hope he can do what he feels is right with his career and follow his heart with it all. No actor should be forced to do a movie OR a play with a metaphorical gun held to their head. That does not make for great creative inspiration. Many film actors choose to do plays to bulk out their careers - usually its Shakespeare. Even I don't think we should dismiss the play although I so want to be able to see him in something myself soon. I hope GG is right when she says that 2014 should see him doing something on the big screen. Just my two.... :)
Talk Benedict Cumberbatch - gosh, I can't even look at him without feeling sick. Its that bad.But he was just voted sexiest actor. I wonder, what i don't see. But then, I really don't care.

SmittenDramaKitten

Is BC in a play?? I wasn't referring to him. I was thinking of Tom Hiddleston who is doing Shakespeare in London this December. I was reading an interview with TH in Total Film today. Tom has a certain charisma even though he's no Daniel. I agree that BC is a bit odd and as an actor he is over rated... :wink:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

NextBondGirl wrote:Is BC in a play?? I wasn't referring to him. I was thinking of Tom Hiddleston who is doing Shakespeare in London this December. I was reading an interview with TH in Total Film today. Tom has a certain charisma even though he's no Daniel. I agree that BC is a bit odd and as an actor he is over rated... :wink:
He is doing SP next year in London. I found im all but grimassing in Star Trek and he makes me feel unwell just looking at him. I haven't had such a major NONLIKE for ever. But he thrills the masses. He must do something right.

SmittenDramaKitten

I watched Star Trek 2 last night and - yes - BC does look like an alien!!! Maybe that was the point! :lol: Sorry, we're getting a bit "off topic" here aren't we?! :wink:
tampa

Post by tampa »

Germangirl wrote:
NextBondGirl wrote:Is BC in a play?? I wasn't referring to him. I was thinking of Tom Hiddleston who is doing Shakespeare in London this December. I was reading an interview with TH in Total Film today. Tom has a certain charisma even though he's no Daniel. I agree that BC is a bit odd and as an actor he is over rated... :wink:
He is doing SP next year in London. I found im all but grimassing in Star Trek and he makes me feel unwell just looking at him. I haven't had such a major NONLIKE for ever. But he thrills the masses. He must do something right.
I agree GG about BC. I know he is a very talented actor, but for me, there is something homely about his face that I just don't like to look at him either. But he has a huge, avid fan base, probably from his work on Sherlock. I know some people think DC is not conventionally handsome, but I, and many others, still find him good looking, with a very striking face.
tampa

Post by tampa »

HLAJ wrote:I'm glad you're still a fan, Tampa. I realise you care very much about DC's career and reputation. I respect your views and your right to express them but I concur with GG. We don't know what's going on in Daniel's life but he make the choices that feel right to him, for whatever reason. I think personally he like the work but hates the mega stardom. I've had work-related stress illness and I wouldn't want him to put himself through that to entertain me. So as much as I miss seeing new pieces of work, and as much as I regret that not everyone sees what we see in him, I'm happy for him that he's following his heart. X
I agree with what you are saying. My husband said the other day when I was whining about this stuff, that we have no idea what is going on in his life. There may have been an illness we don't know about with him, RW, a child. And that caused him to pull back. Hope not, but it's possibly the reason for the time off.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanksfully we saw them going to the gym quite often, so that excludes illness IMO - thankfully... but may it be whatever, we just don't know. You are right.

CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Things like depression or anxiety don't stop people going to the gym - in fact, it's good therapy. I hope neither of them has gone through that, but we just don't know. It's possible. They are intelligent, thoughtful, creative people - so could be susceptible to melancholy. And we know he has overreacted at times in recent months to the paparazzi and members of the public behaving intrusively, which may indicate he wasn't in the best frame of mind. The excessive sweating on stage could indicate a level of anxiety. He also worked damned hard on Skyfall for many months - maybe he felt a bit burned out? No wonder he wanted time off. This is just speculation of course, and I'm no psychologist.
Anyway, I was glad to read some really positive comments in the reviews of the previews today. Made me feel more positive :)
Last edited by CockHargreaves on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.